[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't he just quit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: pyle.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pyle.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
Why didn't he just quit?
>>
>>63414283
He did the right thing in the end.
>>
>>63414283
Weren't they drafted?
>>
You can't quit war, OP.
>>
>>63414358
It was the marines, I'm pretty sure you could drop out and try army
>>
>>63414283

>This guy was considered incredibly obese and unfit back then

Now he'd be a paragon of health in America.
>>
>>63414283
because he was a slimy walrus lookin piece of shit
>>
>>63414371
I don't think that's how it works anon
>>
>>63415739

literally too skinny desu senpai

cant be healthy to be that thin
>>
>>63414283

Can't quit when you're drafted.
>>
>>63415805

So much for freedom...
>>
Are you John Wayne?
>>
>>63415980
What was that line about?
>>
>>63416240

john wayne
>>
>>63416240
It was a retarded meme line for a retarded meme movie.
>>
File: 1395175598886.png (40 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1395175598886.png
40 KB, 184x184
>>63416431
What a meme reply
>>
File: 1448638307094.png (12 KB, 508x497) Image search: [Google]
1448638307094.png
12 KB, 508x497
>>63416395
>>
>>63415739
>incredibly obese
He was just plumpy
>>
>>63415739
He was just a big guy.
>>
>>63414358
>>63414371
>>63415805
>get drafted
>refuse
What are they going to do? Shoot me?
>>
>>63415739
No, he wasn't. Even now he's considered unfit for most military service in the US. They don't bully fat people in the military anymore but they give you shit loads of PT and extra bullshit duty.

T. was fat guy in basic training
>>
>>63416588
No... You go to prison
>>
>>63415805
drafted to the marines?
>>
>>63415739
The military actually doesn't REALLY take fat people anymore, the closest you can get is borderline chubby women who are watched like a hawk and given a diet in the delayed entry program period up until shipping to basic.

As a 130lb qt twink, I'm currently completely safe in my journey to intel spergdom, but I've seen quite a few people wash out when about to ship because of weight problems.

It's a neck/chest taping along with a weight measure, on that note, so that they can compute something close to an accurate BMI. They'll be implementing a pinch test in the next few years in order to increase accuracy.

The Navy's standards are something like 22.5% body fat and below, if I remember correctly.
>>
I was quit when I came in here, I'm twice as quit now.
>>
>>63416588
Besides the massive public shaming (which ironically happened to the soldiers who went there), there are certain sanctions put on those who deny getting drafted. According to wiki these include, in the USA:
"Failing to register though, makes the male ineligible for certain benefits, such as FAFSA aid, federal/state jobs, and in certain states, even driver's licenses (since certain states will automatically register a male with the Selective Service System)."

So for Vietnam, I imagine you were damned if you did, damned if you didn't.

I love the smell of the patriarchy during war times.
>>
>>63416749

22.5% bf for a man means that you are fat you fucking americlap
>>
>>63416749
>intel spergdom
air force intel here and holy fuck all of the people I'm at tech school with are fucking wierd
>>
>>63416803
People went to Canada in Nam
>>
File: 1427760796776.jpg (82 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1427760796776.jpg
82 KB, 480x640
>>63416803
The biggest fucking travesty to come from the Vietnam War is the fucking shaming the soldiers got when they returned home.

Fucking troops who risked life and limb to get their job done and protect their friends made to feel so ashamed of what they did by a bunch of fucking hippies who screamed that they killed babies, that they gave up their uniforms and medals.
>>
>>63416240
I think it was the sargeant was asking if someone was gay. John Wayne was always putting off an air of masculinity as a "man's man" when he was actually a homofuck faggot in real life.
Of course /tv/ wouldn't know anything about that.
They're just here for memes and blacks cocks like the subhuman trash this board is.
>>
>>63416240
john wayne was a gay nazi
>>
>>63417167
To be fair, atrocities were committed by the soldiers - which we can hold them accountable for - and some atrocities they were ordered to commit - which we can't quite blame them for.

I'm just saying that if someone high up orders you to pour gasoline on a child and burn it, you're a fucking cunt if you comply. You're also a cunt if you rape women just because "they're gooks" or whatever.

It was a fucking shitshow all around. I won't pretend to be an expert at all, but I probably would neither glorify nor vilify the veterans if I didn't know their stories.
>>
Why didn't McMurphy just admit he was sane?

Pyle was the bravest man in the whole unit.
>>
>>63416871
You should see the guys who get told to slim down, they're almost all fucking BUILT bodybuilders.

>dude gets told to lose weight by the doctor at MEPS
>he has biceps and quads the size of my head

The problem is that he's 5'9 and 200lbs+, really, but I'm sure he can both outrun and outfight me any day of the week.
>>
>>63417167
They deserved it. They know what they did.
>>
>>63417239
To be fair, not all soldiers were infantry. Some were engineers who just fucking built bridges, some were services, others were field medics. Doesn't matter if you saw combat or not, if you had a uniform you were shamed. That's not right
>>
>>63416563
for you
>>
>>63417365
Which is why I personally wouldn't hold them in contempt or be thankful they went.

The counterargument to what you said would be that anyone, even the smallest cog, belonged in a machine that ground Vietnamese people to mush. If they were drafted, or volunteered because they were bright eyed and stupid, and they didn't actively engage in any explicitly horrible behaviour, I don't think we can reasonably blame them.

It's getting wordy, I'm just saying that some of the soldiers deserved it. I think we agree on all this shit, so I'll leave it at that.
>>
>>63417365

Plus for every infantryman who did evil shit there were dozens/hundreds who didn't

Just like in WW2, the vast majority of German soldiers were just fighting to protect their country and the ideals it stood for. They didn't all go around shooting gypsies and throwing Jews in ovens and whatnot
>>
>>63417259
Isn't the problem also them not being able to fit into uniforms and such properly? Like being able to fit into and use your gear with ease is more important than being able to uppercut a Jihadi.
>>
>>63417167
they deserved it.

if you had perspective beyond the fat lens of murrica then you would agree.
>>
>>63417758

>a handful of soldiers did shitty things so they should all get treated badly

Cool does that mean it's acceptable to openly hate blacks/sandpeople now?
>>
>>63417807
they all did shitty things.
they murdered people for no good reason.
>>
>>63414358
>>63415805
>>63416803
it was the marines, he should have gone for the regular army

or the chairforce
>>
>>63416588
>What are they going to do? Shoot me?
Yes, Not likely anymore since they will try to arrest you unless you fight back

But during war time, desertion can be tried for treason. Which is punishable by death
>>
>>63417874
This nigga gets it, There is a reason Marines dont have to go through boot camp a 2nd time if they switch services but any other wanting to go Marine still has to go through theirs
>>
>>63417851
Blacks and sand people murder people for no good reason
>>
>>63417167
I went to high school with the guy in the pic, he's an airforce pilot now.
>>
It's somewhat hard to quit. They'll do everything they can to get you to stay. They invested a lot of money getting you to the recruit depot, feeding you, clothing you, issuing gear, and training. They believe it would be a waste to allow someone to just quit.

Sometimes they'll make you complete the entire training course before allowing you to quit. The thought behind this is that you'll want to stay since you've already completed training. If you're uncompliant and refuse to train, they'll simply send you to jail for months until they process discharge papers.

You can't just say I quit and go home that day. Once you have sworn in, they own you. They can extend your contract if they wanted to.
>>
>>63418414
True Story

Went to USMC MCRD San Diego back in 07' and was on my way to getting kicked out from "failure to adapt" and almost got booted before I talked to the CO and he let me go back to my platoon

Not sure how fucked it is now since recruiting numbers back then were low and they were taking anyone willing to try. Most I know about the new boot camp thing is less time training with rifles and more time Hiking, that and moving the Crucible till the very end as opposed to the end of 2nd phase
>>
>>63418204
That's because the USMC wants to indoctrinate everyone into their culture.

It is true that if a former marine wanted to join the army they would not have to attend the army's basic training course, but they do have to attend WTC which is basically the army's basic training course for former service members.
>>
>>63418638
USMC is pretty bad about pushing that "worlds largest fraternity" and "once a marine, always a marine" with its espirit de corps mentality

Glad I went full hippie after I got out and dont own a gun
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.