[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone explain why this wasn't a piece of shit and waste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Someone explain why this wasn't a piece of shit and waste of time.
>>
Nothing is a waste of time if you learn something from it.
>>
>>63514749
Queen of Earth was just a bad mishmash of Bergman and Polanski
>>
File: Marty.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Marty.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>63514773
You learned that it was a bad mishmash of Bergman and Polanski. You also learned that, in future, somebody like yourself may want to avoid seeing more of Alex Ross Perry's films.

See? Not a waste of your time.
>>
Stick to garbage like Sicario and Star wars lad.
>>
>>63514773
in what universe does that sound bad, let alone a waste of time.
>>
>>63514908
It explored nothing new and clanged too tightly to the clutch of "influences". There's a nightmare sequence in it that's straight up ripped off from Repulsion.
>>
>>63514773
Film critics compare "Queen of Earth" to Polanski and Bergman's "Persona", but it really ought to be compared to Noah Baumbach's "Frances Ha", as a story of two friends in the middle of unstable social ladders. Catherine's horror lies just in that--the burst of her middle class bubble after the death of her artist father/employer. During the climax she breaks down after hearing from the neighbor that she will never be as (socially) successful as her father.

This social success theme is actually extremely prominent in both Perry's and Baumbach's works, with the difference that Perry focuses on the horror, and Baumbach is all about the comedy and melancholy.
>>
>>63515994
>Film critics compare "Queen of Earth" to Polanski and Bergman's "Persona"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I knew I'd given up on modern film criticism for a reason.
>>
>>63515994
Hey Thor, what'd you think of 99 Homes and Entertainment?
>>
>>63515994
Finished with that movie?
>>
Are Listen Up Phillip and this better than The Color Wheel?
>>
>>63517047
With what movie?

>>63517045
"99 Homes" is pretty bad, and "Entertainment" is good, but it's merely classic Alverson in his boring, template-using mode.
>>
>>63517131
Yes. I would rate them like this:

"The Color Wheel" -- 4/10
"Listen Up Philip" -- 7/10
"Queen of Earth" -- 8/10

"Queen of Earth" is the best movie of 2015 I've seen so far.
>>
>>63517216
I feel the same way as you. Another question What do you think of Kelly Reichardt?
>>
>>63517249
Alright, I guess I'll give APR another shot.
>>
>>63517274
She is one of my favourite directors. "Wendy and Lucy" is one of maybe five movies I would rate 10/10.
>>
>>63517328
Nice. I hated Old Joy but I loved Wendy & Lucy and Night Moves. She has a very interesting vision.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.