[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of this? Won't any word processor work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 71jetzDNtuL._SX425_.jpg (31 KB, 425x478) Image search: [Google]
71jetzDNtuL._SX425_.jpg
31 KB, 425x478
What is the point of this? Won't any word processor work?
>>
>>63539150
You wouldn't use Blender for a high budget production would you?
>>
>>63539150
It helps you format better, and keeps shit like margins and headings in check.

I personally use Celtx, but for some reason they've fucked up something awful and you can't create JUST a script anymore. Has to come with Storyboards, shot lists, all that bullshit. Only way to get a regular script is by using the mobile app version.
>>
>>63539150
does it come with the worn typewriter font?
probably something to do with margins for characters and directions and stuff. but yeah you could gat a tex template or set up word i guess
>>
>>63539322
I have been using an add-on for Google Docs that has been working well.

All of the formatting looks to be in place, am I likely doing something horribly wrong?
>>
>>63539340
I think that is just Courier New.
>>
>>63539150
Its a shit program. I hate using it, but I think some sort of litmus test (ie. if you are serious about screenwriting, you will shell out money for a shit program that everyone agrees is the "industry standard" just to exclude poor Word amateurs.)
>>
>>63540031
Well, post some and let's look.
>>
>>63539255
Blender is actually pretty powerful.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (61 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
61 KB, 640x400
>>63540031
There is nothing wrong with Screenplay Formatter, it may require some you to do some of the work yourself (especially with organizing the parts of your script) but it gets the job done usually and allows the realtime collaboration that Google Docs provides.
>>
File: ss-2015-12-11-19-19-45.png (198 KB, 1679x1029) Image search: [Google]
ss-2015-12-11-19-19-45.png
198 KB, 1679x1029
>2017
>not using emacs
>>
I don't get how Final Draft and even Celtx don't have real-time collaboration already.
>>
>>63540306
Is that using Fountain?
>>
>>63540351
sure
>>
>>63540330
Final draft does. Its industry standard for a reason, and any shitter who uses a google doc template or writerduet or whatever the fuck flavor of the month program is hopping around is just a hobbyist.

If you're gonna take screenwriting seriously, use Final Draft. Otherwise your just fucking around.

>sell your screenplay
>studio asks for the .fdx file
>>
What are the features that makes it so good?
>>
>>63540351
Yes, emacs has it built in.
>>
>>63540397
It is not like Google Docs' version.
>>
>>63540428
Easy formatting, movie script specific features (for example, it understands scenes and if for example you want to switch a scene around it will automatically change the scene numbers accordingly, while if you were using Word you'd have to change the numbers for each scene manually)
>>
>>63540397
>not just converting it
>>
>>63540222

hahahaha poor cunt
>>
>>63540397
The Colabowriter on Final Draft sucks. Every time I've tried to use it, it drops about every 10th keystroke.
>>
I really fucking hate MS Word. I had to do some feasibility study for one of my classes and one of my friends who already took the class told me that there's a minor thing that the professor takes off for (putting page numbers on the title page and table of contents).

So you think "Okay, word has a feature that lets me choose where to start the page number, right?"

Nope. Word does not have this feature. You have to do some shitty, ghetto work around that complete breaks the pagination of your document.

I might pirate this shit.
>>
>>63540397

Lol
>>
>>63540940
>Nope. Word does not have this feature. You have to do some shitty, ghetto work around that complete breaks the pagination of your document.
what the fuck are you some retard
insert section break, add page numbers, restart numbering from this section
childs play.
use markup like latex if you are poor
>>
>>63541201
>insert section break, add page numbers, restart numbering from this section

That's the dumb workaround I'm talking about. I should be able to open a dialogue box that lets me choose which pages to paginate. Fucking LibreOffice has this shit and it's freeware.
>>
>>63539255
>Implying any of us are making high budget productions

But seriously OP, pirate it. It's not worth a cent for a slightly modified version of Word.
>>
>>63539150
If word processing could let you get your ideas down on paper as fast as final draft, then yes.

Also, FD was on sale around thanksgiving. upvote if you picked it up for a discount price.

<----- upvote
>>
It does all the formatting for you on the fly so you don't even have to think about it.

Nobody is going to take a script written in Word seriously. It makes it look like you just starting writing this week.
>>
>>63540397
As someone who actually works in "the industry" people can tell right away just from looking at your screenplay if you aren't using final draft and if you aren't nobody will really take you seriously.
>>
>>63541625
Reader or assistant, senpai?
>>
Anyone here use Trelby? It's what I've been using the past few months. Cant stand Final Draft for some reason, but Trelby is pretty good for me. 6-7/10 cant complain since its free
>>
>>63539150
WritersDuet is superior for its collaboration tools alone.
>>
>>63539150
It does not run on Linux.
>>
>>63541725
fuck off reddit
>>
>>63541774
Just use wine
>>
>>63539150
I write all my posts on /tv/ in that and then copy paste here.
>>
>>63542343

> I didn't go the cinema. I went to /tv/.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.