[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Phantom Menace releases >everyone loves it https://
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: star_wars_poster_d23.jpg (438 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_poster_d23.jpg
438 KB, 1280x1920
>Phantom Menace releases
>everyone loves it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw

No one will really know how they feel about The Force Awakens until a few years have passed. The diehard fans that make trailer reaction videos will love it even if it's shit, the contrarian /pol/-tards will hate it even if it's good.
>>
Haha great job at dictating the "discussion" already with that last bit you cine-illiterate
>>
>you have to be a contrarian /pol/-tard to dislike star wars the autists awaken
what about people who just don't like star wars because they are neither kids, manchildren, autists or retards?
>>
It's just a middle of the road rehash, Disney is playing it safe with this one since they're making a new SW every year and they can't risk cutting the legs out from under their new cash cow.
>>
>>63510149
>what about people who just don't like star wars because they are neither kids, manchildren, autists or retards?

Would someone who is none of the above hang around on /tv/ making posts like the one you just made?
>>
>>63510077
That is factually untrue. With the way we communicate and how people with numbers leading into the millions next to their name influence small minded people; the reaction to TFA will be mostly sincere.

I think that's a hang up of /tv/. So convinced that the world is still in the 90s/00s between mindset, intelligence and general opinion.
>>
>No one will really know how they feel about The Force Awakens until a few years have passed.

those are the blind fanboys. it's just another popcorn flick, the rest will known how they feel about it on the first view
>>
>>63512166
Disney has a huge mass media empire though. Why do you think marvel shit always get great reviews? Because they're actually good?
>>
File: 1405895459490.jpg (35 KB, 312x247) Image search: [Google]
1405895459490.jpg
35 KB, 312x247
>>63510077

I'm just watching Phantom Menace on Fox. Holy shit I didn't remember how awkward the dialogue is! Did Lucas write it himself?

> Refugees from the court leaving planet Naboo
> Jar Jar shenigans
> Much laughter, such funny
> Court chick: "You're a Gungan aren't you"

Mfw they don't recognise their own planet's other sentient species.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 620x351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 620x351
>"This is for the Resistance! Long live Campania!"
>>
>>63510077
Bulllllsssshhhhhiiiiit

Sans a few of the more autistic diehard fanboys, the consensus on TPM was instantly negative on release. I know I'm an old fart and probably no one else here remembers those days, but most people on forums and message boards hated it or thought it was mediocre. Same with AotC and RotS (though to a lesser extent with the latter).

The whole "everyone liked the prequels at first until negative nancy fanboys nitpicked them to death and that's why they're hated now" narrative is a recent invention and doesn't at all reflect reality.
>>
>>63512328

Same here anon. I watched it on big screen back in the day and was instantly disappointed. I thought it would get better at some point but it really didn't. Probably the only good thing about the whole sorry mess was the lightsaber duel with Darth Maul.

Amusingly, I went to see the rest of the prequels in cinema as well, thinking that ffs they MUST get better, but even if there was marginal improvement, they were still really dumb overall.

Serves to remind us that SW films really for kids.
>>
>>63512359
Die you fucking Barneyfag.
>>
File: Vibro Baton.webm (1 MB, 1280x532) Image search: [Google]
Vibro Baton.webm
1 MB, 1280x532
>>63512232
Because people like them? Why is this such a hard concept for some people to understand?

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say, ok, this film will appease fans, new and old alike. It will also try and capture the female and minority audience as well. They are going for a crowd pleaser.

Why is it that this is such a crime for people to be entertained?

>my space opera isn't serious for serious viewers such as my distinguished taste would appropriate

Then don't watch it? It seems like you're having more a fit not enjoying it than people will ever have enjoyed it for the 2+ hours of time. Which is disturbingly sad.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 561x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 561x316
>1999, southern California.
>Get invited to the midnight showing of Phantom Menace by a friend and his two fanatic buddies even though I'm not that into Star Wars.
>Stand in line three hours before the movie starts.
>Geeks doing lightsaber fights for news crews covering the premiere.
>Get in our seats in the theatre.
>Everyone's super hype as the intro music starts and the Star Wars title comes on the screen.
>Not being a hardcore fan, I realize early on the movie kind of sucks.
>I cringe every time Jar Jar or kid Anakin are on screen.
>I notice people around me are starting to feel the same.
>Movie ends and about a quarter of the theatre claps softly.
>I notice some people are giving half-hearted "I loved it. I thought it was great." soundbites to the news crews who stuck around for instant reactions.
>Get into the car and drive off without anyone saying anything.
>A few miles pass before the most hardcore Star Wars fanatic of the group says "You know, I didn't really like it that much."
>Nobody responds and we all get dropped off without another word from anyone.
>Meet up with my friend a week later and talk about how awkward it was and he says it's fine because nobody wanted to acknowledge how bad the movie was and how much time and energy they wasted being so hype.
A different friend got me tickets to watch Force Awakens in an early screening the evening prior to release date even though I'm still not a big Star Wars fan. I know it's going to happen again.
>>
>>63512527
Critics are supposed to judge the movies, not eat junk food like everyone else. Hell, nobody remember critics used to hate everything? The old stereotype of the critic as a bitter artist. I seriously doubt movies become better and the corporative control over the media is more shameless than ever.
>>
Its a known fact that the movies were considered good until red letter meme made those shitty reviews.
>>
sorry for poor english
>I was 13
>When i went out out of the car i crushed my fingers in the door
>It hurted for days
>When i ordered popcorn i got salty ones instead of sugar
>Got sick but it's okay i going too see the best movie of all times right?
>JarJar, the awfull powerpoint transitions, annoying charcters, shitty story...etc
>realise something is wrong
>before that i was a kid who loved every movie i saw
>now i realise that movie industry is run by greedy people who make shit to make money no caring about making a good movie
>after that i became a bitter human and few years after i stopped to giving money to hollywood
Thanks georges Lucas
>>
>>63512287
What's going on there?
>>
I think my wife's son will enjoy it. I'm taking him to see it next week.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>63513273
hi george
>>
>>63512655
>I know it's going to happen again.
I wouldn't be so sure. At least not on the level that it happened with The Phantom Menace. Perhaps you and your friends won't be very entertained by it. But it's never going to get the backlash TPM got.
>>
>>63513785

Caesar getting sliced I guess.

> Also, what is that triangle after the post number.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.