[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The leftovers is without a doubt series of the year, discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13
File: The-Leftovers.jpg (684 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
The-Leftovers.jpg
684 KB, 3000x2000
The leftovers is without a doubt series of the year, discuss
>>
You spelt it wrong, its is called The Affair.
>>
I finished the first season the other day, but I fear continuing, because it sounds like the supernatural/religious elements are taking over. The ambiguity and nihilism is perfect. I love just watching how fucked up people with the event looming over them at all times. It doesn't need anymore weird shit to happen to be interesting.
>>
>>63478692
Yeah absolutely you're right it is. But what was the best episode? International Assassin, right? Or No Room at the Inn?
>>
is this a forced meme? I keep seeing this thread for like 2 weeks now, I am highly skeptical. Having never seen this show, is 4chan just keking me again?

Surely it isn't better than Fargo.
>>
>>63478804
Didnt even know this was a thing, it's way better than fargo.
>oh its an ufo lel
fucking trash
>>
>>63478791
Best episode is S1 episode 9
>>
>>63478786
Season 2 has more mysticism for sure but nothing overtly supernatural. Yes there's a whole purgatory episode but you're not actually sure if it's actually purgatory or the hallucinations of a crazy guy. Also they have a whole episode based on scientific explanations to the departure and it's one of the best episodes of the season.

Overall you'd be missing out to skip it. It's an incredible season
>>
>>63478921
>Also they have a whole episode based on scientific explanations to the departure

Was that before or after the "scientists" start talking about the demon asriel?
>>
>>63478877
>not S1E3
>being this pleb
>>
>>63478804
fargo and leftovers are having a little tardfight over "best of the year" because there hasn't been anything decent this year.
>>
>>63478996
mattisodes are a shit.

>everything keeps shitting on him but he keeps smiling!! SUCH DEEP!! SUCH HUMAN!!
>>
>>63478692

the affair is getting close to all time GOAT list territory desu

leftovers is pretty forgettable, season 1 was better
>>
>>63478975
A little of both, yeah that one scientist ends up being about azreal but the whole new questionnaire with those specific questions and them talking about that new algorithm invented by the Japanese was all legit
>>
>>63478791
International assassin, lenses and I live here now confirmed GOAT episodes of season 2
>>
>>63479075
>season 1 was better
no it wasnt you pleb, season 2 does a much better job at showing the effect of the depature on the whole world instead of just his neighbourhood
>>
File: groovy.jpg (156 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
groovy.jpg
156 KB, 658x370
>>63478692
That's cute, but drama isn't objectively better than comedy.
>>
Season 1 of this show was full of cunty cunt faced cunts and pointless mysticism. That's why I didn't feel the need to watch season 2.

But since I see people talking about it non-stop I'll give season 2 a chance. I highly doubt it is better than season 2 of Fargo though.

Fargo is so well shot, it's such a smooth show.
>>
>>63479248
Lol go back to the 80s grandpa, ash vs evil dead was allright but not even close to series of the year
>>
File: lens.jpg (95 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
lens.jpg
95 KB, 960x540
>>63478692
This was the best acted scene I've watched all year. An absolutely fantastic exchange in an episode that was already 10/10.

S1 had three episodes that were in a different league to the rest, but at least half of S2 was fucking brilliant. Lens and International Assassin were probably the best, but I think Off Ramp (the Laurie episode) is underrated here.
>>
>>63479198
>season 2 spent a lot more effort forcing the idea that people still care this deeply about 1 in 50 people disappearing.

fixed that
>>
>>63479330
It's the series of the year and Bruce Campbell is the most enjoyable actor on tv right now.
>>
>>63479118
So how retarded are you?
>>
>>63479423
Like they wouldnt, if everyone in the world either lost someone or knew of somone that had lost somone that would have effected the world immensely

just look at 9/11, people still fucking care about that shit and there werent even that many
>>
>>63479464
Elaborate
>>
>>63479495
People cared deeply about that because there was a huge amount of footage of two super-skyscrapers being demolished by 3 hijacked commercial airliners.

The images were powerful and evocative no matter what your personal opinions were.

9/11 is still pretty big today because the media had so much footage they could air about it. As media exposure is the only way an event remains in the common mind for extended periods. All anyone would have in leftovers is senate hearing footage, which is proven to cause most people to just fall asleep.

In the leftovers, 1 in 50 people just vanished instantaneously. They didn't even leave their clothes. They haven't even shown footage of it happening, implying everyone vanished off camera, somehow. How people would process such an event would be entirely personal, as there would be no "face" to put upon the event. So in the end, the people directly affected would, on average, process the loss the same way they'd process any senseless death, because they'd have no other way to process it.
>>
I agree. No discussion needed.
>>
>>63479851
asuming 1 in a 50 people dissapeared and not one caught it on film is fucking ridiculous, it might not have been shown in the series casue its got nothing to do with the plot what so ever doesnt mean it didnt happend
>>
>>63480147
>the plot
there is no plot.
>>
100% agree if HBO doesn't renew its a travesty
>>
The people who say this of The Affair are GOAT series are joking right? ... right??
>>
>>63480168
>I'm an idiot

Please explain how there's no plot
>>
>>63480227
whats ur series of the year then u nerd?
>>
>>63480168
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>63480227
I know nothing about the affair but leftovers is my series of the year
>>
Does the show actually say that nobody in Jarden had relatives outside of their town that departed? Because if not then it's fucking bullshit that Meg was telling those park rangers that Jarden couldn't be sad over the departure.
>>
>>63478692
stop
>>
>>63478804
1 guy really likes Leftovers. His autism is making him post numerous threads a day.
>>
>>63480293
No they clearly stated in the last episoded that people didnt notice the departure before they started getting the calls so no one there got departed but obviously their family other places did
>>
>>63480147
That's the point dude. Only people who were unobserved disappeared. Everyone who someone wasn't looking in that moment disappeared. Think about every single disappearance. No one who disappeared was being looked at
>>
>>63480322
fun fact: damon lindelof posts on /tv/. A lot.

So everyone say hi to damon lindelof, the OP of this thread.
>>
>>63479145
you're using GOAT wrong there
>>
>>63480237
its entirely character drama
>>
>>63480485
I know, but I was too lazy to fix it by the time I finished the sentence. The meaning was understood
>>
>>63480434
Which is one of the first things people should've realized about the event. As someone would have noticed that no one visible on a security camera or webcam or camera phone vanished, and those are fucking ubiquitous in some areas.
>>
>>63480434
What about the girl Kevin was boning >>63480541
But that doesn't mean there's not a plot you dumbass just bc they're not on some epic journey with a tangible end point doesn't mean a journey doesn't take place. You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>63480591
Rewatch the scene. She was looking at him, he wasn't looking at her
>>
>>63480628
ONE WOULD THINK HAVING ONE'S PENIS INSIDE A WET CUNT WOULD CONSTITUTE OBSERVATION ON SOME LEVEL
>>
>>63478791

I really enjoyed IA *as an episode* but I think it was a bad idea for the series as a whole. The return in the next episode was a worse idea still.

The events of the finale didn't quite jibe for me, either. Not a huge fan of Veggie Wife waking up. And there should have been a literal bloodbath when they stormed the bridge, I don't understand why a bomb hoax suddenly makes that possible without a massive slaughter. You might say we already saw the effects, as the town is trashed, but Meg is shown as *not in custody*. National Guard, at a minimum, will have been inbound the second there's a bomb threat and it's not like they're going to turn around and go home if someone hops on dispatch to say "Oh by the way, no bomb, just massive rioting". So the suggestion is that the GR were able to bust Meg out of custody - remember, she was arrested before the bomb hoax was announced, a full hour before they storm the bridge. No friggin' way.
>>
>>63478692
Is that the guy who played John Hancock in John Adams?
>>
>>63480628
I mean I guess that's possible and would be an interesting theory to expand on next season, but the fact that no one has mentioned that no one was able to catch it on film or something makes me think that it happened I mean that's a pretty huge piece of evidence that wouldn't go unnoticed. I feel like that would cause people to go crazy trying to never let their loved ones out of their sight
>>
>>63480591
Just because there are storylines that span multiple episodes does not mean there is a unifying plot.

The show is just whatever random bullshit lindelof shits onto a page. Well, the second season at least. Lindelof had minimal contribution to the first season.
>>
>>63480673
It has to be visual observation.
>>
>>63480434
>>63480574

I'm reasonably sure that we only see disappearances from people who aren't being observed because they've consciously chosen never to show someone disappearing.

It's reasonable enough to suppose that if everyone who disappeared was unobserved, the characters would be aware of that fact and would mention it in discussions. The fact that they haven't suggests that it's not true.
>>
im feeling like a retard atm, could someone explain how we know no one got captured on film departuting?
>>
>>63480720
Which means we're in the lindelof wheelhouse of adding stupid rules.
>>
>>63480792

We don't know that. Someone is trying to make the case that it must be so because the show has never depicted it. Which is a bit of a reach.
>>
>>63480714
The unifying plot is overcoming grief. I don't understand why everyone has a hate boner for lindelof. If you're still butt hurt over lost you need to reevaluate your life
>>
>>63480784
The fact "DID YOU SEE IT HAPPEN" is not a question being asked of all those being questioned kinda STRONGLY indicates people have made no connection to whether or not the departed were observed during the departeneing.
>>
>>63480827
This is lindelof we're talking about. I don't think it's that big of a stretch.
>>
>>63480827
That was what i was thinking, casue sure it might have happend but what the fuck does that ever have to do with the plot? we dont need to see anyone departure on film to belive it cause its a fucking serie
>>
>>63480867
>I don't understand why everyone has a hate boner for lindelof

Let me copypaste his IMDB for you.

Every single project he's been on has been centered around some massive obvious hook, that lindelof will then try to pretend doesn't matter so he can put on some character drama between a collection of flat stock characters.

He is the worst type of hack.
>>
>>63480900
Because if 1 in 50 people vanished, and there was footage of it, people would be studying the fuck out of it.
>>
>Damon Lindelof

Just stop.
>>
>>63480994
sure but if people really just disappeared out of nowhere what evidence would you expect out of a film from it?

they just disappeared, you cant explain where to or what from just by a film from it
>>
>>63481027
>My "Opinions" are derived from the adhearance to trendy social media memes
>I have no ability to judge the quality of art on my own.
>>
>>63480942
I'm assuming you mean the departure is this hook. Because you're absolutely right about that not mattering at least why it happened doesn't matter. It's just a premise for the drama. And it's an excellent character drama because of that. I feel like you're either extremely autistic or lindelof fucked your bitch
>>
>>63480873

No, I don't think so. I think that's easily explained by the writers' not wanting even to have a character describe the process.

It would be the simplest thing in the world for them to show some CCTV footage of a disappearance or whatever. That they haven't can be explained either by the fact that it didn't happen or the fact that they are deliberately avoiding showing it happen.

Since one of the characters we follow was literally employed by the Government to investigate the disappearance, it makes no sense to suggest that the former is the case, but we simply happen never to have heard a character mention it (or that nobody has realised it). I just find that way too implausible.
>>
So is this actually good like Deadwood, Mad Men, The Wire and The Sopranos or "meme" good like Breaking Bad, Fargo, True Detective, Justified, Hannibal, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire, Game Of Thrones etc that's actually pretty bad.
>>
>>63481253
>True Detective
>bad

Opinion discarded
>>
>>63481165
So, what you're saying is, this is just one more glaring hole in the worldbuiding that is being ignored because of contrivance?

Sounds about right for lindelof.
>>
File: 7687687.webm (2 MB, 1280x716) Image search: [Google]
7687687.webm
2 MB, 1280x716
>>63481253
>The Wire and The Sopranos
>not meme good
>>
>>63481314
The first 3 episodes of season 1 were effective at creating the illusion of potential quality. Everything after that is trash. The exact moment the show fell to pieces completely was the long take at the end of episode 4.
>>
>>63481253

Somewhere in between

I agree that it's series of the year. Not much competition though.
>>
I really enjoyed the first season. I have DVRd the entire 2nd season but haven't watched an episode yet. I just heard that retarded new intro and it really turned me off. Please tell me the 2nd season doesn't suck.
>>
>>63481338
>this salty ass nigga again
We get it lindelof raped your mom

Just because it's not specifically addressed doesn't mean it's a hole in the world building. Maybe he just assumed that we were intelligent enough to assume it had to have happened somewhere or it would have been mentioned, which you are obviously not.
>>
File: 12312312.png (13 KB, 364x143) Image search: [Google]
12312312.png
13 KB, 364x143
LOL, sure kek
>>
>>63478692
Not watching any Lindelof click bait show
>>
>Watching a show titled: the leftovers
Yeah cool dude it's all the pieces nobody wanted scooped out of a bowl, reheated and dumped on our television screens.
>Watching any media with the involvement of Lindelof
How can people be this dumb when he has fucked up so badly time and time again.
>>
>>63481451
It's really good, check it out skip the intro if you are that much of a bitch
>>
>>63481165

Didn't a girl disappear while Kevin was fucking her?
>>
>>63481462
If they're going for realistic depictions of how people would deal with this shit, then, yea, its a massive hole.

But its not the only hole.
>>
>>63481602
How is it a massive hole.

Please explain because I don't see it
>>
>>63481519
There are people who haven't learned that lindelof is a hack. Since they haven't learned yet, its not like they're suddenly going to realize it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoryaJqzOhU
>>
>>63481630
Because they had an episode with scientists running around trying to explain it and none of them even address the "observation" thing.

Furthermore if no one on any sort of camera or anyone being watched departed, that would be one of the first questions on the insurance questionnaire.

I mean, I've explained this already, but hey, you're on 4chan, you like reading/seeing the same things over and over.
>>
People saying this "no one departed who was being looked at" is just making bullshit up. We have no idea if that's true or not. Jill and Tommy were both in a circle holding hands with people who departed. They'd have picked up those others in their peripheral vision or someone else in the circle would have.

Also, complaining how they're "totally ignoring it" is baseless and stupid. It happened 3 (now 4) years ago. Unless it served a purpose for one of the characters to be looking at CCTV footage of the date, there's no reason to show it just to show it. Realistically, if a Season 3+ is made, we might get more flashbacks to the departure and maybe see it from different perspectives / follow a character who studies the actual disappearance and not just concludes whether people deserve benefits or not.
>>
>>63481525
Buddy that intro is cringe worthy. Especially after how great the first seasons was.
>>
>>63481685
>that would be one of the questions
We didn't see Nora ask every fucking question, dumbass.
>>
>>63479005
So far the best anything this year is probably One Punch Man.
>>
>>63481753
Yes? And?
>>
>>63481774
Lmao I had to google it and it turned out to be fucking anime.
AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM
>>
>>63481805
It's been that bad of a year for television.
>>
>>63481805
I don't know what to tell you anon.
>>
>>63481685
Wait I'm confused I agree with this anon>>63480696 there had to have been someone disappear on film somewhere. I feel like we're trying to make to same point.
>>
>>63481405
>go to verify
>s01e04 is missing

... huh.
>>
>>63481857
The problem is the writers have stated they'll never show it or have any human see it.

So if they continue, its going to be a lindelof brand hole.
>>
>>63481732
I mean Yeah but it shouldn't stop you from watching the show
>>
>>63481405

You wanna know how I know your opinion is contrived? There are only eight episodes in the damn series. The first three episodes didn't "create the illusion" of quality (or even more laughably, of "potential quality") they were gripping television, plain and simple.

Basically, you're trying way, way too hard and your fedora is not so much showing as blocking the view entirely. The standard account, that the last three episodes flagged and the ending felt tacked-on, should be enough for you. You don't seem equipped to manage more complex views without people laughing at you.
>>
>>63481905
considering its the writers basically smugly telling the audience they'll never develop the show's hook, it is a decent reason to avoid the show.
>>
>>63481805
I hope you check it out, if you're exhausted from tv shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3OOr96kGdE
>>
>>63481901
Or it's just not important to the show so why would they bother elaborating?
>>
>>63481910
>there's only 8 episodes

... so which two did you erase from your memory/HDD? Because apparantly s01e04 was so bad I deleted it.
>>
>>63481905
Oh it didn't stop me. I just heard it and thought the worst.
>>
>>63481964
Because they made it important by having insurance agencies and scientists investigating departures.
>>
>>63481753
>We didn't see Nora ask every fucking question

Right. We didn't see her asking how they felt about everybody singing Puttin' On The Ritz in Portuguese just before they disappeared, so we have to assume it's possible they did.
>>
>>63478692
That's a weird way to spell Fargo
>>
>>63481943
Considering they've outright said that it will never be explained and that the reason for the departure is not the point of the show I would say you're an idiot
>>
>>63478786
S1 superfan here.

I agree with you. It was literally perfect. I have seen s2 3 times now and it's a good season, but it's definitely lacking whatever spark of nihilism that made s1 so god tier.

My s2 qualms-

- epic dark intro replaced by yodeling hipster chick and very on-the-nose lyrics aimed at quieting down the plebs

- GR gets retconned from Absurdism to "silent and scary"

- S1 really, really hurt. It's part of what I love about it. It rips me fucking open on multiple occasions. S2 didn't make me shed a single tear. The tone of s1 is gone, watered down as a ratings-grab, source decay, whatever you need to call it.

- Jill is woefully underutilized. I thought for sure after seeing how little her character had done that she'd get a standalone ep but it never happened. S2 shelved Jill. Such a waste.

- The Meg episode did a great job of tying up loose ends but a terrible job of convincing me that where we left off with Meg in s1 somehow brought us to where she is in s2 emotionally. It's a huge leap that she became a bad guy. She was never a bad guy.
>>
>>63481910
>The first three episodes didn't "create the illusion" of quality (or even more laughably, of "potential quality") they were gripping television, plain and simple.
But all of the intrigue and tension were predicated on the benefit of the doubt the whole hadn't squandered at that point. The assumption that everything you were watching was in service of something other than a path right to the trash heap. The episodes have zero value in retrospect outside of the performances and technical filmmaking, once you know how empty and stupid the show ends up being. It seemed good at that point because they hadn't revealed enough of their hand for you to be able to know otherwise.
>Basically, you're trying way, way too hard and your fedora is not so much showing as blocking the view entirely.
This is a curious part of your post when True Detective season 1 is just about the most fedoracore television show imaginable. It is the IMDB sensibilities distilled into 8 episodes, from the performances, to the cinematography, to the subject matter both literal and thematic, the music, the tone. The entire thing is fedora sensibility. It is IMDB/Fedora: The Show in the same was that Prisoners is IMDB/Fedora: the movie.
>>
>>63479198
S1 is far superior and the plot much tighter than S2. FAR SUPERIOR.
>>
>>63482017
And the fact that they're not all investigating why only unobserved people disappeared shows you that it had to have happened so that fact that the audience doesn't get to see it is irrelevant.
>>
>>63482111
>zero value in retrospect outside of the performances and technical filmmaking

Yeah I stopped reading here, bro. "They have zero value apart from being excellent".

Fuck off, son. Ain't nobody ever gonna impressed that you didn't like something. Find a new schtick.
>>
>>63482160
According to the writers.

And "forced" writing is the show's biggest flaw, and everything is built around that flaw.
>>
>>63482042
Not explaining the departure isn't the same as having people actually investigating it the way it would be investigated.

I can understand how the distinction would confuse one who's mind has been rotted by slurping up lindelof cum.
>>
>>63482194
>according to the writers
Who else would it be according to?

All you've done is change the argument and have yet to back up a single one of your criticisms
>>
>>63482177
Performances and filmmaking should be in service to something. Otherwise its just people jerking off.
>>
>>63482177
A show can have 10/10 performances, 10/10 cinematography, 10/10 set design, soundtrack, costumes, editing and what have you and still be ultimately mediocre.

Shows with great acting and movie level "prestige" productions are 10 a penny now. You should raise your standards and look beyond the production values.
>>
>>63482265
No, my core criticism is the writing is absurdly contrived and forced. The hole about observed departures is just another example of that.

Because the writers don't want to address it, they're forcing it to be a non-issue... and braindead simpletons like yourself are happily slurping it up.
>>
>>63482226
I don't see how what you just said refutes a single point of my argument
>>
>>63482323
Yes, we've already established you're not exactly right in the head.
>>
>>63482314
>>63482355
And you still have yet to back up anything you've said. How specifically is it contrived or forced? How specifically is the observed departures thing a hole? And don't reference this post >>63482017 because I've already refuted that here>>63482160
>>
>>63482269
>Performances and filmmaking should be in service to something.

They are, bro. They're in service to entertainment.

>>63482299
>A show can have 10/10 performances, 10/10 cinematography, 10/10 set design, soundtrack, costumes, editing and what have you and still be ultimately mediocre.

No, it can't. Don't be stupid.

And acting isn't "production values".
>>
There are zero reasonable arguments against the show.

3 years after a horrifying and unexplained event would in fact be ripe with people suffering PTSD and delusions.

The writing is superb. Characters are distinct and don't all sound alike (Sorkin Syndrome). 80% of the dialogue is rich with subtext, ie, not everything they're saying is in the words, but the intent.
>>
>>63482487

You're clearly not going to get anything out of him other than "Something something Lindelof bad". Don't waste your time.
>>
>>63482487
>how is the writing forced?
>and don't you go referencin the examples of forced writing!!

... Like I said, lindelof cum related brain rot.
>>
>>63482540
Straight up. Don't feed the trolls. If you watch the series on a weekly basis, you have to know that the haters are full of shit. They either haven't watched it or they love it and they're just fuckinf with you. Nobody hate watches things. Nobody. When you dislike a series, you stop, like all the intelligent people did when Andrea died on TWD.
>>
>>63482563
Except that plenty of people did observe departures. It didn't happen behind everyone's back. The kid in the parking lot was holding his dad's hand. Kevin was inside of a chick when she poofed.
>>
>>63482537
Mostly because the show doesn't actually do anything. its pretty to look at, its got some scenes, actors don't give offensive performances.

It's like trying to criticize a sitcom that made no promises to be funny.
>>
>>63482490
>No, it can't. Don't be stupid.
It absolutely can. So if you take a completely uninspired script with absolutely nothing to say but throw a bunch of money at the screen by hiring some great actors and hollywood cinematographers it's all of a sudden a show with artistic merit? It is misdirection pure and simple. You can enjoy the performances and technical elements on their own terms but those great aspects alone don't make something "great".

>They are, bro. They're in service to entertainment.
Entertainment should be in service of something else otherwise it may as well just be a capeshit video game or a masturbation session. You should hold television to a higher standards than merely resembling a "quality" movie.
>>
>>63482674
Ah, you're new to the thread.

One of your fellow fans already covered that at >>63480720
>>
>>63482623
I have about 40 hours a week where I can just watch shit. So I watch basically everything. So your "everyone that doesn't like it doesn't watch it" fallacy is laughable.
>>
>>63482778
Not gonna lie that sounds like a sad existence, find a constructive hobby
>>
>>63482832
All existence is sad. And hey, getting paid by the hour to watch television and movies isn't the worst gig.
>>
>>63482778
Considering the thousands of hours of patrician film and tv available, watching something you hate makes you a faggot.
>>
>>63482977
I enjoy hating it. I laughed for a solid half hour at the end of 207. The only episode that had literally nothing of worth this season was 209.
>>
>>63482709
>So if you take a completely uninspired script with absolutely nothing to say but throw a bunch of money at the screen by hiring some great actors and hollywood cinematographers it's all of a sudden a show with artistic merit?

No, but if you take an eight-episode run where the first five episodes are edge-of-the-seat stuff and then the quality drops a bit, it's moronic to suggest that the first five episodes are retrospectively made less good by the latter three.

>Entertainment should be in service of something else

Yeah I don't want to get philosophical but you remind me of people who make these super serious distinctions between "films" and "movies" and will actually like fight about whether eg Fight Club is a "film" or merely a "movie". People go to art galleries for the same reason they go to the circus. It's just different forms of entertainment. There isn't some like Higher Artistic Plane where 'true art' goes to hang out while merely entertaining things are forever trapped below. A tv spot for chicken soup is art, just as much as Guernica; it's just that one is really good and the other is shit. That's all.
>>
>>63482487
another example of forced writing is how meg was able to commit 50+ counts of kidnapping by hijacking an elementary school bus in broad daylight with zero repercussions beyond a stern talkin to by GR leadership. Also the entirety of 209, if you want to go there.
>>
>>63478786
>supernatural
What else has been supernatural besides the departures 4 years ago and Hotel Heaven? If anything, they're keeping it fairly low.
>>
>>63483027
>you're criticisizin mah show? you must have dat autism

great post
>>
>>63479313
I wasn't crazy about season 1 and almost gave up on Season 2 after the first episode that was bizarre. Every episode seemed to get better and better after that.
>>
>>63483112
>i don't have a substantive response? better call you a name

Better post still, teebeeaitch.
>>
people thinking season 1 wasn't just as brilliant as season 2 and only hopped onto the bandwagon this year after the critics stopped hating on Lindelof because of Lost are literally maymay vierwers
>>
File: matt-jamison-512x512.jpg (86 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
matt-jamison-512x512.jpg
86 KB, 512x512
So what was his deal? Why did he want to get his wife into the town? Why was her awakening given so little attention? Why didn't we get to see him face Murphy and show him his wife did wake up. Why didn't they tape her in case she'd go away again as proof? Why didn't they go to the hospital together the first thing they did just so they could get get her to speak for herself and determine why she's drifts away and what if she does it again? It was all very strange to me,
>>
File: tips.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>63478692
the only people that like this abortion are the dumbass who created it and the 413 people that watch it every week.

daily reminder that it has "girls" tier viewership.
>>
>>63478692
>lindelof
>best anything

maxmadthisisbait.m4v
>>
>>63478692
I hope you neckbeards voiced your desire for a season 3, but seeing how only "normies" have facebook or twitter, the show will be canceled and then you can bitch about how only shit shows get more than two seasons.
>>
>>63483376
>>63483407
>>63483420
plebs
>>
>>63483420
>the show will be canceled
good
then hbo can go back to creating good shows
>>
>>63483027
>it's moronic to suggest that the first five episodes are retrospectively made less good by the latter three.
The technical aspects and performances can still be appreciated but the show can lose all dramatic replay value once you know it's all ultimately just cliche silly crap, even if it was greatly intriguing the first time you watched it. Early Lost was exciting stuff the first time you watched it, but once you know that it's all just bullshit in service of nothing it loses any kind of dramatic value on a repeat watch. This is why a show like Breaking Bad is an empty cartoon with zero reason to go back to it and a show like The Sopranos only gets richer with each new viewing. True Detective is in the former category.

>Yeah I don't want to get philosophical but you remind me of people who make these super serious distinctions between "films" and "movies" and will actually like fight about whether eg Fight Club is a "film" or merely a "movie".....
I just flat out disagree on a fundamental level to the point that it's clear that you are my ideological enemy. Surface level "this is funny, this looks cool, I enjoy looking at this and seeing what happens" entertainment is akin to masturbation. I view media to be challenged and be pushed emotionally and intellectually not because it amuses me or makes me feel good. It is a pursuit of duty, not entertaimment. I want to be killed by art. Art is punching yourself in the jaw until your face is swollen and broken. This has no connection to masturbation. This is more akin to a monk's flagellation of holy devotion. Except there is no god and I instead answer to the realm of transcendental art.

Films and movies are a completely valid distinction to make.
>>
>>63483420
Well personally I loved both seasons and am debating whether I would even want a 3rd season. Ending the series here would be perfectly fine with me and it would stand as a great series.
>>
>>63483263
>people thinking season 1 wasn't just as brilliant as season 2

I really, really didn't enjoy the daughter's strand, or the wife's. I liked the Guilty Remnant concept, just really didn't like that character.

S2 featured way less of both of them, so I'm not surprised I enjoyed S2 more. I don't think it's about the quality of the show per se, just idiosyncracies of the respective seasons. They de-emphasised two characters I wasn't crazy about.

I do prefer the opening credits of S2, as well, though that's hardly of prime importance. I found the S1 sequence a little self-important.
>>
>>63483490
>it would stand as a great series
>great series
>great

'no'
>>
it's actually pretty great
>>
>>63479851
>As media exposure is the only way an event remains in the common mind for extended periods.
While we haven't seen footage we have seen that the media is saturated in the departure. Every anniversary gets a memorial roll of public figures that departed. A heated congressional committee formed to get answers and turned up nothing. A "departure industry" popped up preying on people's need for closure, and that advertises regularly.
> They haven't even shown footage of it happening, implying everyone vanished off camera, somehow.
We haven't seen it and when we've had a character's perspective on it they and the camera always looked away, but that doesn't imply that worldwide nothing was caught on camera, just that we're not being shown it.
>So in the end, the people directly affected would, on average, process the loss the same way they'd process any senseless death, because they'd have no other way to process it.
There's a difference between a "senseless" death and one that defies all laws of reality. We know that accidents, disease and violence happen because they're part of our world. Sudden disappearance into thin air does not.
>>
>>63483487
>The technical aspects and performances can still be appreciated but the show can lose all dramatic replay value once you know it's all ultimately just cliche silly crap

I don't know what you mean by "dramatic replay value". The scripts remain what they were, the performances remain what they were, the shots and the editing haven't been changed.

>This is why a show like Breaking Bad is an empty cartoon with zero reason to go back to it

Again, I disagree. The first two seasons will always be highly watchable. You're starting to sound as though there's like three things ever that you actually like.

>I just flat out disagree on a fundamental level to the point that it's clear that you are my ideological enemy.

OK. I don't have to do anything, do I? Peep Show will be on soon.

>I view media to be challenged and be pushed emotionally and intellectually not because it amuses me or makes me feel good.

No, it is EXACTLY because it makes you feel good. It may make you feel good in a different way, and for different reasons, than the uh, "masturbation" involved in watching eg Star Wars, but nevertheless...

>This is more akin to a monk's flagellation of holy devotion. Except there is no god and I instead answer to the realm of transcendental art.

Yah I mean it's like you're some kind of... well, I dunno, maybe some kind of hero or something? For watching all that stuff. Must... must feel pretty good, I'd think. I know it would to me.

>Films and movies are a completely valid distinction to make.

I KNEW IT

CALLED THAT SHIT BRO

CALLED IT

But seriously, I'm not making some positive case that the distinction can't be useful. It's like current within a particular lexicon, a particular community, and therefore conveys meaning within that community. I'm just saying the distinction isn't "real" in the same way the distinction between silent movies and talkies or black-and-white and colour movies, is real.
>>
File: 1147379.png (340 KB, 464x574) Image search: [Google]
1147379.png
340 KB, 464x574
>ctrl f
>The Knick
>'no matches'

Maybe it's better off that way desu
>>
>>63483368
I assumed he wanted to get her away from the scum of those people he's around. Snatching babies from a mother's arm shows how awful they are.
>>
>>63483913

Didn't he have like a magicky dream or something that the baby would die if she was outside Miracle too long? Think that might have been why.
>>
>>63483368
>Why did he want to get his wife into the town?
Because he had a vision that their unborn baby would die unless they were in the town.
>Why was her awakening given so little attention?
Time restraints - fear of cancellation. Same reasons why that other stuff didn't happen - yet.
>>
>>63483870
Its not getting marketed here and /tv/ hates it because it has one black character that is neither retarded or being hanged.
>>
>>63484618
>Its not getting marketed here
I visit Knick threads too, they're a little smaller than Leftovers threads largely do to the lack of people devoted to trolling soderbergh the way they do lindelof. /tv/ is generally not interested in premium cable dramas, unless it appeals to underage with lots of sex, violence and/or memes.
>>
>>63484732
>people are only pretending to hate lindelof

do you believe this or do you just not know what "trolling" means?
>>
File: aspergers-for-teachers-1-5-638.jpg (108 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
aspergers-for-teachers-1-5-638.jpg
108 KB, 638x479
>>63484842
Sorry I triggered you by not using the term as you do. Yes I'm sure people have it out for him personally after what he did to them in Lost. It's quite obvious they do, since they're so singularly focused on him. That doesn't mean the posts revolving around him aren't vapid bait circling the same drain of "it's so cliche" "it's never going to be explained" "you're up his ass" "lol shit taste" etc.
>>
i just watched the pilot after seeing this thread. boy what a bunch of clichéd, unrealistic bullshit
>>
>>63481642
Onions
>>
>Lindelof

Nope.

And what's this I'm hearing about some kind of purgatory in the finale?
>>
>>63485323
>unrealistic
>>
>>63478921
>Yes there's a whole purgatory episode but you're not actually sure if it's actually purgatory or the hallucinations of a crazy guy

He literally dies and then returns from the dead. How would he survive buried underground for hours if he was just hallucinating?
>>
>>63485438
>two strangers need flashlight from girl in the middle of the night
>sure, my dad should have one in his trunk
>dead dog in trunk
>they decide to burry the dog
>how people do not act, the series
>>
>>63485653
>He literally dies and then returns from the dead. How would he survive buried underground for hours if he was just hallucinating?

Yeah. MAD coincidence, too, that Virgil both shows up and is confirmed in the dream to not be returning because he drank the water.

I mean, you can maybe, maybe maybe squint enough to say it's all coincidence etc but the idea that it's ambiguous in any robust sense of the word is not really defensible. *Something* supernatural is almost certainly going on. I wish it weren't, but there you go.
>>
Carrie Coon and Regina King are my Leftoversfus
>>
>>63485802
... so how retarded are you?

You can put all of that firmly into the realm of "not supernatural" but kevin being aware magicalpedonigger shot himself, because, ya know, he was in the trailer, with his eyes open, when it happened, and dream logic (lindelof's favorite type) just fit everything together for him.
>>
>>63485928
>No Jill
>>
>>63485106
I love when normies try to call anyone who corrects their usage of a word autistic.

Sorry for triggering you by implying you were wrong about something.
>>
>>63485106
Do you realize how self-important and narcissistic it is to think the only reason anyone says anything negative is to make you mad and reply to them?
>>
>>63486300
Literally this. She is an 11/10 goddess whom I would gladly trade a kiss with for my life.
>>
>>63486250
>kevin being aware magicalpedonigger shot himself, because, ya know, he was in the trailer, with his eyes open, when it happened

Uh, no, he was passed out by then. So I think I'm significantly less retarded than you.
>>
>>63486621
>people are never aware of things when they're unconscious

... so I'm talking that as a "very" in response to my question.
>>
>>63486306

The meanings of words are fluid, especially neologisms and ESPECIALLY especially internet slang. Depending on context, someone can be "trolling" if they are attacking something they do not like, or they can be adopting an insincere position to elicit some response for their amusement.

So you didn't "correct" his usage, you demonstrated your ignorance of how language works. Kind of backfired, you might say.
>>
>>63486703
>language is fluid

You're a boat.
>>
>>63486682
>i called him retarded
>then i said kevin had his eyes open
>oh shit, he didn't
>shit, this is bad
>shit, i look really fucking dumb now
>maybe i'll just acknowledge the mistake and move on
>it's really not that big a deal, nobody's going to really care
>nah fuck it i'll move the goalposts and double down

You GO, man. Don't bring shame on your family by admitting to a mistake on the internet.
>>
>>63486728
>adjective
>noun

Yup, ignorance of language on FULL display now.
>>
>>63478692
No.
>>
>>63478692
This season achieved perfection desu
>>
>>63487159
You're a boaty individual.
>>
>>63487270

I see. I confess I'm unaware of the publicly-determined connotation of 'boaty'; what is it?
>>
>>63487112
I like how you're stuck trying to imply people are never aware of anything while unconscious.
>>
>>63483106
The Hotel is not confirmed as supernatural.
>>
>>63487328
language is fluid I can say it means whatever I want and you can't call me wrong because language is fluid. You boaty person you.
>>
>>63487112
I did screw that up. The fact he closed his eyes (and kept them closed) proves he was simply unconscious (and not even anesthesia unconscious) rather than dead. A mistake I made because I really wanted him to be dead.
>>
File: yon.jpg (17 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
yon.jpg
17 KB, 320x214
>damon lindelof
>>
>>63487336

I'm not stuck doing that, bro. I'm stuck explaining to you that everyone saw you say Kevin had his eyes open.

THEN, only AFTER I've extricated myself from that, I'll be stuck first of all telling you what 'special pleading' means, and then restating that the amended account is still in no way "ambiguous" by any robust definition of the term.

Finally, and this is getting speculative here, I'll most likely get stuck explaining to you that yes, it is indeed theoretically possible that nothing supernatural is occurring, just as I said in my first post on the matter, but that the strong balance of probability (remember the magic soil) favours an alternative explanation.
>>
>>63487328
"boaty" means "someone or something that uses the language is fluid argument when he gets called on using a word wrong."
>>
>>63487479
Dog, what you're doing is jumping all over a minor error so you can pretend to have defeated the larger argument.
>>
>>63487368
>I can say it means whatever I want and you can't call me wrong

Of course I can. 'Language is fluid' does not suggest that language is subjective; quite the reverse. The use theory of meaning as originally articulated by Wittgenstein in fact famously incorporated a round rejection of that concept (google 'private language argument').

It's true, that as in >>63487483, you can tell me what you mean by 'boaty' and I will then know that when you say 'boaty', that is what you mean. But you will really only be referring me to the alternatives you've offered in defining 'boaty' - the word won't have true meaning until it enters the public lexicon, and by that time, it will have become fluid, and may very well not mean what you initially said it did.
>>
>>63487564

No, dog, what I'm doing is explaining that the proposal that 1) Kevin was unconscious AND 2) Kevin was aware of the gunshot AND 3) Kevin understood the significance of the gunshot (ie, that Virgil killed himself) AND 4) Kevin's subconscious/whatever incorporated that notion into the dream is a heap big pile of assumptions that need to be made for the case to hold up. It's asking us to grant an awful lot of things we have no particular reason to suppose are true. It is, in short, special pleading.

Again, I'm not saying that it's unequivocal. It's just that 'equivocal' is both much less ambitious and much nearer the mark than 'ambiguous'. Ambiguity suggests that you wouldn't really know which way to bet. I certainly know which way I'd bet here (again again, remember the magic soil).
>>
>Kevin Garvey
>Garvey
>gravey
>grave
>Kevin cannot die

P O T T E R Y
I
N
D
E
L
O
F
>>
>>63487600
Nigger, if I was trolling right now, then you are giving me exactly what I would've wanted.

Trolling isn't simply "saying nasty things on the internet" because that's the only you've been able to derive from seeing it used, it's specifically seeking negative attention by posting things you know to be wrong. The root of the word isn't the mythological creature, but a type of fishing where you drag a line behind a moving boat to catch bottom feeders. Therefore, on the internet its fishing for response. The concept is older than you are.
>>
>>63485669
The twins are Jill's only friends outside of Aimee. Burying a dog is not unusual. Burying a deer would have been.
>>
>>63487841
>The root of the word isn't the mythological creature, but a type of fishing

Hmmm. That's interesting. So, you're suggesting, then, that the word *originally* meant a method of fishing, and that people then began to use it to mean something else, and that now, because of that fact, that other, new usage is one legitimate meaning of the word.

Well buddy I find that I really can't disagree with you there. Language, as you've so passionately demonstrated, is indeed both fluid and objective. It really seems like in your haste to appear superior, you've managed to argue yourself around to agreeing with me without even realising it. A good choice, I'd say. You live and breathe in the fluidity of language, pal. Don't be parochial by pretending all that shit stopped the second you learned to talk. It didn't.
>>
>>63487902
niggerfaggot
>>
>>63487902
Actually it has more to do with context. But if you want to ignore that to pretend you won an argument on the internet, more power to ya.
>>
>>63487716
>clean logic requires more assumptions than "HOLY SHIT ITS FUCKING MAGIC!!"

... huh.
>>
>>63488719
>Actually it has more to do with context.

Nah don't be a tease. More than what? Elaborate.
>>
>>63488803
Than "words don't have established meanings because I don't know them."
>>
>>63488750

Well, firstly, we are dealing with a fictional universe here. Supernatural happenings are very, very far from unknown and/or demonstrable within the realm of fictional universes.

Secondly, we're dealing with a fictional universe wherein 2% of the world's population simultaneously disappeared for no apparent reason. The idea that the cause of that is something supernatural is not the same as the proposition "Supernatural phenomena exist in the real world".

The only assumption necessary for the supernatural explanation in this case is "The writers wish to depict a universe in which the supernatural is real". From that, everything else follows. You need the writers to be asserting a very narrow and complex sequence of events which, while plausibly natural, are either not known to occur or known only to occur in rare circumstances. I'll say it again: That's special pleading.
>>
>>63488963

Oh, right. That wasn't what I was saying at all, though. If you follow the chain, you'll see me say
>>63486703
>Depending on context, someone can be "trolling" if they are attacking something they do not like, or they can be adopting an insincere position to elicit some response for their amusement.

So how 'bout that.

Now, I know you're not stupid, and because you're not stupid, I know you know your little potted history of the word 'trolling' does, in fact, demonstrate my point very clearly. Presumably you wish you'd noticed that. It would be far, far better for you to simply stop replying than to keep denying it, if you just don't have the stones to say "OK, fine" or such. I have a full case of beer and nothing on in the morning, I ain't a-gonna let it go. Be better for you if you did.
>>
>>63489006
Except for how there is strong rational basis for every event except the departening.

But lets just ignore that, because FUCKING MAGIC!!
>>
>>63489110
So what you're saying is in one single context, the same word can have two completely different meanings.

And you're willing to defend this argument indefinitely.

Have fun with that.
>>
>>63487716
Why does everyone seem to assume that Kevin needed to know Virgil was dead or not for him to show up in the hotel? If you operate on the assumption that it's all in his mind and there's nothing supernatural happening, then Virgil's status is irrelevant. He's the last person Kevin saw and the guy who is guiding Kevin on the quest to get rid of Patti. It makes perfect sense for his subconscious to throw Virgil into the mix as a guide. Or worst case scenario he's there by complete randomness.
>>
File: 1434149010790.jpg (7 KB, 167x144) Image search: [Google]
1434149010790.jpg
7 KB, 167x144
>>63486367
Of course, that never happens here, it can only be narcissism to think that it does.
>>
>>63489225
>strong rational basis

I'll say again: Plausibly natural, but either not know to occur or known only to occur in rare circumstances.

I'll also repeat: It is indeed possible that your interpretation is correct. You have failed to demonstrate that your interpretation deserves equal consideration, and I very much doubt that will change.

Really not much more I can do for you, bro. Keep your headcanon, I won't be giving a solitary. Probably not good for your blood pressure to be spazzing out over other people thinking maybe in a story with magic soil (hit me up with your strong rational basis for that, holmes) where 1/50th of the world just suddenly vanished, there's probably some supernatural elements.
>>
>>63489349
>only reason
>ever does
If you look really closely, you'll notice these are not the same thing.
>>
>>63489333
People have been desperately trying to force bullshit magical explanations into the show since it started.
>>
>>63489294

D'awww, he's pretending to be stupid in the hopes people won't realise how stupid he was being. That's so ironic, in the sense that word possessed before people started using it to mean 'coincidental'.

Hush now, son, no more replies for you. Only burning cheeks and a directionless sense of rage. Why do you do this to yourself? It ain't good for you, bro. It ain't good.
>>
>>63489430
My explanation references a number of factually and medium based phenomena such as dream logic, awareness while unconscious, integration of real world sounds/knowledge into dream logic, etc, etc, etc.

You have "IT CULD BE MAGIC THO!!"
>>
>>63489333

Yeah, that could happen, but it's quite the coincidence that Virgil gets thirsty and drinks the water, isn't it? Kinda weird that he'd do that, given that he's the one who told Kevin not to.

Again, could be natural. Probably isn't. All I'm saying. Dunno why there's such fierce pushback.
>>
>>63489529
Lets go back to one of your earlier posts then
>Depending on context, someone can be "trolling" if they are attacking something they do not like, or they can be adopting an insincere position to elicit some response for their amusement.

How is "posting on the internet" and "posting on the internet" multiple contexts?
>>
>>63489435
Tell it to the guy that said "only reason" chief.
>>
To be honest op, the only bard part of the show was the script, the actors, and the rubber dildo nightstick. I actually liked the premise and location. The actors were overdoing it though.
>>
PLZ POST OR DIRECT ME TO ALL THE JILL WEBMS

SPECIFICALLY WITHOUT BRA
>>
>>63489617
I said it was narcisism to think "making you mad" is "THE ONLY REASON" anyone ever posts things you don't like.

You then illiteracy'd that into me saying "people never post just to make people mad."
>>
>>63489560

See, what you're doing there is taking the argument that I made and presenting it as though it supports your argument. It doesn't.

You are quite correct that you referenced a number of either plausibly-real or commonly-supposed phenomena. A large number, all of which must be considered separately in order for your account to be held accurate.

And you are correct that "all I have" is "Maybe the writers are writing a fictional universe where the supernatural is real".

Where you go wrong is thinking that this makes your argument stronger than mine. It does not; it makes it much, much weaker. This is what's known as the parsimony principle and is best known in its formulation as Occam's Razor.

Bear in mind that, as I've warned you before, the standard outcome of "Was this supernatural?" when subjected to the Razor is different within fictional universes than it is in reality.

If you need some help here, I'm an atheist or agnostic or whatever who does not believe in paranormal phenomena and who was rooting for the show to keep things at the very least ambiguously naturalistic. I'm mildly disappointed that they either haven't or have done a piss-poor job of retaining the ambiguity.
>>
>>63484732
>>63483870
we keep good shows hidden

plebs jumped on left overs now that walking dead is off

knick will go the way of deadwood

its sad but it is nature
>>
>>63489597
>How is "posting on the internet" and "posting on the internet" multiple contexts?

Um, well you lured me back for one, very probably the last, but what the hey.

How is "Talking in real life" and "talking in real life" multiple contexts? And yet I'm pretty sure that 'gas' sometimes means, you know, a gas, and that it sometimes means a liquid, one you pump into your car to make the engine go. And I'm pretty sure that, while talking to people IRL, I have used that word in both of those contexts. Fuckin' WEIRD, amirite? MYSTERIES, man, MYSTERIES.
>>
I thought it would bother me that the supernatural is seemily becoming more overt as the series goes on, but the fact that it remains inscrutable means that our characters' situation hasn't really fundamentally changed. So I'm cool with it.
>>
>>63489792
Any one of the components of my interpretation alone is sufficient explanation, them working together creates a stronger explaination.

You have magic. Alhough, you do also have "because the writers might want it to be magic." Since "the writers forcing things" is basically the entire show to this point, I guess you do have the much stronger argument. For lindelof is a complete and total retard, so that is about on his level.

I guess I just want lindelof to stop being retarded so much I'm willing to ignore the simpler, dumber, far more likely explanation in favor of things that actually imply he has some understanding of anything beyond the exact color of the inside of his rectum.
>>
>>63490012
>Any one of the components of my interpretation alone is sufficient explanation

Nah bro. Kevin being aware of his surroundings while unconscious is fully separate from your dream-logic argument. Completely separate.

>>63490012
>You have magic. Alhough, you do also have "because the writers might want it to be magic." Since "the writers forcing things" is basically the entire show to this point, I guess you do have the much stronger argument. For lindelof is a complete and total retard, so that is about on his level.
>I guess I just want lindelof to stop being retarded so much I'm willing to ignore the simpler, dumber, far more likely explanation in favor of things that actually imply he has some understanding of anything beyond the exact color of the inside of his rectum.

Well jeeze I guess this is as close to a concession as I can hope for. Cool beans.
>>
>>63489908
The problem is your gas example had a large number of potential contexts in which the definition will change, and can often be confused for one or the other. For instance, chances are when someone says "i need gas" it doesn't mean "I need to have discomfort that only burps and farts can relieve."

But, on the internet, if yous say, "that nigga trollin," you're attempting to assert that one statement could have two completely different meanings.
>>
dude everyone just disappeared lmao
>>
>>63489997
until the bullet just kinda fell of kevin's back and he walked several miles with a bleeding through-and-through to the chest without much difficulty until he suddenly started bleeding again when he was looking for a bandaid... which was sufficient to keep him from being dead, maybe. As that ending scene (NGE ending, blasain baby being penpen) could easily go either way.
>>
>>63490083
>But, on the internet, if yous say, "that nigga trollin," you're attempting to assert that one statement could have two completely different meanings.

And it absolutely could. They could mean: That nigga consciously adoptin a spurious position so them niggas be trippin, yo, or it could mean: That nigga trippin, yo, he going hard in the paint on them bitches cause they be gettin him furious.

And that's about that, really. Certainly, people described as "anti-feminist Twitter trolls" etc are not in the classical sense adopting knowingly false positions in order to derive pleasure from the reaction. Many of them are advancing positions they sincerely hold in order to derive pleasure from the reaction. It just doesn't seem difficult to accept at all.
>>
>>63481253
Are you capable of forming your own opinion? You have time to shit post you have time to watch an episode or 2.
>>
>>63490247
The problem is the two meanings you're attempting to assert are equal have completely separate histories. One goes back as far as the ARPAnet and is a metaphorical comparison to a real world activity... then the other is much, much more recent and based in the idea that a certain mythological creatures is nasty.

I mean, sure, it may be autism to think the former's history and sources (people on the fucking ARPAnet) make it a far more valid definition than the latter meaning, which has basically no basis or even logic behind it and came into existence because "people" saw the word "troll" followed by "ing" and thought "GREEN MONSTER UNDER BRIDGE lots of laughs!" But... if is, I guess I'm just fucking autistic then.
>>
>>63489812
>knick will go the way of deadwood

More than half of the main cast will lock themselves into work as far away as possible from the location based shoot due to a contractual fuckup that released all the cast members from the program after four years instead of four seasons, making it completely impossible to continue the show?
>>
>>63490531

The only validity is in being publicly defined as valid, dude. I mean, "patent trolls" are not deriving pleasure from the anger they generate, nor are they acting exclusively on the internet. But that term only exists because of the old-school definition.

The thing to do is accept it. The meaning of a word is its use in language. Words mean what they mean because they are used to mean that. "Meaning" is much more a thing that people do than it is a quality words possess.

It sometimes leads to irritating shit, like with 'ironic'. But 'irritating' and 'not actually real' are unfortunately very different things. Peace out, hope the 'tism abates over time. It sometimes does.
>>
>>63490765
"patent trolls" are still engaging in a form of bottom fishing, just a different bottom. They're fishing for people to sue, who will most likely be poor. They aren't hiding under bridges, metaphorically or literally...

And, no, you don't have to accept anything. Ever.
>>
>>63489812
>we keep good shows hidden

that explains the daily leftovers threads whenever it has been airing.

Which strangely stopped after 209. Seemed no one wanted to discuss that. For some unknowable reason.
>>
>>63491017

Yeah, but so are (legitimately-believing)!Trolls. They're fishing for people to get pissed off at them for saying things they actually believe.

And of course you don't HAVE TO accept it. I'm just saying, it's going to keep happening whether you accept it or not, and you'll be happier if you accept it. Less stressed.

Imagine that it's the eighteenth century and I tell you that a couple of hundred years from now, "meat" will mean "animal flesh" as opposed to "any solid food". You'd definitely be better off just rolling with that than raging against it, right?
>>
it was good like a year ago when i was praising it and none of you faggots were talking about it

youre too busy into your shitty last season of breaking bad
>>
>>63491773
>!
So you're a tumblrite. Yes, tumblr's definition of "trolling" is different from the rest of the internet, and was created exactly as I detailed earlier.

It's like two countries having different meanings for the same basic sound.
>>
>>63491882
>!

Kek. That's a completely standard system of differentiating between different versions of the same thing. Pretty sure it originated among SF fandom, ie to distinguish between Spock from the alternate universe in Mirror, Mirror (Mirror!Spock) and Spock from the regular universe (Prime!Spock or just Spock Prime). I know the notation is older than tumblr, unless tumblr is like at least ten years older than I imagine it probably is.

Based on your ignorance of that, I gotta say, and not being sniffy here, I gotta say you don't seem best qualified to comment on 'things tumblr invented and why and how tumblr invented them'. Like, I don't think you're an appropriate authority on that.
>>
>just finished binging s1
>it was almost perfect
>watch first episode of s2

what the FUCK
>>
>>63492083

Keep watching, seriously.
>>
>>63492033
Nigga you exposed. I sensed it earlier and you confirmed it.
>>
>>63492122

Kek, OK reddit. You found a tumblrina. Well done. Gonna give your ass some gold, me.
>>
I'm going to throw my two cents in as I just finished s02e10...this season was one of the best seasons I've watched on TV this year. In its respective genre I can say that only Manhattan rivals it. I wouldn't mind if they ended The Leftovers as that was a great ending.
>>
I'm sucking that Fargo cock, man. It's pretty tasty.
>>
>>63478804
Fargo is a show

The Leftovers is a series

Know the difference
>>
>>63492167
>wanting it to end before jills full blacked scene
>before seeing her dfc and tight cuncun
>>
>>63478732

Plebs on this board will never be on our level
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 2048x1536
Will I ever be this happy /tv/?
>>
>>63492795
Sure, when you're dead.
>>
Happy feet, wombocombo

That ain't Fargo
>>
>>63492484
Get ahold of yourself. Christ, we're talking about a great TV show, not something you can redtube anytime you want.

Okay then.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.