[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how worth it is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 24
File: 4L_3y3WVlTB.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4L_3y3WVlTB.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
i love what the style seems to be based on posters,art,clips i seen But i dont want to grow a fedora
>>
This is one of the least fedora shows of the last decade. No "entertainment" scenes and catch phrase spouting "badasses".
>>
I don't think you know what the fedora meme means.
>>
>>63457934
>Dialogue is much more robust than a constant stream of one liners
>Rarely kills off characters or uses violence as a crutch
>Philosophical viewpoints are expressed through the character's behaviour and motivations rather than overt, winking monologues
>Show isn't scared to colour its characters with traits that aren't 'badass', like being emotionally stunted, envious and pathetically insecure

It is the complete antithesis of 'fedora'
>>
>>63457934
It's better than the sopranos or the wire. Less influential though.

also, Roger most bro-tier character.
>>
It is good but it is so looooooooooooooooooong
Like it just kept going on and on and on and on and on

There are like episodes after episodes where nothing happens
It's basically a show where you hope to get so invested in the characters that basically you just enjoy them living out their own normal lives, occasionally from time to time them doing something somewhat interesting
>>
>>63458367
What shows use constant streams of one liners?
>>
File: roger sterling.jpg (454 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
roger sterling.jpg
454 KB, 2000x1334
>>63457934
>how worth it is it?

Definitely worth watching.

I didn't pay any attention to Mad Men until the the second to last season, shrugging it off as a chick show but when I heard it was ending, I marathoned it via DVD (watching the last two season live) and found it to be a very good series.
>>
File: pete-campbell-b-b-gun.jpg (203 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
pete-campbell-b-b-gun.jpg
203 KB, 500x289
>>63457992

>No catchphrase spouting badasses
>>
File: 1428896680006.jpg (72 KB, 533x533) Image search: [Google]
1428896680006.jpg
72 KB, 533x533
it's the GOAT
>>
>You are OK
>>
>Don accepted who he is and became the greatest ad man to ever live
>Pete won Trudy back and became the ultimate Mad Manl
Damn, just thinking about it makes me want to re-watch.
>>
OP, I sincerely mean this when I say it is the best show ever made.

Just remember it is about the characters, first and foremost, and their lives throughout the sixties. The creator of show the one time said the main theme of it is "you always go back to who you are" and I'd say that's a great way to look at the show as you watch.

Even when you think it's slow and pointless in the beginning episodes (like a friend of mine did), just stick with it. You will be glad you did.
>>
>>63461909
It doesn't really come into its own until season 3.
>>
>>63457934

Might be my favourite television show ever, a lot of which has to do with what I found to be an extremely consistent level of quality throughout its entire run. It is worth it.

That said, don't set your expectations too high going into it. It is very much a show about the characters. Don't expect major plot shifts every episode, that's not what it's about. It's about what happens between those shifts of time and circumstance that make the show great. Watching how these characters respond to the changes in their lives. Try to give yourself some time to give a shit about them, rather than expecting to be immediately gripped by the narrative.
>>
The show is about a guy who hates his life and can't make any friends or deep connections with people so he drinks, dresses well, belittles people, and cheats on his wife with anyone who shows him the slightest bit of interest in order to compensate. But it expresses all of this very subtly, so you get dense retards who just see some rich handsome guy drinking and fucking a lot of women that end up assuming the show is some sort of power fantasy. That's where you're getting the fedora impression from.
>>
>>63457934

just read the collected works of Richard Yates. you'll improve yourself by reading great works of literature, you'll impress cutes who like books by being familiar with a relatively obscure American genius, and you'll be a better person. the show is worthless and useless.
>>
basically a successful adman keks his wife and his coworkers are idiots.
>>
I feel that the show is a little to formulaic at times. You get 6-7 worthwhile episodes each season alongside a number of contained story lines episodes. Hell, the "Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency" episode was rather self contained too.
>>
File: XujHL.gif (504 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
XujHL.gif
504 KB, 320x240
>>63462522
> just read
>>
>>63457934
>tfw I literally just started my rewatch

Feels so fucking good
>>
It is the best show of all time, so yes, it is "worth it"
>>
>>63462470
Wow bro good thing we have you here to break that down for us. No one else but you understood the show until you revealed it all for us with this brilliant post!
changed my whole perspective on not only the series but life as a whole senpai
>>
File: weiner hamm jones.png (498 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
weiner hamm jones.png
498 KB, 840x560
It's television's greatest series, along with The Sopranos, it's spiritual and thematic forebear. Weiner is the best writer of the medium, writing more, better scripts than almost any other show runner, thereby ensuring a consistent auteur vision over everything. The characters it builds are so thorough and well realized.

There's nothing fedora about it. It's not the sexy swinging good times the commercials and magazine covers make it out to be. It's a long, often dark, character study along with using advertising as a lens through which to show the creation of the modern american identity. It only gets better as it goes along to with the final half season being incredible. It's our great American novel. Shout out /scdp/ miss u bros
>>
>>63462628
I don't think you know what formulaic means.
>>
>>63461640

>it's a chip-n-dip episode
>>
>>63461640

>Not great, Bob!
>>
>>63462837
fuck man still sad its over. Ending was pitch-perfect IMO.
>>
>>63462837
>It's not the sexy swinging good times the commercials and magazine covers make it out to be
Very much this. Season 1 can be a bit heavy on the whole "whoa the 60s were different!" aspect but other than that it's just a well done period piece
>>
File: pete.webm (3 MB, 1916x1076) Image search: [Google]
pete.webm
3 MB, 1916x1076
Pete wins.
>>
>>63463280
Pete learned the art of not GAF
>>
>>63463280
It's kind of amazing how great Pete was.
When it started off he was just annoying asshole who I relished getting his shit pushed in every episode.
But as the show went on you really start to empathize with him, and he really comes into his own. I actually started to LIKE Pete. I wanted to see him succeed.
I guess it helped he went full JUST mode by the end too. He seems more pathetic and sad than a rich whiner
>>
>>63457934
>Fedora

It's everything that Breaking Bad is not about, so it does not apply.
>>
>>63463565

>Not about a man who gives up everything to achieve his dreams even though he starts out misguided and has no clue what he really wants until the end, with a young sidekick that loses hair as his character begins to crumble but redeems himself in the end and still has a chance at leading a fulfilling life despite losing many people in his life that he cared about, and the protagonist has a blonde wife that nags and bitches constantly but has good reason to sometimes, since she's unwittingly caught up in his web of lies and deceit. And both of them lose a hispanic friend along the way, since the spics were keeping a terrible secret that very few knew about (Gus/Sal)
>>
>>63461366
All your favorite shows.
>>
>>63463280
>ywn eat a brooklyn ave. with pete
>>
>>63463280

So other than moving plot along, was the Pete/Ted Cali arc essentially just saying neither of them were happy even though they should have been and you can't just get up and move and change your environment and hope your life will magically improved because you always yearn for the same thing?
>>
File: FLVO9Ko.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
FLVO9Ko.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>you will never watch mad men for the first time again

God damn I miss the /scdp/ threads on here
>>
File: 1446350318011.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446350318011.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>63464257
>Stopped browsing /tv/ when Abatap was around
>Didn't watch Mad Men at the time
>mfw I missed out on this
>>
>>63464257

>ywn watch the new episode of Mad Men Rumsen style to view it objectively for plot, then immediately rewatch Draper style to loosen up and pick up on finer details, then Stan Rizzo style to see the big picture and how the lines resonate through each scene before and after it.

Just Pryce my shit up
>>
>>63463880
Mostly this. A recurring idea in the show is that you can just run away from your problems and find happiness somewhere new, like when Don tried to get Rachel to run away to Paris with him in season 1.

But happiness is not a matter of geography. If you're unhappy in New York, you'll be unhappy in California unless you confront what is actually making you unhappy.
>>
>>63464348

Yeah, figured as much.

But what if my unhappiness is rooted in not enough palm trees and sunshine? What now Weiner???
>>
i feel bad for Sal. He was alright for a faggot
>>
>>63464413
Then you have to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony
>>
>>63458367
Betty exemplifies how grey area these characters are
>starts off as that poor house wife you wish could be liberated
>becomes this bitch that can't let her beef with Don go and imposes her mommy issues on her daughter.
>>
>>63464605

She's just a damaged, real human bean like everyone else.

The literal only meme character on the show was Lou Avery and Danny fuckidontevenrememberhislastnamehe'sJane'scousinorsomething
>>
>>63464257
/scdp/ was great, all the threads during the final half season were so bittersweet. Seems silly to say but that's probably my best experience with /tv/
>>
>>63464707
Speaking of Jane, one of the things I liked about the show was how subtle they could be.

It wasn't until second watching that I caught all the hints about Jane having an eating disorder.
>>
>>63463454
For me it was that young pete subconsciously reminded me of myself: seeing what the 'big boys' have, women money status, and desperately wanting it without understanding the deep pain and flaws that cause/result from those men taking those things.

At the beginning he sees what they have and 'asks' for it, like a child, not understanding it must be taken. As he realizes this, he starts to take those things, even though he already has what the others would call happiness. As he does so, he begins to see the consequences of those actions. Its sexy to take those things when you're young, but pathetic as an old man, and he missed his chance at doing it as a youth.

or something, i dunno.
>>
>>63465172

I felt somewhat the same way. Don't forget, he was actually good at his job as well, even if he was only doing it for money and status. He just asked for too much too soon. And his family treated him like shit for it.
>>
>>63463712
Kek

One flaw in that b8 though, sal is italian you shitter
>>
Ok guys, am I the only one who never really liked Peggy? I feel like I'm completely alone on this. I try to like her, but she just acts so entitled for what she is, I always felt a certain arrogance for her.

Maybe I should go back and rewatch the show and I'll like her more.
>>
>>63465267
You might be a little /pol/. Hell, Peg is arguably the story's main protag. She acted much less entitled than Pete was always a hard worker, understood you can't have everything(unlike Joan) and must make sacrifices. She also learned to be as sharp and cutthroat as the rest. Only reason to not like her is if you think she's inherently inferior despite any personal choice she could possibly make.

>Do you want me to take your watch too?
>>
File: 1431932822087.jpg (38 KB, 557x531) Image search: [Google]
1431932822087.jpg
38 KB, 557x531
>tfw got the blu ray collection and rewatching it

>>63465267
Yeah, I really didnt enjoy her character, she didnt interest me.
>>
>>63465267
Peggy always seemed like a parody of a "strong female character who can deal with the men."

She has all of the arrogance of those kind of characters, but she goes through a lot of shit and gets cut down plenty.
>>
>>63465437
You're probably right and this is sort of what I figured. They did such great casting with her character. I don't feel like looking up who the actress was, but she portrayed her perfect...
>>
File: bike-rider.jpg (162 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
bike-rider.jpg
162 KB, 960x960
Don't bother with this fucking soap opera melodramatic office gossip trash. Pregnant ladies bitching in the office, and shit nobody cares about.

Let me break the show down for you.

>Feminism, women can get jobs too! memes
>Homosexuals are people too! memes
>African Americans are people too! memes
>LMAO Liberal perspectives!
>Absolutely no realistic business is discussed, just memes
>Unrealistic soapy cartoonish 60's portrayal
>Le Wandering Don face

Skip this shit OP. It's a giant Coca Cola ad.

Just watch the best of Roger clip on Youtube and save yourself the hassle.
>>
>>63464257
>>63465085
/scdp/ threads were just pedo sally "post feet" circle jerk threads

you didnt miss anything
>>
Anybody else wish Ginsberg could make an appearance in the second half of the final season? At least they could have Stan and Peggy visit him while he was at the mental asylum.
>>
>>63458367
>Rarely kills off characters or uses violence as a crutch
Le froggy brit suicide :^)
>>
>>63465729
I wouldnt say parody, I would say reality. Usually that character type is SO STRONK and overcomes literally everything in their way. Peggy does overcome some things, but only to a realistic degree.

For example, she lands an office gig, which is HUGE, but when she SO STRONK BARGE IN AND DEMAND RAISE, she gets fucking shut down by Don. Not because she's a woman (maybe a little but negligibly so) but because he sees that she doesnt really deserve it, she's just being entitled. He gave her an inch, she tried to take a mile, and he told her to fuck right off.

There's a lot of tumblrettes that refuse to acknowledge peggy as flawed and see it all as 'muh patriarchy' (it is once in a while, but only ever in more subtle ways) when she doesn't get her way. But most of the show is going over their heads anyway.
>>
>>63462837
"Weiner is the best writer of the medium..."

>2015
>Not acknowledging the artistic primacy of based Milch
>>
File: don (2).jpg (47 KB, 333x342) Image search: [Google]
don (2).jpg
47 KB, 333x342
>>63464438
>woman: "I love it in here, it's hot, loud, and full of men"
>Sal: "I know what you mean"

>mfw that look she gives him
>>
File: MILCH.jpg (110 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
MILCH.jpg
110 KB, 600x322
>>63466268
Forgot pic
>>
File: Mad Men Oooooooh.jpg (14 KB, 452x233) Image search: [Google]
Mad Men Oooooooh.jpg
14 KB, 452x233
>>63466277
Speaking of, that look when it finally dawns on Kitty that Sal is a poof...
>>
Post yer rare Dons.
>>
>>63466008
From what I can remember, there have onky been really 2 major deaths in the 7 seasons of mad men.

While shows like game of thrones and breaking bad have about 2 major deaths per season.
>>
File: DoIt.gif (957 KB, 245x179) Image search: [Google]
DoIt.gif
957 KB, 245x179
>>63466388
>>
>>63466414
there are 3 if you count Anna

none of them were violent deaths though
>>
File: Mad Men.webm (3 MB, 1140x640) Image search: [Google]
Mad Men.webm
3 MB, 1140x640
>>
File: 1445394812190.gif (2 MB, 377x326) Image search: [Google]
1445394812190.gif
2 MB, 377x326
>>63466388
>>
File: man_hamm.jpg (29 KB, 308x494) Image search: [Google]
man_hamm.jpg
29 KB, 308x494
>>63466388
>>
>>63465257

They speak spanish dont they
>>
>>63465957

I really really hate the way they ended that character. He still had a lot of potential, even if (or especially because) he was crazy.
>>
>he didn't jump out his office window in the end

anyone else slightly disappointed this didn't happen?
>>
>>63467382

In his mind he did, you pleb

do you even symbolism and journey of character development
>>
>>63467443
no i got all that. but a slight part of me wanted them to do it
>>
>>63467487

I would have preferred a slight twist where he actually gets shoved out a window by someone he pissed off
>>
File: 1439697959827.jpg (58 KB, 449x688) Image search: [Google]
1439697959827.jpg
58 KB, 449x688
>>63465469

>the ending
>>
>>63467382
A little bit, they foreshadowed it a bit, with him hearing the whistling of his window, then the dokr in his apartment didnt shut, and a lot of talk of his death by dream sequences and other parts.
>>
File: implications.jpg (135 KB, 502x461) Image search: [Google]
implications.jpg
135 KB, 502x461
>>63467316
>Salvatore
>Spanish
>>
File: Peggy_and_Don2.jpg (382 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
Peggy_and_Don2.jpg
382 KB, 1280x1280
>>63465267
>>63465437
>>63466189

>tfw don had a closer connection with peggy than any other woman in his life
>he was the only one to see her in the hospital and kept her secret about having a baby
>that episode where they spend the whole night just sitting in the office in each other's arms
>the final episode when he makes that phone call to her
>>
;_;
>>
>>63459780
Mad Men is no where near the quality of either of those shows.
>>
File: homer.jpg (49 KB, 369x519) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
49 KB, 369x519
>>63457992
the whole show is about spouting catch phrases, you dumbass
>>
File: JUST.png (42 KB, 162x139) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
42 KB, 162x139
>>63457934
>But i dont want to grow a fedora

trust me you already have
>>
>>63466414
Breaking Bad didn't have that many and there was generally a long lead up to violence.

Game of Thrones is gratuitous and lazy with its deaths.

Mad Men is on a whole other level, of course.
>>
>>63462796
i mean, your post is appropriate if we were in a regular /SC&P/ thread, but this a thread for someone who hasn't seen it before, and needed the idea that it's some edgy male power fantasy fedoracore bullshit dispelling.
>>
>>63461640
>it's a Pete shoots up the office episode
>>
>>63459780
Roger and Cosgrove are based
>>
>>63469763
It isn't. It's way above them both.
>>
>>63457992
>the least fedora shows
>characters in the show are LITERALLY wearing fedoras
stay pleb reddit
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.