[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to get into this series before the miniseries starts next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: The_X-Files_title_logo[1].png (124 KB, 3000x1704) Image search: [Google]
The_X-Files_title_logo[1].png
124 KB, 3000x1704
Trying to get into this series before the miniseries starts next month.

I know what the gist of what the show is about, but haven't actually seen any episodes. Is it worth getting into? Considering it's so goddamn long I wouldn't wanna waste my time.
>>
Alien Conspiracy, Monster of the Week, massive drop in quality post season 5. Loss of main cast members who phone it in. Lot of filler trash. Lot of unanswered questions and plots that were dropped or make no sense at all.

First half of series 9/10, second half of series 4/10 will watch miniseries but wouldn't rewatch the main series.
>>
>>63451612

Good to know, thanks.

So now I'm more at a loss whether to go ahead and invest time into this or not.
>>
File: Dreamland.jpg (33 KB, 761x429) Image search: [Google]
Dreamland.jpg
33 KB, 761x429
>>63449987

Yes its great late night viewing.

1-2 are very comfy, some classic episodes, finding its footing

3-5 are the sweet spot, very consistent

6 is uneven but has a few all time GOAT episodes

7 is even more uneven but still has a couple GOATs

Don't follow the episode guides people post, theyre inaccurate.
>>
>>63452744

First couple times: Ohh shit, it's a Samantha episode. It's goin' down!

After that: Ugh. Shit, it's a Samantha episode.
>>
>>63452744
>it's a mulder's sister is alive episode
>>
what are the best episodes to watch? I don't want to waste my time watching shit episodes
>>
File: large.jpg (23 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
23 KB, 500x376
>>63449987
I just finished the series recently. Fantastic, easily in my top 3. There's a point in time somewhere around season 5-6 where there's a bunch of shitty monster of the week episodes in a row. You can make it, trust me. I quit watching for like a year and a half, and the very next episode was fantastic, kept up in quality after that aside from episodes here and there. I don't dislike the added cast members nearly as much as some X-Files fans, so like others said, you may not like it past a certain point; but I certainly did. This show gave me a new appreciation for Robert Patrick.
>>
>>63452971

I don't want to waste mine picking out episodes that might appeal to you out of 202
>>
>>63452606
No problem, I would watch it if I had never seen it before its just a big investment to rewatch, and despite the fact there are many comfy episodes I would definitely rewatch, I would never probably devote the time to the entire series again unless it was like 30 years from now and I forgot. The mystery is half the enjoyment.

>>63452744
I don't even remember it being retconned, I got so lost, probably because I took a year break after season 7 because of how annoyed I was with the quality dropping.

All that shit honestly made no sense, the black tar, the bounty hunters, the prehistoric alien monsters that turn into greys by swimming in nuclear reactors? None of that shit made sense.

Also, side note: The X-Files has one of the worst series finales of all time, that better be saved by this miniseries
>>
>>63453424
Did you watch the 1998 movie? The show does explain all of that, but the movie explains the black tar best. The swimming in nuclear reactors thing was all about temperature control. It swam in the water system that I assumed was used to cool the reactor. Either way, it was explained that the alien needed someplace like that to molt, basically.
>>
File: 1449433615998.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449433615998.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
This is an interesting topic that I'd love to conduct an experiment with, OP, if you're willing. The result will be quite rewarding if you stick with it.

The crux of it is this: about half of the x files is an alien abduction conspiracy, and the other half are Un related, monster of the week episodes in which conflicts are more or less resolved by the end of the episode

This leads to an interesting crossroads: some say that the main plot episodes aren't worth watching. The writers by the end of the series have clearly written themselves into multiple wholes that just go on unanswered

I personally think it'd be worth it for you just to exclusively watch the monster of the week episodes. I'm not above saying that there are some great alien abduction episodes, but I'd love to see what you'd think if you skipped them, and only watched them after the other, filler episodes
>>
File: mitch-pileggi09.jpg (16 KB, 500x653) Image search: [Google]
mitch-pileggi09.jpg
16 KB, 500x653
>>63453719
Do not do this. Pileggi is criminally absent from most episodes not pertaining to the storyline.
>>
File: obama skinner scully mulder.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
obama skinner scully mulder.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>63453719
makes some sense but

>>63453981

this is a good point

Also there is a good deal of character development amongst the ridiculousness
>>
I watched the first 2 episodes the other night and enjoyed it. I really loved that the second episode ends with nothing resolved, the bad guys winning and the protagonists in a worse place than they started. You really don't see shows take those kind of steps to go against audience expectations.
>>
>>63453981
Lemme clarify: I'm not at all saying not to watch the conspiracy episodes: they're great in their own way.

A better way to word my challenge would be: try watching all the conspiracy or motw episodes first, then watch the other ones after. I'll take a while but if you're a neet I believe in u
>>
>>63453981
Yeah, actually, you could probably search IMDB for the episodes that basedMitch is in and just watch those, and have a perfect understanding of the main story without any of the bullshit.

Fuck, someone should check to see if that's true, watching the Mitch-Files might be better than watching the regular show.
>>
>>63454081
I think The X-Files without the MOTW episodes would be 10/10. No storyline episodes jump to memory as being terrible (Not counting the series finale, but they got cancelled by Fox, had to wrap it up quick and they did so with the intention of continuing in the future via movies or other forms), though I wasn't really that invested in them in the first season until the finale. That being said, while there's quite a few shitty MOTW episodes, there's some masterpieces amongst them. I think pure MOTW would be a worse experience overall.
>>
File: 1436928360381.jpg (54 KB, 690x464) Image search: [Google]
1436928360381.jpg
54 KB, 690x464
>>63454148

He is the real human bean of the series. And the real hero.
>>
>>63430018
I've watched one through three. I'm on s4 now. It's pretty enjoyable. Takes about midway through s1 to really find a good tone. Those first four or five eps are pretty rough.
>>
>>63449987
there is absolutely no reason now to watch the entire series.

all the alien conspiracy shit that was supposed to be going on turned out to be a hoax. it was all based on 2012 apocolypse bullshit anyway.
>>
I just finished like the 6th episode and am loving it so far. What season is considered by most to the peak of the show?
>>
>>63454463
Favorite season for me is hard to say. I moreso know them by the plot arcs, and I don't think you want me to talk about that, but you should watch it all anyway. Regardless of the criticisms the later seasons get, they have a large amount of good episodes. People were just upset, understandably, about choices Fox made that led to degradation of certain aspects of the show, but that didn't make the show bad, just different.
>>
>>63454463
I'd say it continues to improve all the way up to the movie and season 6. Obviously the MotW vary from episode to episodes and many of the classics appear in earlier seasons but overall I'd say it peaks around the first movie.
>>
What are the spookiest episodes guys?
>>
>>63454826
From what everyone's saying, I'm guessing the monster of the week episodes are those involving stuff like the jersey devil, lizard man, ect?
>>
>>63455053
Yeah, basically all the episodes that don't explicitly involve the high level government conspiracy to withhold information about aliens, and information regarding the whereabouts of Mulder's sister.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.