[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Leftovers general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 18
File: mpv_ss_2015-12-08_21'03'27.png (701 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv_ss_2015-12-08_21'03'27.png
701 KB, 1280x720
Leftovers general

discuss the ending
>>
>>63454530
Fargos better 2bh.
>>
That ending was high art, son.

C’est Magnifique!
>>
>>63454530

It was a happy ending, if they didn't make a season 3 I'd be satisfied with it.

Also, Matt-focused episodes are always great.
>>
>tfw John goes back to his family

>tfw Kevin's family comes back to him
>>
>>63454685
CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS
>>
>>63454743

NO.

WE'RE NOT DOING THAT.
>>
The ending was so great. Honestly the writing has improved so much (and not just from season 1, but from LOST as well).

I thought it as bullshit that Kevin was in the hotel again after he died, but the karaoke made up for it. And everything after that was amazing. Dreamlike, but still very gripping.
>>
>>63454530
>Kevin sings so he can come back from the dead
that whole scene plus the entire episode devoted to that place were fucking GOAT.
>>
File: Leftovers s02e10 FANTASTIC.webm (853 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Leftovers s02e10 FANTASTIC.webm
853 KB, 1024x576
>>63454795

Can't forget the Matt Attack.

>his smile and optimism:even stronger
>>
>>63454846
The feeling I got watching Mary wake up again and matts reaction was immense, literally started tearing up
>>
Same bullshit Lindeloff writing that everyone hated in Lost.

But I think people are so wise to his crap they knew this would happen, so they made sure to not get invested in things like the plot, or answers to questions they knew would never get answered and instead latched on the character's journey instead.

He basically got to rewrite the last season of Lost without having to deal with 5 years of random mystery built on random mysterious and lies by himself and the showrunners telling the audience they had a plan and knew what was going on.

I loved it, my only big issue was that GR's big plan was to storm a bridge and let a bunch of hippys riot in the town for a night? That was the amazing thing Meg was planning?
>>
>>63455148

They completely destroyed Miracle's credibility, I'd say she did a damn fine job.
>>
>>63454530
What was everyone's favourite episode this season? Because at least half of this season was a 10/10

For me, it's a toss-up between Kevin Finnerty-Garvey and the Nora and Erika episode
>>
>>63455307
>They completely destroyed Miracle's credibility, I'd say she did a damn fine job.

How? It's still the only place in the world where nobody departured from. It was just attacked by some terrorists.
>>
>>63455384
>How? It's still the only place in the world where nobody departured from.

Yes but everyone else believed that it must be some magical place where nothing goes wrong and the water heals aches and pains etc.

Nope. Just another town that can get plunged into chaos with a little recruitment. No one ever departed sure but not because the place was blessed or protected, or else why could the GR fuck it over so hard?
>>
>>63455364
Probably the Matt and Mary get locked out episode. Would have been better if the kid died at the end as well.

I'm a bit torn on the Kevin hotel episode. In and of itself, it was great. I really don't like how it (and especially the next episode where the nigger told him he's been dead for 8 hours) erased the ambiguity of supernatural stuff.
>>
>>63455675
There is still ambiguity. It's just getting harder to accept.

Kevin took drugs. Black kid isn't a doctor. Who knows if he even knows how to feel a pulse?

Lindelof addressed this and he still believes that it could go either way. But I think it adds to the magic of the show where Kevin can walk around with a hole in his chest and we all have no idea what is going on.
>>
>>63455675
I will never understand people who make this statement
>>
In the long run the attack on Miracle means nothing.

Oh there was a fake bomb thread and then people rushed it's gates for a little riot.

Vs

It's the only place on the entire planet that was spared from the biggest invent in mankind history.

Nobody cared about Miracle because they thought they were safe from being mugged. They cared about Miracle because they thought it was make them safe from magically disappearing one day.
>>
>>63455782
The point is that it's not though, they have just as much loss as everyone else.
>>
>>63455782
Miracle can close a blind eye no more.

The movement is still on going...
>>
>>63455762
Yeah. It would be kinda cool if Kevin was some sort of demigod. I'd just have to shift gears. Luckily I started watching halfway through season 2 so I didn't really experience the show over a long enough time to get too attached to it being a nonsupernatural show.

I just don't see how Lindelof can wave away Kevin's death. Unless Michael had just finished burying him (which would explain why he was still there), there'd be no way Kevin would be alive. Also, you'd have to be a pretty fucking huge retard to have grown up in the modern US and not know how to check a pulse. Especially if your mom is a doctor.
>>
>>63455845
>The point is that it's not though, they have just as much loss as everyone else.

Except for you know, the hand of god didn't come down and make 1 in 50 people vanish.

They have nomral levels of loss, where the rest of the world is dealing with biblical levels of loss.

Maybe it would cause some self reflection from people already living there but for the rest of the world? The only thing it would change is that it will be harder to get in once they clean up the mess.
>>
>>63456557
They took their luck as a sign that they were chosen and blessed. Causing them to think their existence was more important than everyone else's because of this place.

The GR was trying to show that, regardless of the departures, they were not blessed and protected by God.
>>
How did the GR reach the girls anyways? I'm assuming the internet but fact that it was never clarified bothered me. I guess when Evie met Meg and said no one ever finds what they're looking for it showed her disillusionment with the town but there are still some steps between that and the bomb plot that could've done with some clarification. Other than that the season is perfect and the series is probably one of my favorite ever, I'd be completely satisfied if it ends there.

On Tom and Meg:
>I wanted to get you pregnant.
wdsmbt?
>>
So how many of you caught that the ending was a frame for frame duplicate of the original neon genesis evangelion ending?
>>
>>63457082
>I'm assuming the internet but fact that it was never clarified bothered me. I guess when Evie met Meg and said no one ever finds what they're looking for it showed her disillusionment with the town but there are still some steps between that and the bomb plot that could've done with some clarification.
I think it's a safe guess Meg got back in touch after arriving at home and brought Evie along on her journey to the GR from a distance.
>>
>>63457082
The GR is basically just fucking magic at this point. They do whatever is needed to force inane drama.
>>
>>63457473
I don't watch anime but I looked this up because it kept getting mentioned. Not really frame by frame, maybe thematically similar, just guessing that without context though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtXaKsd7jm4
>>
>>63456557
They're alienated in that way though, no miracles happened in miracle. They're ignoring the global importance of what happened in favor of the personal...'gain', for lack of a better word.
>>
I think this show has great writing and acting, but terrible plotting. They create some really incredible scenes, full of emotion, but they clearly don't mind making a few retarded narrative choices to get there.

>To get rid of the visions of Patty the writers arbitrarily decided Kevin would be haunted by, Kevin must arbitrarily enter the world of the dead. Just because that's how you get rid of this sort of thing. The scenes in the hotel/at the well are great, but you can definitely feel the writers pushing things along.

>Many of Kevin's problems in both S1 and S2 are caused by fucking sleepwalking. That's the explanation they have for all those inexplicable cliffhangers. This creates for a lot of great panicky/desperate Kevin scenes, but is pretty lame as far as plot goes.

>Somebody joining the GR creates for great domestic drama. But I honestly find it very hard to believe a cult with such lame rules (no possessions, no talking, you have to smoke) would attract members so easily, even in an impossible-to-explain end-of-the-wolf scenario.
>>
>>63454685
There will be a season 3?
>>
>>63454971
The episode where he's doing the same routine day in and out so shed wake up again shattered my heart into a thousand fucking pieces.
>>
>>63458376
One thing I like about the writing it how it shows people clinging to rituals to deal with grief.

As well as that case with Matt, see Nora buying all her kids' food and hiring prostitutes to shoot her and Erika with the birds
>>
>>63455782

I think there was a lot that we weren't seeing on Kevin's walk home - we know Meg's group was armed and that there were dead/injured park rangers all over the place. I imagine that the reason the ATFEC hasn't moved in to kill everyone by the time Kevin woke up is because the militant faction of the GR has set up some sort of a perimeter around the town (even if it's just a few snipers).
>>
>>63457082

She was saying that her rape of him didn't matter. He kept trying to rationalize it, when really the only reason she did it was because she could and she knew it would fuck with him.
>>
>>63458493

That's why S1 and S2 have a nice arc

S1
> struggling with grief
S2
> accepting grief as a part of life
S3
> overcoming grief
>>
File: unwanted black baby.webm (2 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
unwanted black baby.webm
2 MB, 1000x563
THAT'S NOT YOUR BABY
>>
>>63458776

Loved the introduction of a random threat - insane but very real
>>
>>63458579
>She was saying that her rape of him didn't matter
>rape

Feminist detected.
>>
>>63458970

> tied in the back of a van
> someone forces themselves upon you
> not rape
>>
>>63457082

I took it as a mental pregnancy. Implant some pro-GR seed into him. Tom became dependent on her or at least really wanted to be with her after (much like women might do if they get knocked up). There's no other reason for him to follow her after that mindfuck she played on him with the gasoline.
>>
>>63459127
Depends if he was pushing rope or not.
>>
I PROMISE I WILL NEVER DIE

THE SERIES SENPAI
>>
> S1 is great, coming into focus towards the end
> S2 is GOAT every fucking episode
> S3 would feature an immortal Kevin retaking Miracle with a bunch of volunteer firefighters and Matt as battlepriest
> S4 would feature the departed returning just as they had left

Never has a show demanded renewal more.
>>
>>63454846

Literally best moment in the series, even better than seeing Kevin's face when that ATFEC agent casually offers to kill every GR member in his town
>>
i don't get the GR at all and found the ending to be very underwhelming, I was hoping the girls would hang themselves or literally explode the bridge, you know, something more drastic

rest was fine
>>
>>63459538

I assumed that they would hang themselves off the bridge (like in Kevin's experience in purgatory), but I think the invasion plot sets up next season nicely.
>>
>>63455384
it's no longer a safe haven
>>
>>63459365

That S3 sounds terrible.

But I'm struggling to think of where they can go from here without going down the supernatural rabbithole.
>>
>>63455364
International Assassin. I live here and orange sticker get honorable mentions
>>
>>63460050

They have a perfect setup for a Waco-style confrontation between the ATFEC and GR

Maybe a side-trip to Australia or two in the mix
>>
>>63455364

International Assassin was definitely the show's most bold/successful episode
>>
>>63455364
I live here now, international assassin and lenses were all GOAT
>>
>>63458776
>THAT'S NOT YOUR BABY

Promptly abandons stolen baby 20 feet away.
>>
>>63460691

She was definitely an SJW - the baby was just a prop to her.
>>
can i jump right into season 2 or do i have to watch season 1
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 288x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 288x426
BRING HER BACK OR ELSE
>>
>>63460766

Watching season 1 is essential - it's only 10 episodes and the last 5 are GOAT. First 5 are excellent, but have some focus issues.
>>
>>63460766
You have to watch season 1.

Also was that the GOAT finale I'm almost torn about a 3rd season bc I don't want anything else to happen to Matt
>>
>>63460817

> implying that Matt won't negotiate a ceasefire with ATFEC and save the entire town
>>
MORE JILL

WE WANT JILL
>>
>>63460886
I wouldn't doubt it, that man is just too based
>>
>>63460806

Did her and Kevin fugg? I could never decide.
>>
>>63460966

> all of those genuine smiles

I can't help but beam every time he's happy
>>
>>63460977
Yes. On a bed of guns.
>>
>>63460977
>on a pile of guns
>>
File: did you fuck him.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
did you fuck him.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>63460977
>>
>>63461033
I know I almost cried when Mary woke up, I was just too happy for him
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 500x500
>priest is played by an atheist
>>
>>63461141

> she calls out "Matt!" while Nora wheels her up to him
> it's literally the cutest voice ever

desu I would watch a show called M&M that just showed them living happily together
>>
>>63461190

> it was actually the actor's idea to have Matt keep his faith

Must be fun working with so many nice, thoughtful people
>>
>>63461222
oh same, as long as he helps a friend bury a body every once in a while
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 684x513) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 684x513
>you will never protect that smile
>>
>>63461345

> you will never trust and love other people so much that you help a friend bury a body, no questions asked
>>
Fucking literal 10/10 show RUINED by Lindelof being a huge faggot.

The ambiguity of the supernatural stuff is what made it so interesting. Watching Matt recreate his morning trying to get Mary to wake up or watching Kevin's descent into madness, triggered by this overwhelming grief was just super cool.

But then it's just like, oh, these things actually did happen. Kevin is an immortal who can visit purgatory and sing songs to resurrect and Mary can wake up from vegetative states at will. Oh and there's a real life psychic living in Jarden too!

It's like, what the fuck were you thinking? Turned a character study into some magical wizard bullshit. What, next season we're gonna have to watch Nora struggle to exorcise Azrael from her body and Holy Wayne will resurrect to hug the pain away?

It's just so fucking stupid. I'm dumbfounded Lindelof fucked up again after showing such fucking restraint for literally 90% of the show.
>>
>>63461931
>Holy Wayne will resurrect
i would dig that
>>
Currently watching Twin Peaks, season 1 episode 3, not liking it so far tbf pretty bad
>Let me throw rocks at a bottle and whichever breaks the glass bottle must be the killer!
>>
>>63461931

>ambiguity of the supernatural stuff

>the premise of the show is that people vanished

It was supernatural from the start.
>>
>>63462234
He's served his purpose, and didn't he drink the water?
>>
>>63461931
People who can communicate with souls/spirits whatever you want to call them exist, people coming back from comas or absurd things does happen
What bugs me is the singing to returm, it was poor
Atheists are so edgy
>>
File: fkYaYEr.jpg (33 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
fkYaYEr.jpg
33 KB, 365x500
Just finished watching the finale

>Season 1
>Great world building and overall tone
>Weird but is all the weirdness from peoples grief or from some supernatural element?

>Season 2
>Where the rules are made up and nothing matters anymore
>Like twin peaks with a focused plot and half the characters acknowledging the surrealism
>Is Kevin actually immortal? or just a lucky crazy person?
>Set up a new credible scientist trying to study Nora, Nope just another wackjob because fuck everything
>Matt claims his wife wakes up but its set up that he hallucinated it and raped his wife Nope she actually woke up because fuck you
>I don't understand what is happening.

Jesus christ this show is so good Season 2 turned it up to 11, can't wait for season 3
>>
>>63462550
He got shot dead in the afterlife, so now he's dead-dead.
>>
>I killed you
>Nope

>What if nobody's home?

Man I wish we got more of those exchanges between those two. Both those scenes were pretty awesome. I really hope HBO doesn't can this.

>>63454743
I'm honestly surprised it took this long for me to see someone comparing it to Eva's ending.
>>
>>63462678
>twin peaks
shit show with terrible acting
>>
>>63461132
>>63460977
That looks like a pretty fat joint. Respect, Jill. Respect.
Pretty sure they didn't actually fuck though. They both saw it as an opportunity but I don't think Kevin would risk fucking a teenager at all, and it works better if the whole thing is presented from the perspective of Jill being paranoid after everything else going to shit around her.
>>
>>63462598
>People who can communicate with souls/spirits whatever you want to call them exist

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>63462904
You don't have to believe me, it doesn't bother me in the least. I didn't believe it either but now I'm absolutely certain of it. Shows like these aren't for you atheist types where all you want is life is shit we die and rot existence is meaningless
It's like you faggots take pleasure in misery and want everyone else to be as miserable as you
>>
>>63462774
Def overrated its got some value for being so different tho
>>
>>63462992
pls keep posting anon, youre hilarious lmfao

say some more stuff haha
>>
>>63462598
Singing to return. I don't even care how ridiculous of a concept it is simply because it was amazingly powerful
>>
>>63462598
>>63462992
Um, people who communicate with souls/spirits don't exist because souls/spirits don't exist to begin with.

Unless you actually believe in that kind of thing, in which case I guess that's ok. You'll go through life thinking when you die your "soul" will move on or something and it's not like you'll ever know that you were wrong since you'll be dead...

So uh, yeah.
>>
File: 1448075214035.png (34 KB, 822x899) Image search: [Google]
1448075214035.png
34 KB, 822x899
>>63463132
Are you that addicted to the sound of your own typing?
>inb4 you double-down
>>
>>63463043
I'm not going to say God bless you because I wouldn't mean it
>>
Every single town is burning to the fucking ground, the world is ending and the only thing that makes me happy is knowing that Kevin and Nora love and have each other.
>>
>>63463132
They do, you'll realize it when you meet your loved ones after you leave this world or maybe sooner but fact they do
>>
>>63462678
I'd have liked if Matt's wife didn't remember waking up before. That way Matt gets a win but we're still ambiguous on the rape count
>>
>>63463328
>fact
>fact
>fact
>fact
>fact

might wanna pick up a dictionary
>>
>>63460908
Literally this. I want to marry Margaret Qualley tbqh.
>>
>>63463358
I don't need one, I know for a fact there is life after "death". I genuinely don't care whether you believe or not, I don't need your validation
>>
Patricians choose S1. Plebs choose S2. I mean, yes, the second season was GOOD. But not great. S1 was note for note perfect without any filler.
>>
>>63463349
This sounds good
I like this
>>
>>63458776
I was ecstatic when that happened. I really am not a fan of all the race mixing propaganda in this show. Unfortunately that threat was resolved in 2 minutes with nothing actually happening.
>>
>>63463349
I don't know why people thought Matt really used his vegetable wife as a realdoll. He told Nora about her waking up and didn't mention any sex, was doing the repetition behavior outside of view of anyone, and even brought up her waking state to Mary's blank face. All of this was before he learned he had anything to answer for with her pregnancy.
It was just something to hang over his head that he couldn't prove or recreate, same as Kevin with Patti.
>>
If there was no threat of cancellation, how many non-filler seasons do you think this show could have that were at least the same quality as 1 and 2?
>>
who /kevindiedforreal/ here? ended on a much too perfect note.

No one could survive that gunshot like he did, he clearly bled out.
>>
>>63463498
Because we don't know whether or not Matt lost his mind and hallucinated his wife waking up

Its even set up like that when they're in the car and he talks for her. We don't know if hese frustrated by her silence or if hese actually lost it
>>
>>63461931
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/damon-lindelof-on-the-leftovers-im-fighting-for-the-life-of-the-show

>Damon Lindelof: The answer to your question is no. There was no intentionality in the finale of, "We're going to go full-bore magical." The magical thinking aspect of the show is for me, a very interesting conversation because the Departure happened. So the rules that govern this world inherently have to accept that the Departure happened. So if you're talking about a show like "Lost" that is inherently supernatural/magical in its DNA — although we had to do a certain tap dance in the first season of that show and say, "No, no, it's Michael Crichton. Don't worry; the show's not going to get too weird," for a variety of reasons where I wish I could have been more honest at that point, but there's always a game to be played — there's no game to be played, the show is what it is. It's interesting to me that people watch "The Leftovers" and they don't want it to be magical. They want the Departure to have happened and everything else to be entirely grounded in reality. I embrace that presentation. But I also feel like, the rule that we've set for ourselves as storytellers, more or less, is that if 2 percent of the world's population disappeared, 2 percent of the show should be magical, and the other 98 percent should be grounded. That said, the story that was Kevin's primary story, his arc over the entire course of the season, was that he was being haunted by Patti Levin.
>>
>>63463553
Could probably squeeze out one season more dealing with the cult in Miracle
>>
>>63463574
The question became, for us as writers, is she real or is she a figment of Kevin's imagination? Is he having a psychotic break, as Laurie describes? Is there any truth to this? Is that the actual Patti, or is that Kevin's psyche? We had to decide as writers. It would be bullshit for me to say to you, (idiot voice) "Well, uh, there's different, uh, potential interpretations of that." We know. We have intentionality, but I am not going to say in an interview, "This is what it was." That's really the way that I feel about the show whole cloth.

I'd be very curious to wonder what you think those areas of an out-and-out, absolute 100 percent, "We're in a magical realm now" are. I could probably case by case go, talk about the discussions we had in the writers room about how some of those things could have happened: how Kevin could have survived getting shot by John Murphy. As opposed to what didn't happen in the room, "Well, you can't kill Kevin Garvey now, because he's the third coming of Jesus Christ." That didn't happen. One person's magical thinking is another person's cynicism. There are some people, yourself included, who believe that Isaac's ability to determine that Meg's mom had walnuts in her final meal is proof of the supernatural, and I am here to tell you I strongly disagree. That isn't to say that Isaac isn't legit. The writers room has made a clear determination on that as well. But that's like saying David Copperfield can walk through the Great Wall of China because we all saw it happen. It's a really good trick.
>>
>>63463569
>We don't know if hese frustrated by her silence or if hese actually lost it
I didn't see that as anything but boredom. I do that in the car without a coma-wife.
>>
Lots of places to go in s3...

Mary. Lots of Mary. Balloons in the Hotel.

Matt and John sitting down for a talk now that she's awake.

Erika's hearing loss (when John shot Virgil?)

Sane, happy Kevin.

Tommy sees his dad for the first time in 2 years.

Azrael. Geography club. Other research and all the other cults.

Plenty of room to surprise.
>>
>>63454530
sad as fuck
>>
>>63463618
I'm hoping we'll get more info about Mary in the hotel. I imagine she was having her own adventures in that realm like Kevin was
>>
>>63463577
This season literally killed the GR of s1. In s1, I could happily explain everything they did. It's the embodiment of Absurdism and I actually thought they were the least pretentious depiction of that philosophy possible. It kills me when people claim they were the worst part of s1... They fucking made the show for me.

And then s2 was Damon going "well, we never explicitly said out loud what or why they do any of that stuff so let's just pretend they don't know either and make then menacing and violent"

The whole point of the GR is that they are blank slates that invite death. They are whiteboards that the townsfolk (and the viewer) project onto. Some see menace, some see harmless "ghosts" as they were called in s1. It's nothing they do. They intentionally give nothing- no feedback, no words, when doing their "job" of serving as reminders that, as s2 put it, the mechanism for love and connection are weaknesses.
>>
>>63463593
Why did the writers have to decide whether Patti was real or not? They dealt with it perfectly and it is still ambiguous.
>>
>>63461931

> ambiguity of the supernatural stuff
> millions of people vanished rapture-style

Yeah, you're just a faggot. Supernatural/spiritual elements were in the show from the beginning. We don't see the big picture rise of the anti-Christ stuff, but that doesn't mean that world is completely normal. Kevin's purgatory was incredibly tastefully done, and magic elements are rare enough to retain their significance. The show is pitch perfect magical realism.
>>
>The character of Matt wasn't even going to be in the show until Eccleston approached Lindelof and requested to play him
BASED
>>
>>63462598

> mediums exist
> singing in public isn't terrifying/cathartic

Walking Pleb pls go
>>
>>63463954
Except you can see that Megan is practically a rogue agent who branched off from what they do, she was confronted about it by the GR
>>
>>63463954
Meg's GR was not mainstream GR. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think the majority of the GR are still like they were in season 1.
>>
>>63462598
>singing to return
The biggest laugh I've had recently came from "because it's fucking stupid."
>>
>>63464032
>watching a show where religion and faith are a big topic while being an edgy atheist
Evie please
>>
>>63455364
The last half of the season was strong. Shit, the whole season was strong.
May give it to A Most Powerful Enemy into International Assassin, but I Live Here Now was very satisfying. I honestly need more of this show. I need more of Lindelof's emotional, cathartic writing. Need Kevin and John's bro moments.
>>
>>63464113

Implying that communicating with the dead isn't witchcraft

Heretic pls
>>
>>63464107

Kevin's self-awareness made that scene
>>
The show is taking it really slow but you can see two sides polarizing.

One is centered around Garvey who is some sort of a prophet figure. In the last couple of scenes of the season you can see his "congregation". A nice touch is also the black guy tending to Kevin's wounds which had a really biblical feel to it.
This side represents "purpose" and life.

The other side is in S1 generally represented by the GR, who in the very end stage a chaotic event. In S2 they again close the season with a chaotic event but this time it's an offshoot of GR lead by Megan. She was presented with sinister vibes to her but you can tell her attitude is that life is meaningless now. There is no hope, people should just give up (pretending) and languish.

I'd like to see the show develop this to some interesting conclusion but I feel it will give us more character studies and just get cancelled before all the pieces add up to something.
>>
Am I the only one who can't stand the vagueness and cliffhangers?
>>
>>63464303
I want to see more, it's like Jack and LOST. Kevin's special somehow and we know he's special somehow, but we don't know why exactly.

I honestly hope HBO doesn't cancel this show. The critics are loving it, if they move the timeslot it can actually compete and be viable.
>>
>>63464447
I'm used to it from LOST so not really
>>
So Kevin survived trying to drown himself via the most incredible timing ever, survived drinking some kind of dangerous hallucinogen and being buried in the ground for eight hours, AND survived being shot in the chest point blank and lying in his own blood without help for hours? I'm sorry, that is just a bridge too far. Otherwise though, great episode.
>>
>>63464675
The island isn't done with him yet man
>>
i love leftovers for one reason. it taught me who Damon Lindelof was. He is known for hyped up clusterfucks such as

>lost
>tomorrowland
>world war z
>star trek into darkness
>cowboys vs aliens
>prometheus

now ill be able to avoid anything he makes in the future. jesus christ i hate his writing style. if it wasnt for justin theroux and the music in the leftovers i wouldve stopped watching after a few episodes
>>
>>63465060
>He doesn't like based Matt
That teaches me who you are m8

A pleb
>>
>>63465060
Completely ignoring Holy Wayne and Matt.
>>
>>63460908
>its a jill stays inside the house for every episode season
>>
>>63455148
You drank the water didn't ya faggot
>>
>>63465368
She went to church to scream FUCK once.
Although one wonders why school in Jarden hasn't started by October. Was she supposed to be a senior in s1?
>>
>>63455148
>>63465060
It's been more than 5 years now and people STILL don't understand L O S T and are so salty about it they come into threads about another show and complain. Truly, we live in an incredible time.
>>
>>63465060
>>63455148
It's been more than 5 years and people still don't understand L O S T. They are still so salty about it they come into threads that are not about the show and talk shit. Truly, we live in an incredible time.
>>
I remember reading some interview with Lindelof about how the finale was supposed to make people go "ah-ha" with the first scene of season 2 (cave woman story).

Did you guys see any connection, because I still don't understand what that scene meant.
>>
every time the fucking magazine is brought up i shit myself

just looking at it makes me feel uneasy
>>
>>63467206
I may have read the same interview, I remember it more like we'd have an idea by the time we finished the season rather than in the finale itself. And we had "Orphan's Well" and "our cave collapsed" in International Assassin. I think that's as close to ah-ha as anything.
>>
>>63467206
Huh I don't know, I'll have to think more about it.

>>63467214
There have been a lot of allusions to the content in that particular issue in the show. It's pretty cool, but it's something I want to know more about. I want to know more about this journey Kevin needs to go on. His work isn't finished yet.
I seriously need more of this show.
>>
>>63467206
Maybe something about the Plato's allegory of the cave and the understanding of the new (post-Departure) world. Like Jarden is the prisoner and there's this world that they are ignoring it. Meg showed them the exit and the people are changed forever, for good or for bad. That's my initial thoughts about it anyway.
>>
>>63467206
Or maybe it's the concept of Jarden itself. The world is destroyed, but not Jarden. That doesn't put Jarden in a better position because after sometime Jarden will join those trapped in the cave. More initial thoughts.
>>
>>63467206
Bookends.
> Kevin’s girlfriend, Nora Durst (Carrie Coon), lost and then recovered her adopted baby in a wrenching slow-motion sequence (silent but with music, a Leftovers specialty) whose purity of feeling evoked late-period silent cinema; its aesthetic peak was an overhead shot of Nora covering her child with her body against the onrushing crowd, an image that rhymed with one from the season’s opening sequences, which flashed back to prehistoric times to show a mother surviving a cave collapse and expending every last iota of her own flagging energy to protect her infant, until the snakebite poison in her bloodstream finally killed her. (The opening, "Axis Mundi," was also directed by Leder.)
>>
>>63454795
I almost thought he was gonna stop singing cuz he felt like he was lying to himself
>>
does GR have an endgame?
>>
>>63460806
ugh no. fucking bride of chuckie looking bitch
>>
>>63461132
what is that dudes hairstyle called
>>
>>63460204
Yeah I'm thinking a season 3 might spend a lot of time in n Australia. There's plenty of unanswered questions.

How did the guy from Family Matters know about the walnuts? What did Meg's mom say? Who is bridge/karaoke man? Why the earthquakes? Who is tower guy sending letters too? What are the dudes from MIT up to? What clowns are behind the demon explanation? His many other cast members of Perfect Strangers faked their departure?
>>
File: lindelof.jpg (58 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
lindelof.jpg
58 KB, 800x600
Why is Lindelof such a shit writer? Didn't you faggots learn your lesson from Lost? The Leftovers is just like that, except stupider. It's the flavor of the week for pseudointellectual dipshits to feel like they're smarter than they really are because "they understand"...
>>
>>63469103
>How did the guy from Family Matters know about the walnuts?
He was really psychic.
>What did Meg's mom say?
Nothing important.
>Who is bridge/karaoke man?
Aussie Jesus "David Burton"
>Why the earthquakes?
Fracking and/or divine intervention.
>Who is tower guy sending letters too?
Aussie Jesus "David Burton"
>What are the dudes from MIT up to?
Scales and detectors and shit.
>What clowns are behind the demon explanation?
Some other school, probably Yale.
>His many other cast members of Perfect Strangers faked their departure?
Just Cousin Larry.
>>
Anyone else fucking tired of Meg and her aloof attitude? She never says anything worth hearing.

I preferred Patty as the resident bitch. She was a leader.
>>
>>63469203
>pseudointellectual dipshits

projection
>>
>>63469532
This. I don't hate Meg but Patti>>>>Meg
>>
>>63469532
>aloof
How is Meg aloof?
>>
>>63462848

how did it stay lit that long with no one hitting?
>>
>>63454685
does he get to have 2 gfs now?
>>
>>63470395

He can't sleep with Jill dummy.
>>
>>63469532
>aloof
Holy fuck grandpa isn't it way past bedtime
>>
>>63462598

No there aren't, there are two categories of psychic

The charlatans who know full well they are incapable of communicating with any variety of spirit world and are duping gullible fools out of money.

And the fantasists who truly believe in their ability to communicate with spirits and take the money of other fools in exchange for their hocus-pocus.

One is a con man and the other is deluded.

Either way you are a fool.
>>
>>63470028
>distant, detached, unfriendly, antisocial, unsociable, avoidant, remote, unapproachable, formal, stiff, withdrawn, reserved, unforthcoming, uncommunicative, unsympathetic
>>
>>63470446
What? Can't handle the word aloof?
>>
>>63470446

How is "Aloof" an archaic term?
>>
>>63470586
>mfw I lost my job because my manager didn't like me being aloof
>>
>>63470639

Sure it wasn't for being apoof?
>>
>>63470667

kek
>>
>>63470667
What?
>>
>>63470619
>archaic
Settle down Methuselah.
>>
Did Nora make to woman who stole he baby disappear?
>>
File: tl_201_63015_rg_360.jpg (145 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
tl_201_63015_rg_360.jpg
145 KB, 670x377
>>63454530
I don't mind the rest of the season, of which we got nice closure of. But pic related was just typical Lindelof at his worst, inserting something mysterious and then not paying it off AT ALL in any real sense. Sure, you could argue that it's 100% metaphorical, but at that point it just seems artsy fartsy as fuck, I mean even 2001 has SOME sort tangible function with the ape scene.
>>
>>63471228

I liked it, was a helluva way to start the season, we need more proto sapien shenanigans
>>
>>63471228
>I mean even 2001 has SOME sort tangible function with the ape scene.
It was fine. We later saw that the spot was a conduit through the worlds and Patti referred to the cave even though her and Kevin didn't know anything about it. It set up the place and the theme of seeking safety there, and dovetailed with the Garveys taking in another baby & the snatching scene >>63458776 >>63467961
>>
>>63458103
Actually, on Kevin/Patty, I think they're playing up Kevin to be something like a shaman, and his journey is to bridge the world of the living and the dead. I really liked all of this plotline.

The sleepwalking thing is fine, and I loved how it played into the mystery of his situation. Is it divine or magically induced? Or is he mentally ill? I kind of wish they left it more open at the end.

And on the last point, I absolutely agree. The GR is not a sexy cult, and people would NOT join a cult that required constant silence.

Overall I think the plotting was average/above average.
>>
>>63471228
He knows his audience is sufficiently braindead to defend whatever he does. I mean if they haven't learned by now hes a hack, they aren't going to.

Besides, the only point was to show the region had been seismically active for thousands of years.
>>
>>63471315
>we need more proto sapien shenanigans
don't get me wrong, I love the concept, tying in history with modern day plots is my jam, but it needs to be done right
>>
>>63471550
You really need to climb down out of whatever asshole you've crawled inside.
>>
File: the shot.jpg (162 KB, 1649x920) Image search: [Google]
the shot.jpg
162 KB, 1649x920
Dat fucking shot thoooough
>>
>>63471228
it's basically copying kubrick

the earthquakes being the monolith
>>
>>63471841

>Littlelest Hobo: The New Generation

Fucking dogbro, where the fuck are you going...come back ;__;
>>
>>63471841
Leftovers fans think this is le epin cinematography? lol
>>
>>63462598
>>63454795
anyone else got mulholland drive vibes from watching that? maybe it's because I associate the actor with that movie
>>
File: 1417953126446.gif (498 KB, 262x200) Image search: [Google]
1417953126446.gif
498 KB, 262x200
>>63464999
>>
File: Leftovers s02e10 dogbro pls.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
Leftovers s02e10 dogbro pls.webm
3 MB, 900x506
>>63471841
>>
>>63472719
love it
>>
>>63454530
It was a really good finale, I didn't realise it was the last episode until I came here.

Personally, the season on a whole... I didn't like episodes being just about one character, in fact I hated it.
But, I'd still score it highly, it was the producers prerogative n' all that.
>>
>>63472078
Why? Because people were singing on a stage?
>>
>>63472916
It sucks when you don't like a character, which in my case is a lot.
>>
I love this show. Will I like LOST? I've been spoiled on a few things, like the main character dying.
>>
>>63454530
I watched only the first episode, but it was fucking boring. Did they ever tell why did they disappear?
>>
>>63473112
You will never get an answer for all of the bullshit on the island, it is nothing more just a fucking people living together and crying, and dating with paranormal elements.
>>
>>63454530
2% of the worlds population disappeared, I had to recheck that, I've seen season 1 & 2 but couldn't recall what figure.
Mathematically why would this small American town be the only one were no one departed?
The numbers don't add up.
DROPPED
>>
>>63473139
Nope. Then for 19 episodes, lindelof uses the disapearening as justification for everything that happens.
>>
File: nora.png (110 KB, 375x345) Image search: [Google]
nora.png
110 KB, 375x345
>it is a 'Where's my mind' episode again
>>
>>63459185
That's how I understood it too but this is also not a bad explanation>>63458579
>>
Did any animals depart?
>>
Season 1 was better but I love the fact Matt was happy/ his wife not a vegetable state no more. Uplifting, I do like happy endings usually.
I'm soppy in that way.
Sometimes some things don't suit the happy ending formula and then I feel the opposite, I will say that.

(I'm sick of seeing street signs)
>>
>>63474125
That scene was horrifying.
>>
>>63474719
refresh my memory
>>
>>63474765
Pretty sure it was when Nora walked in on her house with replicas of her family members placed by the GR
>>
>>63474790
oh yeah
that was creepy as shit
>>
>>63472719
Not even the dog wanted to stay in Miracle?
>>
>>63472972
Justin Theroux and super surreal and the purple colors more like
>>
File: The.Leftovers.S01E10.2.webm (3 MB, 1912x1072) Image search: [Google]
The.Leftovers.S01E10.2.webm
3 MB, 1912x1072
>there are people itt that prefer Jill over Nora
>>
Wait, people actually think Kev is immortal?

This is set up perfectly for me..um I mean Lindelof to kill him off next season
>>
Should season 3 be another Miracle season, or a time jump out of the town?
>>
Since this is probably the last season

I want to say something I forgot to say when episode 1 aired

The whole idea of Miracle Park is great
>>
>>63470824
I thought this too, but there's not enough information to clarify, as of yet anyway.
>>
>>63474665
I don't think so.
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.