[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>see a list of best comedies of all time >it's a bunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: 1444973337258.jpg (81 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1444973337258.jpg
81 KB, 447x444
>see a list of best comedies of all time
>it's a bunch of fucking old movies

Why do people do this? Why do we pretend old movies are nearly as funny as modern movies? The measure of a comedy should be how funny it is, and modern comedies are designed to be as funny as possible for modern audiences, while those old movies were designed to be found funny by people back then. It reeks of pretentiousness.
>>
>>63459342
There's no tits or dick jokes either!
>>
>>63459358
I'm just saying that the title of "best comedy movie" should go to the one that makes modern audiences laugh the most. If it happens to involve a few dicks jokes, so be it.
>>
>>63459358
>Life of Brian
>no dick jokes
op kill yourself as well
>>
>>63459398
The big bang theory makes a lot of people laugh, is that good comedy?
>>
>>63459398
Which modern comedy movies are actually funny?
>>
>>63459447
Of course.
>>
>>63459512
In that case your opinion is completely invalid
>>
>>63459510
men in black
>>
They are called dilettantes and they infest every thing I ever involved myself with. Normal people want to get in touch with high quality products of their hobby, others want to have the most tasteful lists
>>
>>63459572
Seriously? It's an entertaining and amusing at times Sci Fi film but it's nothing noteworthy, in any genre.
>>
>>63459553
Well senpai, how would you define which movie is deserving of the title "best comedy movie"
>>
>>63459627
rush hour
>>
>>63459510
Borat
21 Jump Street
>>
I can't think of the last good comedy movie
>>
The soviets have some really good stuff
its in the region of about 40-45 years old and they are better than some released now
>>
Comedy is way more historical context dependant than tragedy.
>>
Most movies aren't funny these days.
>>
>>63459672
>borat
>funny
>>
its the same with all genres
alot of pretentious fucks here think all the best movies are the black and white ones
>>
>>63459510
Goon
>>
tropic thunder was literally the last good comedy movie
>>
>>63459510
Movie 43
>>
comedies are made by jews and have alot of zionist humour/plot device
>>
Because the way it is now with kids. Old people in charge of those lists are of course going to put their favorites, but now you're one of two things, I guess. There are the special snowflakes that seek to be some type of cultural pinnacle by liking Charlie Chaplin, and there are people that like what they really like.
>>
We have a type of stupid humor now. We like laughing at people being stupid. Immature jokes are also pretty funny, but because it's immature, it's unacceptable to elitists. There's some type of desire to be a "known" intellectual today. Even though smart people DO laugh at some things, it makes you look stupid to some people. If you look stupid, how can you be gratified for your immense intelligence? You just have to make sure everyone knows you're an intelligent, cultural, sophisticated individual to everyone. So you have to like movies that have some type of wit that would be funny to someone from the 40s.
>>
>>63459510
Black Dynamite?
>>
>>63460605

Well said. You described one of my close friends basically word for word and he reeks of that desperation to look like that intellectual.
>>
>>63459342

i just saw Movie 43.

Is comedy dead?
>>
File: 1446781659512.png (110 KB, 892x671) Image search: [Google]
1446781659512.png
110 KB, 892x671
>>63459342
>if you like something I don't like you're pretending
>implying you can't find older things funny if you understand most of the context
>implying you can't like newer and older things because OP isn't capable of non-binary thought
If you can't understand why movies from different times in history are on an all-time list you might actually be retarded, by the way.
>>
>>63459886
It's because Hollywood doesn't like the genre and as such doesn't make or invest in it as much. Comedy often simply doesn't transcend cultural barriers and earnings are often limited to domestic.

TV is better format for comedy anyway.
>>
>>63459921
>alot of pretentious fucks here think all the best movies are the black and white ones
Well some of them sure.
Is it pretentious to ever watch a movie that wasn't made in the past five years, because we all must be such cranky old men?

I think what you don't realize is that a lot of modern movies are slapstick shit that people forget about in a few months, but oftentimes older movies from the 60's back when going to the movies was still an event, movies were made to be remembered.

tl;dr Fuck you OP, you fucking counter hipster.
>>
>>63460922
>If you can't understand why movies from different times in history are on an all-time list you might actually be retarded, by the way.
Why are there no future movies on that list, buddy boy?
>>
But most modern comedies suck dick.
I know you're contrarian and you like to shit on people who like old stuff, but in this case the old stuff is actually better.
Every comedy they release nowadays panders either to the Adam Sandler crowd or the DUDE WEED LMAO crowd, the former has generic jokes with no sense of timing and lots of poorly done slapstick, and the latter is made for frat bros who are satisfied with a few stoner and dick jokes with zero substance. I'm not saying these immature elements are inherently bad, especially when most great comedies used to rely on those same things, but the way they're used now is cheap and you shouldn't be satisfied with it.

Go ahead, show me some modern comedy that doesn't suck, you'll probably come up with some few examples, but that's it, just a few gems in the middle of a giant pile of shit.
>>
File: 1448091404733.jpg (29 KB, 465x437) Image search: [Google]
1448091404733.jpg
29 KB, 465x437
>>63461158
>>
True comedies are timeless. Their appeal and aesthetic is irrelevant because the gags are universally funny. See:

>Groundhog Day
>Airplane
>>
>>63461174
Correct answer. Somehow OVERACTING and WACKY FACIAL EXPRESSIONS and WEED is the height of humor now.
>>
Absolutely right op. Seth Bogan and his chums sitting around for 20 weeks improvising jokes about cocks and rape until they have enough material for a 90 minute film is much better than anything before what grandpa used to watch before 1992.
>>
>>63461383
I agree that those examples are very funny. But I look at this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Laughs

And it's filled with unfunny shit. A Fish Called Wanda? I laughed out loud maybe once during it's duration. I also have a hard time believing any of those silent films would get much of a laugh out of me.
>>
Comedy's goal is directly counter to that of the intelligent mind. Any "best" comedy movies are just as destructive as the worst, differentiating between them is meaningless.
>>
>>63461611
have you even seen some like it hot?

do you know who jack lemon is?
>>
>>63461611
But most modern comedies would probably net you the same amount of laughs as older comedies
In the last year, we had shit like "Trainwreck", "Vacation", "Hot Tub Time Machine 2"
eh, it's not great
>>
>>63461708
I know who Jack Lemmon is, but I haven't seen Some Like it Hot. Is it really that great? The wiki says it's just dudes who dress up as women which doesn't sound that funny.
>>
>>63461658
>implying there aren't different levels of intelligence that respond to different types of comedy
stop being an edgelord, comedy in general isn't opposed to intelligence
>>
>>63459510
Four Lions
In the Loop
Observe & Report
The Trip
Zoolander
Burn After Reading
O Brother Where Art Thou
>>
modern comedies are mostly flash in the pan trend cash grabs sempai

I don't think grumpy cat christmas or whatever holds up to something like ghostbusters
>>
>>63461835
So you actually just think that, for financial reasons, the average quality of comedy movies has gone downhill over the past 50 or so year?
>>
>>63461761
yep, it's very good
>>
>>63461875
50? no
15? yes
>>
>>63461875
yes, the average moviegoer today has far less of a standard for intelligence compared to 50 years ago, so putting effort and money into writing a decent script etc is a waste of money
>>
Say what you will about John Landis but his 80s comedies are timeless. Definitely agree with the really old stuff though.
>>
>>63459510
Office Space
In Bruges
>>
Dr. Strangelove is funnier today than it was then.

And if you can't laugh at Chaplin films like Modern Times you have no soul.
>>
Would you get triggered if i listed monty python holy grail over the hangover?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.