[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I become a filmmaker without becoming like the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: paul latza linkara.jpg (118 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
paul latza linkara.jpg
118 KB, 900x675
How the fuck do I become a filmmaker without becoming like the faggots from Channel Awesome?
>>
Leave this place
Make movies
>>
Be self-aware.

Continue to improve, don't stagnate.

Don't watch cartoons, not even once.
>>
Go to film.
>>
Learn from their mistakes, as in what to not fucking do. Essentially what people like Jontron did.

Actually take classes and invest in proper equipment and know how to use them.
>>
never act in your own films and find real actors that aren't just people you know

get actual criticism and use it to improve and grow
>>
>>63529707
literally just make movies. do what Herzog did and don't give a single fuck and do what it takes to make the movies you want without selling out. its not complicated, but it does get hard.
>>
>>63529785
Not even minor roles like Roman Polanski in Chinatown?
>>
>>63529936
Never a primary role, at the very least.
>>
>>63529936
You'll be able to focus more on how to improve and how to recognize what works and what doesn't if you're behind the camera most of the time

Minor roles probably don't matter and trying out scenes with you in them to display what you're looking for to the people you'll be filming is fine

What I really meant is that all the channel awesome movies are directed by them and are about them, like they're the main characters usually
>>
>>63529707
is there anyone in this thread who is a current or former film student?
>>
Have what they lack, self awareness
>>
>>63529936
No
You are not Polansky and you are not Hitchcock and never will
>>
File: 1435087591446.jpg (12 KB, 359x397) Image search: [Google]
1435087591446.jpg
12 KB, 359x397
>>63529970
>>63529976
Ah I see, that makes sense.
>mfw watching that Kickassia movie they made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJuz70OHrxE

It's honestly fascinating watching some of their stuff just for how much shit is wrong with them
>>
>>63530012
I'm not some kid fucker or a guy afraid of cops?
Cool
>>
>>63529984
Yep. All the advice here applies to everyone I graduated with - if you go out and start doing stuff, keep challenging yourself to improve and stay self-aware of your shortcomings but confident in your abilities , you will find work.

If you do nothing and collect $3500 on Patreon, you will become Spoony.

If you make an online review show about board games you will become Latza.
>>
>>63530015
Jesus christ I could have filmed this shit with a 500 dollar dslr from 2011 and two microphones and had triple the quality
>>
>>63530032
I hope I'm not overstepping here, and i'm not being facetious at all; but what have you been doing since your degree if you are finished with it? If not what are you doing now and what do you plan on doing afterwards?
>>
>>63530075
Been working in television, doing work on features, shorts and music videos on the side. Mainly AD and editing gigs, but some directing work and a script occasionally. It's not glamorous work, but I'm doing a lot more than some of my other graduates who continued to make student-level films and demanded to be director on all projects, they're still living on benefits as far as I'm aware. A few others I knew were able to land gigs on big-budget movies, but only as assistants. Still, that experience seems to have helped, as they're developing their own TV shows now. I'd like to move more into music videos and eventually more feature films, just got to nut up and start doing it.
>>
File: budget.png (103 KB, 945x593) Image search: [Google]
budget.png
103 KB, 945x593
>>63530059
It's not even the worst one out there. Linkara wins this race easily with the $60 000 epic that is AT4W.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76fBmV2GVo
>>
>>63530164
I'm currently in a film program and of course I'd love to direct and write my own films. My professors keep telling me be proficient in all areas and thats what i'm aiming for right now. I would really like to form my own independent production company with other like minded people. Its hard finding film students that aren't fucking plebs or uncreative, overly confident assholes.
>>
File: gimp freud.jpg (27 KB, 457x482) Image search: [Google]
gimp freud.jpg
27 KB, 457x482
>>63530200
jesus christ
>>
>>63530208
My advice to you if you're still in film school is that you aren't as good as you think you are. Nobody is except one in like 1 million. Be realistic and actually put in the work to improve yourself. Work with as many people as you can and make contacts even if they are plebs. You never know who is going to end up with a plum job at the end. Learn as much as you can so that you can be a better director on set, all be a better part of a team that actually do the job. If you want to write, write all the time keep writing until you get good. Be prepared to work shit jobs with shit hours to get experience to do better jobs later.

Never fuck the main actress
>>
>>63530394
>Never fuck the main actress

Really, just keep your dick away from anyone you work with or potentially could.
>>
Be trust fund baby, hire competent people and take the merit.
>>
File: 18272837361.gif (962 KB, 320x260) Image search: [Google]
18272837361.gif
962 KB, 320x260
>wake up
>depressed, lonely and poor
>look in the mirror
>still not Latza

Thank fuck
>>
File: ....jpg (16 KB, 190x216) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
16 KB, 190x216
>>63530027
Average self-aware redditor ladies and gentlemen. Faggot is so entitled that he trashes two well respected directors just to boast his ego. Kill yourself my fellow man.
>>
>>63530394
Great advice man! Thanks! I'm a very charismatic person and I often get along very well with others so networking and pulling people together is very easy for me. One thing I'm worried about it putting a competent crew together and casting. Do you have any advice for those specifically?
>>
Videogame reviewers from my country actually made a movie that aired in theatres as a full blown release. It was possibly the worst movie ever made over here and it's just as pathetic as the channel awesome movies. It's sad that there's no chance in hell this will get an international release because I would have loved to stream it for /tv/
>>
>>63530536
>defending Roman Polanski
reported to the FBI Mr. Walken
>>
>>63530536
are you a kid fucker who's afraid of cops?

The two would go hand-in-hand, really.
>>
>Have standards
>Brevity is important
>Don't overload your videos with skits
>Don't add in a bunch of autistic nerds into your videos
>Have talent and technical skills/training/practice

It's not that hard to make films without being like them.
>>
>>63530561
See if there any graduates were looking for work and might be able to help you out in your film for no money or very little. They'll have more experience than your average fellow schoolmate. Otherwise go with people you trust. It's unlikely you'll find spectacular actors for your student film but you never know, go with your gut
>>
>>63530686
I never thought about sourcing for grads. Thats a great idea. There are definitely a lot in the area where my school is. Also pertaining to casting again, how do you feel about theatre actors/actresses?
>>
>>63530718
Honestly, i've seen good and bad performances from theatre actors on film, so it really depends. I've seen radio personalities do surprisingly great performances on TV, Actors background doesn't necessarily matter as long as they can be convincing on screen. Sounds like you might already have someone in mind, just don't expect the world for a student film, as you probably don't have a massive handle on directing actors yet. Focus on what you're good at and improve on what you aren't so good out and learn from each film you make
>>
>>63530850
this has all been great advice. could i give you my google plus account in case I have any other questions or if I need any advice?
>>
>>63530922
Sure if you're comfortable with putting a Google plus account on 4chan. I'm pretty busy over the December January break though so probably won't be around much
>>
>>63531032
its not my actual account. its just an account i use for things like this. And i understand this season gets pretty hectic for people.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/104197885716194620077/posts
>>
>>63531032
If you could add me to a circle of yours that would be great. I'll probably contact you at some point via hangouts or some other form of communication
>>
>>63530600
So, don't be Doug?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.