[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone keeps saying this is a great movie, but I haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17
File: 1270171142997443876.jpg (58 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
1270171142997443876.jpg
58 KB, 800x400
Everyone keeps saying this is a great movie, but I haven't found one person to tell me why. They all juat say it is great.
So, why? I still haven't watched it, I want someone to actually back up all the hype
>>
File: BAIT.webm (358 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
BAIT.webm
358 KB, 1912x792
>>
>>63515224
it's great.
a great movie.
you should watch it, you'll see it's great.
>>
>tfw if the movie had ended in that fiery sandstorm it would have been a solid 10/10
>>
>>63515263
Why is it great? I'm tired of hearing the same thing
>>
>>63515224
It's pretty great.
>>
Not at all. Its one of the ugliest and most retarded films in recent History. And those garish, cartoonish, orange and blue colors produced in computers should be illegal. Really, why do people love to be submitted to this kind of empty horrifying visual and aural aggression? A fascistic anti-human audiovisual experiment. Simply put cirque du soleil for bros.
>>
>>63515263
I agree. It's great. Great.
>>
>>63515370
It's great. You might be missing the point of it. It's great.
>>
Maybe you should quit being a huge sopping pussy and watch the film you knuckle dragging, unobligated sheep
>>
>>63515224
If I had to put it in laymens terms it's great.
>>
just turn your brain off brah
>>
>>63515339
>>63515377
Either trollling or you legitimately have no reason to think it's great and just go with it since you are a pretentious faggot
>>
it's hella fu**ing epic
>>
>>63515411
I would if someone could actually say something about it, other than "it's a great movie, watch it"...
>>
>>63515224
Worldbuilding was fascinating and subtle, the characters were broad yet interesting, and the action was fucking incredible.

Damn shame about the plot though.
>>
>>63515483
>>63515411
he can't watch a movie and decide for himself what to think let alone articulate it so he needs to come into the movie with preconceived expectations so he can reassure them to himself
>>
>>63515224
it's fucking metal as fuck, it feels like a 2000AD comic book from the 90s. It's just really super badass.
>>
Its nothing special, but its fun. Its nice to take a break from serious things for a while and watch some crazy shit like Mad Max.
>>
>>63515483
The cinematography is great, the acting is great, the narrative is great and the score is great.
>>
>>63515532
this, \m/ $lipknot
>>
File: dude mad max lmao.png (25 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
dude mad max lmao.png
25 KB, 500x457
>>63515224
It's absolutely epic.
>>
>>63515491
>most informative review I've actually read
Thank you
>>
>>63515483
real stunts, good use of cgi, good acting, vibrant setting, memorable lines, fun plot, great villain, just an all around GREAT time

just like any adventure/action film which is worth watching...it's just a great watch.

so fucking watch it, or fuck off.
>>
>>63515537
Wrong, wrong, wrong and very wrong
>>
>>63515525
Yes. Still you can't say anything about it.
>>
>>63515224
>I want to know why this is a good movie, but I don't want to watch it, I want strangers on an Bhutanese scrimshawing forum to explain it to me

Just watch it OP, it's really great.
>>
>>63515568
>real good good vibrant memorable fun great great
>>
it's meh
>>
>>63515599
what else do you want from an ACTION ADVENTURE FILM

it's not a fucking twisting, dark, cerebral crime drama...it's AN ACTION ADVENTURE FILM

enjoy it for what it is, or fuck off

but i guess you can't, so don't watch it.
>>
It does a good job being about the things it does best, ie non-stop action and not relying on a retarded plot to carry the bulk of the film. The plot is pretty dumb, don't get me wrong, but is not what the film is about and they did a good job doing that. Not a bad way to make a film if you ask me.

7.8/10 would watch again while drunk with friends or something
>>
>>63515370

my sentiments exactly. we've come so far that max eats double-headed lizards and turns into sir gruntsalot without even for one second matching the charismatic performance mels delivered with his interpretation over 30 years ago

what a wonder also that whereas in road warrior everyone was hunting for gas because it was so rare and precious here this seems to be not an issue. even less so considering that the villain has a party bus in his entourage with a freak who plays a flame-shooting guitar. and all of the characters drive through the desert for days because re-fuiling is of no concern. gasoline seems to exist aplenty. water not so much, therefore the baddie advises not to get addicted to it. like you can go without i

the digital look of the film, combined with its use of CGI, makes it easily the ugliest film in the series maybe even of this year. the plot a plot? is basically non-existent and where it shimmers through (like zoe kravitz nipples through her shirt) it just proves to be ludicrous, in a film that feels like three hours because it's that repetitive. this is man of shit all over again: one action scene that we have to watch over and over and over. they're driving, shooting, explosions, driving, explosions, shooting, driving, shooting, explosions. after 45 minutes I struggled to keep my eyes open and awake due to it's lack of anything interesting

maybe miller should return to making animated films about dancing penguins
>>
>>63515224
Well shot, good pacing, good stunts, good action, unique look, more subtle performances than your average action movie

It was a good action movie, which is relatively rare nowadays.

Also try watching it for yourself and form your own answer, if you actually care.
>>
>>63515545

Screencapping Redtards praising something isn't enough reason for us to hate it. 4chan would be better if it just started pretending other sites don't exist.
>>
>>63515224

>I want someone to actually back up all the hype

A large part of the hype was that everyone expected a 77 year old man shamelessly rebooting a franchise that hasn't been in cinemas in 30 years under big studio pressure to be just another play-it-safe PG-13 cash-grab shaky cam CGI shitfest with modern quippy dialogue. So the expectations were pretty low and people expected it to be a low-effort film.

Instead we got an R-rated frankly strange movie with really impressive visual effects, great real stunt-work, and a lot of surprises. Simple premise, visual storytelling over dialogue, fantastic design and world building, great score and memorable characters. Again directed by a 77 year old grandpa who's last film credits were a pair of CGI dancing penguin movies.

The film was more surprising than anything and did a lot of things that defies modern blockbuster conventions, didn't really stick to the formula and didn't make a lot of money as a result, but was so different and fun to watch that people adore it.
>>
>>63515645
Not sure that made any sense, but it's a fun and interesting movie that does a great job at getting you sucked in its universe without sacrificing the pace or focusing on an uninspired storyline
>>
HIGH OCTANE CRAZY BLOOD FILLIN ME UP
>>
WITNESS ME VROOM VROOM KA-BOOM RETURN MY TREASURES KAMA-KRAZY FUKOSHIMA VROOM BLOOD BAG LOVELY DAY MEME MEME VROOM GUZZOLINE MEME MEME MEME WITNESS MEME
>>
>>63515599
Describe a film you like and why you like it just so we know what you're expecting.
>>
File: 1435530953408.jpg (161 KB, 508x610) Image search: [Google]
1435530953408.jpg
161 KB, 508x610
>>63515224
It's a great movie because everything just works.
The world created is believable in its own right.
All the characters have motivation and work in their own way
Max is a traumatized weirdo not used to speaking anymore hence he finds it awkard to talk
Infact all the communication is just straight to the point toward whatever goal needs to be achieved. Just like in a survival situation.
The scenes are shot in an interesting way, that is too say it's not boring back and forth, things move around, good effects, vehicles, the scenery blends well together.
There is a genuine feel to this movie, unlike i.e. a Star Trek 2009 which was completely forgettable like so many blockbusters (same goes for all those superhero movies), this movie wasn't as bland and forgettable as those.
The way this movie works and was put together speaks volumes and if you aren't fucking retarded you see it's a lot smarter than it looks compared to many other million dollar blockbuster on various levels.
>>
overhyped garbage
>>
it has stronk woman
>>
>>63515659
>4chan would be better if it just started pretending other sites don't exist.

Indeed. 4chan should be an all inclusive safe space of sorts.
>>
>>63515722
>describe a movie you like and why you like it so I can greentext and shitmeme about it
>>
>>63515712
there's no memes in that movie

only one-liners

but of course you've forgotten that one-liners even existed after years of seeing the world in ironyvision.
>>
>>63515661
When people say Mad Max: Fury Road was "overhyped", they actually mean "inaccurately hyped".

Fury Road is inaccurately hyped in that the entire film has become the jacket from Drive. The meme-elevation of George Miller to greatest living filmmaker is itself a condensed, inverted version of the ridiculous meme-demonization of figures like George Lucas and Shyamalan.

People who literally do not know what cinematography is now write book-length fantasies about how 'lazy' JJ Abrams is, or devote entire webseries to debating whether Matthew Vaughn is racist. It's a false progressivism based around punishing celebrities' perceived sins - lust, greed, sloth, etc. - via endless twitter campaign.

No nerd has ever gotten insanely mad at (say) Wim Wenders or Jane Campion, and nobody gave a thought about Miller when he made Babe and Happy Feet. But once someone makes a film in a science fiction/superhero franchise universe... God help us all.
>>
File: 1449559266510.jpg (18 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1449559266510.jpg
18 KB, 408x408
>>63515753

>ignoring other sites
>all inclusive

You really are just shit
>>
>>63515224
>Score
>Direction
>Memorable Characters
>acting is superb
>lean narrative, no scene feels like it could be cut
>Doesn't have any Nolan-tier exposition
>No political/gender message (despite what MRAs and feminists think)
>Beautifully shot
>Absolutely fantastic editing
>WITNESS ME

Witness these dubs
>>
>>63515782
>No nerd has ever gotten insanely mad at (say) Wim Wenders or Jane Campion
Just like this board
>>
>>63515833
Witnessed
>>
>>63515776
Describe a bad movie then, it doesn't really matter.
>>
People are so used to having characters standing around yelling exposition at each other than when a movie doesn't bother to do that and opts to show instead of tell people claim it's brain-dead.
>>
>>63515777
If there were no memes, why do you have all the chrome paint amazon reviews or the MLP dolls painted to look like Furiosa?

(Meanwhile Michael Bay in Transformers 4 mocks this kind of meme-thinking when the Pony plushie transforms into the gun while the nerd grins in joy.)
>>
>>63515859
Thanks senpai. You shall ride with me to the gates Valhalla
>>
>>63515224
It's mediocre for me. Didn't see anything special in it too.
>>
>>63515483
You shouldnt even need the first part you fucking opinion consuming sack of wank
>>
>>63515886
Go to bed Armond
>>
File: 1437459420152.gif (304 KB, 402x414) Image search: [Google]
1437459420152.gif
304 KB, 402x414
>>63515833
>>
>>63515833
WITNESSED
>>
>>63515648
Arguably the direction is worse in some ways than the most recent transformers movie. Here's a short sequence from Transformers 4, without much apparent CGI. It's largely just a practical car being lifted away on a crane, with the character Tessa trapped inside:

https://youtu.be/aJl5piv1FrY?t=2m22s

And you can compare it to the brief moment in Fury Road where Cheeto gets grabbed by a polecat. You can see a few of those shots in the trailer here:
https://youtu.be/hEJnMQG9ev8?t=1m43s

Now, you can see that the two films are not dissimilar in their presentation. The above sequence is shot and edited like a scene in Fury Road - but does a much better job of conveying the horror of the situation. (Miller isn't incompetent or anything, you can see what's going on, but it doesn't really convey it.)
>>
>>63515648
>we've come so far that max eats double-headed lizards and turns into sir gruntsalot without even for one second matching the charismatic performance mels delivered with his interpretation over 30 years ago

that is because the character Mad Max actually evolves. The idea is that Max has been alone all this time. so he hasn't spoken for 20 years. hence the grunting.

>the characters drive through the desert for days
one day and a night. they literally say it in the film. and they have a fuck-off huge tanker full of petroleum with them. did you even watch it?

>shooting, explosions, driving, explosions, shooting, driving, shooting, explosions
yeah, so fucking what?

>after 45 minutes I struggled to keep my eyes open and awake due to it's lack of anything interesting
this isn't really intelligent criticism now is it? just insulting... kind of sad really

>maybe miller should return to making animated films about dancing penguins
is that more your pace?
>>
File: 1437459323277.gif (465 KB, 200x317) Image search: [Google]
1437459323277.gif
465 KB, 200x317
>>63515955
>>
I have to assume that people who care about plot aren't huge fans of action movies. Really, FR had a better plot than most.

>I have to rescue my daughter from chainmail guy
>I have to kill this alien that's hunting me
>I have to enter this tournament to the death for no discernible reason
>I have to rescue my commander from the Russians/Vietcong
>>
>>63515550
Ayy no problem m8

It's impossible to talk about it here, though.

Also, the level of detail with the medical stuff (stabbing Furiosa to get her to breathe again, whatever the fuck Joe was wearing, etc.) was insane. This was a labor of love for Miller, and it fucking shows.
>>
People all the time confuse 'strong female character' with 'a female character who is strong'. A female character who is both well-written and 'weak' is inconceivable, so we end up with another string of thinkpieces celebrating Ripley from Aliens and/or slut-shaming Megan Fox because of her clothes.
>>
>>63516011
>Also, the level of detail with the medical stuff (stabbing Furiosa to get her to breathe again, whatever the fuck Joe was wearing, etc.) was insane.

The vast majority of appreciative posts in this forum are devoted to transcribing the film's plot (e.g. "I just noticed that Optimus Bonius, this character who appears In the background for three seconds, is probably the Bullet Farmer's personal chef. There's so much attention to detail!"). The storytelling has fallen to the wayside. Even when talking directly about the cinematography, you get memes (and not even funny memes) like the center frame thing.
>>
File: 3594d1395387457-feminism3.jpg (160 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
3594d1395387457-feminism3.jpg
160 KB, 480x720
>>63516039
>People all the time confuse 'strong female character' with 'a female character who is strong'. A female character who is both well-written and 'weak' is inconceivable, so we end up with another string of thinkpieces celebrating Ripley from Aliens and/or slut-shaming Megan Fox because of her clothes.
>>
>>63515224
it a shit
>>
File: 1414867119195.jpg (112 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1414867119195.jpg
112 KB, 500x750
>>63515727
>It's a great movie because everything just works.
>The world created is believable in its own right.
>All the characters have motivation and work in their own way
>Max is a traumatized weirdo not used to speaking anymore hence he finds it awkard to talk
>Infact all the communication is just straight to the point toward whatever goal needs to be achieved. Just like in a survival situation.
>The scenes are shot in an interesting way, that is too say it's not boring back and forth, things move around, good effects, vehicles, the scenery blends well together.
>There is a genuine feel to this movie, unlike i.e. a Star Trek 2009 which was completely forgettable like so many blockbusters (same goes for all those superhero movies), this movie wasn't as bland and forgettable as those.
>The way this movie works and was put together speaks volumes and if you aren't fucking retarded you see it's a lot smarter than it looks compared to many other million dollar blockbuster on various levels.
T- male feminist shill
>>
File: mad max fanbase.png (50 KB, 534x612) Image search: [Google]
mad max fanbase.png
50 KB, 534x612
It's SJW trash
>>
>>63516090
Or the whole orange and blue thing, because how dare a movie have broad, exaggerated colors.

I can understand that. What specifically would you wanna talk about?
>>
File: didn't get trolled.jpg (16 KB, 279x291) Image search: [Google]
didn't get trolled.jpg
16 KB, 279x291
>>63515957
I can't believe you tricked me into watching that terrible Transformers scene.
>>
>>63515224

It's ok

The setting is good.

It's a good Mad Max just like Dredd 3D was a good Dredd

Nothing excellent about it
>>
>>63516246
>>63516198
>>63516153
Oh great, we have to talk about this shit now. Fuck, this is even worse than when the first trailers came out.
>>
>>63516284
You got tricked into watching feminist propaganda masquerading as a mad max flick
>>
>>63516316
>Oh great, we have to talk about this shit now. Fuck, this is even worse than when the first trailers came out.
t- feminist shill
>>
File: 6443-620x-1237776235548.jpg (138 KB, 620x827) Image search: [Google]
6443-620x-1237776235548.jpg
138 KB, 620x827
>>63516284
Ok, what's wrong with it?

In the case of Fury Road, scene is a good example of where the film is let down by the frenetic style, because Cheeto's capture is reduced to basically another plot point/action beat. What's going on in the left-hand side of the frame? The shot is perfectly balanced and symmetrical, and the emphasis is on the other characters' reactions: "oh no, Cheeto has been grabbed".
>>
>>63516348
Go back to /r9k/
https://4ch.be/_/search/filename/404513_164671570348744_1888765802_n.jpg/
>>
File: 1414864974249.jpg (68 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1414864974249.jpg
68 KB, 960x640
>>63515661
>A large part of the hype was that everyone expected a 77 year old man shamelessly rebooting a franchise that hasn't been in cinemas in 30 years under big studio pressure to be just another play-it-safe PG-13 cash-grab shaky cam CGI shitfest with modern quippy dialogue. So the expectations were pretty low and people expected it to be a low-effort film.
>Instead we got an R-rated frankly strange movie with really impressive visual effects, great real stunt-work, and a lot of surprises. Simple premise, visual storytelling over dialogue, fantastic design and world building, great score and memorable characters. Again directed by a 77 year old grandpa who's last film credits were a pair of CGI dancing penguin movies.
>The film was more surprising than anything and did a lot of things that defies modern blockbuster conventions, didn't really stick to the formula and didn't make a lot of money as a result, but was so different and fun to watch that people adore it.
T - male feminist, bernie sanders supporter, registered democrat, and black nationalist
>>
>>63516477
>black nationalist
fuckin' kek
>>
>>63515661
That's an accurate analysis
>>
>>63516477
>T -
It's supposed to be "t." idiot. As in short for terveiset (regards).
>>
File: 1435647830141.jpg (81 KB, 401x373) Image search: [Google]
1435647830141.jpg
81 KB, 401x373
>>63515661
A well thought out, coherent post on /tv/?
>>
>>63516712
You think he gives a fuck? He just wants to call people feminists.
>>
>>63516778
Shut up, roastie.
>>
>>63516778
>Calling out feminist shills is bad
spotted the cúcked redditor
>>
>>63516968
>so c͏ucked he can't even evade the c͏uck filter
lmao c͏uck
s͏mh t͏bh fa͏m
>>
>>63517027
U+0063 LATIN SMALL LETTER C character
U+00CD LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH ACUTE character (Í)
U+008F <control> character (&#x008F;)
U+0075 LATIN SMALL LETTER U character
U+0063 LATIN SMALL LETTER C character
U+006B LATIN SMALL LETTER K character

that's how you do it kids

zelda out

▲ ▲
>>
>>63515999
people think that a lot of talking means good plot
>>
>>63515957
how i am suppose to see a comparison between a 4 minute clip compare to a second long clip?
Also you are fucking retarded to think that these scenes are similar
>>
>>63516712
Terveisin
>>
>>63518194
>t. assburgers
>>
File: 1rrcwi.jpg (113 KB, 720x602) Image search: [Google]
1rrcwi.jpg
113 KB, 720x602
>>63517915
Well, ok. Let me show it to you.

Transformers 4 is successfully using cinematic techniques to make an actress (who, in reality, was in no danger) appear utterly trapped - to make a normal car look like an inescapable prison.
You can see that both shots employ the same slightly bent, V-shaped window to enframe the action. The compositions are extremely similar. Instead of a net prop, Miller simply uses the foreground characters' flowing hair to fill the area outside the V. The red hair and the net are, in other words, functionally equivalent.

The compositions are very similar even though the contexts are different. The Fury Road shot simply shows the character being dragged away from the enclosure (the comfort and safety provided by her friends) while Transformers 4 shows her being dragged away by an enclosure. Same diff.

The real issue is that Fury Road is depicting a girl being abducted into sex-slavery by a dude in a Texas Chainsaw getup, and it's not the least bit horrific. The presentation is the same as any other stunt in the film: the woman's just dead-centre in the frame, there's little that makes the character grabbing her menacing. The camera angle is straight-on, only tilted up slightly. Like I noted before, the composition is perfectly balanced and symmetrical. And the shot's length doesn't let the impact set in. Then it cuts almost-immediately to Furiosa's reaction: it's all about her. I'd characterize it as 'neutral', 'objective', 'documentary'.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.