[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he do the right thing, /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: mookie.jpg (10 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
mookie.jpg
10 KB, 304x166
Did he do the right thing, /tv/?
>>
>>63432211
No, no one did the right thing except maybe Da Mayor.
>>
At the end of the movie? Yes. Not throughout the whole movie, but throwing the trashcan was definitely the right thing.
>>
As a black man, I was disappointed Mookie resorted to an irrational act, however in the context of the film I understand its purpose.
>>
>>63432211
No, and spike is a fucking retard if the point of the movie is that the italian guy should have been nice to all those psychotic assholes.
>>
>>63432211
Only nigger movie that I ever actually liked.
>>
>>63433748
>nigger
come on bro, you're better than that surely :)
>>
>>63432211
Literally no one did the right thing in the movie. Everyone fucked up, and we saw the results.
>>
>>63433716

damn dude do you really think that was the point of the movie?

thats pretty fuckin stupid if you do

i honestly dont know if he did the right thing

in film class my teacher said he threw the trash can so as to divert the rage of the rioters to the building as opposed to the italian guys

idk if that was really what he was thinking but it makes sense because i was caught off guard when i saw the movie by what mookie did, but this explanation makes sense of what appeared to be mookie's moral beliefs about the situation

if its true i say he did do the right thing

but in general i would say that everybody in the movie has some issues, its a tragedy of a movie

im not sure i understand what sort of political message or themes its supposed to express, but thats not how i judge movies, i judge them by how well the cinematography and acting make me feel immersed and engaged, and this movie is really really good by that standard
>>
>>63432211
No but Smiley did.
>>
>>63433716
I get his point where it's like if you can't reason with your oppressor then your only options are to either abandon your goals or do whatever it takes to achieve them, even if it means violence. But since violence is inherently destructive in the end you might cause so much chaos and pain that achieving your goals might not even be worth it e.g. the picture only getting put up after the pizzaria has been completely destroyed.

Only problem with that is how the fuck were they being oppressed by not having negroes put up on the wall. It's an italian place, it's not even a matter of favoritism, it's just about atmosphere. Having an italian-american wall goes with the italian theme, wanting there to be dindus there makes no fucking sense and is just pandering bullshit.
>>
File: enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg (69 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg
69 KB, 501x585
Yes, he successfully drove a divisive wedge into his community, fanning the flames of hatred between the races.
>>
File: 1449272992902.gif (3 MB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
1449272992902.gif
3 MB, 190x200
>>63433799
>getting upset at racial slurs
>>
no he didnt do the right thing.

no one did.
>>
>>63434096
You could say he "dindu nuffin".
>>
>>63434045
Amazing that people still don't know this is against 4chan rules. Just one of those rules the mods never enforce.
>>
File: Hiss.jpg (9 KB, 219x219) Image search: [Google]
Hiss.jpg
9 KB, 219x219
>>63434335
>>
>>63433965
yea I figured he did it so they wouldn't just kill Sal or anything
>>
File: 1428269075574.jpg (122 KB, 1278x1181) Image search: [Google]
1428269075574.jpg
122 KB, 1278x1181
>>63434335

bruh
>>
>>63433965
IMO the point is that it doesn't matter if everything Radio Raheem did was perfectly "right" or not, or Buggin' Out, or Mookie, etc. I mean, those are all discussions you can have, but in the end, what really matters is that a man was murdered by the police. The movie works because it presents all those other dilemmas and circumstances surrounding and it lets you see what parts become important to you. The film makes you examine yourself and your own reaction to the events. Spike has said in interviews that it's only ever white people that ask him whether Mookie did the right thing or not, whereas people of color understand his actions.
>>
>>63434045
lol what makes you think i'm upset, it's all about class, same way you'd rather watch a thoughtful film than some frivolous piece of shit, it was just a communal suggestion, feel free to do as you please pascal
>i realize the amount i wrote simulates butthurt
>>
>>63434335
is it actually against the rules?
>>
>>63434626
Believe it or not, yes.
>>
>>63434585
>only us black kids get it
>>
>>63434585
>people of color
Yeah, hispanics, arabs, asians, native americans, pacific islanders, literally every single race on the planet except for whites fully identifies with this specifically black american perspective, it's ONLY whitey who doesn't.

What spike lee actually said was that whites don't understand why the riot was justified while blacks do, but please continue inserting your anti-white us-vs-them SJWisms wherever you please, Mr. "PoC".
>>
>>63434659
if thats true, mods btfo
>i mean really it makes sense really
>>
>>63434585
>Radio Raheem literally tries to kill Sal in response to a broken boombox
>HE DINDU NUFFIN AND THE POLICE MURDERED HIM
This movie is a celebration of African-American rioting.
>>
File: 1430596300556.jpg (121 KB, 680x506) Image search: [Google]
1430596300556.jpg
121 KB, 680x506
>>63432211
No, the trashcan solved nothing. Thus why you should do the right thing. The movie is full of these type of scenarios though. Lots of fucked up shit.

reminder driving miss daisy is the only reason this didn't win best picture.
>>
>>63434951
It wasn't even nominated for best picture because the Academy is too racist and/or afraid of nominating a controversial movie.
>>
>>63434585
My problem with this is that I hate every fucking character in this movie. The Italians are racist assholes, Mookie is a lazy deadbeat dad, Radio Raheem is fucking crazy, Buggin out is a whiny, hypocritical asshole, I wish the cops killed all of them.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.