[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody remember the time Seanbaby, Kthor Jensen, and others
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 13
File: blazingposter.jpg (76 KB, 500x775) Image search: [Google]
blazingposter.jpg
76 KB, 500x775
Anybody remember the time Seanbaby, Kthor Jensen, and others responded to the AFI's funniest movies of all time list with the Internet Film Laser Squad Funniest Movies of all time list?

http://www.seanbaby.com/ifls/
>>
File: Good_Morning,_Vietnam.jpg (31 KB, 300x467) Image search: [Google]
Good_Morning,_Vietnam.jpg
31 KB, 300x467
>>63438522
>The American Film Institute's List
>#100 - Good Morning Vietnam

>Erik: Good Morning Vietnam wouldn't even make it onto my top 100 WORST comedies of all time - IT'S THAT BAD. Here's the whole movie: Robin Williams tells jokes that clearly aren't funny and then they cut to the other actors laughing uproariously at them. And then at the end, the sad clown cries. Fuck you Robin Williams. This movie, combined with every other movie Robin Williams has ever made, including Bicentennial Man and Patch Adams which I'm counting 100 times each, resulted in the Laser Squad's strict "no Robin Williams" policy. Please note that KThor broke this rule when he included Shakes The Clown on his list.

>Seanbaby: The front of the box is proud that Time magazine called it "...the best military comedy since 'M*A*S*H'..." Way to go, but being the funniest war movie is a lot like being the best looking child molestor. You only won because no one else entered the damn contest, and it probably shouldn't have been held in the first place.

>Kthor: It’s a funny movie about Vietnam. It’s a funny movie that’s not funny about fucking Vietnam. The Vietnam War, one of the biggest tragedies in American history, a pointless military conflict that destroyed a generation and created a climate of divisiveness that nearly tore America apart, causing tens of thousands of American kids in the prime of life to die, go insane, or become addicted to heroin. You know what the sad part is? The war itself probably packed more laughs than this Barry Levinson turdswish.
>>
>>63438551
>The Internet Film Laser Squad's List
>#100 - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

>Seanbaby: The Holy Grail caused some controversy among the Internet Film Laser Squad, and I'm one of the people unexcited about it making the list. It was a funny movie before the Dungeons & Dragons nerds and Arthurian reenactors based an entire civilization around quoting it, and I wish I could ignore all that and concentrate just on the film itself, but they ruined it so badly I can't imagine a world where Monty Python is still funny. And even if my mind could build a perfect little dimension in my head, one of those geeks in the crappy world would find some way to build a warp drive thing and invade my new utopia to hold "The Renaissance Fairre that says NEE!"

>Kthor: I agree that Holy Grail is tainted by the fervent ass-rubbing of high-school students in floor-length capes and fake vampire teeth, but if you can distance yourself from the mental image of anybody who can quote this film, there’s still a couple stand-out scenes in this mess that make me perfectly OK with declaring it the #100 funniest movie ever. Both Meaning of Life and Life of Brian are funnier and less overexposed.
>>
File: nuttyprofessor.jpg (51 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
nuttyprofessor.jpg
51 KB, 353x500
>>63438582
>AFI list
>#99 - The Nutty Professor

>Seanbaby: They shouldn't have counted a movie that was made 10 times better just by adding Eddy Murphy in a grandma suit and having him fart.

>Erik: I like Jerry Lewis movies. But they've all run together in my head so that I can't remember specific details about any of them, or pick one over the other in order to put it onto my top 100 list. I'm sure it's the same for the AFI. So what they should have done here is simply picked the Jerry Lewis movie with the best title. For me, that's Cinderfella. Because of their obsession with laughing at men dressed up as women, I'm really surprised the AFI didn't pick Cinderfella too.

>Kthor: I have a soft spot in my head for Jerry Lewis, and sometimes hulking eight-year-olds come by my desk and put their thumbs in it. That causes spastic brain functions, sort of akin to the spastic brain functions of the dried-up hosewashers at the AFI when they put this perfect example of vintage Jerry Lewis genius so far down on their list. 99 my Luftbaloon!
>>
File: Dogma_(movie).jpg (30 KB, 298x438) Image search: [Google]
Dogma_(movie).jpg
30 KB, 298x438
>>63438848
>IFLS list
>#99 - Dogma

>Seanbaby: Movies starring God drive me crazy. Not because I don't believe in that crap-- I don't believe in Yoda either, and movies about star wars don't drive me crazy. The reason they bug me is because the plot in God movies ends up being a huge waste of time. There's no reason for characters to go through so much trouble when God is there. By the end of the movie He ends up doing crazy god stuff anyway. Remember in The Stand where God had humanity go on an elaborate quest to destroy evil, and when it wasn't working out, he just sent a huge magic hand down to set off a nuclear device? I'm no supreme diety, but I think it would save time if God used His power over time and space to turn all the bad guys into ice cream instead of letting the heroes suffer. In Dogma, when you realize that the chick that created the universe was watching the whole time, it might as well have been Chris Rock waking up and saying, "It was all just a dream!" Or Burt Reynolds getting to the end of the Cannonball Run and realizing that during the entire race, all he had to do was click his heels together to win. Oh, and Kevin Smith, casting Alanis Morissette as God is something a chick would do.

>Kthor: Hi, my name is Kevin Smith. Is that a communion wafer in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? HAR HAR HAR. The best part about this movie is this fat slob dork’s hilarious Marvel Comics version of Catholicism. Looks like all the priestly sperm didn’t make it all the way through his layers of glutinous ass-fat to his brain.

>Erik: I could only remember 80 really funny movies, so I padded my list with twenty comedies nobody else would pick, rendering them - I thought - meaningless. I guess the StompTokyo guys did the same thing, though, because that's the only reason I can think of to explain why they put Dogma on a list of the best comedies of all time. All I can say at this point is that I'm sorry and that #99 should have gone to Clifford.
>>
>>63438866
>AFI list
>#98 - The Court Jester

>Erik: This movie stars Danny Kaye and Basil Rathbone, two of the biggest queers in the entire country at the time this was filmed. That makes The Court Jester sound funnier than it probably is. Danny Kaye later died of cancer, so laugh it up there AFI. In 1956, Court Jester star Angela Lansbury was actually incredibly hot. Now she's a grisly hag. Thanks to this constant reminder that time is turning us all into creatures, The Court Jester is actually more depressing than Brian's Song. The AFI has a pretty weird sense of humor.

>Kthor: I blame this movie for those stupid jester hats that grunge kids were wearing at outdoor rock festivals in 1993-1996 or thereabouts. Damn you, Danny Kaye. And damn you, Dr. Seuss, while I’m on the subject.

>Seanbaby: A classic comedic device is to describe something with two normal adjectives and then one that's off-the-wall wacky. For example, I like women tall, dark, and covered in my sperm. When the Court Jester people used this technique to create their hilarious tagline, the best they could come up with was, "Singing! Dancing! Jousting!"

>Erik: Let's see... singing... dancing... jousting... Well that sou- HUH?!? JOUSTING?!? The shock and comedy of it has caused my monocle to pop out of my eye! I hereby throw myself on the mercy of The Court... Jester, that is!

>Seanbaby: Oops, there goes *my* monocle! AND my top hat!
>>
File: Muppetmovieposter.jpg (699 KB, 1200x1835) Image search: [Google]
Muppetmovieposter.jpg
699 KB, 1200x1835
>>63439215
>IFLS list
>#98 - The Muppet Movie

>Erik: I don't know about this one. Seriously, StompTokyo guys, I felt bad when Jim Henson dropped dead too. But that doesn't make The Muppet Movie any funnier. In fact, it kind of makes it less funny.

>Seanbaby: Nothing's perfect; not even the Calculando Calrissian 2000. The Muppet Movie probably shouldn't have made the Top 100. I like when the little muppet hands get tugged around by the sticks while they talk as much as the next guy, but I can think of things that are funnier. Like jokes. Or talking sandwiches.

>Kthor: I never really viewed the Muppet Movie as a comedy, more like one of those instructional filmstrips that you had to watch in school to tell you to not put glass into your mouth. Too many songs, not enough dongs.
>>
File: Bill Durham.jpg (74 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
Bill Durham.jpg
74 KB, 480x720
>>63439237
>AFI list
>#97 - Bill Durham

>Erik: I'd rather go see x-rays of a malignant tumor in my own colon than watch Bull Durham again.

>Seanbaby: Kevin Costner is Hollywood's most boring actor, and baseball is America's most boring pastime. They must have gotten funding for this movie by pitching it as a sleeping aid for the elderly. I wouldn't have known it was a comedy if the box didn't say so, and I still think it's a typo. They should have known Bull Durham would have been a disaster before Kevin Costner took the first step out of his solid gold built-in-massage trailer. And what madman cast Susan Sarandon as the slut? She's a charming and handsome woman, but she couldn't seduce her way out of a paper bag if it had just gotten out of paper bag prison.

>Kthor: I rented this thinking it was a documentary on the cancer-riddled palates of Kentucky tobacco chewers, replete with long, lingering close-ups of the black, rotten, toothless caves that the inside of their mouths had become, and was sorely disappointed. Kevin Costner grosses me out.
>>
>>63439273
>IFLS list
>#97 - Freaked

>Seanbaby: In Freaked, there's a scene where they throw a mutant kid out of an airplane and he falls thousands of feet to smack into the ground. And every time I'm about to trick myself into thinking I have a sophisticated sense of humor, I catch myself rewinding that scene five hundred times.

>Kthor: Alex Winter may be the neglected comic genius of the 1990s. Freaked is brilliantly stupid, the kind of comedy those two Fangoria stoner guys in the back of the class would make if you handed them a suitcase full of money, PCP and face putty and a 16mm camera. Should be higher on the list.
>>
File: main.jpg (282 KB, 521x636) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
282 KB, 521x636
>>63439300
>AFI list
>#96 - Sons of the Desert

>Seanbaby: In 1930, comedy technology hadn't advanced much past the bonk, and movies like this were innovative. But the only people that would laugh at this movie today had better check with their doctor before they try it. Keeping this movie on the Top 100 Funniest Films list is like Consumer Reports adding Horse Drawn Carriage to their list of Top 100 Greatest Automobiles.

>Erik: The entire cast and crew of 1933's Sons of the Desert are now dead. Once again AFI, HAHAHAHAHA.

>Kthor: Laurel and Hardy. You see, one’s fat, and the other one could fit inside the fat one. This formula would later be repeated in Twins, but only the bottom half of Arnold Schwarzenegger could fit inside Danny DeVito. Curiously, that’s just the way both like it. I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about, but I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that Sons of the Desert is 1) in black & white, unlike Twins and 2) unfunny, like Twins.
>>
File: Brazil.jpg (168 KB, 500x735) Image search: [Google]
Brazil.jpg
168 KB, 500x735
>>63439397
>IFLS list
>#96 - Brazil

>Seanbaby: I always thought George Orwell's 1984 needed a bunch of Monty Python shit. Thanks, Brazil.

>Kthor: Time Bandits is funnier, because it has midgets. Twelve Monkeys is funnier, because it has monkeys. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is funnier, because it has people getting fucked up. The Fisher King is… not funnier, thankfully. Yes, Terry Gilliam, modern society is all crazy! Let’s have a dream sequence! Fag. A couple good sight gags do not a #96 movie make. Sorry, kids.
>>
This is some next level shitposting right here.
>>
>>63439577
They originally wrote this, what, 15, 16 years ago? I'm not sure they would write some of this stuff today.
>>
File: Silver Streak.jpg (61 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
Silver Streak.jpg
61 KB, 350x500
>>63439428

>AFI list
>#95 - Silver Streak

>Erik: This movie stars Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. During production, Variety reported that Silver Streak would also feature a guest appearance by either one of them doing or saying something funny. I guess that didn't work out though.

>Seanbaby: I don't think I would even include Silver Streak in my list of top 100 Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder Movies About Trains. In fact, if they had both strapped shoes to their knees and gone golfing, it wouldn't have made my list of Top 100 Dorf Movies. And in case you thought it was impossible to recognize the degrees of hilarity between different videos of a midget impersonator falling over, read this scholarly analysis of Dorf Goes Auto Racing from an Amazon.com user:
>"First off, let me say that this was a hilarious video, just as all of the others in the Dorf Series. Having said that, I must say I was a little disappointed when I compare this to Dorf Goes Fishing." What he's trying to say is that he doesn't care how hilariously short you are, if you're not in a rowboat, fuck you.
>>
File: smokey.jpg (52 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
smokey.jpg
52 KB, 356x500
>>63439650
>IFLS list
>#95 - Smokey and the Bandit

>Seanbaby: Most of this movie is spoken in Trucker, so some of the jokes in the movie are hiding inside secret code. Which makes it a lot like Shakespeare with moustaches.

>Erik: Singing! Dancing! Trucking! At last, a film that deserves its place on the list. Jerry Reed is the thinking man's Mac Davis. In case you think you're too sophisticated for Smokey and The Bandit, consider this: It's co-Coen Brother Ethan Coen's favorite movie, and he's much smarter than you are.

>Seanbaby: You made that up about this being Ethan Coen's favorite movie, didn't you?

>Erik: I... yes.

>Kthor: According to the Internet Movie Database, “Georgia Trooper” was played by “Ronnie Gay.” That’s funny right there, and we’re still in the credits! Smokey and the Bandit conforms to one central tenet of comedy: the film must, in some way, be about getting beer.
>>
What
>>
I thought you'd get further than this OP
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.