[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, I got a couple of questions What did the pregnant lady
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
File: Ver-online-entertainment.jpg (74 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ver-online-entertainment.jpg
74 KB, 720x1080
Okay, I got a couple of questions

What did the pregnant lady in the bathroom mean?
Why did that group of people play Marco Polo in the nude?
What was Michael Cera's purpose in the film?
Why did he breakdown at the party?
Was that the same Tim from The Comedy?
Was this movie good or pretentious indie film crap?
>>
>>63387916
>Was this movie good or pretentious indie film crap?
The latter. It was pretty terrible, and not enjoyable at all
>>
>>63387966
I know it was "boring" and nothing much happened plot-wise but I can't stop thinking about this movie.
>>
File: Entertainment.jpg (59 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Entertainment.jpg
59 KB, 800x450
>>63387916
>What did the pregnant lady in the bathroom mean?

However it made you feel it what it meant. Obvious reading could be issues w/ his daughter.

>Why did that group of people play Marco Polo in the nude?

Same, it was a hazy fever dream. Almost Lynchian. Did it happen? How much of it?

>What was Michael Cera's purpose in the film?

To show that Neil was so lonely he'd consider bathroom sex with a stranger, yet didnt wanna give into that loneliness

>Why did he breakdown at the party?

Again I think he was staggeringly lonely and his estrangement from his daughter was fucking him up, as was life on the road and playing to those crowds obviously. So I guess he snapped. It felt degrading and constricting i'm sure to be in that cake freaking out.

>Was that the same Tim from The Comedy?

I hadn't thought about that but it's not bad head canon.

It was one of the best films of the year. Beautifully directed and photographed, Gregg's excellent.
>>
>>63388046
Well, you also wouldnt stop thinking about a hobo pissing on you. Doesnt mean its good or meaningful
>>
>>63388121
That's not a really good analogy but okay I get what you mean
>>
>>63387916
I would've liked it much better if he was the Neil Hamburger character the whole time.
>>
>>63387916
>Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegendary comedian Carrot Top
>>
Is there a torrent of this yet?
>>
>>63389159
WWWWWWWWWWWWWHYYYYY DID YOU POST THIS?
>>
File: autismfu.png (214 KB, 354x292) Image search: [Google]
autismfu.png
214 KB, 354x292
She did literally nothing by the way family
>>
>>63388085

Nice to see someone was paying attention to the film.

I was wondering when I saw Tim if it were the same character, other than the obvious money and actor, I can't support that. May go back and watch the Comedy again tonight to see if that's the same mansion.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, best directing i've seen all year and i'm a fan of Greggs.

5 bags of popcorn and a stillborn baby.
>>
>>63387916
>What did the pregnant lady in the bathroom mean?
Forlorn hope.
>Why did that group of people play Marco Polo in the nude?
Liberties and freedom in an arrested environment.
>What was Michael Cera's purpose in the film?
Impending doom.
>Why did he breakdown at the party?
Sudden realization, the worst kind of nightmare for the main character. Also, childbirth.
>Was that the same Tim from The Comedy?
No. It was also not the same Gregg from The Comedy.
It was LEGENDARY. LEGENDARY.
>>
Not as good as The Comedy. Sound design was pretty shit.
>>
>>63389331
>Sound design was pretty shit.
You're kidding, soundtrack and sound design of the fucking year.
>>
>>63389407
It was full of jarring background noise. The persistent ambiance and the middle eastern-like string usage, like an attempt to set some kind of strange tone that would have been better executed with just silence, it was completely unnecessary at times and became repetitive very quickly,
>>
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGENDARY
>>
>>63389532
>like an attempt to set some kind of strange tone
Worked beautifully, too.
>that would have been better executed with just silence
Oh god, shut the fuck up.
>>
File: donald dead.jpg (98 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
donald dead.jpg
98 KB, 504x470
>this whole thread
Im so sick of hipster bullshit non-movies like this
>>
So when did Michael Cera join the Tim and Eric group of hipsters?
>>
>>63389569
>shut the fuck up
no u, The Comedy did it and it was perfect.
>>
>>63389588
I'm sick of simpleton retards who need explosions in their movies.
>>
>>63389631
I'm more sick of self righteous shitheads who make the 'explosion' appeal whenever someone doesn't like a movie
>>
>>63389696
Yet you didn't say anything relevant about the movie, just used buzzwords as a defense mechanism for your own idiocy.
>>
>>63389725
The movie is designed to appeal to a very small number of pretentious people who treat it like the emperor's new clothes.
>>
>>63389725
I'm not the guy you were talking to. I loved Entertainment but I think your response to him was pitiful and even more empty than his criticism.
>>
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS SIR ELTON JOHN WITH A SABER TOOTH TIGER?
>>
File: enter.jpg (28 KB, 1280x476) Image search: [Google]
enter.jpg
28 KB, 1280x476
Really terrible. This is what I imagine a film student would do because he's in his 20s and "so depressed."

I mean, down to when the MC is chanting "WHY WHY WHY" it's just so pathetically transparent and boring. Films about depressed people are overdone and not interesting, and he's not really bringing anything here.

The Comedy was great because it looked at this depressed person through the eyes of these New York hipsters, but the "sad clown" thing has been done to death. Shit, even The Comedy has a "sad clown," but it's not so transparantly boring here.

Or how about that scene where the lady literally tells the audience what the colors are supposed to represent, and then the film decides to have random scenes with different colors?
>>
>>63389783
Cool ad-hominem, still says nothing about the movie itself.
>>63389785
But that wasn't criticism at all, and stop pretending to be two people, you simple cunt.
>>
>>63387916
This film was like a shitter Inside Llewyn Davis
ie. a film so focused on subtext and visual metaphors that it forgets the point of films and art (the point isn't to wave your hipster-cred around while sniffing your own farts)
ironic for a film called entertainment
>>
>>63389833
That's not what that scene was trying to convey at all. You also seem to have an issue with the depressing theme of these movies, so they at least touched a fiber there. All I read from the post is "depression is for people in their 20's, things will get better when I grow up".
>>
File: Untitled14.jpg (41 KB, 598x598) Image search: [Google]
Untitled14.jpg
41 KB, 598x598
>>63389843
>Inside Llewyn Davis was shitty
>>
>>63389843
This. It was a boring off putting movie that nobody can truly claim is anything of quality
>>
>>63389835
Entertainment obviously isn't a movie for everyone. It's not high art either. It's a super dry dark comedy that works for me but obviously isn't going to work for everyone.
To act like any criticisms are just excuses for not having the 'attention span' to watch a movie without 'explosions' is childish.
And I don't care if it's not a long form criticism someone's making. It's 4chan.
>>
>>63389916
What's boring about it? Why is "off-putting" a negative point? Put some weight on it, idiot.
>>
File: somewhere mask.jpg (90 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
somewhere mask.jpg
90 KB, 1280x688
>>63389896
No I'm saying even Sofia Coppola did the exact same movie and it was better.
>>
>>63389265
She heckled. If you try to insert yourself in to a comedy show, you deserve to get verbally ruined. She's a piece of garbage.
>>
>>63390003
Because they don't like that kind of thing. There's no arguing those points. It's boring and off putting by design. For some it works for others it don't.
>>
>>63389915
>>63390003
>i'm a loser so i enjoy watching shitty and boring movies about losers
>>
>>63389976
>To act like any criticisms are just excuses for not having the 'attention span' to watch a movie without 'explosions' is childish.
How is "hipster non-movie" a criticism, in your opinion? It's just a dismissive outburst and poses no valid points. An equivalent response was in order, and that's how it went.
It's just baffling how you're trying to use that line of conversation to post your problems with the movie.
And no, of course it isn't for everyone, but we could at least try to explain why.
>>
>>63390008
I see more similarities with Sofia Coppola's filmography in The Comedy than in this one, really.
>>
>>63390019
>She heckled.
Did she? I thought she was arguing with some guy really loudly and she interrupted the show because the crowd was dead quiet. Also apparently that was a true story from one of Hamburger's shows.
>>
>>63390084
whats your definition of an actual criticism? Because people keep giving them and you wont acknowledge it
>>
File: entertainment eyes.jpg (66 KB, 1280x476) Image search: [Google]
entertainment eyes.jpg
66 KB, 1280x476
>>63390008
>>
>>63389833
You have never heard a Neil Hamburger comedy album, have you? He wasn't playing a character, the movie was a snapshot of his real life. Those jokes are the ones he uses on stage. How he acts between performances is how he lives his life. Slightly exaggerated, of course, but still based on his real life.
>>
>>63390037
>There's no arguing those points
Of course there is, either substantiate your opinion or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63390038
>i'm a winner that's why I post on 4chan XD
>>
>>63390084
It's not a good criticism. What do you expect? Look where you are.
'Non-movie' communicates quite a bit really. Entertainment is an aesthetic experience with very little of what an average viewer would call 'plot' or even 'character.'

The 'explosion' response is fucking childish and makes you look like a retard with a superiority complex who thinks anyone that doesn't like the slightly unconventional indie films he does fit under one neat action movie strawman.
>>
If anybody wants to watch a good movie about a bad comedian, watch King of Comedy. Much better than Entertainment (because it actually has a coherent story and plot)
>>
>>63390140
Something a bit more elaborate than two adjectives would suffice.
>>
>>63390134
Comedy is a monologue, unless the comedian is doing crowd work or asks a non - rhetorical question. The only thing out of an audience members mouth should be reaction noises. Shut up and laugh. Speak when spoken to. The only personality that should be featured is the one with the microphone.
>>
>>63390235
>'Non-movie' communicates quite a bit really.
I'm done with this argument, you actually believe this.
>>
>>63390262
You're coming off as a complete pleb right now
>>
>>63390295
Im not going to spend the time writing a fucking essay about why Entertainment isn't good. The movie is so obscure and irrelevant it has no wikipedia page
>>
File: george chips.jpg (52 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
george chips.jpg
52 KB, 500x375
>>63390337
>Recommends King of Comedy
>call him a pleb
Look in the mirror senpai
>>
>>63390342
>Im not going to spend the time writing a fucking essay about why Entertainment isn't good.
I'm not asking you to, just something with a bit more meat than "non-movie", because that's quite frankly lazy for this or any other movie.
>>
>>63390383
No because you said

>>because it actually has a coherent story and plot

That's what makes you a pleb
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.