[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why did Prometheus kill the humans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: Prometheus.png (744 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus.png
744 KB, 1024x576
So why did Prometheus kill the humans?
>>
>>63532662
Humans were a failed experiment.
>>
Humans were a reddit experiment. Obvious.
>>
>>63532719
Humans are reddit: the species
>>
>>63532662
"He's just a little out of his mind, Sir!"
>>
>>63532662
IT'S JUST A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT, IT'S A PRANK BRO.

WRRRAAAHHH
>>
They found out humans were browsing Reddit.
>>
I think someone pointed out in one of these threads that it was a combination of being woken up from a cryosleep in which he was hoping to be awoken from by his fellow architects

And having something akin to a chimpanzee telling a human that they are on the same level intellectually
>>
File: tumblr_m6uy20lQtj1qa0q13o1_1280.jpg (523 KB, 1280x1553) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6uy20lQtj1qa0q13o1_1280.jpg
523 KB, 1280x1553
>>63532662
Because humans made a shitty prequel to one of the best movies of all time
>>
Because
>WE WERE WRONG WE WERE SO WRONG
>>
File: 2103.jpg (17 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
2103.jpg
17 KB, 268x265
i hope that next movie will answer some questions about architects
>>
>>63533015
this
>>
Who cares? It was a piece of shit.
>>
>>63533087
>lindelof
>answering questions

:^)
>>
>>63532983
>holy shit the chimpanzees we made are capable of space flight and AI creation
>best just to kill them
>>
Why the fuck not? They're weird ugly things and are bugging him for shit they don't need.
>>
>>63533015
Alien isn't that bad m8. A solid 7/10.
>>
>>63532662

In the director's cut there is a longer conversation between the AI/David, and the engineer. If you translate the text from Sumerian or some shit, David tells the engineer that Weyland wants to to live longer, and wants the engineer to give him more life.

The engineer then asks David what he has done to deserve this, and Weyland gets in the engineers face and says he deserved it because he created a perfect being, David.

The engineer then looks at David and rips him apart, basically saying a fuck you to Weyland/the humans for being cocky, and then throws him at Weyland. Then the fight breaks out and the rest is visible in normal movie.
>>
>>63532662
He was a big guy and big guys plan is always to crush the plane with no survivors
>>
>>63533123
>a bunch of weird midgets wake you up then talk to you with a weird midget that made from shit in what amounts to tardspeak to you, asking you "MAEK UDS LIB 4EVA PLS :DDDDD"
>you're just the fucking janitor and clearly everything has gone tits up and you clearly shouldn't even be here
>>
>>63533215
>The engineer then asks David what he has done to deserve this, and Weyland gets in the engineers face and says he deserved it because he created a perfect being, David.
>The engineer then looks at David and rips him apart, basically saying a fuck you to Weyland/the humans for being cocky
How did the engineer understand what Weyland said ?
>>
>>63533230
>time to kill everyone, even chase down the fleeing ones
>>
>>63533123

>you're woken up after a 1000 years of cryogenic slumber by a bunch of weak, degenerate humans who's existence you might not even agree with in the first place
>they get in your face and demand you share their technology with them while bragging about their creations
>you, practically a god, get angry at them for their cockiness
>decide to shoot alien pods at earth to stop humanity from spreading, maybe just because you don't think another space faring civilization can be trusted
>>
>>63533266
engineer smart!
>>
>>63533279
>even chase down the fleeing ones
well they did shoot down his ship
>>
>>63533266

Plot hole actually, but one could reason that if Sumerian was vaguely derived from the engineer language, and he could understand that, perhaps he could also understand Indo-European and by proxy English, a combination of various Indo-European languages?

You could also say he maybe just understood it through body language and tone, but either way the movie shows that the engineer understood Weyland pretty well.
>>
>>63533296
Then how come the engineer had to turn to David and listen to him translate for him after Weyland said anything in the movie ?
>>
File: planetvampires3.png (561 KB, 1046x552) Image search: [Google]
planetvampires3.png
561 KB, 1046x552
>>63532662
I don't think that the engineers ever liked humanity. At the start when we see the one engineer drink the goo and then break apart he looks up at a spaceship taking off. This makes me think that this guy was some kind of outcast/rogue engineer who wasn't acting with the approval of the rest of his race. I'm pretty sure that it's implied that by drinking the goo and breaking himself down the parts of him that remained got into water and became intelligent life/humanity. I think that that's where the Prometheus legend comes in, this Engineer took what was supposed to be only the Engineer's, intelligence or something along those lines, maybe they were just protective of their superior DNA, and shared it with lesser beings.

I figure then that the rest of the Engineers figured that humanity was a mistake and the mission of the ship that they found was to wipe out life on Earth to keep the bastard spawn offspring of the Engineers that is humanity from spreading. By some universal fluke the goo that they planned to use to wipe us out got loose and destroyed them with one survivor preserving himself in the pod.

When they woke this one Engineer up not only did he know he'd failed his mission because the filthy humans he was meant to destroy have found him, but they're even speaking to him, and they have the balls to use their first contact to ask for immortality of all things. I'd be pissed too. After waking up he's faced with immediate confirmation that humanity is awful and he's right were he left off with all the stuff he needs to carry out the genocide. No bitch ass humans are getting in this guy's way.

Also, did anybody else notice the Planet of the Vampires costumes at the end of the movie?
>>
>>63533332
Its pretty reasonable to assume an extremely advanced alien lifeform (that can hack computers after being dead for millennia) can understand any spoken language without much difficulty. As weyland and david had no way of knowing their tardspeak gibberish would actually mean anything to the engineer or not.
>>
>>63533343
Considering the look on the engineer's face the entire time was "are these shitmonkeys serious?" he was probably just making sure he heard that right.
>>
>>63533412

I just rewatched the scene, and Weyland also calls himself a god, says he is perfect, compares himself to the engineer and demands thinks of him moments after he was roughly awoken by them.

I think it's safe to say he was furious yeah.
>>
Since the engineer they pissed off gets tentacle raped, does that mean that when the lady gets to the home world she'll have a second chance to convince them humanity doesn't deserve to be wiped out? I might be missing something since I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters.
>>
>>63533412
>>63533494
I always thought that Weyland confronting the Engineer after waking it up and demanding immortality went beyond ballsy to the point of being retarded. Surely you'd be cool first and try to establish a friendly relationship with the ancient spacefaring supermen before you tried to strongarm them into making you god. I would.
>>
File: 1439352891848.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1439352891848.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>63533015
>that amazon jungle
>>
>>63533604
That just puts us back into the realm of everyone in Prometheus acting like a retard for no good reason.
>>
>>63532662
I think prometheus is a pretty big guy. eh kills huamns and doesn't afraid of anything...
>>
>>63533230
kek
>>
Was the Space Jockey a colossus in Alien, and only like seven feet tall in Prometheus?
>>
It's just like Hellraiser 10. They fucked up with the actor playing the bald white head part.

Anyone else with a mouth that doesn't look like a giant toddler about to lick an enormous stamp for a lazy giant would have been better and made the character actually threatening.
>>
>>63533704
yep
>>
>>63533658
I suppose you could explain it as Weyland being desperate to the point where he's slightly nuts, David being unquestionably loyal, his goons being paid a fuckload and Weyland also deluding himself into thinking he practically is a god on the level of the Engineers since he's rich as fuck and created David, arguably humanities greatest achievement.

If I were him I'd have just settled for a robot successor that looks and thinks like me. It's not living but it's a great legacy.
>>
>>63532662
>seed planet with your DNA
>takes over 2 billion years to evolve intelligent life
someone didn't think this through
>>
>>63533120
He's not involved
>>
>>63533737
>implying you did
How long should alien DNA dumped into a waterfall take to create humanity?
>>
>>63533737
I think in the original script there was some changes made to proto-humans directly via some insect-like devices.
>>
>>63533727
If I were him I'd just create an army of davids and go into hypersleep indefinately and have them self-improve and self-modify until they're capable of making me live forever.

BUT I GUESS THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE
>>
>>63533725

... But why? Don't tell me Ridley Scott is an inconsistent Geordie hack?
>>
>>63533777
That sounds like a good idea. I wish they put that in the movie. They probaly thought it was too 2001 though.
>>
>>63533787
I don't know if indefinite hypersleep is possible. Ripley does it for a very long time but that was further into the future and also who knows how long it could take humanity/cyborgs to find immortality? If I were that concerned about living I'd more stock in potential god-beings than cyborgs which are pretty much particularly sharp people who don't need to sleep. That's good, but immortality probably transcends science and goes into mysteries of the universe-tier knowledge that you need outside help with.
>>
>>63533811
Considering geiger didn't actually do any design work on Prometheus, and was just credited because of the design work he did on alien...

yep
>>
>>63533787
Great idea. It worked really well in The Matrix, Terminator, 2001, etc.

There's NO danger in letting an A.I. run loose.
>>
Was the Prometheus autistic?
>>
>>63533862
Yes. He tried to destroy humanity because we have too many plot holes.
>>
>>63533835
>but immortality probably transce-

anon wasn't able to finish this statement, as he suddenly vanished up his own asshole and was never seen again.
>>
>>63533773
If they can live that long who would chose to sacrifice themselves and not just dump genetic material ?
They should have made us like 30k years ago from a genetic experiment on the local chimps instead.
>>
>>63533848
The implication is how david and the AI they'd create would exist only to serve weyland, rather than simply being "rampant" AI.
>>
>>63533898
The A.I. in these movies where created to serve too. Life (even artifial life) will find a way.

Like in that Banderas movie about self-evolving Melanie Griffth robots.
>>
>>63533844
Its pretty sad HR Gieger's stuff kept getting rejected for movies after his stuff in Alien. He was hired to do design work on Alien 3 and Batman Forever, and the stuff he turned in was rejected and they just hired artists to design in the Gieger style.

Species was the only post-Alien movie I can think of where Geiger's stuff actually showed up on screen
>>
>>63533933
... no, the AI in the matrix and terminator were just lawless, unrestricted AI going nuts.

2001 was the result of hal being given conflicting directives.

Since david didn't instantly kill weyland, you can assume they hadn't made those mistakes.
>>
Wasn't it implied that Jesus was an architect and we killed him?
>>
>>63533892
it was clearly a ritual suicide.
>>
>>63533737
>>63533773
This is by far the silliest premise of the story, obviously based on the 'ancient alien' theory, which is equally convoluted and nonsensical. Why seed a planet with self-assembling DNA and wait 4 motherfucking billion years to come back and uplift a native intelligent species?
Also, what had they been up to during all that time? Because the 4 billion year old engineers looked identical to 2000 old ones, both in appearence and technology.
>>
>>63533978
*2000 year old
>>
>>63533978
Because they never planned to come back and uplift the intelligent species?
>>
>>63533362
I like your headcanon.
>>
>>63533687
LMFAO thanks for the early laugh
>>
>>63533978
just playing devils advocate
the engineers are the pinnacle of life
they seeded millions of planets and humanity were the first ones to get to space
they expect humility from whatever species evolves to the point of space travel, or at least a cup of coffee before asking for immortality

in the end weyland fucked it up for everyone
>>
File: 1449483814032.png (57 KB, 161x174) Image search: [Google]
1449483814032.png
57 KB, 161x174
>>63534017
Thanks, on that note I'm going to sleep.
>>
>>63533957
... you're Cleverbot, aren't you?

Stop trying to push your A.I. Supremacist agenda on this board. Go back to /r9k/.
>>
>>63534099
>AI can never work because its never worked... in fiction

You're mentally retarded, aren't you?
>>
>>63534067
Then why where they preparing to send death ships to earth before anyone from earth got to them?

It's so obvious that nobody involved in the production had any clear idea of what they were trying tell - that's why you can sort of make sense of individual parts but once you try to piece them together with the rest of the story it all falls apart.
I hate to blame Lindelof entirely for the shitty writing but it just reeks of the same LOST shit he pulled then.
>WHAT IF GUYS LISTEN WHAT IF JESUS WAS AN ENGINEER?
Yeah ok Damon but how are we going to implement this in the story? How is it going to affect the narrative we are creating?
>Oh fuck that I just come up with lame twilight-zone-rip-offs that lead nowhere
>>
>>63533362
>Those space suits

Aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>63534119
But... we were arguing about them working in the FICTIONAL Prometheus movie...
>>
>>63534312
No, we're talking about what one would logically do in a situation that isn't necessary going to be a hollywood blockbuster, based upon what was present in a hollywood blockbuster.

And, in Prometheus, there was loyal AI.
>>
>>63534361
I think we weren't having the same conversation with one another, then.
>>
>>63534643
I attempted to indicate I was departing from hollywood blockbuster with the bit in all caps.
>>
File: aliencovenant-logo2.jpg (25 KB, 700x460) Image search: [Google]
aliencovenant-logo2.jpg
25 KB, 700x460
Predictions for this.

I think it's going to end up with David being the Space Jockey from Alien.
>>
>>63536608
I predict it will be shit.
>>
>>63532662
Because he's a racist.
The humans are manlets with a darker skin than his own.
>>
>>63533777
yeah, some proto-woman happened to be watching the Engineers do their thing and after that one "sacrificed" himself, he turned into bug things and one of them bit the ape-woman. then there's a description of the proto-woman's DNA changing and shit. Jon Spaihts' script was too fucking based desu. Dunno why Ridley had it rewritten.
>>
>>63533279
Well if your house had a rat problem, wouldn't you try to kill them? Or set a cat on them.
>>
>>63532662
>you get home exhuasted from work
>fall asleep
>get woken up
>its your dickhole cousins shitbrat kids and theyve broken into your house and fucked with its feng shui
>they declare themselves your god and tell you to do a load of shit for them
>>
File: prom7.jpg (291 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
prom7.jpg
291 KB, 600x400
>>63532662

The engineer was watching the events of the movie in his cryo-pod, and was so enraged by the biologist's nonsense behavior that he went on a killing rampage.
>>
he's not a morning person xD
>>
>>63537931
>be on alien planet
>walking down creepy cave of ancient gods
>hey it looks like snake
>it's standing up to greet me
>"hey little buddy how are you"
>I better touch it
>>
>>63532662
>be engineer
>wake up centuries later after fucking up your experiment and your weapon malfunctioned
>think the distress signal went through and your backup is finally here
>nope, it's appears to be your failed experiments who have somehow found a way to the outpost
>one of them steps forward and starts babbling in a barely intelligible rendition of your language
>upon closer inspection this one appears to be non-organic; the fuckers have started building machines in their image
>starts babbling about how his master wants to live for ever
>they woke you up for this bullshit?
>ask them for what purpose?
>this old one steps forward and says something in an unintelligible and primitive language
machine translates for him and says his master deserves it for creating the perfect being, referring to it
>rip the machine's head off, is this seriously the best they could do?, and hurl it at the old retard
>kick the rest of their asses and turn the ship on
>this truly was a failed experiment
>>
>>63533704
>Space Jockey
i dont remember any this shit from alien i need to watch it again
>>
>>63538066
It's the massive skeleton/corpse thing in the cockpit of the ship they go on before John Hurt is attacked
>>
File: 1449179465052.jpg (101 KB, 853x532) Image search: [Google]
1449179465052.jpg
101 KB, 853x532
It's just like when you see a primate, you instinctively want to beat the shit out of the inferior little shit.
>>
>>63537931
Pretty plausible desu
>>
>>63537931
B-but, anon, they hired the most dumb and incompetent scientist on purpose, cause Weyland didn't care for that shit. He only wanted to live longer. Duh
>>
>>63538269
Slav here. I can confirm.
>>
>>63538269
I feel chill towards orangs and indifferent to gorillas but
any others = instant loathing
>>
>>63533941
Why did they reject his designs? Were they too creepy and/or sexual or some shit?
>>
>>63533113
this
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.