[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is sci-fi horror a dead genre? We have special effects technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: 1338993066087.jpg (140 KB, 1400x939) Image search: [Google]
1338993066087.jpg
140 KB, 1400x939
Why is sci-fi horror a dead genre?

We have special effects technology to make anything imaginable and no one tries, everyone is lazy.
>>
>>63553463
Nobody is stopping you from writing one. Do you have a premise?
>>
File: Downs Pepe.jpg (8 KB, 242x242) Image search: [Google]
Downs Pepe.jpg
8 KB, 242x242
>>63553463
The same reason this generation will never do a proper Lovecraftian adaptation. Like Lovecraft, sci-fi horror doesn't come from monsters in rubber suits, it comes from the unforgiving view of a universe that views humanity as nothing more than a speck of dust in vast nothingness.

This is the twitter age where everyone has a larger than life voice and the idea that in space no one could hear you scream is "retarded" when we have astronauts doing covers of david bowie songs from the ISS.
>>
>>63553463
They've tried, but failed
>>
File: beyond-the-black-rainbow-2010.jpg (585 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
beyond-the-black-rainbow-2010.jpg
585 KB, 960x1440
>>63553463
We got pic related in 2011 and it was fucking awesome, so I wouldn't say the genre's dead. It can be hard to do right though. Sci-fi sets done on a low-budget or by people who aren't experienced tend to look like dogshit and even with people who know what they're doing you can't do much without a decent amount of money.

With horror it's much more efficient to just use one house and a handheld camera to churn out some shit than to build a big spaceship set and hire experienced professionals to make a big space-monster for you. There is interest though. I'm pretty sure that John Carpenter has expressed an interest in making a Dead Space movie adaption before since he's a big fan of the games and the games draw inspiration from his work.

Have you ever seen a movie called Hardware? It was made in 1989/90 on a budget of ~$300 000 by a South African director working in England if I remember right and it's awesome. I think it's inspirational how much they were able to do with so little. Throwing together talented people is hard but this stuff is very doable.
>>
>>63553673
I hate you for being a frog poster and correct.
>>
>>63553673
Good answer.
>>63553463
Let's say you find yourself on a long international flight with the heads of Paramount and Universal. You bring up space horror. They name off the space horror movies.
>Aliens franchise
>Event Horizon
>Planet Horror
>Prometheus
>Dead Space
etc.

You counter "But...."

Christina Hendricks is sitting in the next seat over ready to give you a handjob if you knock this out of the park.
>>
>>63553673
>>63553830
I think you need to watch it with generalizations that big. There's nothing wrong with the people right now, they just don't know better. What's needed is something ballsy like The Blair Witch Project to remind people of what they really want. Advertising and awards can sometimes make people forget what they're actually interested in and trick them into liking what's being sold instead. One really good movie could bust this whole thing open again.
>>
>>63553867
But what? What am I supposed to be countering? Why did these autists start listing off franchises at the mention of space horror? What point am I trying to make?
>>
>>63553463
>We have special effects technology to make anything imaginable and no one tries, everyone is lazy.

That can be said about everything fucking thing anymore. There's no art to visual entertainment anymore. It is all shit. Why? Because you can make shit from just about anything and people will pay to see it if you market it right.
>>
>>63553905
Well I don't believe things like this are indicative of permanent societal declines, more like fads actually. Just the current "zeitgeist" if you will.
>>
>>63553905
>What's needed is something ballsy like The Blair Witch Project to remind people of what they really want

But that was fucking shit and the start of all this terrible cinema.
>>
>>63553463
>why doesn't CGI make bad ideas good?

you should be the head of a film studio anon
>>
>>63553933
Are you really that fucking stupid?
>>
>>63553933
Christina idly eats an olive (slowly) from out of her martini, and everyone in first class falls silent and looks in your direction.
>>
>>63554021
It was bold and started a paradigm shift in the industry. If we're all unhappy with the current state of the industry somebody should try something equally ballsy to trigger a push into a new direction.

If somebody makes a hyper-successful Dario Argento-like giallo with surreal lighting and a slow pace I can guarantee we'd see a shitload more in no time. It's just a question of whether or not anybody could do it.

I'll acknowledge that the industry has changed since Blair Witch though, and marketers have their consumer's balls in a tighter grip than they ever have in the history of film. It'll be tough as shit to break but I have faith in somebody doing it, and if nobody does I guess I'll just do it myself.
>>
>>63554021
>But that was fucking shit and the start of all this terrible cinema.
Yes, the Blair Witch project did a lot more harm than good. Something like Alien makes more sense, as that movie really changed the landscape.
>>
>>63554048
Apparently. Read what you wrote again and then explain it for me.
>>
We may see a Hyperion Cantos mini-series, that could be interesting but more likely shit.

I would really like to see a Dune prequels series similar to Game of Thrones. Not based on the shitty prequel books obviously, an original story based in the Dune universe following the feuding Great Houses.
>>
File: mistbehemothh.png (328 KB, 1675x900) Image search: [Google]
mistbehemothh.png
328 KB, 1675x900
>>63553673
>>
>>63553704
They tried and died.
>>
>>63554146
That poster didn't post that scene, I did. I was just having fun, and giving you an opportunity to "present" your ideas about space horror. Carry on. Good night.
>>
>>63554212
Will we ever see a book-to-tv adaption as good as the first season of Game of Thrones again? If I could get a guarantee they'd work to those standards I'd be okay with most of my favourite books becoming tv series.

I feel like the later Game Of Thrones seasons have turned into generic tv with a Game of Thrones coat of paint compared to the first season which is a real shame, because I was really into the show for a while before it devolved into BAD PUSSY and DOUBLE FOOKIN' DAGGERS.
>>
>>63553463
Aliens>>>>>>>>>>Predator>Alien>>>>>>Prometheus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alien 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alien Resserection
>>
>>63553463
Because teenagers love spoppy ghost possession shit.

Modern day teenagers don't give a shit about science or conspiracies.
>>
>>63554123
You know I'd bet a lot of people would agree that True Detective S1 was probably one of the best adaptations of the "Lovecraftian storytelling style"ever. And despite what you say I really think this generation is too hipster to let anything along these lines slide without deriding it for being unoriginal. Fuck if it was actually good, they just want to be able to say that they heard it all before. Look at /tv/ and tell me that everything isn't immediately shot down exactly like that these days.
>>
>>63553673
>Like Lovecraft, sci-fi horror doesn't come from monsters in rubber suits, it comes from the unforgiving view of a universe that views humanity as nothing more than a speck of dust

Yeah, buddy you're right, but there's nothing wrong with monster suits, and there are atleast a half a dozen great Lovecraft adaptations.
>>
>>63554343
None that are popular though.
>>
>>63554306
Resurrection was better than 3, champ.
>>
>>63554328

True Detective's plotting was asinine. The first season is held up by the sleek direction of a decrepit south and the two lead performances.

Gordon's Lovecraft output is great, and Necronomicon is a sneaky good anthology picture.
>>
>>63554306
Whoa now, watch those >s

Alien-Aliens-Predator (order a matter of taste) > powergap > Predator 2 > massive powergap > Prometheus > Alien 3 > massive powergap 2 > everything else in the franchise
>>
>>63554391
Incorrect, kiddo.
>>
>>63554269
>ideas about space horror
We need to go find Richard Stanley and convince him to make another horror movie. I think that if we assured him of total creative control he wouldn't ask for much else. The man's work was great while it lasted and I still think he has the potential to be the next Paul Verhoeven.

For an actual movie premise how about a siege movie? Those are great and I don't think there's been a good one in a while. Has anybody here played the Alien vs Predator game that came out in 2010? The opening part of the marine segment of that game was legit very spooky and I see potential in developing what they were going for there.

The early marine segment of AvP2010 consists of wandering through dark, flickery corridors with signs of violence all over the place and skittery noises around and then brief contact with friends that ends in lots of noise and being alone again. I think that the idea of thinking your safe and then having everything go horribly wrong so quickly and shockingly that you can't think quick enough to stop it is freaky and doesn't really happen in movies.

It doesn't have to be Aliens, that's just the premise I like. Somebody who thinks they're safe having it all savagely torn away from them and having to go back into hell after nearly being driven mad the first time. It's like with Newt in Aliens, she'd been living in trash for weeks with everyone she knew dead, but then the big tough space marines arrive and say they can make everything okay again but they turn out to be just as helpless as the colonists.

You could use this premise with lots of things, I just had an interesting thought. Why doesn't somebody try making another DOOM movie?

I'm ending on that. My proposal to these executives is that we make a DOOM movie directed by Richard Stanley.
>>
>>63554444
Quads confirm that you're a fucking pleb.
>>
>>63554275
The first season of GOT had me creaming myself every time an actor delivered well one of my favorite lines from the book (the guy who played King Robert was my favourite).

The first book translated well onto TV I think because the story was more linear with events happening in the same place. The later seasons things get more confusing and the writers start pointlessly changing stuff to suit themselves. The dialogue in the last season really was unforgivably bad.

https://youtu.be/CxOnnu9B9EQ
>>
File: TheBeyond1.jpg (983 KB, 1969x2921) Image search: [Google]
TheBeyond1.jpg
983 KB, 1969x2921
>>63554317
I'm 18 and I have to say there's truth to this. Hell, damnation and possession are ideas that I find spooky and can't get enough of. I sincerely think that Lucio Fulci's zombie movies are some of the best horror movies ever made.

I'm not crazy about contemporary ghost/possession stuff but I was pleasantly surprised by Deliver Us From Evil. I only watched it because I like Eric Bana and the thought of a horror movie set in a city was interesting but I think it turned out to be really interesting. I recently watched Jacob's Ladder and I really liked that too.

I love science-fiction but I'm not that into it with horror. Alien and The Thing and all those are great stuff but outside of that nobody really does much interesting stuff with it. Except for Ridley Scott, Prometheus was fucking awesome no matter what the rest of /tv/ says. It was like Planet of the Vampires with a real budget and a badly needed effects update.
>>
>>63554439
So we're doing the rank-the-alien-movies meme even in more general genre threads? Okay.
Alien=Predator>Aliens=Predator 2>Prometheus>Alien vs Predator>Predators>Alien Resurrection>Alien vs Predator Requirem>Problem Child 2>Alien 3
>>
>>63554586
>badly needed effects update

Ugh, no child. PofV is GOAT, and Prometheus looks like a digital shit-stain
>>
>>63553463
>Why is sci-fi horror a dead genre?
whats new alien movie by Blomkamp and Ridley´s new noPrometeus

it was not so poppular back then and is not as popular today
>>
>>63554586
>Likes the Beyond
>Things Bava has poor effects

Whut.
>>
>>63554667
I like the movie but I also think that PofV looks a bit too cheap in several places. The parts outside of the ships look too much like sets for my liking. Prometheus might be overly tinged blue shit at times but they can really pull off scale much better now.
>>
>>63553463
>Why is sci-fi horror a dead genre?
Name one good sci-fi horror movie besides
>2001
>Alien
>Predator
>Terminator
>Reddit Horizon
>>
>>63554694
What's wrong with The Beyond's effects? The flesh ripping looks kind of goofy in a Hellraiser kind of way but I still think it works. The only think I'd really say could look silly is the spiders. The idea behind the spider scene is terrifying but the way they movie looks kind of stupid. The makeup effects on the zombies are amazing though, I don't think anybody could deny that.

Bava's stuff generally isn't bad but I don't think they quite had enough to pull off an alien planet and a spaceship without looking a bit goofy, but then that might be more due to dated aesthetics than anything else.
>>
>>63553673
Another way to put it is how "horror" is basically just fear of the unknown. All the lovecraft stuff is about how there is shit out there that is so far outside your comprehension, that just glimpsing it will melt your idea of reality, that doesn't even view you the same way you'd view an ant. A less lovecraftian example are those people whom you never see, who's blinds are always closed and their house is in a state of slow decay, but someone has to live there because you can see evidence of life, occasionally. So obviously they're hostile and engaged in practices you can't understand that involve your torture and dismemberment.

But those fears are gone. You want to know who lives in that house? Google it. We've mapped enough of the world to know here there be no dragons or anywhere else. We know what the stars are and how the space between is mostly empty. The enormity of the universe is being brought to manageable levels. People are easily quantified. Even day to day survival is so trivial that people are choosing to revert to older means, just to feel like life has meaning. Studies show youth today don't have nightmares because, in situations that would devolve into nightmares in older generations, people today turn and fight rather than give in to panic.

The universe is still dark. But its no longer scary, because we can shine a light anywhere and find nothing but more empty space.

So, now, rather than seek media that validates our fears, people seek media that depicts people actually doing something other than sitting around waiting to die. Thus, capeshit.
>>
>>63554343
>there are atleast a half a dozen great Lovecraft adaptations
Nigga name three.
>>
>>63554801
Predator 2
Hardware
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Screamers

It's not much, but it's something. And why does nobody acknowledge Predator 2? I think it's a perfectly fine sequel.
>>
>>63554853
Not him, but I'll start off.
>Dagon
>>
>>63554853
The Dunwich Horror
Dagon
Cthulhu
>>
>>63554853
Re-Animator
From Beyond
Dagon
Necronomicon
The Ressurected
>>
>>63554863

Screamers is underrated as fuck, and I actually prefer Predator 2 to Predator 1. 2 does the heavy lifting with the Predator world-building and its more outrageous. The first film doesn't get good until the third act when its Arnie vs. Pred.
>>
>>63554920
Good to see that somebody agrees with me. I've always found Predator kind of boring compared to the sequel.
>>
>>63554850
What a fascinatingly optimistic answer.
>>
>>63554881
>>63554882
>great

>>63554884
Forgot about the first two. Fair enough.
>>
File: km4wg9fwqsxe6ucjwedy.jpg (384 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
km4wg9fwqsxe6ucjwedy.jpg
384 KB, 3840x2160
>>63553463
You meant this WASN'T horror?

I'd be fucking petrified by the thought of having to spend the rest of my life as a glowing blue alien furfaggot.

Plus the back story of the RDA was disconcertingly plausible, but that's secondary.
>>
Because it -- along with the Horror genre -- has little else inspiration in it.

Monsters in space? Done to death.
Portal to Hell in space? Done.
Nefarious race of aliums in space? Done.

There's really not much left to do that's fresh, if anything. Sci-Fi Horror tends to boil down to it being a Slasher in space.
>>
>>63553813
BTBR was beautiful, but the story was slow and the horror weak. It was an interesting visual poem, but not good horror.
>>
File: badass.jpg (90 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
badass.jpg
90 KB, 1024x576
>>63555000

Nice double trips mate.

Also can't belive the movie didn't end with this speech
>>
>>63555092

Good thing movies are actually about presentation and not just random plot/setting points.
>>
>>63554853
Die farbe
>>
File: Planet horror.png (177 KB, 1153x670) Image search: [Google]
Planet horror.png
177 KB, 1153x670
>>63553867
What the fuck is planet horror
>>
>>63555151
This speech actually makes me feel okay about the idea of Earth becoming uninhabitable if it means humanity can go into space before it's too late. Ideally we'd all turn the entire planet into a giant nature reserve once we don't need it anymore but if we could expand into space indefinitely I'd be fine with losing earth.

>>63555132
I didn't mind the slow pace or the horror. I'd say that the horror was only really a focus in a few sections towards the end but when it was there I thought it worked okay. The scene with the mutant in the straight jacket was pretty unnverving and the unmasked sensionaut was creepy as hell.

Nyle out in the wilderness was a completely different kind of movie but still interesting and somewhat effective. I heard an interesting theory about that, I think it was one anon here that once suggested that at the end of the movie Elena has become so powerful due to leaving the facility that she's able to change the genre of the movie she's starring in from a slow-paced science-fiction thriller to a slasher movie, knowing that she'd be assuring her survival as the final girl.

It's not the spookiest thing ever but I think it has some decent horror going on. I'd like to see Cosmatos try doing straight horror, I bet it would be very cool.
>>
>>63554586
>I love science-fiction but I'm not that into it with horror. Alien and The Thing and all those are great stuff but outside of that nobody really does much interesting stuff with it. Except for Ridley Scott, Prometheus was fucking awesome no matter what the rest of /tv/ says.
Agreed, but ...
>It was like Planet of the Vampires with a real budget and a badly needed effects update.
Oh my god that sounds like pure cancer. Am I wrong?
>>
>>63555151
>>63555409
Wasn't that quote fan made?

I have to wonder how many furries were spawned because of that movie but the idea of shedding a damaged, complicated life in favor of a simpler, wholesome life is somewhat appealing to me.[/spolier]

It's like me getting reborn without socially- and emotionally-crippling autism.
>>
>>63555303
At this point, it's just lipstick on a pig. Gussying up the same ol' cliches.
>>
>>63555092
>>63555467
There's nothing new under the sun. The stories people tell today have been told for thousands of years, but it doesn't matter because you can always put a fresh spin on it.
>>
>>63553634
Alien abductions in the WWI trenches
>>
>>63553933
And his best friend is a talking pie who has to go back through time and decide whether his best friend lives or dies
>>
>>63555541
Ron, you've done it again!
>>
>>63555429
Okay, Planet of the Vampires doesn't look bad, but it's certainly dated. Anybody who prefers the look of PofV to Prometheus is probably being a giga-hipster. And I say that as somebody who thinks the original Mad Max is the best by far.
>>
>>63555409

I believe that if we do leave earth someday maybe we will never look back, leaving the planet to be destroyed by the next Extinction Event that comes up.

Ideally, I would like us to leave, but to keep a eye here, keeping it safe.

>>63555466

If it is fan made then I am stealing it for a project of mine.

Nice dubs btw
>>
File: 1449877786246.jpg (277 KB, 1200x1120) Image search: [Google]
1449877786246.jpg
277 KB, 1200x1120
>>63555506
The "Aliens" are actually devolved future humans, who need healthy young men to breed with with fine future ladies like pic related.
>>
>>63555616
The rich are going to leave most of us to die on this polluted earth while they and there families go on to colonize the universe for as long as it lasts.

Kinda like Judgement Day and the Apocalypse actually.
>>
>>63555719

Maybe, maybe, but you know let's be positive here
>>
>>63555719
Could you imagine if the people on Earth managed to pull it together and eventually followed the others into space? The ensuing space war would be glorious.
>>
>>63555404
Probably Galaxy of Terror(1981), you know, the one with the alien rape scene.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.