[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown. Wait, what did he mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: wut.jpg (177 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
177 KB, 1920x1080
>Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

Wait, what did he mean by this?
>>
>>63496253
Just seen this, do i like it?
>>
>>63496253
as little as possible
>>
Sometimes there's shit that you gotta deal with in life. If you're lucky and you work hard, you can get above most of it, but even then there's just going to be some things that you can't fix.
>>
Polanski's pregnant wife was brutally murdered two years before he shot Chinatown.
>>
You can get all you can eat for 5 dollars but it'll likely give you food poisoning,
>>
>chinatown is god tier
>like literally its one of the finest works ever captured on film
>look up polanski's other work
>nothing but absolute dogshit aside from the rare, terribly average film here and there

what happened? was chinatown just a product of the screenwriter and cinematographer?
>>
>>63498458
Flawless script and Polanski probably had a fire burning inside of him from his wife's slaughter that motivated him on this but eventually went out
>>
File: 1398195208037.jpg (28 KB, 380x250) Image search: [Google]
1398195208037.jpg
28 KB, 380x250
Forget it Wojak, it's PeePee PooPoo Town

What did Pepe mean by this?
>>
>>63498458
What
>Rosemary's Baby
>The Tenant
>Repulsion
>Macbeth
>Cul-De-Sac
>The Pianist

These are all fantastic, and I imagine the rest of his filmography also holds some gems.
>>
>>63498630
I like Repulsion A LOT
>>
>>63496253
That when they worked in Chinatown the best thing to do was to do as little as possible because with the tongs and triads and dialects they never knew if they were helping or making it worse
>>
>>63498458
Polanski rewrote Robert Townes script
So its a product of both of their work

Compare it to the Two Jakes, that was bad
Pure Robert Towne script, Nicholson directing it himself
>>
>>63498458
The pianist was good. Don't be a contrarian.
>>
>>63498568
>flawless script
Polanski rewrote it, made changes, changed the ending, removed the voice over
>>
>>63496253

When Jake was assigned to work in Chinatown, the situation was such a clusterfuck it often times wasn't worth the effort to do real detective work.

At the end of the Mulray thing, the situation becomes so unwieldily and out of anyone's hands that it's not worth continuing.

The subtext of the line is "This situation is beyond you, let it go." It is noir-ish nihilism at its finest.
>>
>>63498458
yes, it's mostly Robert Towne, although Polanski did a very good job of curbing the excesses of Towne's earlier drafts (it originally started in 70s LA with an elderly Gittes getting stuck in a traffic jam and flashing back to the historical setting). The commonly available draft of the script is itself different from the final movie and the differences are improvements.

also, Rosemary's Baby is great if you enjoy it's quirky tone.
>>
>>63496378
no, you have rightly decided that it is reddit
>>
>>63498707
>It is noir-ish nihilism at its finest.

fatalism, not nihilism

>>63498706
>>63498688
according to Bill Goldman, Polanski almost fucked up the movie with a weird, avaunt garde musical score and the final theme was written at the last minute. collaboration is where its at.
>>
>>63498723
>(it originally started in 70s LA with an elderly Gittes getting stuck in a traffic jam and flashing back to the historical setting).
fuck never heard that
>>
what's so good about it?

it's really overrated with a dumb ending. did they suddenly lose jurisdiction after witnessing a murder and knowledge of rape just because it's chinatown?
>>
>>63496253
He meant

BWREEEEEEEEE
BWREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuapDq9zrfA
>>
>>63498778
>according to Bill Goldman, Polanski almost fucked up the movie with a weird, avaunt garde musical score
lolwut?
The original score was by Phillip Lambro
It was rejected for sounding too old fashioned
Its the music heard on the trailer
It was issued as an album a few years ago titled Los Angeles 1937
>>
>>63498817
>did they suddenly lose jurisdiction after witnessing a murder and knowledge of rape just because it's chinatown?
>jurisdiction
they were private detectives you moron
>>
>>63498817
>the guy literally had the entire los angeles municipality in his back pocket
>jake couldn't solve regular crime in chinatown with the apathy and corruption in it

its not complicated
>>
>>63498458
>was chinatown just a product of the screenwriter

Chinatown's script is considered one of the best of all time and is continuously used throughout the industry as an example of what to do when writing a script.
>>
>>63498706
Do you have a point in there?
>>
>>63498868
there were cops there too you tard. it's just as silly as saying Martin Luther King drive? welp we can go home now
>>
>>63498918
which ignores the fact that the director heavily rewrote it
Townes reputation is really over rated
>>
>>63498927
it wasn't strictly the script
>>
>>63498458
He had to pretend he's not a pedo
This effected his work greatly
cunny is life
cunny is love
>>
>>63498817
this, so much this. i mean, matthew broderick and john landis were waaayy more powerful and wealthy than the man who controlled the entire water supply of los angeles and they were locked up for good for much less!!
>>
>>63498932
as far as the cops are aware Hollis was killed by Evelyn
>>
>>63498965
1) my original post didn't even say that
2) mentioning that the script was changed along the way (yeah, who knew this ever happened) doesn't mean that 'the script' is bad. 'script' doesn't refer to the first draft, asswipe
>>
>>63499017
the films success comes from more than just the script
Polanski contributed to it
>>
>>63498688
>>63498706
>>63498939
>>63498965
what do you have against towne? is that you, roman?
>>
>>63498842
>lol why are you quoting something from a book written by someone who knew the people involved?

s-sorry
>>
>>63499037
We are in agreement, friend
>>
>>63496253
Too many chinks, not worth the resources or emotional investment to care about anything that happens around so many nonwhites
>>
>>63498939
I'm not discrediting Polanski or anything. He could be completely responsible for why the script is so good for all I know. I was just talking about the script's legacy.
>>
>>63499067
listen to the score
>>
File: Defecating-subway-boy.jpg (54 KB, 440x589) Image search: [Google]
Defecating-subway-boy.jpg
54 KB, 440x589
When will china do a remake and call it whiteboitown
>forget it Jackie, it's a civilized society..you won't understand
>>
>>63499037
I don't think anyone in this thread has really disputed that.

Polanski also let Nicholson rewrite his dialogue using his own speaking style after himself rewriting the last scene in the film the night before shooting it. People aren't giving Nicholson credit for being a GOAT screenwriter because of that, though.
>>
>>63499118
I don't care enough, and your sperging out about this is unrelated to the point I was originally making.
>>
>>63496253
I love the chinaman joke when he meets Faye dunaway laugh every time.
>>
>>63496253
Why not just kill Cross when no one is looking?
Since they're the police, they just have to say they have no leads and leave it at that.
>>
>you will never fuck your daughter then the incest baby
y live
>>
File: hqdefault[3].jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[3].jpg
9 KB, 480x360
Forget it Charlie, it's Vaginatown.
>>
>>63499263
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IBZocFkXGY
>>
>>63499234
Gittes isn't police
he is a PI
>>
>>63496253
LIVING AND DIYING
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.