[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell was racist about that? That was one of the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16
File: Song of the South.png (536 KB, 638x480) Image search: [Google]
Song of the South.png
536 KB, 638x480
What the hell was racist about that? That was one of the most mild movies I've ever seen. God damn PC idiots are morons.
>>
The justification is supposedly "no former slaves should be so happy".
>>
>>63553295
>characters talk like minstrel characters
>>
Scrub Me Mamma > Song of the South

https://youtu.be/UacUR7bPnMM
>>
What the hell was racist about that? That was one of the most mild movies I've ever seen. God damn PC idiots are morons.
>>
Because no one has actually seen it, tumblrtards just read le epic cracked articles about how racist it is.
>>
>>63553321
>unironically using the same word in a sentence twice

hows that script coming buddy?
>>
>>63553295
Liberals only accept portrayals of the traditional segregated south in which blacks were perpetually miserable and physically abused 24/7.
>>
>>63553406
>Because nobody in my freshman class has actually seen it

Fixed.
>>
Eerily happy reconstruction era blacks. Also, tar baby.
>>
>>63553561
That and they have to talk like a well educated backpacker rapper.
>>
>>63553561
You mean, an honest portrayal?
>>
>>63553422
Hey you, screw you!
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 500x330
>>63553295
> old black guy doesn't shoot an evil white male or have a beautiful young blonde wife or be a police captain neurosurgeon president

can you not see the blatant racism of this movie?
>>
>>63553295
It's not blatantly racist, nobody is saying so. It's just that it glosses over the horrors of slavery for an idealized, beautified picture of the south, and uses caricatures of blacks instead of actual characters.

Barring the racism, it's actually a pretty good movie.
>>
>>63553762
>It's just that it glosses over the horrors of slavery for an idealized, beautified picture of the south, and uses caricatures of blacks instead of actual characters.
This. The lovable, dotting "mammy" slave character that Remus is the male equivalent of never really existed. Not that slaves and servants on friendly or even familial terms with their owners/bosses didn't exist, but the wise old black person who is happy just to serve is largely a myth that this film plays into
>>
>>63553762
>>63553929
Howdy reddit!
>>
File: 4ec.jpg (71 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
4ec.jpg
71 KB, 803x688
>>63553969
oh, you
>>
>>63553969
>its reddit to talk about mammies as cultural myths
>but non-stop threads about disproving the Holocaust, Pharaohs really being white, and slaves being treated perfectly fine are ok
Pick a side, you either support historical revisionism or you don't
>>
>>63554041
>>63554070
Nice posts there, redditors. You're probably looking for the daily blacked threads, unfortunately this isn't one of them.
>>
>>63554070
It's b8 m8
>>
File: 1449365573857.jpg (263 KB, 733x798) Image search: [Google]
1449365573857.jpg
263 KB, 733x798
WHO REDDIT HERE
>>
>>63553762
>>63553929

> They are such pathetic morons to believe not a single black man wasn't happy.
>>
>>63553354
What the fuck
>>
>>63553762
It's a movie, not a history book. Wanting the former to be the latter is ridiculous and makes me wonder why you even watch movies in the first place.
>>
>>63553762
>It's just that it glosses over the horrors of slavery for an idealized, beautified picture of the south, and uses caricatures of blacks instead of actual characters.

Nope. It's aim isn't to even address slavery, so its history is irrelevant. To think there were no happy blacks under slavery, or following it, is just outright stupid. The character in Song of the South might be somewhat of a caricature, but I guarantee that it was inspired by actual people -- I guess people that liberals don't think existed because of their own warped view of history where stereotypes never exist.
>>
>>63554233
Historical criticism, look it up.

The problem is many people left the film thinking that was what slavery was like, and that was what all of slavery was like.
>>
>>63554253
>because it happened, that gives us the right to focus on it alone.

>It's main character is a slave; you're a moron if you think it has anything to do with slavery.
>>
>>63553295

Shame Disney won't give it a proper release in the States because 'NOOOO, IT'S RACIST'.

I should get a job at their home video division and authorize the release of Song of the South.
>>
>>63554334
Well, there's nothing we can do about stupid people. GOAT Reconstruction-era South film coming though!
>>
>>63554425
That Toland cinematography being kept locked up is a crime.
>>
>>63554428
>Reconstruction-era
>not acknowledging how many blacks took office
>not acknowledging the many white hate groups
>>
>>63554425
the problem is that they don't have any home format that caters to adult fans anymore. RIP Disney Treasures boxsets.
>>
>>63554452
Greg Toland worked on this movie? DISNEY, RELEASE IT, YOU SJW KEKOLDS!
>>
>>63554428
>feed people a false/twisted narrative
>surprised when people criticize it
>"There's nothing I can do about people actually BELIEVING the lies!"
>>
>>63554425
I've got a 16mm copy on my pc looks good besides some faded colors I think there are 35mn prints out there with collectors.
>>
>>63553677

Fun fact: all 77s are retarded.
>>
>>63553929
>The lovable, dotting "mammy" never really existed

I'm from Louisiana, lad. These nigresses absolutely exist.
>>
>>63554174
>>63554253
Its not a matter of never existing, but furthering the idea that slaves/servants were happy and subservient and beloved that people have issue with. It propagates a picture of slavery/post-war South that never happened
>The Mammy was created by white Southerners to redeem the relationship between black women and white men within slave society in response to the antislavery attack from the North during the ante-bellum era, and to embellish it with nostalgia in the post-bellum period. In the primary records from before the Civil War, hard evidence for her existence simply does not appear.(3)
>Very few former slaves mentioned any older relatives who had the role of mammy in antebellum times. In fact, they more commonly mentioned former slaves as having been raised by the white mistress as opposed to the adult black women who took care of the white children.
>Like the field hands, those black bondswomen who worked indoors were unlikely to be overweight because their food stuffs were severely rationed. They were more likely to be light as dark because household jobs were frequently assigned to mixed-race women. They were unlikely to be old because nineteenth-century black women just did not live very long; fewer than 10 percent of black women lived beyond their fiftieth birthday.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ma99/diller/mammy/fiction.html

For the record, I'm just explaining the argument, im not actually upset about whether a disney film from the 40s is racist today
>>
>>63553762
>it's actually a pretty good movie.
I don't agree.

IMO it was a shit movie, especially when compared to the other Disney animated features at the time.

Your other point I agree with completely.

No one would buy SotS if it were available. Just like no one would buy "The Three Caballeros". It just wasn't that great of a film. I bet one day Disney *will* release it...and no one will care.
>>
>>63554551
Should have said "never existing period" and "largely never happened"
>>
>>63553295
Ironically, Remus wasn't allowed to go to the showing.
>>
>>63553929

We now.get upper class African descendants in period pieces set in a past where that simply didn't exist either.

For diversity in casting or something I forget the reason.

What's the difference?
>>
>>63554711
>Whats the difference
I'd say there isn't one, if you're only talking about historical accuracy. Having such a prevalent cultural image of slavery with little basis in history and painting it as partially positive is worse than diversity casting though
>>
>>63554551
Assuming all this is true why shouldn't it be released if anti racism can't stand up against a cartoon from the 1940s then it shouldn't exist a simple Blu Ray release and give the profits to black charities or causes like sickle cell research wouldn't be a horrible sin.
>>
>>63554846
I don't think it should be hidden either

I'm almost positive I saw the entire thing on an awful VHS as a kid, Remus and all. Don't know how my grandma got that
>>
>>63554787

The other example is the exact same.

Instead of acknowledging that African des end ant a were not allowed to climb up in society even when not slaves covers the indignities and atrocities that happened during that era, presenting an inclusive society that was never so, a more positive view of the past that was actually pretty bad.
>>
>>63554551
>but furthering the idea that

God damnit how mongoloid can SJWs be. Nobody expects you to believe ONE SINGLE CHARACTER from ONE SINGLE STORY is about the WHOLE HISTORY OF THE ERA. God damnit. It's like saying watching a romantic comedy about 1 white guy and 1 white girl is about ALL WHITE PEOPLE.
>>
File: run nigger run.png (74 KB, 304x164) Image search: [Google]
run nigger run.png
74 KB, 304x164
>>63553295
There is only one Song of the South that is allowed today.
>>
>>63555196
Classic.
>>
>>63555196
Only classic was the real deal, truly classic Dano.
>>
If SotS is racist because it portrays a non-existent happy black slave man by glossing over the horror of slavery to assuage guilt, does Django do the same by presenting a revenge fantasy that never occurred to restore black masculinity?
>>
File: run nigger run.gif (3 MB, 380x205) Image search: [Google]
run nigger run.gif
3 MB, 380x205
>>63553295
There is only one Song of the South that is allowed today.
>>
>>63555179
>implying SotS existed in a void
>implying Remus is an original character
The stereotype had existed for 80 years at that point, they obviously built the film off those ideas

>>63555328
No, because Django is known to be a fantasy. "Happy black slave" was assumed truth by a lot of people. If time goes on and people think Django is based on reality then it would be the same
>>
>>63555179
>It's like saying watching a romantic comedy about 1 white guy and 1 white girl is about ALL WHITE PEOPLE.
Yeah! Or like saying watching a romantic comedy about 1 black guy and 1 white girl is about ALL OF SOCIETY.
>>
Yes.

It's pandering, black people never got that chance, even after slavery, it was truly awful and presenting it so, assuages the guilt of it's white creators, as if by creating the fantasy, they show, they are not as bad. But it supposes low intelligence of an audience that will celebrate the violence and forget it never happened. Injustice like the type presented was not corrected, even now centuries later.
>>
>>63555465 was meant to reply to >>63555328
>>
>>63555465
why,do,you,type like, this
>>
>>63555431
>Django is known to be a fantasy.

Song of the South has FUCKING CARTOON RABBITS IN IT you mongoloid piece of shit.
>>
File: 1428694355485.jpg (8 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1428694355485.jpg
8 KB, 249x243
As a coon this movie is bittersweet.

On one hand it saved a treasury of african-american folklore which would have been lost to the sands of time, but on the other I really think the presentation could have been better.

Then again my grandma told B'rer Rabbit stories in a ridiculous deep south slave accent despite being a college educated northerner with a natural midwest accent.
>>
>>63553382
masterpiece desu
>>
>>63553354
That...

...was beautiful
>>
I don't get why people are so intent on erasing the fact slavery ever even existed? You don't see us banning any classic movie about war because of the fear of offending veterans. Why is slavery so taboo?
>>
File: 1.png (577 KB, 1067x738) Image search: [Google]
1.png
577 KB, 1067x738
Someone was watching this movie secretly lately.
>>
>>63555600
I don't think anyone else ITT knows 'Uncle Remus' was a 19th century book, mang.
>>
>>63555600
>implying black people post on 4chan
>>
>>63555551
Way to keep missing the fucking point. Disney did not invent these stereotypes, they existed for nearly a century and by making a film centered around them Disney pushed these false images of happy subservient slaves onto a new generation. Obviously SotS is a cartoon, and I agree that it makes any actual "harm" done seem irrelevant, but its still there if you find these depictions offensive to begin with
>>
The song has been bastardized for white girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1CQWmNiInE
>>
>>63555600
I tried reading B'rer Rabbit once. It was written in such niggerish oogabooga ebonics that I literally could not get past the first couple of pages.
>>
>>63555857

It was part of a Disneyland commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvx9c8s1rHQ
>>
>>63553295
apparently it makes blacks look undignified, or something. now whether that is true or not is debatable. desu i think the minstrel stereotype is pretty benign compared to what a lot of people think about now
>>
>>63553295
>Let me axe you a question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4lpu_9iKE
>>
File: Ashanti-Akuaba-doll-big.jpg (53 KB, 818x1229) Image search: [Google]
Ashanti-Akuaba-doll-big.jpg
53 KB, 818x1229
>>63555821
Good cracka...that's correct...hehe...
>>63555912

It takes a trained ear

Try reading the Anansi stories in Jamaican patois.

"Him cal' Anansi. Heem teeny tiny bot e' go uh beeg bren"
>>
>>63555912

It seems your intellect is inferior if you can't get that.
>>
>>63553382
The flick which brought the downfall of art film.
>>
>>63555977
ERROR: YouTube said: This video is available in Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Albania, Armenia, Angola, Antarctica, Austria, Australia, Åland Islands, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Burkina Faso, Bulgaria, Bahrain, Burundi, Benin, Saint Barthélemy, Brunei Darussalam, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba, Bhutan, Bouvet Island, Botswana, Belarus, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Congo, the Democratic Republic of the, Central African Republic, Congo, Switzerland, Côte d'Ivoire, Cook Islands, Cameroon, China, Cuba, Cape Verde, Christmas Island, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Djibouti, Denmark, Algeria, Estonia, Egypt, Western Sahara, Eritrea, Spain, Ethiopia, Finland, Fiji, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Micronesia, Federated States of, Faroe Islands, France, Gabon, United Kingdom, Georgia, Guernsey, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greenland, Gambia, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Greece, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Guinea-Bissau, Hong Kong, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Croatia, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Isle of Man, India, British Indian Ocean Territory, Iraq, Iran,
>>
>>63556459
Islamic Republic of, Iceland, Italy, Jersey, Jordan, Japan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Comoros, Korea, Democratic People's Republic of, Korea, Republic of, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Libya, Morocco, Monaco, Moldova, Republic of, Montenegro, Madagascar, Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of, Mali, Myanmar, Mongolia, Macao, Mauritania, Malta, Mauritius, Maldives, Malawi, Malaysia, Mozambique, Namibia, New Caledonia, Niger, Norfolk Island, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, Nepal, Nauru, Niue, New Zealand, Oman, French Polynesia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Poland, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Pitcairn, Palestine, State of, Portugal, Palau, Qatar, Réunion, Romania, Serbia, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Singapore, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Slovakia, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Senegal, Somalia, South Sudan, Sao Tome and Principe, Sint Maarten (Dutch part), Syrian Arab Republic, Swaziland, Turks and Caicos Islands, Chad, French Southern Territories, Togo, Thailand, Tajikistan, Tokelau, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Tonga, Turkey, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Province of China, Tanzania, United Republic of, Ukraine, Uganda, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Holy See (Vatican City State), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of, Viet Nam, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Samoa, Yemen, Mayotte, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe only
>>
>>63555977
>be in Peru
>unavailable
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT FUCK MWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: c09.png (334 KB, 739x603) Image search: [Google]
c09.png
334 KB, 739x603
>>63553969
>Howdy
You're the kind of reason why I visit this board. Thank you.
>>
>>63553650
>tar baby.

Tar Baby isn't racist, though. It's a story about a baby literally made out of tar that sticks to everything and creates a mess. For a long time, it was a metaphor for being in a bad situation you couldn't get out of.

The only reason people think it's racist is because of how it sounds.
>>
>>63557161
enjoy your vacation, don't forget to kekpost on the way out like the rest of your compatriots
>>
>>63555790
Apparently Walt Disney was a big fan of those stories because he grew up with them. Song of the South was actually a passion project for him, and he cared more about it than any other movie he made, which makes how Disney treats it kind of sad.
>>
Honest, the only movies that won't get criticized for racism are ones that will bend over backwards and make block people, Muslims, etc look really great or the movies that basically exclude them and are all white in their casting. So, movies will go one of two ways.
>>
>>63557366
Everything about modern Disney is depressing.
It's one of the few things that make hope that either heaven is real and Walt made it so he won't have to worry about his company or all that exists is but matter and he is just rotting into dust, away from this gay world.

Some shit just feels like it's done on purpose to fuck with his memory.
>>
>>63557675
*make me hope
>>
File: 1445485804015.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445485804015.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>63557675
Disney television is great
>>
>>63553354

damn son that short-haired qt has got it going on
>>
>>63557838
I don't get what you're trying to say with this gif.
>>
>>63553318
You're saying a man who has been just freed and enjoying a walk in the park without the trouble of being hunted down by his master shouldn't be happy?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.