[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: file.png (1 MB, 1137x558) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1137x558
What went wrong?
>>
>>63542386
Not enough orc on elf action
>>
Terrible CGI
>>
>>63542386
Needed more legolas
>>
>>63542386
Splitting it in three instead of two
>>
>Not realizing the real movie is the 20 hours of Appendices
>>
i liked it
>>
>>63542386

Del Toro got bored waiting for the background shit to get sorted so he could film the Hobbit, so he left and Peter Jackson had to pick up the pieces.
Jackson didnt have any time to prepare so just had to shoot Del Toros half finished draft.

Jackson had 3 years to prepare for Lord of the Rings, he had a week for the Hobbit.
>>
>>63542386
>First poster: Orange
>Second poster: Gray
>Third poster: Orange & Gray

POETRY
>>
>>63542963
>he had a week for the Hobbit.
more like 5 months

but still that's probably why it turned out like it did
>>
>>63542963
>>63542978
Jackson didn't even use del toros draft, he started again from scratch.

He was explains what went wrong here:

https://youtu.be/SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
>>63542386
>Peter Jackson had no idea what he was doing
>No prep time
>tons of greenscreen scenes
Based Martin was the only good thing about it
>>
To little source material. In LotR's they essentially cut out all the stuff that had little to do with the narrative, and while it lost a lot of charm, it gained a lot more feelings of being a "epic".

While in The Hobbit, they added a lot of stuff that didn't need to be their to appear more epic, and it didn't really work as well with the more "children's book" inspired tale.

It ended up feeling more like your generic blockbuster marvel type thing. Like it's changes from this silly little adventure to this bombastic and it just ends up a boring mess.

That and quite frankly Weta botched a lot of their work and stuff feels like they would fit right into a LARP rather than a fantasy world.

I think a lot of people complain a bit to much about the greenscreens and CGI, especially seeing as they were used a hell of a lot in LotR's as well, and I think it's a fairly unimportant aspect in terms of what made the movies fail.
>>
>>63543072
Damn, never realized the production issues with the movies. No wonder the quality between trilogies differs so vastly.
>>
the first one was good, not FotR but good
>>
>>63543176
The green screens and CGI are excessive though. Most of the fights feel weightless because its just cgi legolas jumping on cgi rocks fighting a cgi orc. And then you have some of the stuff like the smaug chasing the dwarves scene or half the scenes they cut from tbofa
>>
>>63543110
While he did good what he was given. I wish they would choose an actor that felt more like Bilbo. He felt more like a snarky cross person rather than a overly polite, kind old man.
>>
File: poor PJ.png (1 MB, 1234x636) Image search: [Google]
poor PJ.png
1 MB, 1234x636
Hackson was depressed and had no idea what he was doing.
>>
>>63543263
He realized he's fucked.
>>
They stretched it out too much. It should have been two movies at most, definitely not a trilogy.
>>
This should have been good because like the original trilogy it utilizes the hero's odysse template but somehow they managed to make it feel very weird and give it a contrived unnatural vibe

I blame the nigger background extras in coonlaketown tbqh
>>
>>63542386
everything
>>
>>63543230
To be honest I think a lot of the time the fights feel pretty weightless in LotR's as well. Like you can feel they are just slashing and falling in the air, and if they do actually hit something it's a light bump on their armor that barely does anything.

Though I will admit I do wish they would have used more costumes for the orcs and stuff.

Greenscreen I didn't find a huge problem with. I mean, if anything they seemed to be used fairly similar to how it was in LotR's. Just instead of scale models superimposed it's CGI.
>>
>>63542386
Not enough preparation
Script not finished before filming
Filming scenes with no script ready
A cast who all looked the same
Adding characters and storylines thatha t did not belong
Splitting it into 3 films
Turning a children's story into a LOTR clone
Not really giving a shit
The distributor deciding on a release date before even begining filming
Having a skinny depressing lead actor, rather than a fat jolly hobbit
Spending so much time on the battle and very little time with the dragon
Casting a popular actor as the dragon, but not giving him a memorable voice
Forgetting this is a children's story, not a battle epic
Forgetting (as Lucas did in the prequels), story, story, story, characters, characters, characters the special effects are there to add flavor they are not the main ingredient
Not stopping a half or even quarter assed production, backing up and doing it right
It was a giant turd from day one and everybody knew it, they did it for the payday and nothing else
>>
>>63542386
>Shitty cgi
>awkward shoehorned romance plot
>many terrible action scenes
>no talking eagles
>bad soundtrack compared to lotr
It's not necessarily a bad trilogy, it's enjoyable but doesn't come close to the lotr trilogy.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.