[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: chessformonkeys.jpg (53 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
chessformonkeys.jpg
53 KB, 600x300
I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an incredible metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with such masterful symbolism? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.
>>
The pawns all die and so does Deangelo
>>
Ugh you just don't get it maaan
>>
Niggers: The show
>>
Bob stookey.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxh1DE5PQM0

We sorry, we sorry, please go away, please, please!
>>
>>63368692
It's a bunch of niggers selling drugs . I can watch that outside
>>
God tier writing. Takes a true intellectual like myself to catch the metaphors
>>
>>63368692
I felt that the show was never the same without DeAngelo. His death scene rivals Talia's as one of the most awful things ever.
>>
File: 1432873784793.jpg (304 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
1432873784793.jpg
304 KB, 1016x970
>>63369380

You must live in a ghetto ass neighborhood then.

Also >>63368692

Take your shitty opinion/bait elsewhere. /tv/ loves the wire.
>>
>>63369559
I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not
>>
I really like this thread.
>>
Excellent show, but people who put it on the same level as The Sopranos are idiots.
>>
>>63368692
the point is they have to teach everything in a super simple way

the point being made is how much their criminal community achieved organizationally when working with the illiterate and dim

wait till you see the phone codes
>>
>>63368692

The point of the scene was to show that dangelo isnt as smart as he thinks he is
>>
>>63368692
I forget if it's season one or two, but I really like the part where after D's gone, Poot has to teach the new kids who've taken his old place how to not be retarded about selling drugs. It's a minor callback that some people might not catch on, but it's those subtle things that make a show great.
>>
>>63370877
do you think?
it smacked to me of holistic acceptance of their lifestyle, like the lion king

he explains that they the pawn will be sacrificed first, and everyone else after that by rank

it' about the inevitability of heir downfall, how their lives are governed by an unalterable force of poverty
>>
ITT: Idiots respond to pasta and perform mental gymnastics to try to make The Wire seem deep.
>>
>>63371150
Little bitch can't debate so he just passively aggressively posts something like a little girl from Tumblr.
Got something to say to anyone directly, coward? No? Fucking thought so.
>>
>>63368692
It's not symbolism if they're spelling it out for you, dickweed. Also nice job trying to get clever with the pilot and dismissing the whole thing.
Are all stormblr grrls this retarded?
>>
>>63368692
First season : good
Second season : mostly dull and bad
Third season : repetitive procedure that feels like the first season again but not as good. All interesting characters and storylines tied up, no point in watching further

This show has so many easily-impressed idiots who enjoy that watching a show about social commentary an sheeeit makes them feel intelligent.
>>
File: 1386232216274.gif (1 MB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
1386232216274.gif
1 MB, 217x217
>>63372443
>Second season : mostly dull and bad

>literally being this pleb
>>
The First Couple of Seasons of Law and Order, But With Swearing! The Show.
>>
>>63368692

I didn't find it heavy handed, the scene also works as a means of showing D to be better educated than the other hoodrats. Its of corse what ends up getting him isolated and killed.
>>
>>63374275

It serves in the Bodies story arc too.

Season 5 on a bench with mac nulty "we like them little bitch on a chessboard"
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.