[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disney Renaissance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: DR.jpg (196 KB, 1343x779) Image search: [Google]
DR.jpg
196 KB, 1343x779
What's your opinion on these movies? Overrated, better than what we have now in terms of animation, or both. I think they beat out the more recent cgi films, and it's not because of nostalgia nostalgia because I was only alive for the last few. Each movie had its own look with an artistic purpose in mind, and I always thought the 2D animations looked better because if a character had exaggerated features, it was to convey a certain demeanor and get a message about the character across, whereas the CGI characters just look goofy and deformed. The renaissance films also weren't afraid to hint at darker subject matter and symbolism.

The last few animated hits (Frozen, Inside Out, the Good Dinosaur) felt like generic kids movies with the adults getting on board ("omg guise it's so complex and relatable") because every person who wasn't miserable during a kids movie seems to act like they just saw a masterpiece when they're walking out of the theatre.

Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIbELk8Tzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whwz7z5DOjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04
>>
if you watch them when you're over 18 they are icky and manipulative
>>
>>63388325
Elaborate?
>>
>>63388211
Yes. The renaissance movies were great, mostly due to the mixture of traditional animation and cgi.

I agree that Inside Out and Good Dinosaur are generic, but they were made by Pixar who always make 3d movies.

What you want to pick at Disney for is films like Bolt, Tangled, and Frozen. Maybe Big Hero 6 if you take away Its beautiful aesthetic.

Lion King and Hercules are also shit.
>>
>>63388385
I always thought the little mermaid and rescuers shouldn't be considered and that the disney renaissance started with beauty and the Beast. There was nothing special about the little mermaid other than the money it grossed and Rescuers just happened to come after Mermaid and before Beauty.
>>
>>63388211
I think the whole renaissance might be overrated. At least a bit. Definitely Hercules and the Little Mermaid.

Btw does that mean we're in another renaissance with successful movies like Frozen or Wreck-It-Ralph?
>>
>>63388211
hunchback is my favorite all-time disney movie, and hellfire is GOAT
>>
>>63388469
>Btw does that mean we're in another renaissance with successful movies like Frozen or Wreck-It-Ralph?

No.

Just because they didn't flop didn't mean we're in another renaissance.
>>
>>63388442
I suppose you're right about the rescuers.

However, look at the Little Mermaid from a musical point of view. It was a big Disney film which had a huge focus on songs and music. The other renaissance films followed to boot.

>>63388469
Has Wreck it Ralph brought anything new to the forefront for popular animation?
>>
>>63388571
Well the recent movies were better received than Chicken Little or whatever that was back when they tried to be like Pixar or Dreamworks.
>>
>>63388442
>nothing special
it was the first animated film that fully embraced musicals since Disney's glory days, and they hired the hottest musical composers of the time, Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.
>>
File: rose.jpg (1 MB, 3052x1896) Image search: [Google]
rose.jpg
1 MB, 3052x1896
Can someone name a Beauty & the Beast flaw?

Always has been a perfect film to me.
>>
>>63388633
There is no ost for the prologue without the voice over. That's it.
>>
>>63388442
>I always thought the little mermaid and rescuers shouldn't be considered
You are wrong then. Look at what Disney was doing in the rest of the 80s compared to The Little Mermaid. Of course box office gross counts too, it was a comeback for Disney critically, culturally and financially.
Rescuers is the odd man out though, but you can chalk that up to probably being in production before the new "Renaissance" mindset had been implemented
>>
>>63388633

gaston did nothing wrong
>>
I've been rewatching most of the Disney studio movies and still feel the Renaissance is the best period. There is something to be said of the classical animation and Fantasia is the best film overall but consistently I found myself appreciating 90's Disney the most.

At the very least Little Mermaid-Beauty and the Beast-Aladdin-The Lion King are all near perfect with the rest being very good if flawed in some way.

I also quite like post-Renaissnace Disney because at that point they had to break out of their own mold, even if it had absolute worthless tripe like Home on the Range and Chicken Little.
>>
File: howard_ashman.jpg (130 KB, 1038x1499) Image search: [Google]
howard_ashman.jpg
130 KB, 1038x1499
Is this board too /pol/ to admit that this man saved Disney?
>>
Hunch back was on tv the other day and I was shocked at how poorly it aged. Felt like I was watching a straight to video movie. havent seen any other in a long time, have they all aged poorly?
>>
>>63388385
>Lion King is shit

What's it like to be the plebbiest pleb that ever plebbed you fucking pleb?
>>
>>63388694
Hunchback was always a terrible adaptation, the only saving grace is Frollo really
>>
>>63388211
These will always be the GOAT Disney movies because they're mostly about the MC not knowing/being unsure of/unhappy with their place in the world and eventually finding it. Those are the best kinds of stories for kids.

Some do it better than others, Tangled and Frozen certainly go in that direction but in the end they didn't hit the mark like those did. Wreck-It Ralph is honestly one of my favourites because of that great-tier beginning and ending despite all that Sugar Rush shit.
>>
>>63388633
Human form Beast.
>>
>>63388686
it was more Menken. He was the strongest with melodies and his ballads will live on forever.
>>
>>63388694
I've seen The Lion King, Alladin, Mulan and The Little Mermaid (for the first time) in recent years and they all hold up for the most part. Hercules hasn't really, its very goofy. Nothing is ever as good as when you're a kid though
>>
>>63388679
>Little Mermaid
>near perfect

yeah nah
>>
File: Beauty and the Beast in 120s.webm (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Beauty and the Beast in 120s.webm
3 MB, 320x180
>>
>>63388653
Yes there is. Check youtube, I don't have a link but I have downloaded it from there not so long ago.
>>
Tarzan remains one of Disney's worst animated films.
>>
Reminder that the Oscarplebs made the best Animation category because they were scared of how close Beauty and the Beast was to winning it
>>
>>63388787
Meh. It's basically like on any normal VHS.
>>
>>63388763
Why does everybody love LM so much?
Sure Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl are good songs but that's basically it for me (don't see why people love part of your world at all).

I think part of why I dislike it is the whole retarded shit with Prince Eric. They make it seem like he is the whole reason she defected because he's such a vital part of the contract with Ursula. Makes you forget the issues with her father and the Part of Your World song because it leaves the impression she was a stupid bitch that did everything because of some hot guy.
Also Arielle was kind of an irrseponsible bitch even in the beginning with not showing up to that party and all. Imagine having a kid like that for 16 years, no wonder her dad was a ragetard.
>>
>>63388816
Hercules is pretty terrible, too. It made me stop wanting to watch Disney, and I was only around 8 when it came out.
>>
>actually disliking Hercules
Why? It's a GOAT film with some great performances

>James woods, based /pol/ actor
>Devito

It's good stuff
>>
>>63388787
Maybe it's because I'm a pleb, but these "movie in 2 minutes" webms give me a better understanding of color decisions in movies.
>>
>>63388737
Was going to post this. Only thing I can think of, and it's not that big of a deal.

>>63388893
>Sure Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl are good songs but that's basically it for me (don't see why people love part of your world at all).
Are you me?
>>
>>63388715
> tfw this came on after Ralph described his shitty life and the meeting didn't help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0KGNevngw
>>
I've never seen Mulan (only the lame sequel unfortunately). Is it among the best of the bunch?
>>
literally tumblr: the genre
>>
>>63388909
if you're ever on acid and don't know what to do, watch Hurcules
>>
>>63388787
Man I loved that opening song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1MmY1Bb50
Seems pretty on the nose now but I guess I identified with being the odd one out.
>>
Reminder that /tv/ only dislikes the Disney Renaissance because normies and tumblr love it or theyre Dreamworksfags butthurt no one talks about El Dorado or Prince of Egypt anymore. Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Hunchback are great films.
>>
>>63388816
True
>>
>>63388211
I like pretty much all of them and it's hard to find faults without nitpicking.
>>
>>63388957
YES
E
S

GOAT music, great story.
Of course, if it came out today everybody would go "muh stronk female character".
>>
>>63389001
> ywn grow up in provincial france
>>
>>63389102
Rather muh pandering to the Chinese market. Which it sorta was anyway.
>>
>>63389137
And it turns out China didn't care. Whereas it was exotic in the West it was just "another" historical epic in China, and didn't do any more than a usual Disney film there
>>
>>63389177
No Disney, but the same thing happened with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, too. Another movie that was praised here for its women characters.
>>
File: 1440755754618.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440755754618.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
Best song coming through
>>
>>63389137
>>63389177
Well it's being remade as a live action iirc, let's see if they have better luck this time.
>>
File: 1442428080532.jpg (45 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1442428080532.jpg
45 KB, 600x480
>>63389255
Fuck forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEpavnk7Uw
>>
>>63389286
It's nice but not even the best character song of the movie (which are Out There and Hellfire).
>>
>>63388816

It's OK.

Everything from 2000-2008 is worse.
>>
>>63388633
The beast is 20 years old.

Which means that some old cunt witch came knocking on the castle door when the prince was 11. He answered the door, and told her to fuck off because he's a god damn prince, and he doesn't want strangers in the castle.

Then she curses him, and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE CASTLE for no reason whatsoever.

Witches: no sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>63388816
> Phil Collins singing the songs instead of the characters

Absolutely disgusting.

>>63388900
What did you not like about it? I actually have a friend who hates it, too, says he didn't like the artstyle, the way the clouds and chins and stuff looked.
I loved it.
>>
>>63389257
Fa Mu Lan is their actual national hero. They'd like to do it themselves. And better.
>>
>>63389323
Witches be bitches, anon, don't you know that rule?
>>
>>63389363
>What did you not like about it?

In general, it's just really goofy in a way that the other Disney renaissance movies aren't. The looks is more cartoonish and the characters are worse. I also don't like how the music was done. I've always though it came off more like a dumb kids movie than the movies before it.

I was also a huge fan of the Kevin Sorbo Hercules show as a kid, and thought the Dinsey version was disappointing in comparison.
>>
>>63388211
Top row is great. Bottom row ranges from mediocre to decent.
>>
>>63389286
I fucking loved that whole "This is the tale of a man and a monster" and then "What makes a monster and what makes a man?" lines as a kid. Was 2deep4me, it blew me away

> tfw I will never be impressed like that again because I've seen too many films by now
>>
>>63389363
>hating based Phil
He's the best part of the movie
>>
>>63388211
Aladdin, Lion King, Pocohontas was a super strong 3 year stretch
>>
>>63388211
Which is better? Disney or Bluth?
>>
>>63388893
Part of your world has one point in it that is fucking fantastic, the final implied crescendo where you think it's gonna have this big finish but then just ends with a soft reprise of the chorus. Given the subject matter and the feeling it's trying to convey of 'yes, that would be so great things would be perfect...! But, nope. I can only dream' it fits perfectly.

Most Disney songs are made or broken on one line or moment like this.
>>
>>63388957
Mulan will, if you go into it with an honest 90s mindset, make you feel things that your waking self would chastise you for

Beyond that it's a gorgeous movie.
>>
>>63389714
Other than Nimh and Anastasia, his movies are garbage
>>
>>63389609
I've only seen Tarzan once as a kid and barely remember anything other than You'll be in my heart.
Same with Brothers Bear.

Do you suggest Tarzan is worth rewatching?
>>
PRINCE ALI
MIGHTY IS HE
ALI ABABWA
>>
>>63389806
Tarzan is held together only by the most underrated Disney waifu of all time

It's a no from me otherwise, they could have done better
>>
>>63388211
Aside from Pocahontas and Rescuers I love every single one of those movies.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 500x333
>>63389002
I've never seen anyone say thinking El Dorado
>>
>>63390121
>>63389002
Fuck me.

I mean I've never seen anyone say they dislike El Dorado
>>
>>63390169
It has mixed reviews IIRC, I was pretty shocked seeing it only has 50% or something on RT (not that RT matters but still).
>>
>>63388984
Eh, it's more tumblr appropriated it, and even then that's thanks to Disney merchandising to the kids that would become tumblrites. If they didn't know it from beforehand they'd just dismiss them.
>>
>>63388211
not a whole lot of inventive animation in any of them
nor for that matter interesting narratives
it's hard to think well of them when truly amazing animations like akira exist
>>
I'd like to take this moment to politely remind everyone that A Goofy Movie is unmitigated dogshit and one of the worst animated features of all time
>>
>>63390202
Tumblr hates Disney for making its female leads attractive.
>>
I personally loved Hercules artstyle but there was something off about the movie as a whole

Its weird like each individual part of it I really like, the voices are fantastic, the story is well done if a bit too 'easy', the music is fun (I think it may be here that it lacks, beyond 'go the distance' none of the songs have staying power)

I dunno it just doesn't all gel together well.
>>
How was it decided when the renaissance began?

I mean Basil and Oliver are both held in pretty high regards.
Black Cauldron obviously being a flop wouldn't count.
>>
>>63390548
The success of The Little Mermaid. If you want to get technical then the implementation of the CAPS system I guess
>>
Is Frollo the most complex character Disney has ever created?

There's so much going on with his motivations and his reactions to it and of all the Disney villains he's the one that I think is a true tragic character rather than a straight up evil one
>>
>>63388385
Inside Out, generic how?
>>
>>63388677
>>63388737
>>63389323

None of these are flaws.
>>
>>63388385
>Lion King is shit
U wot m8?
>>
>>63388708
I was never able to watch the lion king as a kid. My parents were big on the whole "boycott disney" thing.

When I watched it a few years ago, it was a little lame. I didn't like simba or any character for that matter. It had some catchy songs though, but not catchy enough for me to watch the movie again any time soon
>>
>>63391242
>The last few animated hits (Frozen, Inside Out, the Good Dinosaur) felt like generic kids movies with the adults getting on board ("omg guise it's so complex and relatable") because every person who wasn't miserable during a kids movie seems to act like they just saw a masterpiece when they're walking out of the theatre.

From OP. I agree with this to an extent.

>>63390196
Prince of Egypt was better.

>>63392832 see:
>>63392984

>>63391038
Frollo is the perfect villain.
>>
>>63388211
>ending with Tarzan

this is always the most accurate.

These are all good movies though.

My only nitpicking: the Lion King is stupidly overrated and The Rescuers Downunder is simply underrated.

But I will say this with 100% certainty.

None of this would have happened if Don Bluth didn't light a fire under their ass by leaving and showing there was still public interest for 2D animated films.
>>
>>63388211
Bottom half aren't part of the disney renaissance, IMO. And the late 80s, early 90s was neo-renaissance, not renaissance. TYVM.

I always post this in every thread like this, but

Reminder, if you think anything after Lion King is good, you're an underage brat. Hercules is borderline good, but the Beyonce monkey girl crap ruins it. Go the Distance is probably the last good disney song, sadly.

mulan, tarzan... can't hold a fucking candle compared to most of the neo-renaissance films, which is why I don't consider them part of that holy group.

That being said, lilo and stitch, and atlantis are some of my favourites, fucking love sci fi, and they are the only two scifi films in the official series that they've done.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.