[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the Marvel movies so well received? Not to sound cliche,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: MarvelVillains.png (548 KB, 1091x279) Image search: [Google]
MarvelVillains.png
548 KB, 1091x279
Why are the Marvel movies so well received? Not to sound cliche, but I literally feel like the kid from the emperor's new clothes story sometimes. Every time one of these movies comes off of the assembly line, it's either treated like gold or given a pass because it's better than non-MCU superhero movies. I'm sorry, but marginally better by comparison doesn't equate to good.

The lowest ranked MCU film on rotten tomatoes is Iron Man 2 at 72%. That means according to professional movie critics, every mainstream MCU film EVER MADE ranges somewhere from good to EXTREMELY good.

But why? These movies are so fucking mediocre it hurts. Almost every Marvel movie falls into one of two categories...

1. Hero gets some sort of power and eventually has to fight a generically evil version of himself.

Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Ant Man, Winter Soldier (this one is admittedly better than the others, but still relies heavily on this trope) Age of Ultron (although this one combines the second formula as well)

2. Good guys fight each other for a while before teaming up to fight a common enemy.

Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron, (educated guess) Civil War.

The only two that don't fall neatly into these categories are Thor 2, a movie whose antagonist was a horde of Dark Elves that spoke in subtitles and some weird blackish red goo, and Captain America, a movie so bloated that all of it's key action setpieces had to be shown in montage, but inexplicably managed to find time to come to a screeching halt to incorporate a 3 minute long Broadway style dance number.

The villains are one dimensional, the dramatic tension is almost always undercut by obnoxious jokes, and there are never any consequences to anything that happens movie to movie (remember when SHIELD was decimated? Yeah, whatever, they all work for Tony Stark now. What, he quit in the last movie? Well he's back now because fuck you).
>>
Because they're fun.
>>
and yet, somehow, they can keep making the same movie over and over for seven fucking years and people keep coming. They can do no wrong.

What the hell has to happen in order for these boring ass movies to fail?
>>
I just watch these movies to see superheroes punch things, okay. I'm not gonna pretend the plot isn't garbage 90% of the time.
>>
The guys running Marvel Studios have basically perfected the formula for creating action movies with the broadest appeal possible: Little kiddies just love looking at the superheroes, young women love ogling all the manflesh and pretty faces on display, dudebro's love the explosions and the jokes, nerds love their fidelity and references to the comics. They're also probably really easy to make for the studios so they can save on hiring actual script writers and directors (and if I recall correctly the GotG script was written by a fan who won a contest, probably free of charge).
>>
File: 24.png (16 KB, 800x473) Image search: [Google]
24.png
16 KB, 800x473
>>63497463

Because they are good and fun movies.

>obnoxious jokes
You, dislike this type of fun. Most people like this type of fun

>The villains are one dimensional,
I agree, I would like to see more interesting villains
>>
>>63497463
Don't forget Cap 1 ends with a fight between him and Red Skull (bad captain america)

>What, [Tony] quit in the last movie? Well he's back now because fuck you).
Oh wait, you're an idiot.
>>
>>63497463
>Thor

Thor never fought an evil version of himself

He fought a powerful non-sentient armor, and his wicked magician stepbrother whose personality, powers and motivations are completely different from his
>>
Fun, disposable entertainment.
Popcorn flicks.
Like most westerns, monster movies and swashbucklers used to be.
Predictable formula, good time, no need to see again. The McDonalds of cinema.
>>
>>63498484
But could you ever imagine this type of capeshit redeeming itself like the western did?
>>
>>63498437
If you made a venn diagram for thor and loki
Thor would have mjolnir and lightning
Loki would have holograms and turning blue
And they'd share long life span, quick healing, super human strength, super human durability

It's the whole Asgarding powers overlap that makes them similar. None of the villains have the heroes' personalities or motives.
>>
>>63497463
CW's villain is head of a DoD agency
>>
>>63497463
The hero's struggle against an evil version of himself is a representation of the dialectic that is the human condition.
>>
>>63497463

Not so clever hidden DC fag rant
>>
>DC
>All 3 batman films are just him vs evil batman
>Superman is just superman vs evil superman

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1449174446154.png (591 KB, 1910x535) Image search: [Google]
1449174446154.png
591 KB, 1910x535
>>63498830

>calling ra's al ghul bad batman
>calling the joker bad batman
>calling bane bad batman

you kiddos can't discuss anything without turning it into a "my x is better than your y" shitfest
>>
>>63497463
TDK is a better example of an emperors new clothes movie
>>
Well first of all, you don't understand Rotten Tomatoes' scoring. And the "top critics" score is 5.9/10. With everyone included, it is 6.5.
>>
>>63497463
Welcome to the club. Where Marvel gets praised for taking a shit, and DC gets shit on because people think they're trying to make the same kind of "popcorn flick".

>>63498830
The difference with Zod is at least he has motives, he has a goal that isn't just "Myaah, money!" or "Myaah, evil! Destroy and/or rule the world!" He was a better character because he was arguably right. He was doing what he could to bring back his near extinct race because it was his rightful duty.

Is there a Marvel villain who you could arguably say is right?
>>
I dont understand either, dont get me wrong I like DC, but even those are kind of boring after the first watch.

And the reason theyre so well recieved is because the mass popukation has shit taste and will watch the worst movies and keep seeing them, they also appeal to little children, who make their parents see them.
>>
>>63497510
They have to be so bad that even the most pleb of simpletons can hate it.

So it won't happen basically.
>>
>>63498961
Babe was admittingly the most similar to batman.
>>
>>63497510

It'll just happen. Remember disco? It defined a decade, it was huge, it was everywhere.

And then one day it was just over.
>>
Movies have this magic to them that makes things acceptable, for some reason
>>
>>63497463

Marvel isnt built on villains

their villains are pretty much all interchangable generic trash that feel totally impotent in their plot

loki is the exception, which is why they keep bringing him back. and ronan was perhaps a step above the rest since he actually seemed to be a threat, but still pretty lackluster

villains in MCU films are punching bags for the heroes to throw quips at, a marvel film hasnt been driven by a villain since like X2 or Spider man 2
>>
>>63497463
First of all, that image is retarded because it ignores Loki entirely and disregards Ronan just because he's not recognizable - as if any casual viewer would know who ANY of the Marvel villains are beforehand. I also notice a lack of Red Skull - who was much more of a 'Bad Captain America' than Bucky was.

As for your question, they are just good, fun superhero movies. There is nothing inherently bad about them. You can't really say a formulaic plot makes a movie bad because then the majority of movies would be bad. I'll address some of your points head on and refute them:

>Every time one of these movies comes off of the assembly line, it's either treated like gold or given a pass because it's better than non-MCU superhero movies.
You just described them as the best of the genre, and yet you're wondering why they do better than other movies of that genre.

> Hero gets some sort of power and eventually has to fight a generically evil version of himself.
The only movies I can think of that follow this are Iron Man, Hulk, First Avenger, and Ant-Man. Iron Man 2 doesn't feature Tony getting some power and he doesn't fight a doppelgänger. Unless you actually think that a villain using technology in an Iron Man movie is unwarranted. But I don't think you're that stupid. Also, Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron feature origin stories and 'generic evil versions' of the heroes? Did you even watch those movies?

>Good guys fight each other for a while before teaming up to fight a common enemy
This is one of the most common formulas in storytelling and a staple of Marvel stories in general.

>Captain America, a movie so bloated that all of it's key action setpieces had to be shown in montage
Guess you slept through the rest of the movie - which is based entirely around action set pieces?

>there are never any consequences to anything that happens movie to movie
There's a whole movie dealing with nothing BUT that
>>
>>63497463
>Fresh score = critical score
Nigger you're doing it wrong.

MCU movies range between 60% and 80%.

>>63497489
If you're retarded and are used to sitcoms, yeah.
>>
File: NBC-the-more-you-know-300x197.jpg (15 KB, 300x197) Image search: [Google]
NBC-the-more-you-know-300x197.jpg
15 KB, 300x197
>>63497463
>Why are the Marvel movies so well received?
Because they are fun simple entertaining movies that cater to as wide an audience as possible. This isn't rocket science Anon.

>here is some long winded bullshit about why I don't like Marvel
No one is gonna read your shit OP and no one fucking cares.
>>
>>63498031
I don't know why nobody replied, this guy absolutely nailed it
>>
They really need to set up and let a villain gestate for atleast 1-2 films, have a film where the villain wins (but their goal isn't DESTOY DA WURLD!) or phyrric victory for the good guys.

But yeah, the lack of a decent villain is probably what's going to shoot the MCU in the foot. It's the weakest link in the chain.
>>
>>63499895
>X2 or Spider man 2
Which just so happen to be the best Marvel movies. What a kekincidence.
>>
>>63500071
No they don't. Marvel knows exactly what it is doing and it is working. They are making tens of billions of dollars and their movies are extremely popular. They don't need your fucking input.
>>
>>63497510
It kinda seems like they are some kind of genre, that they keep having the same themes and visuals and are also connected.

They are comic book movies. They are also trying to keep to a standard that ties them all together and is easily accessible to normies, just like comic books. The recent batman movies are more like crime movies featuring batman, what with them trying to be more realistic and just connected to each other. Why do you think marvel movies all look the same and aren't like regular movies? They aren't trying to be movies but more like comic books come to life via a screen.

I like to think of it like a tv show with a bigger budget spanning a decade rather than a year.

I also like the batman movies, but I don't sperg out and pick a side. I appreciate the movies for what they are: entertainment.
>>
>>63500155

We'll see how they're tracking in 10 years time.
>>
RT averages how many people liked the movie, not how much they liked it, so an 83% doesn't necessarily mean that movie is an 8/10, but maybe just like 83% of critics thought it was a 6/10. Also, RT counts the opinions of way too many internet critics who have no real grasp of film criticism.
>>
>>63497463
Because they're safe and inoffensive so people can mindlessly enjoy them and turn up for the next installment knowing what they'll get. It's like McDonalds, tastes kinda ok but no good nutrition or substance.
>>
>>63497463
That's not just red goo you lower rprimate that's a god damn Infinity Stone
>>
>>63499656
Zod was petty. He could have just started the process on a different planet, it wasn't like he was running out of time. What makes him different from the villain(s) from Transformers 3?
>>
>>63500228
What a nerd
>>
>>63499656
>He was a better character because he was arguably right.
No he wasn't, he was needlessly committing genocide because he didn't see the value in human life. He could've terraformed literally any other planet. His goals are really not that far off from Ronan or even The Red Skull.
>>
>>63500319
Yeah but would a nerd ram his cock in your mom?

Checkmate DC.uck
>>
>>63498961
Ra's and Bane were both foils to Batman in so many ways. Joker is a bit of a stretch, though. He's not an evil Batman so much as the polar opposite of Batman.
>>
File: this_is_you_op.jpg (37 KB, 267x300) Image search: [Google]
this_is_you_op.jpg
37 KB, 267x300
>>63497463
>>
>>63499656
>Is there a Marvel villain who you could arguably say is right?
HYDRA after Red Skulls and Alexander Pierce after he discovered that diplomacy a shit. They didn't want to rule the world just to rule it, they actually believed that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. A hell of alof better than "hurt durr let's kill DA hoomans 4 krypton amirite"
>>
>>63497463
Hey now. While the thor movies don't deserve being above 50% rating, the only thing they did well was The Destroyer. I went in expecting a sub-par hero film (thor isn't a good base) and a comically laughable robot bad guy. What I got was 10 minutes of a really good fantasy film, a big room covered in hippo shit, and a terrifying robot monster.

The sound is what really sold it.
>>
>>63497463

I think the characters and tones of the movies tend a bit more towards goofy/camp kind of stuff, which I think is a big relief to people mired in grimdark reboots/sequels/adaptations, and is more fitted to cape comic stories in general.

That's what people liked about GotG I think. In had a neat, weird universe with neat, weird characters and a hint of levity to all the big CGI battle sequences. And all that was wrapped around a story of lonely, misfit people coming together, which is a story audiences will never stop liking.

None of the things you mentioned matter. People like the lighthearted moments, people don't mind cookie-cutter plot templates, simple villains are refreshing in the modern day, and nobody really cares about inter-movie continuity aside from nerds, audiences at large will be quite willing to accept some restructuring, if they even notice.
>>
Marvel film has actual character interactions unlike their DC counterparts.
>>
>>63500482

You mean you dont like "was getting caught part of your plan?"
>>
Am I the only one that thinks Thanos looks really stupid?
I don't know what it is but something about his face, probably his chin, really bugs me and makes it impossible for me to take him seriously.
>>
>>63499895
>villains in MCU films are punching bags for the heroes to throw quips at
I hate this thing, there is absolutely no tension or interest in watching such plots.
>>
>>63497463
>The lowest ranked MCU film on rotten tomatoes is Iron Man 2 at 72%. That means according to professional movie critics, every mainstream MCU film EVER MADE ranges somewhere from good to EXTREMELY good.
What? No it does not. It means that with every mainstream movie ever made, at least 3/4 of critics think they're worth watching.
The ratings are under the critics' approval scores.
72% of critics (62% of top critics) reckon that Iron Man 2 is worth giving a watch. Their average rating for the movie isn't 7.2, it's 6.5 (5.9 for top critics).

Why do so many people on /tv/ not know how RT works?

Also, the lowest ranked MCU film on RT isn't Iron Man 2 - it's Thor: The Dark World with 66% approval (57% for top critics) and an average score of 6.2/10 (5.6 for top critics).
>>
>>63499784
That'll do bat, that'll do.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.