[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were we supposed to sympathize with a group of violent savages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 468x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 468x312
Why were we supposed to sympathize with a group of violent savages over the advanced race of thinkers exploring The stars?
>>
>>63382296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHiceVim9Wg

Stoklasa explains this in the best way possible.
>>
>>63382998
I'm 15 min in, why is this so great?
>>
>>63382296
>Muh environment
>Muh noble savages
>Muh Native Americans
>Muh every primitive race is one with nature meme

The visuals won the movie its acclaim. The plot was a dances with wolves in space.
>>
>>63384219
What other movies could you remake in space?
>>
>>63384286
The Dark Knight Rises
>>
>>63383756
So great as in you like it or so great as in, "Why did you post this?"
>>
>>63382296
only a furry would side with those
>>
>>63382296

because James Cameron is Canadian and a secret Anti-American.

name one of his movies where he doesnt make americans look stupid and then kills them all off.

you cant
>>
>>63382296
>implying the Na'vi explored the stars

what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>63384778
True Lies
>>
>>63382296
>doubting
>>
>>63382296
And not just a more advanced race, but us.
And it's not like we would have this problem if Cameron has managed to make us care about them CatSmurf Disney cartoons, but he didn't, thus we root for the "bad guys" that are... us? Hell, those designed by committee CatSmurf Disney cartoons are so amazeballs a hardened soldier goes native for them, which I might perhaps understand if this were about the slaughtering of Indians or some shit, but this is another fucking species we're talking about. And examine that from another angle, why would we, a race of thinkers exploring the stars at this point use these tactics in getting what we wanted? Why not cooperate with them or some shit, offer them tv and the CatSmurf equivalent of Starbucks for the Unlikelyum? Is it because James Cameron thinks Bill Gates is evil or some shit?
>>
File: 1279651351923.jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1279651351923.jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>>63382296

is this the absolutely worst character design ever created?

looked like ugly blue niggers
>>
>>63382296
Because Earth was an overpopulated hellhole with an extremely decimated environment, and was pushing its needs for another quick fix (Unobtanium as a room-temperature superconductor energy source) in order to expand its destruction into the stars. Cameron could have made the movie more interesting if he showed several downsides to life on Pandora (freaky alien ticks, radiation storms or tribal warfare), and could have made the humans more sympathetic by giving the colonists a less militaristic appearance.
>>
>>63385011
because if an alien species visits your home planet, they're going to eventually wipe you out. that's why the though of aliens actually visiting us on earth is frightening to think about, because their technology would be akin to magic. though instead of focusing on that, they decided to make cat smurfs with pretty much 0 technology.

would post the picture of stephen lang calling out the bluefags for not wanting to push themselves but i lost it.
>>
>>63385868
Also, just to play devil's advocate, I always find it interesting that the reasons for humans going to Pandora was in a desperate last ditch attempt to keep the economy from collapsing. That's a little far off from the "spirit of technological and scientific exploration" narrative that so many people foam at the mouth for in modern times. Yes, the Na'Vi were a simplistic stereotype, but that isn't to say that they could have found fulfillment in their lives without having to have high technologies.

The usual response I get to this is that one of Alpha Centauri's suns will eventual go supernova, eventually dissipating all life on Pandora (which somehow makes temporary existence meaningless, or something). Humans are seen as the superior race due to their potential to outlast the death of their sun, but even then, what meaning is this supposed to convey if you have to go from system to system, searching for your next fix like a junkie? You might survive until the heat death of the universe, but a shorter existence of dignity seems far preferable to living "forever" as a rootless addict.
>>
>>63382296
Are you a teenager? Cause this movie came out almost 6 years ago. I was 19 when I saw it, and the effects and action are what matter. The story was a vessel for the technology and effects, like Titanic had the love story to showcase the event itself.

As for the story, clearly it wasn't humans against the na'vi, it was militants (human strife actually) against peaceful coexistence. Why do you think it was Dances With Wolves in space? Hell, it went to home video on earth day. Humans exploited the earth to Wall-E levels and were proceeding to do so with Pandora. I bet you think the Terminator is against technology, too (it's about technology controlling us being bad).

And again, the story is secondary to everything else. Cameron is not known for deep and thought-provoking stories, he's known for great effects and action. Fucking teens piss me off.
>>
>>63386076
Quaritch's speech
>>
>>63386076
Neytiri's speech
>>
>>63386629
thanks, based anon.
>>
>>63386629
As bland as this movie was, this guy was absolutely hilarious. He was fucking evil and he loved it. That gif of him sipping coffee gets me every time.
>>
>>63386689
He was so damn campy. I loved his character as well.
>>
>>63386629
2/10, best I can do. 1 point for me replying, and 1 point for me actually reading part of it to make sure it wasn't a quote and hoping it may have been.
>>
>>63382296
it really is surprising that this is the highest grossing movie of all time. does anyone really think of it anymore?
>>
>>63385868
I think he should have shown more of life on Earth to show that what humans were doing as totally nonviable and just destroying another planet instead of improving their ways. That might have made me sympathetic to the aliens however I would support human conquest of alien planets now so id be hard to convince.
>>
File: planet of the banes musical.jpg (395 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
planet of the banes musical.jpg
395 KB, 1280x720
>>63384286
>>63384301

CRASHING THIS SPACESHIP WITH NO SURVIVORS!
>>
>walk into someone else's home and take a massive shit
>somehow not savage and completely unworthy of any respect

the humans in avatar are literally muslims
>>
>>63387069
Probably in terms of the technology used.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.