[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literally what the fuck happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Brian De Palma.jpg (75 KB, 837x1000) Image search: [Google]
Brian De Palma.jpg
75 KB, 837x1000
Literally what the fuck happened?
>>
he got old and cannae hack it anymore
>>
>>63461347
still makin' masterpieces
>>
>>63461347
Just hit the creative wall as he aged. Hasn't made a good movie for 19 years.
>>
His career started as shit and will end as shit.
>>
File: Mission-Impossible-I.jpg (108 KB, 921x1300) Image search: [Google]
Mission-Impossible-I.jpg
108 KB, 921x1300
>>63461439
It's true
>>
>>63461439
>Hasn't made a good movie for 19 years

anon pls

passion, femme fatale, mission to mars, the black dahlia, and snake eyes are all amazing/masterpieces and redacted is very good
>>
He is an interesting case. I love a lot of his films.
Dressed to Kill
Scarface
Body Double

But some of his movies are easily absolute garbage.

Mission to Mars
Black Dahlia
Snake Eyes

He reminds me of John Carpenter with his hits and misses.
>>
>>63461621
Mission to Mars sucked. Snake Eyes was mediocre. But De Palma was always a spotty director. The Untouchables is one of the worst "acclaimed movies" of the 80s.
>>
>>63461677
kind of agree on the untouchables but mission to mars is great, and snake eyes is fantastic

i wouldn't say bdp is spotty at all. he's got some not so great films but the majority are very good or better.
>>
Critics and audiences alike didn't like To the Wonder because his new more experimental style is based on the abstract and Heidegger's critique of aesthetics.
>>
>De Palma Depression era gangster film
>De Niro as Capone
>Morricone score

It's a hammy as fuck flickcore Sean Connery meme delivery machine
>>
>>63461815
No offense, but I can't tell if you are trolling or not. Mission to Mars was so bad, I left the theater after skipping work to see it. What did you like about it? I am serious.
>>
>>63461955
This is a thread about De Palma, not Malick
>>
>>63462187
i'm serious too

i lik ethat it's totally sincere, and it's incredibly playful. bdp's just having fun.

this richard brody video explains it better than i do i think:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/brian-de-palma-mission-to-mars

i guess i get why people don't like it though, it is pretty silly
>>
>>63462238
Why did OP post a picture of Malick then?
>>
>>63461815
Definite troll, Snake Eyes is fantastic? lol
>>
>>63461347

what do you mean? Femme Fatale is the best movie he's made and one of the best movies to come out in the last decade

Passion is also wonderful

stop being such a pleb OP
>>
>>63462584
it is fantastic, and it is ever more relevant

why is it not fantastic?
>>
>>63461372
LOL
cannae wa fah T2
>>
>>63461677
Snake Eyes was his optimistic computer nerd answer to Blow Out's dark, failure-of-cinematic-form ending where we can work in tandem with technology while also questioning our place with what's progressing so far ahead of us, which gives it some prescience.

Mission to Mars was a mistake but I admire it's wide-eyed charm and technical brilliance even as some parts dare you to keep watching.

The Untouchables was just a trial run for Casualties of War, people enjoy seeing De Niro get violent so it blew up. I wouldn't call him spotty he's only made like five truly shit movies.
>>
>>63463956
jackie?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.