[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DON'T TEMPT ME, FRODO! What did he mean by this? Did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: Dumbledore.jpg (45 KB, 960x363) Image search: [Google]
Dumbledore.jpg
45 KB, 960x363
>DON'T TEMPT ME, FRODO!

What did he mean by this? Did Gandalf pine for the Ring?
>>
>>63420390
yes
>>
he wanted to put his dick inside frodo's ring
>>
the ring, a circle, represents a vagina
gandalf the wizard would lose his powers symbolically if he thrust his finger into that ring
>>
>>63420390
You're trolling. He literally mentions why afterwards.
>>
>>63420447
>Keep it secret, keep it safe

suddenly became a whole lot more harrowing
>>
File: aoOQxLP.jpg (23 KB, 850x458) Image search: [Google]
aoOQxLP.jpg
23 KB, 850x458
Do you think Gandalf was upset when he came back as the White, and found that the Fellowship had ignored his advice?

He literally tells them to fly on the eagles you fools
>>
Gandalf is Sauron-tier

Who knows what he could have done, corrupted by the power of the ring
>>
>>63420611
Would it be instant corruption, or would he have resilience to its power?
>>
>>63420659
Kind of like a decision. That's how I see it.

Once he decides to be corrupted he is corrupted but if he doesn't decide to be corrupted then he remains 'pure'. Deagol was instantly corrupted the second he decided he wanted the ring, although it's arguable if that movie scene is canon or not, the specifics of it that is.

Not that anon, just giving my two cents.
>>
>>63420659

Resilience, of course

It would be
for the greater good

Give it to me

Give me the ring
>>
Could dragon fire destroy the ring?
>>
>>63420659
It's implied the greater the individuals power, the faster the corruption spreads.

Hence why Gandalf and Galadriel can't even touch it, but Frodo can put it on his dick for months on end.
>>
>>63420839

>Dragon fire was hot enough to melt the Rings of Power. Indeed, four of the seven rings gifted to the Dwarves were consumed by dragon fire. However, it was said by Gandalf that no dragon's fire would be hot enough to melt the One Ring, not even that of Ancalagon the Black, mightiest-known member of that dread race.
>>
>>63420390

Gandalf is about as strong as Sauron was before using the ring and he's smart enough to know how to use it for things other than turning invisible, he knows how potentially powerful he could be if he took it for himself.
>>
>>63420573

He was probably a little annoyed, but it's not like the Eagles would have sped things up all that much. At most, they would have just flown the fellowship to Mirkwood. And it's entirely possible that the Eagles wouldn't have listened to the Fellowship if Gandalf wasn't in charge, he's the only non-Eagle they seem to give a shit about.
>>
>>63420939
>Gandalf is about as strong as Sauron was before using the ring and he's smart enough to know how to use it for things other than turning invisible, he knows how potentially powerful he could be if he took it for himself.

No, Gandalf is a fucking pussyo and doesn't even want to come to ME because he is afraid Sauron will BTFO him, he has to be convinced. Gandlaf was right too, the wizards plan failed. None of the wizards were able to do their required job, had Eru not revived Gandalf it all would have ended in failure.

That's canon.
>>
>>63420729

That sounds about right. If you want the ring, you're corrupted by it. That's why Bilbo wasn't corrupted at first, he just found it on the ground. Frodo never wanted it, so he was the perfect candidate to carry it around. And I think that's why Tom Bombadil was mentioned as a possible guardian for the ring, he has everything he could ever want so it would have no hold over him.
>>
File: 1419397083861.jpg (55 KB, 600x345) Image search: [Google]
1419397083861.jpg
55 KB, 600x345
>>63420573

>mfw the French translation
>>
Why didn't Sam bear the ring if he's not affected at all by it in the book?
>>
>>63421013
>No, Gandalf is a fucking pussyo and doesn't even want to come to ME because he is afraid Sauron will BTFO him, he has to be convinced.

Because Sauron's had entire armies and the Nazgul at his disposal by that point, not to mention there was the possibility of him recovering the ring and becoming Melkor-tier again. Gandalf would have been stupid not to be afraid. But at the end of the day, Sauron was still a Maiar, just like Saruman and Gandalf. In theory, either of them could become as powerful as Sauron if they had the ring.

>Gandlaf was right too, the wizards plan failed. None of the wizards were able to do their required job, had Eru not revived Gandalf it all would have ended in failure.

True. Although to be fair, that's mainly because one of the wizards sabotaged the plan because he was corrupted by the mere idea of the ring. I wonder if that's what Olorin/Gandalf was afraid of?
>>
>>63421035
Also explains why Galadriel, Sam, Aragorn, Gandalf and Faramir are able to resist it, they know what would happen if they took the ring. Too much risk for too little reward.

Boromir knew but didn't care essentially.
>>
>>63421124

He was affected by it. In Return of the King, there's a little section where he thinks about using the ring make Mordor lush and green and grow all kinds of food and wield a flaming sword and overthrow Sauron and command great armies and then he realizes that maybe he's not so immune after all.
>>
File: rosiehightest.jpg (32 KB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
rosiehightest.jpg
32 KB, 720x360
>Well.....I'm back

What did he mean by this?
>>
Talking 'bout the movies

Is Boromir the best character ?
>>
>>63420939
>Gandalf is about as strong as Sauron was before using the ring and he's smart enough to know how to use it for things other than turning invisible, he knows how potentially powerful he could be if he took it for himself.
Its not about being smart the ring works partially off of desire. That's how it gets it's hooks in you.
>>
File: AMERICA.png (630 KB, 692x523) Image search: [Google]
AMERICA.png
630 KB, 692x523
>>63420982
>implying the eagles didn't end the war virtually single-handedly
>implying Middle-Earth wouldn't be speaking Orish if it weren't for the eagles
>implying you don't wish you were an eagle
>>
>>63421153
>Boromir knew but didn't care essentially.

I think Boromir was just so desperate that he was willing to accept the risk. To him, the options were either use the ring to defend Gondor or let Sauron take it back (he didn't believe the plan would work). You can't really blame him either, he spent his whole life fighting a losing battle to defend his home and all of a sudden there's a way to win it and nobody is willing to use it.

>>63421239

Yes.
>>
>>63421138
>Because Sauron's had entire armies...
No, Sauron is straight up more powerful than Gandalf.
>At first, Olórin was nervous and described himself as too weak and to afraid of Sauron. Manwë understood, and told him that that was one main reason why he should go, to overcome that fear. Thus, he insisted that Olórin should go as the third, but Varda convinced him not to include Olórin as the third, but as the second. Olórin agreed, and prepared for his departure from the Undying Lands with the other four wizards.
From the wiki, too slack to get books.

>In theory, either of them could become as powerful as Sauron if they had the ring.
No, there are power levels. Olorin is wise, Sauron is a creator as an original maiar for Aule. It's why Melkor is able to stand for so long, it's why the Valar literally need to get a bunch of cunts just to beat one other Valar, and why they need to kick him out of the world, but his will still remains. They are not all equal.

>True. Although to be fair....
Blue Wizards did nothing. Radagast straight up stopped caring and just fell in love with plants and animals. Saruman wanted to beat Sauron. Gandalf died. They all failed in some way or another.
>>
>>63421256

Lol. Since Tolkien served in WWI, I always wondered if the Eagles in the Hobbit were a bit of a jab at the United States, with the way it sat by and watched as the Entente bled itself white fighting the Central Powers, then swooped in and helped save the day at the very end (mainly through loans), reaping all of benefits without having to take any of the high casualties.
>>
>>63421271
>I think Boromir was just so desperate that he was willing to accept the risk. To him, the options were either use the ring to defend Gondor or let Sauron take it back (he didn't believe the plan would work). You can't really blame him either, he spent his whole life fighting a losing battle to defend his home and all of a sudden there's a way to win it and nobody is willing to use it.

That's what I was getting at, poor choice of words on my part.
>>
>>63421153
>Boromir knew but didn't care essentially
Boromir thought gondor could wield the power
>>
>>63421059
"Fuyez, pauvre fous"

?
>>
>>63421271
>I think Boromir was just so desperate that he was willing to accept the risk.

Nah. He might have told himself that, but really he must have known it wasn't a "risk" - using it always corrupts. Everyone is tempted to use the ring, but it's not based on rational analysis. It's like a drug that everyone is addicted to.
>>
>>63421348
>No, Sauron is straight up more powerful than Gandalf.
>No, there are power levels. Olorin is wise, Sauron is a creator as an original maiar for Aule. It's why Melkor is able to stand for so long, it's why the Valar literally need to get a bunch of cunts just to beat one other Valar, and why they need to kick him out of the world, but his will still remains. They are not all equal.

Really? I must have forgotten about that, I haven't read the Silmarillion in a long time. The stuff about Sauron being stronger than Olorin makes sense, after all, even humans have power levels. But I could have sworn that one of the Valar beat Melkor one-on-one. I think his name started with a T.

>Blue Wizards did nothing. Radagast straight up stopped caring and just fell in love with plants and animals. Saruman wanted to beat Sauron. Gandalf died. They all failed in some way or another.

Yes, they all failed, I'm just saying that Saruman and Gandalf alone would have succeeded if Saruman hadn't been corrupted.
>>
File: 1419866356440.png (99 KB, 1088x549) Image search: [Google]
1419866356440.png
99 KB, 1088x549
Will they sell the rights as soon as the old dry fart is kill?
>>
>>63421449

Yes
>>
>>63421449
>>63421059
I put it into MyMemory and got "Mouche, imbéciles!"
>>
>>63421585

kek
>>
Yes. In LOTR, the more powerful you are, the more tempted you are. Gandalf is basically an angel and even before dying was enormously powerful.

Same reason he didn't use the Eagles like everyone asks. He'd have to explain why they were taking Frodo to the moutain, and afterwards the temptation would've been too much because the Eagles are insanely powerful. He could only use them for a quick escape with Bilbo because none of them knew he had it. Same reason Galadriel freaked the fuck out when the ring was mentioned. She's enormously powerful and was grateful shed somehow overcome it.
>>
>>63421526
>Really? I must have forgotten about that, I haven't read the Silmarillion in a long time. The stuff about Sauron being stronger than Olorin makes sense, after all, even humans have power levels. But I could have sworn that one of the Valar beat Melkor one-on-one. I think his name started with a T.

Yeah Tulkas, the wrestler. They imprisoned him after that but he was let out after an age or something and was up to his usual tricks. The physical prowess means nothing with Melkor as he has exerted most, if not all his will into his armies and 'creations'.

The way I see it is the Orcish armies are not 'orcish' armies but Melkor and his will, still existing n the world. Everything 'evil' is in some way or another part of Melkor. While he can be defeated his will still remains, as is demonstrated by Sauron wreaking shit long after he is gone.

>Yes, they all failed, I'm just saying that Saruman and Gandalf alone would have succeeded if Saruman hadn't been corrupted.

I don't think so, they were loremasters. I think it was Narya and therefore Cirdan who won the battle for them. Narya has the power to inspire and resist tyranny, think of all the godly speeches Gandalf gives which is enhanced by his ring.
>>
File: Sauron.jpg (12 KB, 240x234) Image search: [Google]
Sauron.jpg
12 KB, 240x234
>>63421688
Forgot to add pic.

This describes the idea Tolkien mentions a few times in his works.

"The shadow reaching further than the hand"
>>
>>63420496
>hurr durr
>>
>>63421724
Looks like Sauron's making an evil shadowpuppet
>>
>>63420899
How would he even know?
>>
>>63421834

He's a semi-god, who knows
>>
>>63421834
If you tried to shatter a boulder with a knife and it didn't work, using a bigger knife probably wouldn't work either.
>>
>>63420477
underrated
>>
>>63421138
>not to mention there was the possibility of him recovering the ring and becoming Melkor-tier again.

Nigga please. Sauron was never close to Melkor on his best day.
>>
>>63420839
Better yet, could a dragon wear the ring and wield its power?
>>
>>63422077
>Better yet, could a dragon wear the ring and wield its power?

Dragons are agents of Melkor, if they got the ring they would probably give it to their master.
>>
>>63421378
No. The eagle wasn't a symbol for America until the 1980s
>>
>>63422124
>The eagle wasn't a symbol for America until the 1980s
no
>>
>>63421525
As the reader/viewer, we know that, Boromir certainly doesn't.
>>
>>63422077
Well, as we know from The Hobbit movies, dragons don't have fingers, so no.
>>
>>63422230

around the neck
>>
>>63422246
How would the dragon get it over his head?
>>
>>63422365

Well, in the movies, the One Ring adapt its size to his owner
>>
>>63422124
>No. The eagle wasn't a symbol for America until the 1980s

The eagle was adopted as a symbol for America in the 1780s
>>
what happens if you put the one ring around your cock?
>>
>>63422495
The Ring can magically stretch to accomodate its bearer's size, but maybe not that much.
>>
>>63422611
>implying it wouldn't have to shrink
>>
>>63422495

THE

LOAD
>>
>>63422495
naturally it would make the penis invisible, but in your case I doubt we'd see much of a difference.
>>
>>63422495
It probably circumcises you. Magically.
>>
>>63422703
kek
>>
>>63421215
He's back in the New York groove.
>>
Everybody wants the ring except for Tom Bombadil. That's kinda the whole point. What makes characters strong is their ability to say no.
>>
>>63421256
No you imbecile. The Eagles only serve themselves. They owe Gandalf something in the past and this was the only reason they helped. The Eagles were a race of sentient and proud beings. The One Ring would easily corrupt them.
>>
>>63420477
Jesus fucking kek
>>
>"Baruk Khazad! Kazad ai-menu!"

What did he mean by this
>>
>>63422611
Does the ring become more powerful the more girthier the finger?

Better yet, could I get power if I owned the ring but got a ringer with a giant finger to wear it and channel the power to me?

What if I wore it around my wrist? Is that too much?
>>
>>63426954
>Axes of the dwarves! The dwarves are upon you!
He meant he was gonna fuck some orcs up.
>>
>>63426954
Kazad's back on the menu, boys.
>>
>>63420390
>DO NOT TAKE ME FOR A CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICK.
>Mighty Wings starts playing when they ride the Eagles

fucking really?
>>
File: 1415065698391.png (879 KB, 1313x699) Image search: [Google]
1415065698391.png
879 KB, 1313x699
>The one ring repro just came in the mail today.

It;s a tad small for my finger, but I'll wear it as a necklace until I get the next size up.
>>
>>63426954
So Middle Earth DID have menus.
>>
>Muh Silmarils

What did Feanor mean by this?
>>
>War of The Ring
>It ain't me starts playing
B R A V O
>>
>>63420899
Does anybody have a size comparison of ancalagon the black?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.