[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hadn't seen Lost in Translation before but it was on HBO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 1280x696
I hadn't seen Lost in Translation before but it was on HBO this morning so I'm giving it a shot.

I start wondering how they are going to meet, she sees him and buys him a drink.
>DROPPED

I can't relate to this movie anymore.

Anyone else Drop a movie for a subtle or insignificant reason?

Also let me know if I should keep watching, it's paused right now.
>>
what the fuck are you talking about. why did you drop it?
>>
>>63414607
>>>/suicide/
Delete this
>>
Great thread
>>
>>63414607
A girl who's unhappy in her relationship see's one of few English speaking people,who just happens to be a movie star, she buys him a drink and apparently this is drop worthy? wat
>>
>i have never had a women buy me a drink so i refuse to believe that it is possible, even in fiction
how close am i op
>>
It's a shitty flick alright
>>
>implying a lonely female wouldn't try and talk with the one english speaking individual, who also happens to be a famous movie star who everyone in the world knows about
>>
>>63414628
>>63414649
>>63414660
>>63414912
>>63414737
>these booty blasted wes anderson fans defending a garbage flick. yes lost in translation is a splashy, colorful, and very shallow flick.

>>63414607
I wanted to drop it at that point too. There were many drop-worthy points in this film (karaoke scene, the "boyfriend who doesnt appreciate her" character, the shinto shrine music video to name a few).

>>63414977
>>63414737
these two are actually defending infidelity and a tart. if your wife was in a bar without you and saw a movie star and created a month long relationship, you'd probably be pissed.
>>
>>63415053
It's painfully obvious you're single
>>
File: Stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg (207 KB, 680x473) Image search: [Google]
Stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg
207 KB, 680x473
>>63415053
>>
>>63415053
is it difficult for people with autism to discern between fiction and documentaries?
>>
>>63415053
>these two are actually defending infidelity and a tart. if your wife was in a bar without you and saw a movie star and created a month long relationship, you'd probably be pissed.
I'd also be pissed if Bane threw me into a pit, I don't see why that makes a film good or not..?
>>
>>63415053
it was made by sofia coppola, not wes anderson.

pleb.
>>
I just generally wonder if these movies are supposed to be watched in your early 20's. I mean, that makes a lot of sense and sounds correct but how did so many older people and critics love it? Were they just living vicariously through the naivety of youth or are they still vapid and judgmental?

Why do movies like these always have such flat predictable side characters. It's as bad as a Julia Roberts Rom-Com.

These movies suppose there is a sort of naivety about life, experience, and relationships...a certainty about people and an uncertainty about expectations and I think the more you experience the more that gets flipped.

I tend to empathize with the side characters, despite how flat they are by fleshing out there experiences in my head and see the main characters as just meaningless, fictional fantasies of the writer's youth.
>>
>>63414607
Are you some kind of MRA redpill virgin mass shooter?
>>
>>63415293
>I mean, that makes a lot of sense and sounds correct but how did so many older people and critics love it?
old people weren't born old, anon.
>>
File: autism-speaks[1].jpg (144 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
autism-speaks[1].jpg
144 KB, 1200x1200
>>63414607
>>
>>63415317
do you get a couple more pennies if you squeeze in a bunch of buzzwords?
>>
It's not great, but it's comfy.
Also just enjoy the view of ScarJo if it bothers you that much.
>>
>>63415293
side characters are supposed to be a reflection of the way the main characters see them. in LiT she's just in a mood where she doesn't care about her husband and just feels out of place. It's why he sounds like a complete asshole cause at the time of the story she doesn't feel the connection they had before, and dismisses what he was/could be and only portrays what she feels he is on their trip.
>>
>>63415576
No "roastie"? You're slipping /pol/
>>
>>63414607

I hadn't read OP's posts before, but after reading 3 lines I knew he was a fag.

>DROPPED
>>
File: vincentg.jpg (73 KB, 440x325) Image search: [Google]
vincentg.jpg
73 KB, 440x325
Be famous, draw pussy. Channel beta and circle pussy for two hours.

Shooting lonely kids in a barrel. Bravo Coppola.
>>
>>63415696
>mentions /pol/ outside of it
that must earn you a whole nickel.
>>
>>63415293
>Why do movies like these always have such flat predictable side characters. It's as bad as a Julia Roberts Rom-Com.

Think about it. You are watching a movie directed by Sofia Coppola, literally nepotism of a hack that only had two good ideas in his early life and then coasted on name recognition. Then it has Scarlet Johansson, a literal model, and the funny guy from 80s movies 20 years later when he is starting to fall into obscurity.
What did you expect? Even the production is full of clishees. This movie is of the same tier as The Shawshank Redemption.
Realize it, move on and donĀ“t try to mention your disdain anywhere because everyone is too butthurt about it cause they watched it when they were 15-20 and associate it with their phase of self-discovery so shitting on it is like shitting on them.

Not even trying to act high and mighty about it, my version of Lost in Translation is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. These movies are the equivalent of rom coms for slightly smarter people but who still act like sheep.
>>
>>63414607

Is it just me or does Bill Murray play the same fucking character every movie?

Literally felt like Groundhog day: 2000 version.
>>
>>63414607
what the FUCK are you doing watching a comfy nighttime movie in the fucking morning you absolute mongoloid

get a fucking job
>>
File: rooney shitposting.jpg (68 KB, 480x750) Image search: [Google]
rooney shitposting.jpg
68 KB, 480x750
>>63415936
>>
But that isn't how they meet. Their remembrance of how they met is actually a pretty significant part of the movie if you keep watching.
>>
File: Dat-Ass.jpg (20 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
Dat-Ass.jpg
20 KB, 500x337
>>63415630
>dem see thru panties at the beginning
>>
>17 year old Scarlett Johannson with her ass and feet in shot
>not a good film
kill yourself faget
>>
>>63414607
Sees really famous person you would love to hangout with at a fucking bar, and you don't buy him a drink? Are you a fucking beta or something?
>>
>>63414607
I dropped Darkman because they took too long to get to the good stuff. Liam Neson was just hanging out with his wife.

Okay, so presumably these are the stakes. This is the reason that Darkman becomes a force for vengeance.

Except, I've never been married or had a girlfriend, so I can't really identify with it.
>>
>>63415053
>wes anderson fans

>railing into films you know nothing about
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 469x746) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 469x746
>>63414607
>>
>>63415293
>These movies suppose there is a sort of naivety about life, experience, and relationships...a certainty about people and an uncertainty about expectations and I think the more you experience the more that gets flipped.

>I tend to empathize with the side characters, despite how flat they are by fleshing out there experiences in my head and see the main characters as just meaningless, fictional fantasies of the writer's youth.

I don't get what you're talking about.
>>
>>63416962
he said the characters approach to romance was sophmoric
>>
yeah it's garbage

literally only praised by clueless millennials who think they're super unique snowflakes acting head up their ass in a foreign country. the "only white people are real people. asians are just weird entities you wade through" just makes it even worse
>>
>>63415936
You have a good point there anon, with it being hard for people to seperate the critique of the film from that of their character.
>>
>>63417002
exactly. movies about whites trampling around in a foreign country caught up in their small world irk me.
>>
File: 2hyarm8[1].png (152 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
2hyarm8[1].png
152 KB, 258x314
>>63414607
>mfw OP never had a girl buy him a drink
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.