[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does everyone like starwars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: you_will_watch_starwars.jpg (77 KB, 360x245) Image search: [Google]
you_will_watch_starwars.jpg
77 KB, 360x245
Why is Star Wars considered good film? I can understand the special effects were top notch for the time, but now they are dated. Plot and acting weren't anything special. Musical score was good at first, but a bit overplayed now.

Why is there a cult of Star Wars? Why are millennials so excited about a film series that started in the 1970s?

Is this just a huge consumer conspiracy, where hollywood tells us what to watch and we just fall for the gimmicks? Have the toys and videogames and lunchboxes tricked us into liking this over-played saga? Are we under the spell of Disney's propoganda? Is Star Wars just part of the new heteronormativity? The new status quo?

Seriously, think about it. WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE LOVE STAR WARS? I'm not meme-ing, I'm genuinely looking for an answer here.
>>
cus it's cool
>>
it's nerd culture
>>
Why is Avengers considered good film? I can understand the special effects were top notch for the time, but now they are dated. Plot and acting weren't anything special. Musical score was good at first, but a bit overplayed now.

Why is there a cult of Avengers? Why are millennials so excited about a comic series that started in the 1960s?

Is this just a huge consumer conspiracy, where hollywood tells us what to watch and we just fall for the gimmicks? Have the toys and videogames and lunchboxes tricked us into liking this over-played saga? Are we under the spell of Marvel's propoganda? Is Avengers just part of the new heteronormativity? The new status quo?

Seriously, think about it. WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE LOVE AVENGERS? I'm not meme-ing, I'm genuinely looking for an answer here.
>>
>>63423858
the first two movies are genuinely excellent. if you can't tell how good they are compared to the hundreds of attempts to duplicate them then it's your own problem.
>>
>>63423858
The OT was a classic fantasy story in a scifi setting.
>>
File: Untitledg.jpg (14 KB, 188x192) Image search: [Google]
Untitledg.jpg
14 KB, 188x192
>>63423858
>>
>>63424038
I see where OP is coming from, I guess they were like the LoTR of their time or something. I always thought the story was kinda boring and I just didn't really care about the characters, maybe I should rewatch it some timeā‚¬
>>
1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "The Empire Strikes Back"
5. "Return of the Jedi"
6. "Star Wars"
>>
Super Samurai with laser swords
Creepy soldiers with blasters that go PEW PEW
Massive spaceships fighting smaller, faster ones
Tiny, brave rebellion against the big bad, evil Empire
Great Energy that binds the universe together, can be harnessed with training
Relatable nobody protagonist who saves everyone multiple times
Witty, sexy princess who's not scared of fighting
Cool, slick, roguelike pirate and his awesome screaming dog person who fly around in a ship that moves at lightspeed
Faggy robot getting into shit while his droidlet buddy fucks every port he can find, makes beep sounds have emotions everyone understands
Excellent OT cast, great chemistry between actors
Planets literally fucking exploding
Creepy, all black, half-man half-machine, ruthless villain Vader. Most iconic face of all time
Tons of weird aliens that have all kinds of personalities, talk in alien languages, SING in alien languages
Multiple planets, diverse settings in all films
Little green Mr Miyagi who always sounds stoned as fuck
The greatest sci-fi villain of all-time: Sheev

Honestly there's hundreds of things to love about Star Wars. If you seriously can't think of one thing you thought was really cool about the series, you probably lack a soul. Rven if you think they're artistically lacking, the original trilogy is always a blast to watch. You can watch it with your parents, your friends, your girl, your nieces and nephews, even your kids.

It's crosses the boundaries of age, race, background or culture. There's something for everyone to like in Star Wars, which is why millions of people love the series. And why there's always been younger, newer fans.
>>
File: Bane of the Youngling.jpg (10 KB, 240x328) Image search: [Google]
Bane of the Youngling.jpg
10 KB, 240x328
It's fun. The bane of the self titled patrician.
>>
>>63424444
Quads confirmed
>>
>>63424444
>quadri-quads

I'm impressed. And it's absolutely true.
>>
>>63424035
Touche, but here's my rebuttal

1. Cult of Star Wars is much much larger and longer lasting.
2. Avengers is a fun movie, but clearly not a top-shelf artistic film. Plot is fairly forgetable and standard.
3. My point still stands. Should we continue to rant and rave about the Avengers until the end of time? (considering how predictable and tired the story is)

I'm not trying to be some euphoric snob here, I'm genuinely curious. Besides mass marketing, should Star Wars really stand the test of time? How are people not sick with the same old story?
>>
File: 1449246206452.jpg (139 KB, 814x814) Image search: [Google]
1449246206452.jpg
139 KB, 814x814
>>63424444
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2807x4000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2807x4000
>>63424534
The hero's journey is classic form of storytelling. One of the most relatable and enjoyable stories in the history of fiction. Star Wars is the best reincarnation of that. Add things like
-the wonderful score
-imaginative worlds
-interesting characters
-fun comedic reliefs characters like C3PO and R2
-one of the coolest fictional weapons ever made (lightsabers)
-one of the most iconic Villains in the history of film (Vader)
-groundbreaking special effects
-an almost perfect release window

And you got yourself one of the biggest cultural influences in the history of entertainment. It's something we can watch regardless of age, gender, or race and still enjoy. It inspired many of us as kids to write our very own stories and kickstart our imaginations to think beyond of our limited realities into world of unbounded creativity and wonder. Even as adults it brings us back to a time of when our lives were much simpler. It transcended all mental and personal barriers into something that has at least brought us two or so hours of just simple enjoyment and fun.
>>
>>63424393
Not sure if pasta but it's mostly correct. I hate the OT and PT but I can find some ideas here and there that are genuinely interesting. Besides the franchise spawns books, videogames, cartoons. There's something there that you must like.

Art/character directions is alos top notch. Hardly any film can match it, let alone another sci fi franchise.
>>
Because people younger than 13 exist, sadly.
>>
They don't actually. Have you seen the tv advert with the father trying over and over to get his daughter to like Star wars and then her finally caving?

Thats essentially whats going on here
>>
>>63425359
Yes, YES! This!
>>
>>63425424
This is the one I'm referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lnkMgee5k
>>
>>63423858
>huge cultural significance
>very clever marketing
>almost everyone who is a "fan" had it shown to them at a very young age and so there is a nostalgia factor
>the fact that it is so loved is self propagating, because people like to like what is popular
>>
>>63423858
It's greater than the sum of its parts. I dunno if it's the good costumes and sound effects or whatever but the universe just has a pull to it. I always go through ups and downs of affection for most series but Star Wars is able to maintain a consistent baseline of fondness for me
>>
The fight scene in V and VI are amazing
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.