[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's settle this once and for all. Did tony get whacked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 18
File: sopranos-finale-final-scene.png (240 KB, 642x428) Image search: [Google]
sopranos-finale-final-scene.png
240 KB, 642x428
Let's settle this once and for all. Did tony get whacked?
>>
>>63389804
He either got wacked or spent the rest of his life in prison.
>>
File: sbXS82LjiAU[1].jpg (43 KB, 335x454) Image search: [Google]
sbXS82LjiAU[1].jpg
43 KB, 335x454
Anyone who thinks he definitely died is stupid. It indicates that this moment COULD be the end, as any moment could be. When death comes, he won't see it coming.

He knows this, and the scene is reflecting his constant paranoia. The screen cuts to black to hint that maybe he died, but it's not asserting that he definitely did. It's just indicating the ever-present possibility of a sudden death.

Any other ending could not have conveyed this, which is why it ended with an abrupt cut.
>>
The black guys were there to kill the guy in the members only jacket. Tony got killed in the crossfire.
>>
File: jimmy-altieri.jpg (40 KB, 567x451) Image search: [Google]
jimmy-altieri.jpg
40 KB, 567x451
>>63389804
lets settle this once and for all was Jimmy a rat?
>>
Sopranos is shit. The breaking bad ending was better and actually made sense.
>>
>>63390077
Your argument might be valid if the show didn't cut straight to black and spend the entire episode flashing back to conversations about how "you won't even hear it."
>>
Depends on the viewer, but my guess is no.

No one is ending a mob boss in front of his children.

Who are they... niggers?
>>
>>63389804
Yes.
>>63390151
Yep.
>>
>>63390703
Phil was whacked in front of his grandchildren and his wife. Yes they where babies, but still. This would have been the primary reason why Tony would have been hit in front of his family.
>>
I think he did die, but that's just an interpretation (although I feel that the whole point of view theory is pretty solid and it seems like something Chase would do).
>>
>>63390791
Good point!
>>63390151
Yeah.
>>
File: paulie_lemons.jpg (102 KB, 462x483) Image search: [Google]
paulie_lemons.jpg
102 KB, 462x483
Tone wanders thru the woods on peyote

He sees 3 monks and paulie who's got lazer beams coming out of his eyes

Monk1; the universe is like a butcher shop where everyones turned into gabagool

Monk2: the universe is like funeral home where you witness yourself in the casket

Paulie: word to tha wise; remember perl harbor

Monk 3 passes paulie a joint the size of the world trade center, and says nothing

Paulie takes a deep hit and says the universe is like a big snake eating itself while fucking itself while a slutty nun watches

Tony gets a big boner and is now wearing a Roman centurion outfit

Paulie: u gonna kill jesus or wat tone? *hehehe*

A bear shapeshifts into the severed head of john the Baptist and says this is all a dream of smoke and vapor, as hesh and 'jamal ginzberg the hasidic homeboy 'walk by holding hands

Monk 3; damn cripple cocks. Let them fuck with the jesus

A Japanese zero flies out of the sun and kamikazis into tonys house

Tony lifts his sword to the sun while thinking of the Roman emperor hadrian

Paulie: you dreaming the histiry channel again , T?

Aj flies a jumbo jet into the tallest building in Los santos and paulie imagines going home soon to fap to threes company reruns, Which tony hears telelathically - he realizes He's still tripping in the forest when the jersey devil walks by, as the new jersey devils beat the new York rangers 3-1, and 31 years in the past a park ranger from new York sees the Jersey devil, and 333 years in the past a Russian fur trapper gets lost in the pine barrens and vaporous fog expels from his lungs as he dies alone with the jersey devil and a bunch of albino ghosts, as agent harris reviews the evidence for how jews did 9/11 , nine hundred and 11 days in the past a Jew is about to get his cock further mutilated by some wops in an attic,As Janice smokes a joint, eats cheseburgers, and listens to Zeppelin. bitch knows how to have fun
>>
>>63390791
He was on the lamb. All bets are off.
>>
tony didn't get whacked

the audience did
>>
>>63390791
The guy who shot tony didn't even know phil was dead. As that's how the hits were organized. No contact till the job is done.
>>
Of course he died. What meaning does the ending have if he lives? And don't say "he'll always be paranoid of getting whacked" because that fear had been there for years and is just avoiding the obvious answer that he does die
>>
>>63390927
Yes, but rules are rules, especially when it comes to a boss, whether or not the OK has been given out by his own family. They had a line on him now. Not to mention they also shot him in the head which was a major sign of disrespect and would have given Phil a closed casket.

The Lupertazzi family, especially Butchie, would have been persevered as weak, considering the Jersey crew status of the Sopranos. They had to retaliate and return the favor in spades. This is indicated in the episode in 6a where Nancy Sinatra signs to both Tony and Phil when Phil is officially named boss and says "what are you two going home together?" indicating they will share the same fates.
>>
who knows. chase doesn't even know if he's alive or dead. that was the point. it was a pretty fucking shitty and pretentious ending honestly.
>>
>>63390703
You remember how Phil leotardo got whacked? In front of his grand children and a crowd of onlookers? A recurring theme of the show- which intensified as seasons progressed- was the decay and abandonment of old school mafia principles. Remember that opening monologue of Tony's: “It’s good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I’m getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over.”

The actions of the new York and jersey families grow progressively more at odds with the values they claim to espouse.

Tony was definitely, 100% killed. The final scene was shot to suggest the responding shots after the door bell rings are from Tony's own eyes. Note how after each shot of the doorway, we get the same close-up of his face. Upon the final bell toll (again, a recurring motif in the series with telephones and churches), he looks up and our acconpanying perspective shot is blank. Chase intended for their fo be no credits; just 5 minutes of black without sound. Tony is unconscious at the very least. The members only guy also went into the bathroom just like Vito did in the godfather: Tony's favourite scene of one of his favourite movies. Typical of Chase- an ironic twist of fate.
>>
File: lookadisasshole.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lookadisasshole.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
Sopranos thread?
Favorite ending scene?
House arrest for me, comfy, yet definitely implies just how narrow the world of these guys is and how very unlikely it is to leave it.
>>
>>63390994
If you're implying that guy was the hitter sent after Tony in the initial wave that got Bobby and Sil, no, Butch thought they'd get Sil and Tony at the same place, ie the Bing, so the two guys who shot at Patsy and Sil where expecting Tony to be there too.
>>
>>63389804

No.

>>63390587

BrBa ending was 'okay'. It wasnt good, great or anything, it was just okay.
>>
DUDE GABAGOOL LMAO
>>
>>63391007
No.

Tony goes on the lamb, he ain't partying it up on a road trip with Carmella & the kids. No one liked Leotardo.

As a man beloved man in the workplace, they will make waves on your behalf. Tony was loved & respected, the Saddam Hussein of New Jersey.
>>
>>63391014
That's wrong I'm afraid. Do your research.

I'm truly sorry the show went over your head. If I had the power to ban people who make these unsubstantiated, buzzword loaded remarks about the finale from ever watching quality tv again, I would use and abuse it. You're literally the kind of arrogant, barely literate middlebrow person David chase was mocking throughout the entire show.
>>
>lamb
>>
>>63391039

Blue Comet. Just that scene of Tony going up the stairs, laying in bed with his gun, looking at the door and that perfect fucking music. I was left in awe after seeing this. Just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7UZ3_L1bQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=97
>>
>>63391126
That's the thing though, at that point Tony wasn't loved or respected any more, at least not like he was. He had gone to great lengths to alienate virtually everyone in his inner circle.
>>
>>63390151
No
>>
>>63391239
Loved that one, the sense of dread, uncertainty, all there. Really great ending for a penultimate episode.
>>
>>63391284
Tony goes out like a man though, no?
>>
>>63391352
Not in a dinner in front of his wife & kids.
>>
>>63391352
>shot in the back of the head at dinner in front of his whole family
>face down in a basket of onion rings and puddles of Coca-Cola while the outtro of "Don't Stop Believing" fades away
>like a man

i guess
>>
>>63391383
In the Bada Bing, later that night, as Patsy is counting the take.

No?
>>
>>63391411
Standards.

Even the Italian mafia has them.

Or is your beloved Carmine a degenerate?
>>
>>63391496
See
>>63391025
>>
>>63391025
Best answer in this thread. Tony died.

I also remember reading somewhere that Chase wanted the black screen to last a full 30 seconds with no credits at all, but HBO wouldn't allow it. That ending would have made it even more obvious that Tony was whacked.
>>
>>63391526
Phil was on the run.

Tony was triumphant.

BIG DIFFERENCE.
>>
File: 1446362283105.jpg (23 KB, 263x263) Image search: [Google]
1446362283105.jpg
23 KB, 263x263
>>63391148
do you talk like this to people in real life? no of course not. your faggot ass would get a fractured skull.
>>
>>63389804
What's a good episode to watch ?
>>
>>63391720
Put episode 1 on and keep watching until episode 86
>>
>>63391622
The mafia that kills a mob boss in front of his family... is from now on a "nigger organization".

You wops sit pretty with that?
>>
>>63391739
Da fug outahear
>>
>>63391239
The shot of Tony entering the house is the same angle used before the other Tony gets killed.
>>
He's absolutely right.
>>
File: Pepe Walnuts.jpg (148 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Walnuts.jpg
148 KB, 830x1262
>>63391768
The fuck to say?
Getta loada dis guy T
>>
>>63391688
Not by you though. 90% chance I'm taller, heavier and better looking than you.

Great response btw, really reconsidering my interpretation of the sopranos now. How does it feel to be illiterate ad unable to articulate opinions without the aid of a GB folder of response images? LE WAR WITH REDDIT XDD
>>
>>63391720
Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood
Great episode, a standalone sort of one, entertaining, different from the rest.
>>
>>63391806

>heh eh
>>
>>63391751
Big shit eating grin Mic over here wants to know.
>>
>>63389804
It doesn't matter, we saw almost every mobster in that show end up either in jail or shot. Tony was not gonna have a fairytale ending
>>
>>63391688

he is right though, sopranos was a critique of millennial americans like yourself.
>>
>>63390151
No, Tony was too afraid to admit that Pussy was the rat so he got Jimmy killed.
>>
>>63391622
There isn't really though. Butchie never liked Tony, given the final insults of hitting him in front of his family and denying him an open casket funeral, captains would be coming to him about this disrespect, that a glorified crew from Jersey can get away with whacking a Five Families boss like that, regardless of what deals where cut. Butch would lose face to his captains and they'd stop kicking up to him if he where to let that go.

You're saying that they have rules, that Tony wouldn't have gotten it that night, but just because Phil was on the lam it was whatever to do him all sorts of dirty like that? Seems you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the show.
>>
Anyone ever eat the restaurant the final scene is shot in? It's a great little place, I go for dinner there a lot.

Can we turn this into a Soprano's shooting locations thread instead of circlejerk about the unanswerable question as to whether or not Tony got whacked (esp. since it doesn't change the story either way in terms of themes).
>>
>>63391930
Butchie was always a bitch.

Lil' Carmine was dumb, & not smart dumb like you fuckers dildo about.

Tony was prime to make a takeover.

Patsy was the one to call, yet he was makinng cake because of Tony.

Carlo.

Carlo turned state evidence.
>>
He's fucked anyway. He'll either go to prision or get whacked eventually since he made so many enemies. Even if he survives things would never be the same since most of his crew is dead.
>>
>>63391933
>(esp. since it doesn't change the story either way in terms of themes).

I don't agree with you, but that's cool how you eat there often. I want to visit the states some day and thanks to the sopranos, new Jersey is on my bucket list. Do you live in jersey?
>>
>>63392032
>Tony was prime to make a takeover
kek that''s a laugh, he skated by on the thin of his teeth

>he's one of those "fuggin epig Tony such a badass!" posters
nvm

Either way, even if he didn't get popped he went to the can thanks to Carlo flipping on who knows how many guys, could have crippled the whole hierarchy of the family.
>>
>>63391933
Does it mean anything to you that Chase made several specific changes/alteration to the interior layout of Holden's for the shooting of the final scene? I've heard that before they went in there, there where none of those mini juke boxes on the tables, that the Men's Room that the members only guy goes into is actually just a broom closet and very small. That whole entire mural on the back wall, or parts of it.
>>
>>63392106
The Esplanade, HUD, all huge earners.

Of which the "Italian" mafia is short of now a days.
>>
>>63392169
Or are degenerate gamblers, coke & whores now a new trend?
>>
>>63392169
All of which Carlo knew a great deal about, was a part of. Carlo being flipped is probably the killing blow for the Soprano crew.

>>63392221
>a new trend
there's nothing new about gamblers, coke heads and whores intermingling with the mafia
>>
>>63391042
Three hitters, three targets, the two guys at the bing thought they'd get lucky, get tony, and get more money. They weren't specifically ordered to kill tony.
>>
>>63392302
I called the Carlo ordeal.

Which would be slow & consuming enough.

Who would Tony name? Who would be left to call?

>tfw Bitch ass Butchie
>>
>>63392306
Butch specifically mentions to Phil on the phone that they figured Tony would be at the Bing! with Sil.
>>
>>63391933
tfw Satriale's got demolished
>>
>>63392366
>implying Tony would flip

or did you mean who he would name to take over? Tony could probably work through a back channel and cut out some deal with Larry Boy to take the rap for running things, since he was already going down anyway, like how he pinned Tony's first hit on Jackie Aprile.
>>
>>63392086
I just feel that Tony either ended up in jail, whacked, or living his life in fear. And in the end I think that's all the same thing--the point being that he loses his freedom whether literally or metaphorically.

I do live in Jersey. I live three blocks from the Pizzaland building in the intro and go to school about 7 minutes from Tony's house. They used to film all around my hometown, and once even next door. There's a picture hanging around of my little brother playing soccer with some of the kids during a day shoot.

I was at Holsten's on a date once a year and a half back and there was a documentary of some sort going on in Tony's booth. I've meant to look for it on the internet, but no luck since.

>>63392160
The jukebox thing is true. The actual Men's room is the door to the right of the one in the show. The mural on the back wall is completely different. From memory, the mural on the back wall actually takes up the whole wall (in the show, the back wall is separated into sports stuff and a painting) and it's a painting of a little girl on her porch(?). However everything else is pretty authentic.

When you go in now, there's stuff from the shoot all framed on the walls. Pictures of Chase and Gandolfini with the owners, etc. The day he died, they "reserved" the booth he sits at in the show.
>>
>>63392426
Idk why but all those specific changes say something to me, Chase did all of that for some very specific reason
>>
>>63392414
Tony would die first. Or better yet the greatest episode of the Sopranos Kingfished by Chase.

No.

Slow accusations. Carlo still trusted.
Until not. Trial...

many a seasons could be had...

Guilty.

Patsy & Paulie are left, Sil is a vegetable.
>>
>not realising that Patsy and Paulie struck a deal with New York to kill both Tony and Phil

Paulie constantly snitches to New York right across the series. He's always complaining to them.

Patsy hates Tony, he killed his twin brother. Patsy is the new boss, Paulie is underboss and Patsy's son is consig.
>>
>>63392579
Paulie vented, but...?

Patsy was in line to make bank, why would he let NY cut in?
>>
>>63392579
It would probably be a lot more chaotic than that. I'd be willing to bet that Patsy would try to do what Tony did with Christopher, with his son Jason, that is to say he would make his son a buffer or go between with the rest of the guys.

If Paulie wound up in the big seat I'd bet he'd try to do the same thing with Little Paulie, or he would be way to gung ho and draw lots of heat. And then you have the rest of the middle management like Benny who probably wouldn't be too happy with being stepped over.

Regardless of whether or not Tony wound up in prison or dead, rough times lie ahead, a bloody power vacuum like in New York after Carmine Senior died.
>>
>>63392656
You don't seem to understand that the Sopranos and Lupertazzi's were one in the same and not really two separate entities. The Sopranos were a glorified crew and had been kicking up a decent cut to the Lupertazzis for some time.

Whether or not Patsy was in line to make bank by taking over the Aprile crew, New York was going to cut in regardless. And Paulie very nearly started a war by venting to Johnny Sack. Once he found out that Johnny was playing him, he was worried about getting whacked because in his eyes he knew that what he'd done was basically ratting. That whole time he was "venting" to John, he was under the impression that Johnny was keeping Carmine Senior in the loop and that Paulie was going to jump families. Johnny played the fuck out of him.
>>
>>63392742
& this is how it dies. Jason or Lil' Paulie for the sad kingdom of what was.
>>
In the very first episode of the series, in his first conversation with Melfi, Tony said he feels like he's come in at the end of something good.

Something good = his life
The end = death
Coming in now = the start of the series (pilot)

The show is one big lead up to his death
>>
They hinted at it the whole season.

The no music and cut to black confirmed it.
>>
>>63392829
>>63392829
>>63392829
Tony built some serious shit son. Or were you not paying attention.
>>
>>63389804

>Let's settle this once and for all. Did tony get whacked?

There is no answer because Chase hints at the end that it's "Any way you want it."

Pay close attention to the song titles on the jukebox. That's the only answer. If you believe he got killed, then that's what happened. If you believe he beat the rap and is still being a gangster, then that's what happened.
>>
>>63390882
>mfw I read the whole thing
>>
>>63390587
>Sopranos is shit
>circlejerking BrBa's ending
>in a Gabbagool thread
kek
The only finals you have the right to sperg about are the ones you're taking right now, you freshman fag.
>>
>>63392929
Lmao what?

A shitty spec house that will surely kill cousin Brian and his family?
>>
>>63391933
If I ever go near new jersey Im going eat in that resturant, I hope I get there before it closes or changes.
>>
>>63393309
Esplanade!

Sea front property, bitch.

Trump would be all over it, but you're too cool?
>>
>>63393309
Tony had nothing to do with that, that was Carm's shitty house
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 485x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 485x458
>tfw as a Finnish guy watching the final episode air for the first time in a New Jersey Holiday Inn

Purely coincidental though. We visited the Satin Dolls exterior etc on that trip too :)
>>
Help. Season 3, Army of One. What did the ending mean where three songs play over Junior's rendition of Core Ngrato?
>>
File: 1440638881345.png (59 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
1440638881345.png
59 KB, 500x503
>>63389804
>he thinks it matters if tony died
>>
>>63391891

Lol no
>>
File: baitt.png (308 KB, 829x903) Image search: [Google]
baitt.png
308 KB, 829x903
>>63389804
>Let's settle this once and for all
>>
>>63393599
Meaning?

Closure... besides Rosie Aprile/

Junior should now be personified as your favorite though
>>
>>63393686
But why the three songs?
>>
>>63391025
>jersey families

how many times, IT'S A GLORIFIED CREW FA CHRIST'S SAKE
>>
>>63393666
>tfw those Bocas were mine but I was waited....
>>
>>63390077
Oh, for crying out loud. Obviously he didn't DEFINITELY die, in the same way that Breaking Bad didn't end with Walter White DEFINITELY dying.

But when you spend the entire fucking episode, and the three episodes before it, discussing how death is swift, and you won't see it coming, and then two scenes before the very end you get a flashback to Bobby talking about how you don't even hear the bullet, it's very fucking heavily implied that the swift cut to black is Tony getting a bullet to the back of the head.
>>
>>63393704
Buy the completer album then, available on Amozon I'm sure
>>
>>63391039
i loved this ending. almost like the cops wanted to be a part of the mafia
>>
>>63390077
How small are the hoops you jumped through to get to this?

>Any other ending could not have conveyed this, which is why it ended with an abrupt cut.
Any other ending couldn't have simulated the abruptness of death and the emptiness that follows. After 80 hours of watching Tony's life and the past few minutes seeing things from his literal point of view, its all torn away in an instant and left with silence and darkness. How did you experience that and think it was only meant to be about the possibility of death?
>>
core 'ngrato is a great song & Chianese brings me to tears, but Silent Night is a Christmas tradition & Miley sung her heart out.

There are worse rich people to hate...
>>
>>63393458
Lol

Tony indulged her fantasy of self-reliance

Carm didn't make shit happen
>>
>>63393599
"That singing thing is about how all over the world people engage in pure sentimentality. Everyone loves a good cry. And I don’t mean to denigrate funerals or death. It also has something to do with entertainment, filmed entertainment. Music can be used so manipulatively. And Junior, who is the most selfish character in the cast, is pouring his heart out. Didn’t mean a thing. Just to wallow in the moment…Pop music is so abused and overused, manipulated and employed in the service of the devil. It was to give the audience a laugh about how they are being manipulated everyday." - Chase
>>
>>63392426
>I live three blocks from the Pizzaland building in the intro and go to school about 7 minutes from Tony's house. They used to film all around my hometown, and once even next door. There's a picture hanging around of my little brother playing soccer with some of the kids during a day shoot.

>who could ever dox me, it's just an internet image board!
>>
>>63394080
wait,wait,wait....you left a youtube comment about that.
>>
>>63394080
Dang, I didn't wanna get doxed. I just wanted to share personal knowledge of the show. There's a bit of pride in my town and the other surrounding towns about the Sopranos being shot there.
>>
>>63393976
He leaned on the inspector so she would stfu about Adriana

It was her money and her dad built the house

He had nothing to do with the project, the fact that it's a shit house is all on Carm
>>
>In Ralph's first scene, Tony tells him 'No more fires'

I dunno why, but that still impresses me
>>
>>63390123

nah it was the white dude who came in and went to the bathroom...
>>
File: ljbF6Qrd.jpg (18 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
ljbF6Qrd.jpg
18 KB, 258x258
>It's a Tony eats food and breathes heavily episode
>>
>>63391933
Is that the Tick Tock diner?
>>
>>63394650
U got tricked senpai
>>
>>63394895

>It's a Chris and Paulie's Bizarre Adventure episode
>>
>>63390587
the breaking bad ending was positively meh. It ended and wrapped up everything, but nothing in it was really that spectacular.
I guessed the laser pointer scene as it happened and everyone watching complained I knew spoilers.
>>
>>63391496
the Italian mafia kills families all the time
>>
>>63395261
Shut up eggplant, Miley is on.
>>
>>63395297
Am I wrong. or is this not the greatest rendittion of a Christmas song ever?
>>
>>63389804
We will never know because David Chase was too much of a weak-kneed faggot to decisively kill or spare his characters in the series finale. Inb4 he left clues. Shut up. He has stated in multiple interviews that he intentionally left it ambiguous. It is up to le viewer to decide le fate. Dropped. Fucking garbage.
>>
File: 1442719377310.jpg (172 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1442719377310.jpg
172 KB, 1024x576
>there are people on /tv/ right now, who 8 years after it aired, are still fixating on whether Tony died or not
>you share this board with people who don't understand that the point of the scene was the fragility of life, and how the best we can do to combat against that fragility is to 'focus on the good times'
>>
>>63395574
this

DON'T STOP
>>
>>63389804
Let's settle this once and for all, was it a nursing home or a retirement community?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81 KB, 1920x1080
>>63391148
>That's wrong I'm afraid. Do your research.
You're wrong, you fucking mongoloid. Obviously, you've done zero research. He's stated it in multiple interviews: the ending is uncertain according to him. Do you watch Jeopardy? On an episode a little over a month ago there was even a TV clue about the Sopranos that quoted David Chase specifically alluding to the fact that he made the ending ambiguous:

>TV Creators, $200
>David Chase said, "The final scene" of this mobbed-up show "has no right or wrong answer"

Let's test that theory right now:
Tony was killed. Correct.
Tony was not killed. Also correct.
Wtf is this gay shit?

>I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds or maybe everybody's mind that he was killed ... Whether this is the end here, or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But obviously he stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us. [...] Life is short. Either it ends here for Tony or some other time. But in spite of that, it's really worth it. So don't stop believing.
-David "Fuck Closure" Chase

http://www.inquisitr.com/2011041/david-chase-breaks-down-the-sopranos-ending-talks-tony-soprano-death/
>>
>>63393748

>Bobby Baccliari gets shot like 39 times in the gut
>Implying he didnt feel the bullets
>>
>>63395574
So that line at the end of the previous episode "You probably don't even hear it when it happens" was just a throwaway line?
>>
>>63396665

its not a throwaway line, but theres still no evidence that T gets whacked in the finale as much I think its likely he did

Tony was a shockingly philosophical guy and the entire show indicates that the reason he made it as illegitimate boss of Jersey was because he was a hyperintelligent guy that squandered his potential because of his temper and family connections

He often ponders his life, the meaning of his struggles, the implications, and the abruptness of death that he oftens deals out

IMO hes like a soldier that has been around death, receiving and dealing for so long, that he has an enlightened sentiment regarding it but doesnt feel he has earned the right to joke about it to others like soldiers do
>>
Yes, David Chase made James blow up like a fucking balloon and got a heart attack because of it

David Chase killed Tony
>>
>>63396665
No you're missing my point. People are so caught up with whether he lived or died (and the line you quoted definitely supports the notion of him dying), but Chase himself has said that that's not the point of the final scene. To answer the question of whether Tony lives or dies, or to explicity show it (i.e. not cut to black) would diminish what he was going for, which was invoking a feeling more than it was about providing closure
>>
>>63396946

I truly believe this show is the most patrician of all dramas for this reason

I got the nuances of this show for the most part but there were a lot of episodes where not only did I realize i was missing a lot of symbolism and important messages for the viewer, but I felt like I could write 5 different essays for multiple scenes in each episode regarding different interpretations
>>
Watch the final scene again, Meadow almost gets run over by Phil's wife.
>>63394533
>her money
lols were had
>>
>>63397086
absolutely. It's so rife with symbolism without ever being pretentious. I attribute that to something Chase said that I remember reading - it was something to the effect of how he hates how so often the television characters serve as talking heads for the writers and end up spewing off pretentious bullshit nonstop. Think True Detective Season 2.

By sprinkling in dialogue that raises spirtiual/philosophical questions/issues among a lot of just everyday normal talk, The Sopranos manages to seamlessly address several themes while never feeling forced.

Off the top of my head, the Kevin Finnerty coma experience and the ensuing hospital stay illustrate this very well. These episodes explored mortality, the afterlife (or if there even is one), if there is a higher power, and free will vs determinism. I can't imagine how fucking cringe-inducing it would have been if that hack Pizza man tried doing something equally as ambitious in TD S2.

I'm just curious - what are your thoughts on the Ojibwe saying posted in Tony's hospital room? Not who posted it, but what it may mean in the context of the show
>>
>>63397471
Yes, the show isn't pretentious, but the fans are.
>>
>>63397524
Isn't that true about any really hardcore fans of any tv show?
>>
File: butchie.jpg (6 KB, 280x156) Image search: [Google]
butchie.jpg
6 KB, 280x156
Jr escapes from prison and whacks Tony in the restaurant. He murders Meadow outside before killing Tony. Oh ya, and AJ was working with the Feds.
>>
>>63396491
With that fuckin gut of his I'm sure he didn't! Madone!
>>
>>63395355

he left it ambiguous so you would look at the clues dumbass. not everything should be just blatant and obvious. you want the ending picture to be tony's brains splattered all over the table and his kids? then you just dont get it. the cut to black was beautiful
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 500x294
>>
my favorite episode was the one where paulie and chris are taking the slav to the woods to execute him. "i am not russian, i am ukrainian! this! this is not cold!" ukrainian is digging his own grave them whacks them with his shovel and takes off in the woods. he's shot and everything but is a fucking slav commando polar bear and they lost his trail and get lost in the woods. they spend the night in a van and pull the carpet off the floor to stay warm. directed by Steve Buscemi. fucking hilarious
>>
>>63395574
The point of this thread isn't the metaphorical fixitations of the scene
It's very simple: did he die or didn't he?
We're not saying it matters, we're just curious, it's all just *gasp* discussion!
>>
>>63398850
Thanks for the synopsis, imdb.
>>
all I know is that The Wire was better than The Sopranos, yall are just racist
>>
>>63389804
He didn't die. Chase was messing with us. He stopped the series at a totally arbitrary point of no meaning. They finish their meal, go home, and get on with their lives. The story continues, but we don't get to see it.
>>
>>63398916

making pointless bitchy comments on the internet feels good to you because you're compensating and filling the hole inside
>>
>>63390077
Almost this, but not quite
>>
>>63398944
Pine Barrens is one of the most widely known and highly acclaimed episodes of the show.
I'm not going to bullshit some psychoanalysis based on your comment/need to describe the episode to established fans of the show, but I'll take a swing and say it's because you're a faggot.
>>
>>63398944

Butt-hole AMIRITE?!?!!?!??!
>>
>>63399058
I know >>63398916's bottom was impacted!
>>
>>63398731
No. That's not at all the reason why David Chase made the finale ambiguous, retard. Any dipshit can speculate as to the fate of Tony and his family. The Sopranos was David Chase's baby. He created the story and the characters. His ending is ultimately the only thing thing that matters. He dropped the ball. Hence we have these threads continually. The ending was dogshit. Do you see any threads about the Breaking Bad series finale and the fate of Walter White? I didn't think so. How about we apply this epic fade to black with other shows and why not expand it to films as well? Wouldn't that be neat. The Departed: Matt Damon opens the door to his apartment...and cut to black.

>the cut to black was beautiful
Said every pretentious fuckboi. Fuck off.
>>
>>63390077
Watch the scene again, does he look paranoid you fucking idiot?
>>
>>63399099

the ending was fucking brilliant because we're still making threads about The Sopranos ending. It will always live on because of that cut to black. nigga that wasn't no fade that was a cut

fade = life goes on shows over
cut = tony got shot in the head
>>
The real question is why do Sopranos threads attract such angsty edgelords?
>>
>>63399216
Maybe because the show is about edgelords?
>>
>>63399178
>the ending was fucking brilliant because we're still making threads about The Sopranos ending
Fantastic analysis, friendo. I vote that every tv show series finale employ this "brilliant" method from here on out in order that we might have endless circlejerks of speculation about would the real ending might for all of our favorite characters may or may not have been. Keeping my fingers crossed for cuts to black for GOT, Homeland, TD season 3, and many, many more. Cheers.
>>
>>63399216
Does that make you an edgelord, friendo?
>>
File: misfire.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
misfire.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Remember the scene where AJ was trying to read stopping by woods on a snowy evening by robert frost? Meadow said "white means death" then aj says "I THOUGHT BLACK MEANT DEATH?"

Heh heh
heh heh
>>
>>63399431

case closed
>>
>>63389804
>Let's settle this once and for all. Did meadow get blacked?
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.