[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: 11189914_ori.jpg (110 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
11189914_ori.jpg
110 KB, 800x1200
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Birdman is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.

If you disagree with this, you don't belong on this board, and we kindly request you to take your leave.
>>
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Kung Fury is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>not loving the theater

It was the fucking premise of the movie!
>>
File: 1448047276144.png (246 KB, 345x429) Image search: [Google]
1448047276144.png
246 KB, 345x429
I liked the movie but all you did was wax poetic. You didn't say anything about it's actual quality.
>>
>>63382120

It's all that needs to be said, chum. Poetry isn't mean to be explicit or heavy-handed.
>>
To be honest, I don't belong on this board because I actually appreciate film. Birdman is definitely /tv/ canon though.
>>
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Poor Little White Guy is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>>63382071

It's really not subtle in demonstrating its themes in a seriously grad-schooly way.
>>
>>63382190

What did you find overly pushy about its themes? Can you provide specific examples?

>>63382156

Get your fat ass back in the corner, autismo.
>>
File: 1434533324311s.jpg (3 KB, 112x125) Image search: [Google]
1434533324311s.jpg
3 KB, 112x125
>>63382071
>It so fucking deep man and if you don't like it obv a pleb huh huh
>>
>>63382342

You sound insecure, famalam.
>>
>>63382259

The thematic content itself isn't pushy, it's the way they deploy it. Examples include Emma Stone's lengthy rant, virtually any scene with Keaton's wife and the confrontations with the New York Times critic. Everything the film is trying to say is spelt out very obviously, which is fine, but a more subtle approach would've provided a more satisfactory experience. The Shining is great because it doesn't need to explicitly tell us Jack abused Danny. The Squid and The Whale is an incredibly effective film because it's not trying to force the whole "EMPATHY IS IMPORTANT OKAY GUYS" thing down our throats.

Birdman is a real fun movie and all, but there's a better story in there somewhere.
>>
>>63382071
I love these scorching hot memes and all these redditors responding
>>
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, The Dark Knight Rises is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>>63382437
>Emma Stone's lengthy rant

What about it seemed overly long and/or meandering to you? Do you disagree with the subject matter or the delivery? Either way, why?

>any scene with Keaton's wife

Were you opposed to the many dynamics surrounding alienation as a direct byproduct of stardom and passion? Is there a different concern?

>the confrontations with the New York Times critic

These are some of the most essential interactions as they serve as a mouthpiece for the greater points of the movie. What about these particular dialogues turned you off?

>Everything the film is trying to say is spelt out very obviously
>a more subtle approach would've provided a more satisfactory experience

Can you provide an example of a clumsily handled theme, and how it could have been conveyed in a more refined, astute manner?

>The Shining is great because it doesn't need to explicitly tell us Jack abused Danny.

Yet it gives copious amounts of hints, which in itself can be considered non-subtle, no?

>The Squid and The Whale is an incredibly effective film because it's not trying to force the whole "EMPATHY IS IMPORTANT OKAY GUYS" thing down our throats.

Birdman isn't about human empathy, but empathy for passion. This isn't expressed by anyone screaming, "EMPATHY IS IMPORTANT, OKAY GUYS?"

I see where you're coming from, but I'd love for you to be able to articulate.
>>
File: 1448176953774.jpg (54 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1448176953774.jpg
54 KB, 500x557
>>63382425
you sound like a nigger
>>
>>63382601

socially retarded/10
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>63382679
>being on 4chan
>not being socially retarded
>>
Boring gimicky trash which doesn't know what it wants to be
>>
>>63382572

Firstly, I'm not into the whole passive-aggressive Socretean interrogation mode of discussion.

But to answer quickly:

Nothing, no, an overtly-explicit demonstration of weighty thematic content that could've otherwise been introduced through more sublte means

I have no issue with the film's message(s). Stop trying to make it out as though I do.

See point (1)

See original "examples" post

The subtly is intrinsic to the fact that you needed to describe them as "hints"

I'm not saying Birdman is about empathy in any form, but it's protruding thematic arc is certainly shoved down one's throat and I recognise this as an integral component of the film's appeal for some people.
>>
>>63382896
>Nothing, no

So nothing about Emma Stone's rant was actually indicative of a rant? I may be misunderstanding.

>an overtly-explicit demonstration of weighty thematic content that could've otherwise been introduced through more sublte means

Can you think of a more subtle alternative for any given example of plainness?

>I have no issue with the film's message(s). Stop trying to make it out as though I do.

I don't think this was implied.

>See point (1)

In regards to what? It's hard to keep track of which portion of what you're replying to.

>See original "examples" post

I saw it. I then asked you to clarify why those examples are viewed negatively by you. What about each example in specific turned you off? Snippets of dialogue, mannerisms, editing, direction, etc.

>The subtly is intrinsic to the fact that you needed to describe them as "hints"

Too many hints ruin the game, however. Subtlety is not intrinsic to hinting—subtlety is intrinsic to inconspicuousness, which copious hinting nullifies.

>it's protruding thematic arc is certainly shoved down one's throat and I recognise this as an integral component of the film's appeal for some people

Again, this is a sweeping statement, and you offer no superior alternatives. A criticism must account for more than black-and-white generalizations, no?

Nothing about my post is passive-aggressive. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion, but that seems to be off-putting to you.
>>
>>63382071
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Shrek is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>>63382071
LOL shut up faggot. Make me leave bitch ass nigger.
FUCKING
C
U
C
K
MATE
>>
File: 1436112342504.jpg (8 KB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1436112342504.jpg
8 KB, 230x250
>>63383108

You're a big meme.
>>
>>63382896
1) You're a faggot
2) See point 1.
3) See point 2.
>>
>>63383140
Life itself is a meme.
>>
>>63382437
>The Shining is great because it doesn't need to explicitly tell us Jack abused Danny.
Go shill somewhere else, Ager
>>
>>63383165

Only if you're powerless in the face of repetition, laddie.
>>
Pretty sure that's the RT consensus for Boyhood, OP
>>
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Pulp Fiction is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>>63383217

Your Google fu is weak.
>>
>>63382896
It's kind of hard to be subtle in a one take shot.

It's a glorious send up to the stage craft.
>>
Epic in nofunallowed scale but breathlessly intimate in grammatical scope, >>63383217 is a sprawling investigation of human faggotry.
>>
File: 1448308520629.jpg (2 MB, 1995x4839) Image search: [Google]
1448308520629.jpg
2 MB, 1995x4839
>>63383217
>>63382071
Birdman and Boyhood deserve their place on the /tv/ guide to great cinematic patrician masterpieces of all time.
>>
>>63382120
He's not writing an in depth review or analysis. If he wants, he can go into detail. But just to serve you?
>>
>>63383277
I love this picture
>>
OP ur mom was breathlessly intimate on my narrative scope last night lmao
>>
File: 1441221114472.jpg (3 KB, 124x124) Image search: [Google]
1441221114472.jpg
3 KB, 124x124
>>63383277

o im laffin

what an embarrassment
>>
>>63382071
What role was Ed Norton's character supposed to fill?

If Keaton was the actor dedicated to superhero trash movies, was Norton's character the culmination of an actor who focused on theater simply to appease the likes of the snooty critic bitch? Was the point that any avenue to choose makes you an asshole to everyone?

Did he try to shoot himself and failed, or did he try to simply blow his nose off? Is his failed stage suicide proof of his need to leap out of his window?

Why did emma stone look up in joy if her dad just met a grizzly end?

Half the things were his imagination, but only sometimes?
>>
>>63383476
I would tell you that the point was missed, but you never actually watched the movie.
>>
>>63383419
OP BTFO
>>
>>63383277
>No Double Down

Shit list
>>
>>63383277
It's like the "favorites" list at a rental place wtf.
>>
>>63383277
>4 Fantastic 4 movies
It's like poetry. It rhymes.
>>
>>63383277
I love how this pic mixes a few great movies with a few shit ones, good bait
>>
>>63382071
You said nothing about the movie. Flowing verbiage =/= commentary.

Birdman was fun. I enjoyed the "single shot" style and the way it played itself out - combining the camera panning and increasingly loud and bombastic percussive soundtrack - added a real kind of excitable tension to the whole thing. Like the feeling that all this manic energy is going to keep building up to a crescendo and blow up. Which it did, obviously, but the build-up to that moment was just godly. Fucking fantastic pacing.

The acting was good across the board too; everyone seems to be "in on the joke" that they're playing exaggerated caricatures of classic actor archetypes, but it manages to avoid that worst kind of "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" type of self-referential humor that usually plagues movies like this.

The thematic content was a bit weak and unsubtle though, but in retrospect that might have been intentional on some level. The meta-narrative about self-destructive spectator culture was just hidden enough to make pseudo-intelligent critics think they're smart for figuring it out, but not obscure enough to be hidden away from the general viewer.

Good film, 8.5/10
>>
>>63383605
holy shit
>>
>>63383544
I did watch it. Perhaps I missed the point, but the film felt like it was trying so hard, even if I nailed the underlying message 100%, some filmsnob will inevitably claim I didn't. Which I think IS the message of the film. Everyone's an asshole.
>>
shit movie made by beaner that gets praised with farts and whistles. actually, the only person who doesn't belong on this board is you as you're more suited to reddit.

birdman was one long pretentious shot, with actors patting themselves on the back in between ingesting their farts, and a shitty ass jungle beat soundtrack.

nice try with the hipster taste tho
>>
>>63382120
It's copypasta from rotten tomatoes Boyhood review
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.