[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> For Stephen Colbert and CBS, this wasn’t the game plan.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: Whhhhhy.png (377 KB, 720x1044) Image search: [Google]
Whhhhhy.png
377 KB, 720x1044
> For Stephen Colbert and CBS, this wasn’t the game plan.
> Because now…just three months after so much hype and so much love went into Mr. Colbert’s debut as the new host of Late Night, the former Comedy Central star has somehow fallen into 4th place where it matters most. In the all-important demo, he’s now being doubled up (and then some) by NBC’s Jimmy Fallon (outscored by 137 percent) and hasn’t beaten ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel in over a month. But here’s where CBS brass is likely doing a double-take: During the week of November 23-27, the 11:35 PM Late Show on CBS was beaten by Seth Meyers, who happens to be on one hour later (12:35 PM) on the Peacock.
> If there was ever an example of a trend, you just saw it. Then there’s this: Colbert’s numbers are down almost 45 percent since his debut week, and have only increased once week-to-week since the week ending on September 21st, trending downward slowly but consistently.

What the freak happened? /tv/ told me Colbert would be a huge success...
>>
Maybe they will give him the daily show when the nigger gets cut. His smarmy faggot leftist schtick should work there.
>>
>>63500699

>racial slur

strike 1

>homophobic slur

strike 2

>injecting politics into this

strike 3, you're OUT
>>
File: 1449461897804.jpg (2 MB, 1900x1155) Image search: [Google]
1449461897804.jpg
2 MB, 1900x1155
>>63500737
go get em tiger
>>
>/tv/ told me Colbert would be a huge success
No they didn't. Everyone called him reddit: the host
>>
What nobody likes Colbert's tired snarky "sophisticated" satire?
>>
File: 133353423543.jpg (48 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
133353423543.jpg
48 KB, 600x440
>>63500737
>>>/Reddit/ is that way faggot
>>
>>63500737
literally reddit
>>
How does he lose to Seth Meyers?
That cunt is impossibly unfunny.
>>
>>63500819
Because Colbert tries to be intelligent and the general tv viewer population don't want intelligent because it makes them feel like the retards they are.
>>
>>63500617
>/tv/ told me Colbert would be a huge success...

/tv/ is always wrong
>>
>>63500853
intelligent post +1
>>
>>63500617
I really do not understand how this is a surprise to anyone. Fallon, Kimmel, and Meyers all beat him because they dont have this completely undeserved smugness about them. Colbert talks down to and belittles not only his guests but also his audience. He is a pretentious little shit without an ounce of talent to back it up and the numbers are only gonna reflect that more as more and more rose colored glasses come off.
>>
>>63500819
Seth Meyers is hilarious
>YA BURNT
>>
Colbert alienates the conservatives far too much, that simple.
>>
Colbert created a niche for himself in his Comedy Central show, built around his faux conservative persona. I remember when it first started a lot of people found him obnoxious and thought he wouldn't even last a year. But he grew on people. His interviews were often fantastic because he never let up his satire, which sometimes caused visible confusion in his interviewees who had no idea how to respond to his often ludicrous questions.

His little gimmicky segments like The Word or Threatdown became fan favorites.

Now you subtract all that, and you're back to square one. Just who is Colbert really without all his persona and bit routines and awkward interviews? Apparently not a very compelling host.
>>
File: 1443769826106.jpg (35 KB, 385x375) Image search: [Google]
1443769826106.jpg
35 KB, 385x375
If you want an idea of how shit Colbert is, watch the bill maher interview. it's painful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9qU0Qp6qI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOArHvBXOs
>>
>>63500924
His style on the Late Show tries to emulate Letterman too much. Unfortunately Letterman's style just isnt funny these days.
>>
>>63500909
Exactly, that's the thing i hate the most. Why can't he just let the guests speak freely without putting them down.
>>
>>63500951
jesus christ does he want to talk about an issue or not? Every time Maher starts to get a point going he shuts him down.
How the fuck did he get this job?
>>
File: 1449031279088.jpg (82 KB, 555x526) Image search: [Google]
1449031279088.jpg
82 KB, 555x526
>>63500951
Fuck your smug faggot face. I enjoyed this interview more than a lot of talk shows
>>
>>63500853
How exactly does he try to be intelligent? While anything may be smarter than the schlock Fallon shits out, I don't think I've heard any particularly intelligent bits from Colbert.
>>
>>63500951
>you can't wipe people out, what you have to do is wipe out the idea

fucking liberals man
>>
File: 1443380523283.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443380523283.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>63501126
it's stilted and awkward as fuck
>>
>>63500617
Please bring back Letterman.
>>
>>63500961
the weird thing is that he has some elements Letterman used (like a band with the leader mic'd up) but doesn't really use them. the best parts of his show are the ones closest to the Colbert Report.
>>
>>63500699
Niggers on both comedic news shows on comedy central; not an agenda or anything.
>>
Craig should have got the show like he was meant to.
>>
>>63500915
this. even by approaching subjects in a way that isn't PURELY neutral, a bunch of middle-of-the-road right-leaning viewers just get uncomfortable. it's not about him saying things that are unreasonable. any political coverage with a satirical edge is going to be offputting to them. it's the people who strictly follow the "don't talk politics at the dinner table" premise in their real lives that you lose by doing satire.
>>
>>63501364
If Colbert were to dish it out evenly then it would be fine. When someone like McCain or Trump is his guest he grills them. When the Clinton's or Biden is on he sucks their dicks. The bias is insufferable.
>>
>>63501364
Fucking shill. Colbert is an over the top, dick in the ass, apologetic for slavery, liberal kek. It's like he's satirizing a liberal, the same way he did with a conservative on his old show. Don't you dare try to make him look like he's the least bit moderate you faggot.
>>
>>63500961
say what you will but Letterman went out number one for late night.
>>
>>63501414
>Clinton and Biden have done as much that is satire-worthy as Trump (lmao) and McCain

I agree that not behaving like this is true is the reason Colbert loses viewers.
>>
>>63501414
Yeah, just compare his Trump interview to Fallon's. Colbert was clearly trying to catch him slipping while Fallon just treated him like a regular guest, even involving him in a sketch.
>>
>>63501415
>apologetic for slavery
???
>>
>>63501484
Trump is a fucking joke, but Biden and McCain should demand the same level of respect.

Not him btw
>>
>>63501454
Wasn't that because of his "I'm retiring" shtick for the last month?
>>
>>63501454
Because the guy had been on tv for decades. He was familiar and I guess he had a certain old New York charm to him that is missing from tv these days. But for the people who switched over from CC to see more Colbert, its a totally outdated style of comedy and presentation. For the younger generation who want to see their favourite meme actor do a funny skit they can share on Facebook the next day, there's nothing that Colbert offers them.
>>
>>63501484
Yeah, make jokes in the monologue all you want but when they are the guest treat them with respect and be bipartisan. He was literally sucking the cum out of Biden's dick.
>>
>>63501414
>>63501494
Trump looked bored after the first few minutes. I think he realised the whole interview was going to be a halfassed showing from Colbert and just suffered through it.
>>
>>63501512
the thing about Biden is he's barely even done anything. he's not been a particularly active Vice President, he's mostly been ceremonial.

plus the interview was after he lost his son. I mean what did you expect.

this is an old discussion, about whether avoiding bias is the same as applying the same airtime to criticism for both sides. it unavoidably means that effectively the media provides cover to whoever sides plays dirtiest, because they end up needing to exaggerate the seriousness of its criticism of whoever doesn't. bias can't be judged mathematically precisely because any formula winds up being exploitable.
>>
>>63501615
I agree 100%. There's absolutely no bias on the new Late Night Show.
>>
File: putinfrog.png (88 KB, 230x217) Image search: [Google]
putinfrog.png
88 KB, 230x217
>post yfw Colbert gets cancelled due to his show being a massive failure
>>
>>63500617

I liked him better when he was a conservative.

Becoming a libtard sucks the comedy out of everything.
>>
File: 1359362948561.jpg (123 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1359362948561.jpg
123 KB, 604x604
>>63500617
>what the freak happened
>reddit picture
>>
Thing is, his monologues are the same type of political material from the Colbert Report, but without the same punch that the colbert character had. Now he's literally just smiling his way through halfassed jokes and his studio audience laps it up.
>>
>>63500737
kek underrated post
>>
>>63500617
Liberals liked Colbert because he agreed with their politics. Conservatives hated Colbert because he didn't agree with their politics.

Colbert ditched the politics with his late-night show, and liberals ditched him. Former fans abandoned him for giving Trump "a platform." Meanwhile, conservatives still don't like him (a lot of them are cheering his failure here) because he shat on them for years and hasn't made good on it.

And, just to be honest, I've seen some of his stuff, and it just lacks edge. There's no bite to his humor like there was before. He makes soft, easy jokes that are sure to offend no one but, at the same time, they don't make anyone laugh.

Colbert lost it.
>>
>>63500951
>being less funny than bill fucking maher
Ouch. How the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>63500951
Nico would look good taking black cock
>>
>>63501911
there's a bunch of people in this thread complaining that he's still too liberal. it's pretty obvious why most of these shows focus on celebrities and memes given how much of a no-win trying to do a mainstream American satire show is.
>>
>>63500756
this desu senpai
>>
>>63500617
He turned extremely liberal and as we all know liberals can't tell jokes consecutively without taking the fun out them with each joke
>>
A lot of it has to do with his SHIT tier level guests. Tonight Show has bigger stars and they are mostly doing to be doing something light and fun to watch for today's viewer who is raised on 2min internet clips.

Look at the guest lists for the week.. Tonight show has Bernie on but also a WWE star on the same show. Everyone else, at least for the lead guest, are pretty decent level stars. Most of them will doing some sort of skit or game or whatever.

Then go look at Colbert's guest list, it's totally lacking in today's star power outside of JLaw.. Ohhh I bet the show with "U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power" is going to RACK up the rating points!! Throw in some Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ike Barinholtz, Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, Marion Cotillard and George Saunders to really bring in those younger viewers.

TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JIMMY FALLON, NBC

Mo 12/7: Claire Danes, Ron Howard, Logic
Tu 12/8: Sen. Bernie Sanders, John Cena, Troye Sivan
We 12/9: Amy Poehler, Kevin Nealon, Lalah Hathaway
Th 12/10: Chris Hemsworth, Jim Gaffigan, Jamie Lawson
Fr 12/11: Will Smith, Kirsten Dunst, Calvin Harris
Mo 12/14: Tina Fey, Dane DeHaan, Kenny Rogers
Tu 12/15: Mark Wahlberg, Bill Burr, Sheryl Crow

THE LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERT, CBS

Mo 12/7: Steve Carell, Jennifer Hudson
Tu 12/8: Marion Cotillard, George Saunders, Joanna Newsom
We 12/9: Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, Allen Leech, Adam McKay, Kurt Vile
Th 12/10: Bruce Willis, Michael Lewis, Lizzo
Fr 12/11: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ike Barinholtz, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
Mo 12/14: Jennifer Lawrence, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Sleater-Kinney
Tu 12/15: Quentin Tarantino, Jonathan Groff, Squeeze
We 12/16: Robert DeNiro, Daniel Gilbert, Henry Rollins
Th 12/17: Michael Moore, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power, Michael C. Hall, a performance by the Broadway cast of "Lazarus"
Fr 12/18: Mandy Patinkin, Leon Bridges
>>
>>63500617
Colbert can't function alone unless he's doing a character.

He should do his show Graham Norton style: let the guests talk and just guide conversation. There's no other show in the US doing that, so it both improves the show AND has a veneer of originality to it.

He also needs to stop being so political. Letterman was a liberal but he kept it out of his show (for the most part).
>>
File: 1449430472038.jpg (29 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
1449430472038.jpg
29 KB, 279x304
>>63501732
>>
File: DENNIS.png (374 KB, 485x602) Image search: [Google]
DENNIS.png
374 KB, 485x602
>>63501996
>Quentin Tarantino
>>
>>63500754
Guys, I just noticed but if you take a very close look at the picture of Pierre Trudeau (Justin Trudeau's father) with Fidel Castro, you can see clearly that he is in fact, CIA.
>>
>>63501959
Yep, and there's a bunch of liberals claiming he's too conservative now, especially after his Jeb interview. Dude has made enemies on both sides.
>>
his 'character' was never a character at all. just him being a sarcastic faggot which was somehow worse than lebowitz just sitting there shilling. when he has to be charismatic and funny he has nothing, because his entire show was facetious garbage comedy.
>>
>There's no bite to his humor like there was before. He makes soft, easy jokes that are sure to offend no one but, at the same time, they don't make anyone laugh.

Leno made a career of this. But he also had a big doof, comfy charisma that colbert lacks.
>>
>>63501531
>old New York charm
Hmmmmm
>>
>>63502000
>There's no other show in the US doing that,
For a reason
>>
Who the fuck even cares about this shit?

Fallon is Philistine anti-comedy and Kimmel is close behind. Colbert is a liberal Stewart stooge (haha le conservatives so fanny!! XD)

The fact that people still watch this shit is why eugenics is a reasonable platform
>>
>>63500951
I never thought I'd prefer Bill Maher over Colbert. I must be maturing.
>>
>>63502104
The problem is he's leaning too far on the right, alienating the liberals, while still remaining too rational for conservatives. He's quite possibly the funniest talk show host on right now, but there's just not enough political appeal to his show.
>>
>>63502272
>Per The Hollywood Reporter‘s survey of 1000 late-night viewers aged 18-65, only 17 percent of those identified themselves as Republican watch Colbert, while attracting 47 percent of those who identify as Democrats, a 30-point gap. But more liberals watch late-night TV than stuffy, old conservatives, right? Guess again. In Kimmel’s case, the split is 34 percent Democrats, 33 percent Republicans. In Fallon’s case, it’s 36-31 Democrats.
>>
>>63502256
yeah, pretty soon you'll be able to graduate from high school.
>>
>>63502464
Not if the goddamn dean has anything to say about that.
>>
>>63502400
>his buffoonery is unsanctioned
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.