[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
J.J. Abrams Wants Ava DuVernay to Direct a 'Star Wars' Movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
File: Uy6XzChl[1].jpg (36 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
Uy6XzChl[1].jpg
36 KB, 640x320
>In October, Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy said there’s nothing she’d like more than to see a woman direct one of the upcoming Star Wars movies. Now, her current Star Wars: The Force Awakens director, J.J. Abrams, has weighed in with one filmmaker he’d like to see enlisted for the gig.
>“One name that immediately comes to mind is Ava DuVernay, who I thought did just a mind-blowingly great job with Selma,” Abrams told Yahoo Movies (watch above). “And getting to know her a little since that movie… she is such a fan of genre films and storytelling.”
>Abrams added that there are many qualified candidates who fit the bill (just see Vulture’s recent list of 100 female directors who Hollywood should be hiring more), but that the 43-year-old DuVernay is his “knee-jerk reaction, because she loves the world so much and loves this genre and is such a talented storyteller. So if I had a say in this, which I don’t, I’d give her whatever she wants.”
source: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jj-abrams-wants-ava-duvernay-to-direct-a-star-165540406.html

IT'S OVER SHUT IT DOWN
>>
OY VEY.
>>
Selma was such a letdown. How do you manage to make an event like that so fucking boring and void of emotion? Fuck these people.
>>
>>63512046
is that the paki from the office?
>>
Does jarjar really think they're not going to ghost direct all the other movies?
>>
>>63512046
Selma was oscar bait: the movie. The riot scene is ridiculous because it goes from peaceful protest to the police targeting women and children for no raisins. I'm a liberal but the film's targeting of the race issues going on at the time of its release was bullshit. Garbage movie.
>>
Here we go again. I'll just say the same thing I did last time this thread popped up (though you get props for not making it instantly about her gender and/or race in the OP).

DuVernay being a black chick has no bearing on her ability to do Star Wars, but her having literally zero experience with sci-fi and fantasy does. Every single one of her movies is about black people's experiences in America over the last 50 years, culminating in (the extremely overrated) Selma. Which is whatever, it's what she does and a lot of people like it so it's not a problem or anything. But it makes it obvious that she would be completely out of her element doing Star Wars. Putting her on Star Wars would be like putting Michael Bay on a movie about a struggling feminist single mother; it just does not compute.

The only reason Abrams name-dropped her was because he wants his own franchise (Star Wars) to get street cred for being "with it" with all the cool kids' diversity and whatever the fuck. So he says her name in the same sentence as he mentions his own property, and thus associates his property with her success to give off an aura of inclusiveness and progression.
>>
>>63512330
I'll give you that it was oscar bait (much like Lincoln from the year before) but I don't see how you don't bring race to the forefront of a movie about Martin Luther king.
>>
>>63512046
At this point, why the fuck not.
This franchise is a fucking parody.
>>
>>63512558
I'm saying it was over-dramatized which was a problematic exploitation of the nation's current racial tensions.
>>
Literally who?
>>
File: 529.gif (131 KB, 665x546) Image search: [Google]
529.gif
131 KB, 665x546
>>
>black
>woman

Oh snap! This is double trouble for buttblasted pol-tards! Triggered faggots!

Fucking Josh Trank had a Star Wars movie, but THIS is going too far!
>>
i support this.

star wars needs to die and hope she will be the prohecised hero that can kill the beast
>>
File: marilyn.jpg (298 KB, 1008x623) Image search: [Google]
marilyn.jpg
298 KB, 1008x623
>being white will be made illegal in your lifetime
>>
File: 1447130988387.jpg (118 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
1447130988387.jpg
118 KB, 660x495
not like she could do any worse than the prequels
>>
>>63512501
>DuVernay being a black chick has no bearing on her ability to do Star Wars, but her having literally zero experience with sci-fi and fantasy does.

So no one can do a thing, unless they've already done that thing in the past? Do you realize how stupid you sound?

And for the record movies at their core are simply about emotion: humor, romance and drama, entertainment! The job of a director is to get the most emotional resonance and importance out of actors and the movie as a whole. JJ Abrams didnt sit around designing spaceships or aliens, he was busy working with the actors on set or in the editing room - directing the freaking movie!
>>
>getting a political Oscar-bait director to do a space opera movie

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (35 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
35 KB, 426x426
>>63512046
>>
[hand-rubbing intensifies]
>>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>63512915
If you only knew the truth...
>>
>>63512956
>So no one can do a thing, unless they've already done that thing in the past?

Maybe it's not the best idea to have your first movie in the genre be from literally the biggest franchise in the industry.
>>
>>63512863
>star wars needs to die

Why?
>>
>>63513088
Would you say the same for Lord and Miller?
>>
>>63513128
It has been sacrificed on the alter of focus groups.
>>
>>63513172
yes
>>
Most of the movies I've seen directed by women have actually been pretty good.

But I assume if you're a female director who is actually getting a shot you're more likely to have busted your ass for it more.

It's dumb that they're choosing her MOSTLY because she's a woman, however.
>>
>>63513128
>Why?

because its a 100 year old kids movie that served its purpose and only now serves to stifle the development of a growing mind. lazer swords? still? grown men cant get over lazer swords?
>>
16 year old youtube commenter omg i luv old music xD sry for my generation!!!! xBBBB redshit is the best upvotes roflchopper soy x-BB: the movie le reddit
>>
>>63512046
It was over when they decided to alienate the series fan base white males.

JJ Abrams is garbage tier anyway.
>>
>>63512046
Selma was pure oscar bait. It was the Precious of 2014.

If they want a black director get Antoine Fuqua or something.
>>
>>63512956
A director does more than just direct actors. They are basically the ones orchestrating the whole thing, and that includes determining what works and what doesn't work for the vision they have of the script. You act as if the Director has no relevance in pre-production, or any other stage of production for that matter, and only shows up for principal photography and the editing process.
>>
>>63512843

>anyone who believes in meritocracy is a poltard

stick a firecracker into your penis and light the fuse
>>
>>63513257
what the fuck is your problem mate? are you having a stroke?
>>
>>63513322
>yfw they they ask Spike Lee to direct
>>
JUST
>>
>>63513393
WE
>>
And I want Uwe Boll to direct a Martin Luther King biography.

Should be good times when the niggers start crying in the streets.
>>
>>63512046
JJ is becoming so out of control Jewish that it's like he's saying this kind of shit to troll as hard as possible.
>>
File: 1448373624877.png (110 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1448373624877.png
110 KB, 292x257
>he's a Star Wars fan
>>
She turned down black panther so I doubt this. She probably knows working on a marvel or Star Wars movie means that she gets less input and more studio interference
>>
>>63513467
>And I want Uwe Boll to direct a Martin Luther King biography.

That'd be one helluva documentary. kek
>>
>>63513467
someone should give uwe boll like 100 million to make whatever he wants, it would be hilarous no matter what he does
>>
>>63513514
Perlmutter is out.

The worst thing about Disney is that they are going to market and commercialize the shit out of it. Which isn't necessarily bad...
>>
>>63512046

Hollywood is really losing the plot. SW SJWs? That's just dumb.
>>
File: SMUG.jpg (24 KB, 543x815) Image search: [Google]
SMUG.jpg
24 KB, 543x815
>>
>>63512046

Can we see her direct action first? At least see her handle a middle IP first?
>>
>>63512151
I'd rather have her direct a Star Wars film, she'd probably do a better job.
>>
JJ puts the J into SJW.
>>
>>63512501
What a fucking stupid argument, Kershner did a bunch of cowboy TV shit and he directed the best film in the franchise
>>
>>63515485
That's because he wasn't in charge at all
>>
So does that mean Finn's going to sport a sequined glittering G string in protest to Leia's sexist slave uniform?
Bravo keks. Sick pieces of shit.
YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN PEDOPHILES.
Hell you're fucking worse. At least pedos know their scum.
>>
>>63515520
And she wouldn't be either because this wouldn't be her movie, it would be Disney's.
>>
>>63512843
Pretty much this

>can't have black people in positions of power. fucking kikes forcing niggers on us
>>
>>63513269
This. The backlash against Star Wars in time will be greater than the fall of capeshit movies
>>
>>63513454
WAEZ
>>
>>63512151
She's clearly basketball american
>>
>>63512046

In all fair, Selma is a mediocre movie but the main actor should have been nominated to the oscar, instead of the movie itself.

Good storyteller my ass.
>>
>>63515586
FEMINISTS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>63516081
While true, it was a strong year for male performances and the real snub was Gyllenhaal's in Nightcrawler.
>>
>>63512046
I have no problem with women directing famous shit. However a problem arises when it's blatantly forced, and he announces it to the media as if to say "Hey everyone, look how progressive I am".

Have them do it if they're good for the job, not because they're a woman. Fucking jews.
>>
At first I was kinda disappointed because then it would ensure that the new trilogy is shit, but then I remembered it was Star Wars so whatever just let it happen.
Just let the good black directors like Ryan Coogler and Steve McQueen make their movies and let her be in the sci-fi capeshit category where no one can make individual creative choices.
>>
I'd swear thats Mindy Kaling if I didn't know better
>>
>>63516081
Didn't they throw LBJ under the bus in the movie?
>>
>>63515554
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>63513340
Directors have zero relevance on modern Hollywood though.
>>
>Directing
>In a Disney movie

Like Marvel movies, these things are on auto pilot.
>>
>>63516913
Sure, because Shane Black's version of Iron Man was identical to Jon Favreau's.
>>
File: 1449558548168.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1449558548168.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>63517093
>Shane Black was the issue with IM3
>>
>>63517181
What? Where did I ever imply that he was the issue or if there even was an issue? What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>63512046
Rian Johnson is already set to direct episodes viii and ix.
>>
>>63516531
Heres a newsflash dude. In your warped mind, the presence of a minority will never not feel "forced" to you and dont pretend otherwise.
>>
>>63517296
Directing 8. Writing 9, not directing.
>>
>>63512330
PROTIP: Any period piece is going to reflect modern times. They all do.
>>
>>63512151
i thought the same thing, no it's not her
>>
Is he a producer or something? A simple director can't decide that crap.
>>
>>63512843
>unironically wanting people to get jobs based on their sex and skin color
>>
>>63512879
This. Spanishbro here and I feel for whites.
>>
>>63517301
Nah, you just think that anyone that doesn't blindly bow to progressiveness is a racist because you're from reddit
>>
>>63519102
>So if I had a say in this, which I don’t, I’d give her whatever she wants

Reading is hard.
>>
Why was selma covered in such a terrible fucking filter? It made everything look like garbage.
>>
>>63515485
Cowboy shows have more in common with Star Wars than movies about the struggles of black people. As he said, they want directors who are good at "genre films and storytelling".
>>
at this point it should be perfectly clear they're just exploiting clickbait and internet racists for free marketing.
>>
>>63512046
>feminists mad that Hwood only hires white Jews, typically young, males
>not knowing so it's that the higher ups can manipulate the director and get what they want

See what happened to The Trank Tanker. He fought back, like a bitch and got BTFO like a bitch.
If she did her thing, she'd probably let out what really goes on in Hollywood and the Mary Sue blogs will be in an uproar.
>>
>tfw i actually like ava duvernay and she's great in all her interviews
i want to marry her
>>
File: 4chan wtf.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
4chan wtf.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>>63512046
I HATE JJ ABRAMS
>>
It ain't happening, Disney would only hire her for the PR points, and they already tried for Marvel and failed.

Disney needs puppet directors that will do as they are told, and she already didn't get Black Panther because she wanted to do it her way. Don't see it being any different for Star Wars.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.