[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did you faggots tell me this was bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: 1402025887437.jpg (196 KB, 960x1234) Image search: [Google]
1402025887437.jpg
196 KB, 960x1234
Why did you faggots tell me this was bad?
>>
Its not conservative enough
>>
>>63436426
its not bad but too many people hype it up as the best mindfuck ever, its a cool twist but its not GOAT TWIST OMG. the prestiges twist was better
>>
>>63436426
It's not bad, just undeserving of the pedestal faggots give it.
>>
>>63436426
liberal propaganda
>>
File: Memelan.jpg (58 KB, 465x317) Image search: [Google]
Memelan.jpg
58 KB, 465x317
>>63436650
what is memento
>>
>>63436426
Because it's popular and liking popluar thinks is passé.
>>
>>63436745
/thread
>>
>>63436650
>its a cool twist but its not GOAT TWIST OMG
>omg twist contest

you cant measure movies worth by the wow factor of their twists.

youre lame as fuck.
>>
>>63436886
are you actually retarded? i said it was good. Im saying that too many people hype it up and go crazy over the twist when its really not that crazy.
>>
>>63436426

/tv/ is a contrarian faggot board.
they actually love this movie because its made by the Finch, but they want to keep it a secret.

its very well done, editing is snappy as fuck, everythings tightly interwoven, cinematography is top tier, CGI is great and tasteful, has good acting and its better than the book (author himself said so)

so there. oh, it has very high rewatch value too.
>>
I always thought the negative stigma came from edgy people started idolizing Tyler Durden and started subscribing to his philosophy like he was some prophet. Of course the book and the movie kind of suggest otherwise.
>>
>>63436914
>go crazy over the twist when its really not that crazy.

you think a beta as fuck guy realising he was fucking his friend unknowingly and realising too he was total badass that built a small army of terrorists is a mild twist?
>>
>>63436972
They didn't get that one of the points of the film was making fun of that edgy apathetic and somewhat coward mindset.
>>
>>63437049
no i find it a good twist, its cool and it fits, however its not the ultimate twist that people say it is.
>>
>>63437078

thing is, its a twist that sits gracefully in the context of a well crafted movie. you dont see that often. some movies only have the twist and are remembered for it alone (shamalang). to hell with your twist merit bullshit, youre fixed on analyzing one single aspect of it like an autist, see the whole package.
>>
You can only post below this comment if you saw this in the cinema in 1999 as the director intended.
>>
File: 1403493948631.jpg (36 KB, 707x540) Image search: [Google]
1403493948631.jpg
36 KB, 707x540
It's decent but plebs consider it life-changing.
>>
>>63437067
Not only that but it tried to portray what can happen when you get enough angry people who feel like they've been jobbed their entire lives under the tutelage of someone who speaks their language and has charisma. And it doesn't portray the outcome in a positive light.
>>
>>63437147
no actually youre fixating on one part of my post like an autist. are you just shitposting because i didnt say anything wrong about the movie and even said it was good
>>
>>63436426
People are afraid to admit they like it (to themselves) because most people watch this when they're edgy teenagers and look up to Tyler, and they consider that an embarrassing past that they've grown out of.

That said, I watched it again recently and it has lost most of its oomph for me. Maybe just because I know the entire plot inside out so there's nothing new or exciting about it anymore, but I doubt I'll ever bother rewatching it again.
>>
File: 1449049306276.jpg (2 MB, 1995x4839) Image search: [Google]
1449049306276.jpg
2 MB, 1995x4839
>>63436426
You were misled by plebs.
>>
>>63436650
It was the twist that ruined it for me desu.
>>
>>63437493
jesus christ, what a pleb list
>>
>>63436426

It's not bad, just over rated
>>
>>63437474
I'll admit it, I love that movie. The book is very good too, if not just a bit different. Like you said, it's the idolization of Tyler Durden where a lot of people get it twisted. I think some people look at his "jobs we hate to spend money we don't have to impress people we don't like" speech and just leave it at that without giving a moment's thought what the movement turned into. They don't really get that it's partially a cautionary tale about putting too much trust in people like him.
>>
>>63436426
This is not a movie about an actual fight club
>>
>>63436971
pretty much this 2bh fäm.

I'd add that a lot of people like it but are annoyed because of the le edgy teen fanboys who come out of it thinking Tyler's a genius
>>
>>63437603
Just what a pleb would think.
>>
Jack should of just stolen some ambien and lived normally.
>>
>>63436971

Yes, I agree. I am a die-hard Fincher fan and I went through a phase of not giving Fight Club the credit it was due probably because I didn't like how popular it has gotten with the "Hot Topic" crowd. Or maybe I was embarrassed by how much I looked up to it during my teenage, rebellious, Hot Topic phase. It's like a song that is actually fucking amazing but it's overplayed on the radio and the people who like it are lame and like it for the wrong reasons.

Either way, I was with most people who probably wouldn't put it on their top 20 list but I've been coming around to it more and more. It's such a unique piece of cinema, there's absolutely nothing like it. It's like an entirely new genre. Fincher has always been great at translating literature to the screen, he creates literary cinema. His movies are densely packed with information, like a book, but they're also sleek and fast paced like a movie. He totally recreated the weird, scatter brained nature of the book. It's amazing.

So much of how people think of movies is based on the circumstances of how they hear about it and unfortunately Fight Club was marketed for the UFC crowd. Just look at that poster, it looks retarded. The marketing was shitty and people didn't know what to expect. People still don't seem to get it, someone up top said it was "liberal propaganda". It was a satire! If it had been marketed like Social Network and released maybe 5 or 10 years later I think it would be remembered as one of the most important films of the past 20 years (which I think it is anyways).
>>
>>63437649
not even adressing the rest, just this:
>Adam Sandler movies
>not pleb
>>
>>63436971
/thread
>>
>>63438627
Adam Sandler's comedic acting abilities are only appreciated by true patricians.
>>
>>63438446
>90% are mainstream Hollywood garbage
you are the only pleb here
>>
>>63436426
I saw it twice opening night, 4 times the first weekend and 8 times in the theatre; wasnt me.
>>
>>63438655
dude, stop memeing, he's literally unwatchable
>>
>>63437493
>the "movies /tv/ talks exclusively about" list
>>
>>63438661
>>63438681
Even reddit is not as pleb as you. You're not patrician enough to understand the genius of Adam Sandler or the Hobbit Trilogy.
>>
>>63436426
it's not bad but it's no where near as good as it's made out to be. it's babby's first plot twist
>>
>>63438786
nice meme
>>
>>63437067
The criticism of the degenerate consumer society is still valid tho, I don't see any irony or fun involved in that. If anything, the plot twist was unnecessary and took away a lot from the strength of criticism.
>>
I always thought that those who think the plot twist was the essence of the film are missing the point. That just makes the criticism of capilatism and consmerism half-hearted and weak, I hated the movie for that.
>>
>>63436675
It's literally anti-liberal propaganda
>>
>>63439613

It wasn't though because it showed that you can't be a mindless corporate drone and you can't be an anarchist who wants to burn everything down. The solution is finding a place somewhere in the middle.

Throughout the movie the hypocrisy of Tyler's movement is shown in several places. On the bus the Narrator looks at an ad for underwear and says "Is that what a man is supposed to look like?", criticizing society's portrayal of the ideal man as slim and muscular. Ironically, Tyler matches this description perfectly. Another one just off the top of my head is when Bob dies Tyler regards it as necessary for the greater cause, and sees Bob as expendable. In this sense he and the idea of degenerate consumer society are the same, where whether it be a customer or a follower, they're just helping you get to what you want in the end.

The criticism of "degenerate consumer society" was a theme of the movie definitely, but it wasn't the whole movie at all and it's ironic that people took only that portion of the movie's message to heart especially after the how the movie ended.
>>
>>63439613
That's not the point though. All the things that Tyler taught them, their plan to change everything just made everything else around them a thousand times worse.

>the plot twist was unnecessary and took away a lot from the strength of criticism.
No, it was entirely necessary to get Palahniuk's point across. The story never says Tyler didn't occasionally make any valid points worth thinking about. It rather emphasized that life doesn't have to be a bottomless pit of emptiness because you feel lost in a consumer culture and don't know what your purpose is in life. It didn't have to undermine Tyler's points to underline the inherent danger of taking anger and confusion in a groupthink setting too far.

The point starts to make much more sense when it dawns on you that Tyler is not someone you're supposed to idolize. The people who stop the movie right after Tyler's consumer culture speech are the ones who wound up missing the point.
>>
>>63439730
Come to think of, you got a point there too, i remember reading some critic on the film from a psychoanalitic point of view, saying basicly that the film is about growing up to become a man Tyler portraying as the adolescent, destructive side who gets beaten finally by the grown-up, responsible character of Edward Norton in the end. Still, as an anarchist movie it's a bit of fail because of this and that makes me sad, but I always loved those parts the best when the film makes fun of the consumer society.
>>
>>63439682
it's literally the good guy blows up the big bad corporations tier

liike Mr Robot
>>
>>63439874
>Still, as an anarchist movie it's a bit of fail because of this and that makes me sad
That means it got its point across perfectly.
>>
>>63436426
i like the luciferianism theory
>>
>>63437493
Tarantino, patrician AHAHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAH
is there a bigger kek, nice bait
>>
>>63436426

It's popular so it's bad.
>>
Same reason people say Napoleon Dynamite is bad.

Obnoxious fanbase ruined it for everyone.
>>
>>63439730
well, that guy was huge as fuck desu. Tyler was much smaller and just ripped.

But, you may have a point.
>>
>>63438655
i fucking love adam sandler. Dont care what anyone says
>>
>>63440572
Then you are lost without hope. I mean, there is absolutely no redeeming factor in honestly liking Adam Sandler movies. You can't even say his movies are so bad it's good, they are just bad, like horribly vomit-inducing kill-yourself-tier 100% pure bad.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.