[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why this franchise is so fucking popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone explain to me why this franchise is so fucking popular?
>>
>>63524139
Because it's good, you stupid contrarian bitch
>>
>>63524139
its not its a dadflick
>>
I like what the jews tell me to like
>>
The big bang theory made it "cool" to be a "nerd" and this is one of the pillars of fauxgeekhood
>>
>>63524139
Perfect formula of re-releasing, merchandise and nostalgia
>>
the music

battle of hoth

adventure film at the peak of adventure films

fun transition of WW2 fighter pilots to space
>>
>>63524139
It happened in the 70s and was the first non-terrestrial blockbuster movie ever. It captured the imaginations and brand loyalty of a large swath of a very culturally relevant Western generation who would go on to greatly influence globalized entertainment.

Are you retarded or something?
>>
File: star_wars_black_haircut.jpg (141 KB, 1584x891) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_black_haircut.jpg
141 KB, 1584x891
Cock worship
>>
File: 1449342993242.jpg (3 MB, 3264x4928) Image search: [Google]
1449342993242.jpg
3 MB, 3264x4928
>>63524182
pretty much this.
>>
File: hot_chip-2.jpg (244 KB, 558x650) Image search: [Google]
hot_chip-2.jpg
244 KB, 558x650
>>63524171
>that time /mu/ tried to force the dadcore meme

Why is /mu/ so bad at memes? Honestly, its pathetic.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 1099x1073) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 1099x1073
>>63524372
They got some good ones
>>
Aside from a few gems like 2001, sci fi before star wars looked barely any better than vintage Dr who or plan 9 from outer space. 99% of it was campy shit filmed with hundreds of dollars spent on special effects.

Here is a "special effects blockbuster" released just one year before star wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyPqbyHXIg

Star wars changed everything.

The look. The sound. The music. The adventure. It made sc-fi viable again.

"Alien" would have never been made without star wars. Studios wouldn't have risked it. Star wars gave them the courage to try.

There would be no star trek movies without star wars either. It too would have been an enormous risk with no foreseeable rewards. Star Trek was dead and it was Star Wars box office success that resurrected it.

It also changed toys. Before star wars most action figures were 12" dolls. A smaller scale made vehicles possible and this directly paved the way for GI Joe and the action figure industry of the 80s (an all the cartoons they inspired).

No single film has ever had this kind of impact on the industry (let alone multiple industries).
>>
Lazer Sword Space Wizards Part 7 sounds like a joke... But it's happening right now. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>63524372
that was me actually
i did it because it made that /mu/ reject upset
And it worked and the board became everything he hated
>>
>>63524493
>>
>>63524466
Is Logan's Run actually good?
>>
>>63524466
>star wars
>sci-fi

When will this meme end? Star Wars is fantasy.
>>
>>63524614
Yeah I really liked it.
>>63524622
nice me.me
>>
Its really the medium of film's first big fantasy story of it's own

everything before it was still derivative of literary or just a ripoff of king arthur or lotr
>>
>>63524657
>implying Star Wars isn't Tropes: The Trilogy
>>
>>63524466
Star Trek wasn't exactly dead, it was coming off a pretty successful period of syndication and another tv series was in the works. However, Star Wars did make a strong case for the Trek motion picture.
>>
>>63524622

Bookstores may differentiate between sci-fi and fantasy. Films do not necessarily have to conform to one or the other.

Before star wars most sci fi was considered to be unfilmable. Sci Fi was a realm bound in black and white text with a cool painting on the cover. Post-ILM everything changed. Everything was possible now. Investors threw money at creative people.
>>
>>63524139
Invented modern special effects
Blackest space nigga ever
>>
>>63524735

Also star wars changed theaters themselves and the overall way we see movies.

Jaws strained the existing theater structure to it's limits and star wars shattered them. Multiplexes are everywhere today because of star wars.

Theater sound systems were also inadequate and it was star wars (and the lucas owned THX) that forced them to modernize and meet standards.

Lucas became a very influential factor when it came to modernizing the theater experience. Besides upgrading audio he also helped usher in the age of digital cinema. Every modern film you see and most modern home theater systems benefit directly or indirectly from the success of star wars and the technology it helped push.
>>
now or '77-'83? the latter is pretty obvious, it was a fucking cool space epic replete with insane muppet aliens and a triumphant american good vs evil narrative after the confusing and decadent '70s, amid the cold war. i'm sure you can find no shortage of material about why star wars blew up in 1977.

as for now, it's because we live in a giant baby world where fucking catholic priests cry out of joy when they see chewbacca in a trailer on youtube. nerd nostalgia, a drastically dumbed-down and infantilized culture, and a whole lot of people who honestly don't have anything more interesting to do than revisit the reanimated corpse of a sci-fi/fantasy franchise which is meant for young boys.

that said, i will probably enjoy the upcoming star wars cash-in, particularly because i'll be taking my 10-year-old twin cousins to see it and they get to experience the same awe and wonder that i experienced at their age when i saw star wars and similar children's entertainment.
>>
>>63524466
Don't talk shit about Logan's Run. That robot was cool.

>fish and plankton and sea greens and protein from the sea

Based quote.
>>
>>63525009

The quote is great and he is creepy as fuck, but the look of it was barely a step beyond "lost in space".

Someone went to town with some silver spray paint, a cardboard box, and some flexible ductwork stolen from a bathroom fan.
>>
>>63524176
this

Jews know all and see all
>>
>>63525140

You can also see the reflections of the crew on his mirrored surface,
>>
>>63524940
I was writing a reply then I thought about it you must be trolling. 10/10 you got me.
>>
>>63524139
Because the first one hit right when going to the movies was a choice between depressing "auteur" films where everyone dies of drug overdoses and braindead kids movies like The Apple Dumpling Gang. People were amazed to see a non-Disney movie with a happy ending.
>>
kids and beta plebs
>>
File: 1377808935486.jpg (115 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1377808935486.jpg
115 KB, 640x400
Starwars: your franchise seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?
>>
release order is the correct order to watch the series for the first time, right? or should i go episode 1-7
>>
>>63525194
They are the Chosen Ones
>>
File: 1449811677231.webm (582 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1449811677231.webm
582 KB, 640x360
It's got niggers in space.
>>
>>63528053
I bet those get banned in Britain after this terrible crime
>>
>>63524139
>why do people like what I don't like?
>>
>>63524139
Because it takes the best elements of previous stories, evolves on it and gave us the newest special effects. It was just a great evolutionary step in cinema.
>>
Its a Soap Opera in Space

> Cowboy LoopHoles the Order to save a good kid
> Kid falls in love despite it being forbidden.
> Kid falls to temptation

> Kid becomes the last hope against evil
> Kid finds out his father is that evil
> Kid doesn't succumb to evil ad saves his father as well
>>
>>63524167
Yupp, hes got it right OP
>>
>>63524182
FUCK THAT. Is this seriously a thing?????
>>
>>63524139

Well, OT was bretty gud and has been consistently popular over the years, even among those who weren't even born when Episode IV was first shown.

Also, shitload of cool toys for kids and "collectibles" for manchildren.
>>
>>63524139
Because it's a quality franchise you faggot
>>
>>63524622

No it's not, it's space opera.
>>
File: starwars.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
starwars.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3000
>>63524139
The hero's journey is classic form of storytelling. One of the most relatable and enjoyable stories in the history of fiction. Star Wars is the best reincarnation of that. Add things like
-the wonderful score
-imaginative worlds
-interesting characters
-fun comedic reliefs characters like C3PO and R2
-one of the coolest fictional weapons ever made (lightsabers)
-one of the most iconic Villains in the history of film (Vader)
-groundbreaking special effects
-an almost perfect release window
And you got yourself one of the biggest cultural influences in the history of entertainment. It's something we can watch regardless of age, gender, or race and still enjoy. It inspired many of us as kids to write our very own stories and kickstart our imaginations to think beyond of our limited realities into world of unbounded creativity and wonder. Even as adults it brings us back to a time of when our lives were much simpler. It transcended all mental and personal barriers into something that has at least brought us two or so hours of just simple enjoyment and fun.
>>
>>63528675
reddit is that way
>>
>>63524182
star wars was incredibly popular way before tbbt

just accept that most people think star wars is really good
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.