[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
True Detective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
Was the second season underrated?
The atmosphere was still great.
Colin Farrell's acting was pretty good and Vaughn's acting was definitely better than everyone likes to admit.
That lynchian dream sequence was a high point. The orgy scene was good too, it reminded me a lot of EWS.
>>
File: 1440279298105.jpg (48 KB, 283x316) Image search: [Google]
1440279298105.jpg
48 KB, 283x316
>>63484008
So every time a comedian takes a serious flick and he is mediocre we should applaud him?
>>
File: pissed muhself.png (88 KB, 269x262) Image search: [Google]
pissed muhself.png
88 KB, 269x262
I liked it better as a whole than the first season but the high points in s1 were stronger. The inconsistent directing didn't help it tho.
>>
Yes, S2 was fantastic.

Plebs didn't care for it, of course.
>>
>>63484070
No. But everyone likes to meme that his acting was terrible.
>>
>>63484008
The thing is, everyone compare it with season 1, thats why everyone says its shit.
Its like :
>NO RUST ? OMG FUCK THIS SHIT RUST WAS LITERALLY ME, INTELIGENT, NIHILISTIC AND WITH A WICKED SENSE OF HUMOR.
>>
>>63484283
Truth
>>
>>63484097

Have you rewatched S1 since you've seen 2? 'Cause I did and S1 is just a lot more artfully done.
>>
>>63484283
I like S1 better because of the Marty/Rust interaction, it was really well done how they balance and complete each other while still having their own flaws. I still think S2 is great though.
>>
I enjoyed it on reflection and thought it stands up fairly in its own right. I still prefer the first series, and I think the pacing was a bit better and it wasn't as elaborate or mixed up, but even that at the time of watching was somewhat up and down.

It's one of those shows that is a fairly different and improved experience if you watch them all within a short space of time as opposed to having to wait a week between each episode, and it's not unt the end that you can really reflect on the whole thing or even the episodes in their own right.
>>
>>63484344
>more artfully done.
What does that even mean? S2 was meant to be more understated.
>>
Looking at it as a whole, Frank was definitely one of the most human characters I've seen in any medium. He was complex to the point where getting a handle on him was difficult.

Vaughn's performance was too slow burn and he had by far the worst dialogue. He went from awkward in the first half to great in the second half.

>Guess I was wrong. It WAS today.

Strangely, I believed him more as a half-crazy bruiser than as a con man.
>>
File: true vince.jpg (48 KB, 376x490) Image search: [Google]
true vince.jpg
48 KB, 376x490
>Overrated? Underrated? These concepts don't exist in my world. I'm X-rated every god damn day of my life.
>>
>>63484642
That's because he only thought he was a smart, eloquent con-man white collar gangster, he was actually just a blue collar guy through and through. That's why all of his dialogue sounds obscured to ridiculous, he thinks he's super smart, so he tries to talk that way.

Christ its like none of you have actually seen a noir movie before, they're chock full of ridiculous dialogue like that, spouted by gangsters who think they are smart.
>>
File: td mains.jpg (53 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
td mains.jpg
53 KB, 680x478
Second season was underrated. Not perfect, but nowhere near bad. I'd rate it a 7/10.

That said, though it's not the best, it's one of my favorite seasons of television ever simply because I loved the four mains so much.

I just... felt for them. They all had their pain and it killed them in different ways.

Just four lonely failures trying to fight the darkness.

And they lose, because there was no other way it was going to end. But there are those little bright spots, those glimmers of hope that they leave behind.

>>63484739
Speaking of which, we also got the best meme in years.
>>
>>63484801
Yeah, that was what I meant. I just phrased it badly.

Though I don't think stylized dialogue works well on TV. An eight-episode run is different from two hours in a theater. The audience has different expectations.

All of which is because TV is fundamentally a retarded medium.
>>
>>63484008
The second season is unequivocally better than the first.

Velcro > Rust
>>
I loved season 1 and I thought season 2 was dog shit

It was a fine cop drama, but in terms of a continuation of True Detective it was terrible. Honestly the only people I've encountered who defend it, including real life, are people here who always spout "pleb!" as their only defense
>>
>>63485040
Literally end yourself, hipster.
>>
File: 1443118092481.jpg (58 KB, 640x535) Image search: [Google]
1443118092481.jpg
58 KB, 640x535
>>63485185
>>
>>63484283
why is it that the so-called patricians are the dumbest, most fucking banal people ever?

literally no one has expressed this sentiment.
>>
File: vince-vaughn-11.jpg (380 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
vince-vaughn-11.jpg
380 KB, 1600x1200
>>63484739
The cosmos is choke-full of unseen forces. To engage with this vision is to become one with it. Spacetime is a constant and I'm here to stay.
>>
>>63484939
Underrated, not shit by any means. I have strong feelings about it as a whole. I loved the super hardboiled ultra noir world. It's easy to say "there should have been less main characters", but every time I try to whittle it down, I can't , because at the end of the day I thought all of them where well done in their own way and I can never decide who I like the most out of Frank, Ray or Woodrugh, but its definitely one of those three.

Is the first season better? Sure, no one's denying that, the first season had a much tighter focus and direction and benefited greatly from having one director the whole run. But I try not to compare the two.
>>
>>63485110
It's hard to explain. I feel like each season is it's own take on a different fragment of the hardboiled/noir genre. Whereas the first season had the weird tales / occult Southern Gothic angle, this season was more of a straight up urban tale. Instead of the Yellow King as the cosmic horror, we had the City of Vinci, where all the power in California lay.
>>
>>63484008
it was a major letdown for me. the acting was okay, Farrel a highlight and really good in certain sequences. the directing and cinematography was broadcast tv shit and not up to par with the first season. the biggest folly was in the writing. Pizzolatto did a piss poor job at trying to create and ensemble neo-noir. his quirky nonsensical dialogue failed him this time around. there was a good story to be had in season two but it wasn't the one depicted. my two cents.
>>
>>63485989
This is a much better response than this board deserves.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.