[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Twilight Zone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 39.jpg (115 KB, 788x542) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
115 KB, 788x542
>binge watch the original Twilight Zone series because I've only seen a couple of episodes and was never quite familiar with the show.
>come across this episode
>just now finished it

Holy shit, I wasn't ready for that. What else do I have to look forward to?
>>
File: 5467.jpg (8 KB, 255x247) Image search: [Google]
5467.jpg
8 KB, 255x247
>>63552036\

>binge
>>
Only edgy Redditors watch TTZ
>>
>>63552060
>>63552086
Isn't this board great?
>>
>tfw some of these creep me out still

>the kids playing in the pool going to a different world
>the tulpa one with the girl at the trainstation
>the travel to mars and theres humans but they put you in an exhibit

I like seeing the 60's perspective too, the fact that they thought there could be martians back then, the ww2/cold war era fears, etc

Great show, something that could never be done again today honestly with how things have changed and in the age of the internet
>>
>>63552036
That's not even a particularly great episode.
>>
What's the ep, OP? Only watched randoms myself, not familiar.
>>
>>63552036
>Martin! Is it so bad where you're from?

>I thought so, Pop. I've been living on a dead run, and I was tired. And one day I knew I had to come back here. I had to come back and get on the merry-go-round, and eat cotton candy, and listen to a band concert. I had to stop and breathe, and close my eyes and smell, and listen.

>I guess we all want that. Maybe when you go back, Martin, you'll find that there are merry-go-rounds and band concerts where you are. Maybe you haven't been looking in the right place. You've been looking behind you, Martin. Try looking ahead.

So many feels desu senpai. I don't know why this episode gets overlooked for episodes with ebin twists like

>ITS LE COOKBOOK
>>
>>63552060
What's wrong with the term?
>>
>>63552242
Walking Distance. Season 1, Episode 5.
>>
>>63552285
I have autism so it triggers me for no reason, I don't know why.
>>
>>63552036
Any ep with Jack Klugman is gold.
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 1000x729) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 1000x729
reminder

the outer limits > ttz
>>
>>63552289

Oh, I have seen it. Definitely - it was ranked among the best when I was looking for episodes to watch, so I checked it out. Didn't stick with me though. Even reading the summary just now, I'd struggle to say why it stands out to people as great.
>>
>>63552251
Ehhh those episodes are still pretty good they've just been sort of overexposed by too many pop culture references and being overplayed in marathons and such.

>Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?
>Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
>Eye of the Beholder
>Time Enough at Last
>Night of the Meek

SyFy isn't aware you can have a TZ marathon without these and fucking forget about ever seeing one of the hour long ssn 4 eps. Those NEVER get aired.
>>
>>63552188
I don't really think they thought there could be martians, rather the idea of martians being central to sci-fi mythos was still common back then, thanks to War of the Worlds and similar, which WERE written at a a time where the idea that there could be Martians was fairly mainstream. Here, "Martians" are a stand-in for any alien people, and of course an allegory for human interaction as always,
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-11-21h12m34s254.png (352 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-11-21h12m34s254.png
352 KB, 720x540
>>63552385
The Outer Limits had Gerd Oswald for fourteen episodes while the best the Twilight Zone had was Jacques Tourneur for one episode. No contest.
O.B.I.T. is a great episode.
>>
>>63552251
Walking Distance is still considered a major classic. It's not exactly an underrated episode. If I wasn't drunk I'd name some more underrated emotional episodes but none come to mind right now. Dude, alcohol, I'm laughing my ass off.
>>
>>63552251

>ITS LE COOKBOOK

I was like 13 when I first saw that episode and I was so unsettled by the revelation of what was happening, I don't think I've watched that episode since.
>>
>>63553034
The Witching Pool gets my vote for feels. I remember wanting this to happen to me when I was a kid.

The Midnight Sun and The Silence get my votes for best twist endings too.
>>
>>63553400
Yeah, and divorce was so vulgar then, there was a lot more sympathy for the children of divorce than there is now, where we just act like it's okay and normal behavior.
>>
>TTZ
>Alfred Hitchcock Presents
>Outer Limits

Why did the 50s/60s have so many GOAT anthology series?

Nothing on modern TV even comes close to the stories they were able to tell in only 20 minutes.
>>
File: Police-Story.jpg (69 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Police-Story.jpg
69 KB, 1024x768
>>63553632
Pic related was a good hour-long 70s anthology cop series. 'The True Detective of its day,' as writer of four episodes Michael Mann called it.
>>
>>63552036
i just marathoned the first 10 minutes of the first episode, does it gets good at the end?
>>
>>63553632
AHP was truly the GOAT anthology series, not quite as consistent as TTZ but it's best episodes (mostly the ones Hitchcock directed) were on another level.
>>
>>63553632

Nigga you left out Ultra Q
>>
>>63552086
YOU GO FUCK YOURSELF, COCKSUCKER!!! THE TWILIGHT ZONE IS THE GREATEST TV SHOW THE MEDIUM HAS EVER PRODUCED, SO GO SUCK YOUR FATHERS SHIT OFF YOUR MOTHERS STRAP-ON, CUNT!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>63552251

Fun fact: the guy who played Martin ended up murdering his wife before killing himself. He won an Oscar as well.
>>
>>63552196
It is if you're near that age!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>63553632
The 80s and early 90s gave us some pretty good stuff.

>Tales from the Darkside
>Monsters
>Tales from the Crypt
>Freddy's Nightmares
>Friday the 13th
>80s Twilight Zone

After that it seems like everything from scifi to sitcoms to drama went with a more serialized format and so amthologies and atand alone episodes almost seem passe. Or maybe I just don't watch enough new shows and I'm missing something.
>>
>>63554726
Nope, you're correct. TV went away from anthological programs which is a fucking shame because there's THOUSANDS of GREAT short stories/novellas that would make for excellent TV. The last one of any note was Masters of Horror but that done cheap and most of the episodes sucked shit!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>63554794
Yeah TTZ and other anthologies are directly responsible for getting me into authors like Charles Beaumont, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson and others so I know there's an untapped wealth of stories and writers who actually are alive out there.

Hell, even Stephen King, whose novels I'll admit I don't really care for but I think his shorter stuff os pretty damned good, his best writing really. He's got enough material to script a show for years.
>>
>>63553400

>The Midnight Sun and The Silence get my votes for best twist endings too.

The Midnight Sun was a pretty worthless twist ending. Surprise! The world is still doomed, just in a slightly different way! Yeah, whatevs.
>>
>>63555037
I think short stories/novellas are best for genres like Horror and Sci-fi. Give me something tightly constructed with a nice punch that doesn't bore me. I also miss anthology films. Creepshow, Sin City and Pulp Fiction are my favorites!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>63553400
If you spend enough time at the bottom of the pool, you will have visions of another world. Too bad about the drowned children.
>>
>>63554649
Fuck off back to /toy/, Greg.
>>
>>63555266
MY NAME ISN'T GREG, SHITHEAD!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>63553400
I feel Two is very underrated. It's a very sweet episode with a lot of feels.
>>
>>63552188
Mirror Images fucking creeped me out too
>>
>>63552843
>SyFy isn't aware you can have a TZ marathon without these and fucking forget about ever seeing one of the hour long ssn 4 eps. Those NEVER get aired.

I've noticed Netflix streaming has seasons 1,2,3 and 5 but NOT 4.

I have Season 4 on DVD and it's not much to write home about. Most episodes are overlong and feel very padded. When Hitchcock's show went to an hour long it suffered the same problems.
>>
The only more "modern" series that ever captured the feel of TOL/TZ anthology series' was Amazing Stories. Not quite on the level, but I really loved that show.

It's a really simple premise, but One For the Angels is a favorite of mine among the TZ episodes. Filibustering Death is a hell of a thing.
>>
Guys, I need help. When I was a kid, I remember watching an episode of an anthology sci-fi/horror show where a window to another universe opens up near/inside of this family's house out in the country, and they watch this other seemingly normal, sort of old-timey family go about their days in the other universe. Long story short, at the end the family dog or something gets into the other universe, and the alt-universe family eats it. The episode ends with the kid from the alt universe banging on the window with a bone, testing for when the window will become a door and he can get through into our universe and eat the main family. Does anyone know what show I'm rambling about? It was probably produced in the 90s, and I remember it being slightly low-rent as far as production values go. Plz respond.
>>
>>63555384
I rewatch Two every now and again. Always get misty about it. It's a perfect work.
>>
>>63555643
I remember seeing this episode too. I think it might be from the 90's Outer Limits.
>>
>>63555723
There's a very good chance that you're right. I'm gonna dig through Wikipedia to see if I can find it unless anyone knows it. I wonder if TOL is on Netflix like TTZ is
>>
>>63555890

I tried to help you out and look through the episode list/summary of TOL during the 90s and couldn't find anything that sounded like what you're describing.

Sounds cool though; maybe I just glossed over it.
>>
>>63555949
Hmm, the mystery deepens. I appreciate the help, anon! I will redouble my efforts.
>>
>>63554726
I reallyliked the 80s episode 'A Matter of Minutes' with the Minute Men. It freaked me out as a kid,
>>
>>63556559
*80s Twilight Zone
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.