[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a Jack Ryan thread going? I just watched Sum of All
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Can we get a Jack Ryan thread going? I just watched Sum of All Fears, which was the last one I hadn't seen, and was pleasantly surprised after hearing nothing but hate for the movie. The fact that a cabal of neo-fascists were the villains was stupid and the way they were ultimately killed in some weird Godfather-esque scene at the end was dumb, but they never got in the way of the film's driving factors so I can't complain too much. The political game was tense and entertaining, but the tension didn't start building until about halfway through the movie, so it never felt as tense as The Hunt for Red October despite the stakes being multiple orders of magnitude higher. The relationship with his girlfriend was stupid and was given too much screentime, but didn't detract from the plot too much since they made sure to sideline her once the plot started to kick in. Overall I'd probably rate the Jack Ryan movies as follows:

The Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Patriot Games
*Power Gap*
Shadow Recruit

Thoughts? I know putting Patriot Games below Sum of All Fears will get some hate, but Patriot Games is super overrated.
>>
>>63402001
I've only seen the first three and never read any books
Hunt for Red October is great tier definitely the best
I didn't really like Harrison Ford in the role. Seemed like all of a sudden it was about Jack Ryan being an old guy with a family. That's why Patriot Games was so awful. God I hate that movie.
Clear and Present Danger was pretty good. The stuff with the soldiers in jungle was great.
>>
>>63402001
patriot games is bad but fucking hell the shit of all shits is horrendous.
>>
>>63402001
Sum of all Fears sucks, the sole redeeming feature is the DVD commentary track where Tom Clancy spends 2 hours complaining about every change they made and the director has to justify them all.

I have no fucking idea what they were thinking with Shadow Recruit but I definitely glad it did badly.
>>
File: Sorry Dennis.jpg (177 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Sorry Dennis.jpg
177 KB, 853x480
>>63402001
I can't, in good conscience, let it stand that you put the Sum of All Fears above Patriot Games. I'm fine if someone thinks Patriot Games is overrated, but that doesn't have anything to do with Sum of All Fears. It had Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan. That alone is enough.

For me it's
Patriot Games
Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger

Sum of All Fears

Shadow Recruit
>>
>>63402001
The only good one is Red October. Ford and Affleck were both bad casting and the movies strayed too far from the books, usually so they could be dumbed down for the audience. The less said about Shadow Recruit the better.

Also

>tfw they'll never, ever make a Cardinal of the Kremlin movie
>no Red Storm Rising either even if that's not a Ryan story
>>
>>63402001
>clear and present danger
>main antag just gets shot in the face from the helo

This made me wtf I thought he'd at least kill dafoe
>>
File: widow sadfrog.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
widow sadfrog.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>we'll never get a movie of The Bear & The Dragon
>we probably won't get a movie of The Cardinal of the Kremlin
>>
>>63402138
>I didn't really like Harrison Ford in the role. Seemed like all of a sudden it was about Jack Ryan being an old guy with a family. That's why Patriot Games was so awful.

The amount of time given Jack's significant other/family is inversely proportional to the quality of the movie. Patriot Games sucks because his family is directly related to the entire plot and Shadow Recruit is an abortion because his wife actually comes along and does spy stuff.
>>
>>63402187

Sum of All Fears had some weird casting choices, but the political intrigue stuff is done well and Ciaran Hinds did a fantastic job. Affleck looks too much like an action hero to play Ryan, but he did a decent job. I think I was expecting Shadow Recruit levels of horribleness, which probably explains why I look at Sum pretty favorably.
>>
I have a really hard time watching these movies because I have no idea what the canon is supposed to be. It seems every movie Jack Ryan gets re-introduced and it all starts fresh again. Not to mention how the cast changes completely

Keep in mind, I've only read the Rainbow Six books, so I might just be a plebian. I don't know...
>>
Going to watch Shadow Recruit even though it sounds incredibly bad. The Sum of All Fears was a lot better than I expected though so I'm hoping the magic strikes twice.
>>
Clear and Present Danger was twenty years before its time.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 800x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 800x461
Such a weird gun to have for than operation, why not just a shorter rifle? It didn't even have a sling!
>>
The Harrison Ford ones are fucking great.

Honorary member: Air Force One
>>
>>63402304
>The amount of time given Jack's significant other/family is inversely proportional to the quality of the movie. Patriot Games sucks because his family is directly related to the entire plot
Nah, it's a nice change from Clear and Present Danger

>Shadow Recruit is an abortion because his wife actually comes along and does spy stuff.
toppest of fucking keks
>>
>>63405408
Guy who just watched Shadow Recruit here, I honestly was picturing her dressing up in black and infiltrating a building herself. It wasn't that bad at least.

Patriot Games is up next, credits say Sean Bean is in it, and Sammy Jackson. What the fuck how could I forget that? After watching Sum of All Fears and Clear and Present Danger recently I was left with a sense of wonderment as to why they missed so much. They have all the elements but they're just not on the level of other modern spy movies.
>>
Clear and Present Danger
The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games
The Sum of All Fears (seriously though, why make the villains Neo-Nazis, what the fuck was that about?)
>>
>>63402001
THE CONVOY AMBUSH IN CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER IS CLASSIC AS FUCK

THOSE 90S SUBURBANS GETTING RPGED FROM THE ROOFTOPS SHIEEEEEEEEET
>>
HOW DARE YOU BARK AT ME LIKE SOME JUNKYARD DOG I'M THE PRESIDENT
>>
>>63402167
Well that does sound pretty entertaining but I do think Sum of All Fears has some good things going for it. Not many movies show that much realistic destruction on American soil. That was pretty intense.
>>
>no red storm rising movie
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.