[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand why this show is so universally hated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
I don't understand why this show is so universally hated here.
I watched its original run and thought it was fantastic.
I went back and rewatched it last week to see if I was just a massive pleb, but nope, turns out it's still great. I would consider it to be among the best shows of all time, just below the Sopranos.
So why is it hated here? Is it just everyone being a fedora tipping contrarian? Just because the show is popular doesn't mean it's bad. Goodfellas is a popular movie and I would consider it possibly the greatest of all time, it's not just normie worshipped trash like you guys seem to see Breaking Bad as.
>>
>>63371850
I really like the first season. After that it loses steam slowly but I still liked it up until season 5.
Should've ended it at season 4 desu
>>
>>63371900
I personally feel it hit its stride in season 2, but I also though it was good throughout. I agree that season 5 loses some steam but I felt the wrote just about the best conclusion they could have.
>>
But it isn't hated outside of some contrarians that have started to pop out after it ended and then there are of course the memers that meme about Aaron Paul.

/tv/ was crazy about the show when it was on

I personally think it's one of the best shows to come out of American television in the past 20 years but it is still behind The Sopranos, The Wire, Rome and Deadwood for me.
>>
>>63371850
Its not. We loved Breaking Bad and when it got popular we just went through a phase of pretending we hate it to scare off normies. We love Breaking Bad again now, so try to keep up.

Thread theme-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h77ngzK97zo
>>
>>63371850
>universally hated

lel what? More like universally forgotten. It was a *good* show blown far out of proportion by its circlejerking internet fan base that had a safe, predictable ending and now it's over no one has the desire to rewatch it.

Compare that with shows like LOST or the Sopranos, which ended a few years before it yet still have the appeal to be re-watched or picked up by people who have never seen it.
>>
>>63371935
I've only seen The Sopranos on that list so I can't say whether it's better than them or not, but I agree it's definitely behind the Sopranos.

I remember watching the streams of season 5 with /tv/ way back when it was first airing. People loved talking about the show but even then there was a lot of shitposting about it.
Wire threads exist, Sopranos threads exist, but in the last year or so I've only seen Breaking Bad be mentioned in dismissal of someone's opinion, or saying they are from Reddit. Maybe it's just a vocal minority of contrarian faggots. I'm just eager to hear anyone's actually reasoning as to why the show is bad or even over rated.
>>
>>63371935
>The Wire, Rome and Deadwood
Breaking Bad is way better than them. Not quite as good as the Sopranos.
>>
Great show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmpTKXpIdM
>>
>>63371850
Isn't the main actor a Trump's supporter?
>>
>>63371995
Lost is and always was fucking terrible. You're worse than pleb, you are a pissant peasant.
>>
>>63371984
I remember it being loved when it was airing but nowadays I only see it talked about in a negative sense. Maybe I've just been unlucky.
>>63371995
I feel that it was a fantastic show, and not really blown out of proportion by the hype. The cinematography, the music, the acting, the writing, everything about it was rock solid. I admit the ending was safe and predictable, but ever since the first season Gilligan said it would just be Walt's downfall. A convoluted ending where things work out, or one where things turn out worse than his pseudoson being enslaved by neo-nazis would have defeated the point.
>>
File: east.png (74 KB, 397x284) Image search: [Google]
east.png
74 KB, 397x284
If a show is good, people will like it, so 4chan will shit on it. The more people complain about something here, the better you can expect it to be.

That being said, the spin off Better Call Saul was an absolute piece of pleb shit, don't even get me started on all the filler episodes and pondering to BB with Tuco and Mike. 10/10 am waiting anxiously for season 2.
>>
File: 1449316963977.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1449316963977.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>63371850
I don't hate it I just hate people like you who think its the second coming and are confused if someone doesn't like what you like

It was properly mediocre and better call saul is better

Now fuck off back to reddit
>>63372007
kek'd hard

.gif related
>>
>>63372051
Not a supporter but he's glad Trump is running and pulling no punches.
>>
>>63372007
It's not better than The Wire, Rome and Deadwood.

The reason /tv/ hates it is because it got popular with "normies" just like they hate GOT now.
>>
>>63371924
>>63371900
agree with both. Although the entire series was good, late S3 and early S4 were a bit of a drag. I'm not sure why, maybe too much focus of the good to bad transition for Walt?

anyways it could have ended with 4, but 5 put a very good ending to it albeit in a different direction.
>>
Breaking Bad appreciation thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-CWq6jVeo
>>
>>63371935
>/tv/ was crazy about the show when it was on
shit man the hype threads, the live watching threads of season 5 with 1000s of replies

>we Waltage now
>>
>>63372086
>hate people who disagree and would like to learn about the other side's position
I disagree that the show is mediocre. I'm asking why you see it that way. You don't have to be a turbofaggot about it, you could just explain yourself.
>>
It's not universally hated. People are just more likely to speak their negative opinions on television and film than their positive ones.
Breaking Bad is great. Fantastic performances, and an awesome character arc.

Some of the writing is a little sloppy, particularly towards the end, and the final episode is incredibly overrated.
>>
>>63372061
>this is what redditors actually try to force

I bet you're one of those retards who voted every BrBa season 5 episode a 10 on IMDB
>>
File: bb-hank-729-620x349.jpg (49 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
bb-hank-729-620x349.jpg
49 KB, 620x349
>>63372111
I agree that is the weakest point in the series. I'm not sure why either. I think it's because the show usually moves at a very steady pace and shit actually happens. In those episodes, very little happens. You almost can't even call it a slowburn because a lot of it ends up not mattering in the end.
>>63372126
Fuuuuuuck that's some nostalgia man. I watched the finale of the first half of season 5 with /tv/. I remember that I went to the front page of /tv/ and every thread but one had this image as the OP. Crazy times.
>where did the time go...
>>
The entire show is just a giant liberal SJW propaganda
>America doesn't have healt care system
>Cops are dumb
>junkies are good ppl in the inside
>situations could make a good man turn bad
>mexicans
>>
>>63372107
The reason /tv/ pretend to love The Wire, Rome, and Deadwood is because posters here think their pretentious contrarian opinions are somehow unique and complicated therefore worthy of anointing critical acclaim. You are a bunch of failed hipsters, too fat to be fashionable so you shitpost up this board instead of a starbucks. Face it those shows can't hold a candle to The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.
>>
>>63372141
I loved the couple first seasons but towards the end the cast became really annoying. I thought it was really poor writing when the retard son picked his dead fat retard uncle over his own fucking father, that was pretty much the low for me.

Jesse's crybaby status annoyed me since season 2, what the fuck, man?

Although the part where Hank gets gunned down pleased me greatly, I just wish Walter would have gloated over it instead of being apologist, it all went downhill from there in fact.

Maybe mediocre is too much, its a solid 8/10, but like I said the fanbase annoys me
>>
File: L8S7IVv (1).jpg (17 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
L8S7IVv (1).jpg
17 KB, 624x352
>>63372198
good times
>>
>>63372179
No, i don't use pleb-tier sites like IMDB.
>>
File: 1447906348672.gif (2 MB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
1447906348672.gif
2 MB, 230x230
>>63372201
>health care system is used as a premise, no comments on it in the show
>cops are never portrayed as dumb, just one step behind so that there can be a television show
>every junkie but Jesse is a scumbag, and even Jesse is a murderer scumbag
>situations can make good men turn bad, not sure how that's SJW propaganda
>literally every mexican depicted is a degenerate
k
>>
>>63372107
I've always hated GoT but it might be because the only friend I have who has ever casually mentioned being a reddit user insisted I watch the first season with him. It was fucking terrible and i've only heard worse things about it since then.
>>
>>63372235
I agree the Reddit-tier circlejerks about it are annoying, but when you really get down to it it's a great show. I would consider it a 9/10, but 8/10 9/10 what's the difference.

I agree that Jesse was a massive crybaby but I don't think that's faulty writing so much as it just being who he was as a character. Sure it's annoying but doesn't mean it's a poor show.

Only thing I'll disagree with you on is that it was established in the third episode that Walt Jr. picks Hank over Walt, simply because Walt is almost always absent or he's embarrassed to be seen with him.
>>
>>63372331
Is it really established? I thought the retard son liked Hank more since season one because ''le so cool DEA xDDD''.

Maybe it wasn't poor writing, just a retard being a retard, but fuck it annoyed me.

Its kinda funny because I hate Walt yet in the end I still felt good when he got one up over fucking Hank.

Maybe the show is great after all if it makes me feel all these things but like I said its not the second coming
>>
>>63372277

>the rich black guy is actually a vicious crime lord
>>
>>63372415
>only black guy
>drug dealer
>owns fried chicken restaurant chain
>gets killed by Mr. White

inb4 Gus is not black
>>
>>63372415
>the rich black gay guy is actually a vicious crime lord who threatens to kill infant children
Yikes get that SJW propaganda out of my shows!
>>63372390
I agree it's not the second coming. I think it's a fantastic show for what it is, but unlike The Sopranos it doesn't change anything. It doesn't break the rules, it doesn't revolutionize television or film. It's just a conventional show done very well, and I appreciate that.
>>
Sopranos => Mad Men > The Wire > Deadwood >>>>>> Spongebob Squarepants > Breaking Poo
>>
>>63371850
It's contrarian bullshit. /tv/ hates things that are popular, even if they're good. Yes, not everything popular is good, but there are exceptions, and Breaking Bad is one of them. It's a fantastic series that follows a man slowly unravelling and eventually revealing the monster underneath. Meanwhile you also see the turmoils of a meth addict who eventually becomes a horrible byproduct of Walt's nature, and see the comic belief become the only one who truly beat Walt.

I know a big complaint in season 5 is that Todd and his family are the final opponents, but in a way it works to me. Gus was the show stopper, and Hank was the surprise threat that outsmarted Walt using his greed. The neo-nazis were almost a show of how Walt had become just a force of nature, one that has no reason or understanding anymore, but instead just is. No matter who takes power from who, there is only one Walt.
>>
>>63372461
This show was everything /tv/ wanted and now we hate it because it was popular?
>>
File: todd.jpg (97 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
todd.jpg
97 KB, 450x600
>>63372461
I'm surprised no one has sperged out over its ''problematic'' portrayal of the fair black man
>>63372482
Well like I said I only really started to hate stuff towards the end but overall enjoyed it especially at the start

Nothing contrarian about people that dislike it though even if 4chan opinions can come off as a bit strong
>>
File: 1446590185944.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1446590185944.png
22 KB, 804x743
>>63372007
You're the reason people hate the show so much on here
>>
>>63372525
Good post bud.
>Mad Men better than anything
I'd rather watch grass grow.
>>63372544
I agree, Todd and his family being the final opponents was great. I think it was the final descent for Walt, that he would actually ally himself with literal neo-nazis. Of course they became the final opponents because Walt had to set things right before he died, but the fact he would sell his best friend/son in to Nazi slavery had to be an intentional piece of humor from the writers, it's just comically evil.
>>
Plebs equate cliffhangers with good writing. That last season was especially awful.
>>
>>63372617
This is the most reddit post I've seen all year
>>
>>63372655
Then save it and post it to r/4chan for some karma buddy :)
>>
>>63371850
100% agree OP. I got blue in the face saying this here during the peak of its popularity. I think that's the key word: popularity. All the contraritards here revved their engines for many months between season 5 part 1 and season 5 part 2.
When it actually exceeded expectations it pissed them off.
>>
Breaking Bad is one of the most entertaining TV shows of all time, no doubt about that. Vince Gilligan crafted an amazing Black Comedy.

But thing is BB's beauty is surface deep, after 5 seasons the characters just aren't as nuanced and deep as characters from other shows are.

When /tv/ talks about the Greatest TV Shows we are talking basically the greatest TV Dramas of all time. And when you compare BB to Sopranos or fucking Mad Men you're just left with Walter White looking like a Comic Book character compared to Don Draper.
>>
File: 1423073126146.jpg (130 KB, 484x461) Image search: [Google]
1423073126146.jpg
130 KB, 484x461
>>63372007
I like Breaking Bad, but that is some shit taste right there fellow
>>
>>63372061
This. Lost killed itself with that ending that explained LITERALLY nothing
>>
>>63372742
I have only watched Sopranos, not Mad Men, but I do agree that it's a pretty surface show.
Watching Sopranos was an experience. Nearly every episode is examining a new theme about American life and ideals, the characters are all extremely believable and actually change and develop. They seem like real people, like I'm watching a real thing unfold.
Breaking Bad has great acting and Walt's change is fascinating but there's not much more to his character than that, and all the others are the same way. The have one facet that we see that slowly changes.
That said I still love the show.
>>
>>63372742
Don "no character development" Draper
>>
>>63371995

>lost

You gotta be kidding me. That dhow belongs in the same conversation as the Walking Dead and GoT, not the Sopranos and BrBa. It's shit.
>>
>>63372607
Good, you people are fucking stupid cunts.
>>
>>63372808
Mad Men is good but its subtlety and nuance requires patience.
>>
File: 1442959701312.jpg (69 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
1442959701312.jpg
69 KB, 498x668
>>63371850

Because it became mainstream and people on /tv/ like to think they are special snowflakes who only enjoy the finest of the movies and series.

That's all.
>>
>>63372812
j e j e j e j
>>
File: 1449124128296s.jpg (2 KB, 93x125) Image search: [Google]
1449124128296s.jpg
2 KB, 93x125
Breaking Bad has an incredibly good premise with a great cast but extremely average execution.

The fact the Walt makes those retarded decisions and continues to fuck up every situation he's in makes this show lose tons of potential amusement, instead of making him a genius chemistry teacher who stops giving a fuck about everyone because of his cancer diagnosis and lack of prospects and success (which seemed like the idea) they instead just had this everyday guy with an annoying ass wife and annoying ass brother who gets cancer and decides to fuck up everything about his life and the lives of people around him by saying and doing the worst things possible at the worst possible times. The whole character rides on the fact that he does crazy "badass" unexpected things like 2-3 times every season but in between he's just a bumbling jerk with no common sense. Absolutely nothing bad happens to Walt ever that wasnt a consequence of his actions. It's shitty directionless writing. Not to mention you never care about any of the characters in the show except for Saul and his henchmen because they are the only entertaining ones on the show.

I dunno if any of that came out right i'm a moron who can't express his thoughts but you should get the general idea of what I mean. A character who is made out to be a genius badass shouldnt fuck up constantly and the life-threatening situations they get put into should be because of the character's counterpart or enemy, not himself. That's why I like Vikings because Ragnar is a literal demigod genius who never fucks anything up and is always one step ahead of the viewer who just deals with the situations hes thrown into and the people around him.
>>
>>63373050
>Walt makes those retarded decisions and continues to fuck up every situation he's in
Long time since I watched BrBa, but isn't it really Jesse who constantly fucks up on then Walt has to clean up or save him? That's how I remember it and it's the reason I fucking hate Jesse. Can't stand that disloyal little fuck up.
>>
>>63373149

they both fuck up constantly but the show would have been much more entertaining if jesse was the one fucking everything up and walt was left to deal with the consequences
>>
File: 1448404170472.png (119 KB, 242x262) Image search: [Google]
1448404170472.png
119 KB, 242x262
>>63373050
>great cast
>>
season 5 was the best because it stopped taking itself so seriously. train heist?

the rest was a rather tedious watch
>>
>>63373180
If did cut down on Jesse being a cry baby 80% of his screentime it might have been entertaining.
>muh guilty conscience!
>>
>>63373050
I cared about Jesse.
>>
>>63373187

Name the bad actors, the only ones I can think of are the wives
>>
>>63373251
>Jesse
>Skyler
>Marie
>Hank
>Walt Jr.
The rest is alright.
>>
>>63373299

I think Walt Jr. and Hank played their parts fine. Jesse was okay except way too normal to be a druggie
>>
>>63373050
Rarely being a badass made Walt's bad ass moments all the more memorable. If anything, making a character a badboy that fucks everything up to the max can come off as being pretentious and edgey. Besides it's key to consider character chemistry. Walter's general personality worked because he had good chemistry with characters. Imagine Walter's interactions being more badass and fucked up and he'd just come off as a pyschopath.

And Walter actually did suffer consequences for his actions. When he decided to not tell his wife anything, she cheated on him(yes they did go back together but atleast something happened). When Walter tried to save Jesse from shooting the drug dealers, he ended up jeopardizing his relationship with Gus, and would've been killed off until Gus no longer needed him. And being isolated in a winter cabin and a global criminal is also a consequence. Look all I'm saying is that although Walter got scotch free on some actions, he did go through consequences. And forcing a character to be absolute badass is unnatural.
>>
>>63372232
I'm eager to see someone willing to refute this.
>>
>>63373050
sometimes i think those moments are done well because he starts being excessive in his actions, like an adrenaline junkie, for example when he turns the magnet higher than it should be in season 5 and when he has to get the fuel from the train. but other times like you said its just done to cause conflict within the show and i think that is bad writing.
>>
>>63373363

I'm not saying he didnt suffer any consequences, i'm saying it made no sense how he fucked up everything so bad, Walt and Jesse would have made a great duo if Walt was actually smart and thought before making decisions and jesse got him into these fucked up situations, instead it was just walt fucking everything up
>>
>>63373438
Okay I see what you're saying now, that makes sense.
>>
>>63371935
Deadwood is a shitty generic as fuck western that tries way too hard
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.