[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic movies you weren't expecting to get but ended up liking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 21
File: 11168101_ori.jpg (145 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
11168101_ori.jpg
145 KB, 800x1200
This movie really clicked for me, and I don't normally like classic film.
>>
The atmosphere of Casablanca makes it for me. A wild west of sorts, and anything goes epicenter of smuggling, piracy, romance and tragedy, plots and conspiracies of all sorts. Real cool stuff.
>>
>>63368564

The movie had a certain style that I don't really see in a lot of other places.

The interconnected network of cooperation and antagonism between all the different criminals in Casablanca, the dialogue, the acting. It all comes together really nicely.
>>
>>63368436
That's because it's a pleb paradise - extremely accessible but old and b&w. Hey mom, I think I'm becoming a film scholar.
>>
>>63368638
Not disagreeing it really is "baby's first OLD movie" - but it is pretty good.
>>
>>63368638

Then what classic films should I be watching?
>>
>>63368663
All of them. You shouldn't skip over movies just because they're accessible. Feel your way through film and until you really know what you want, try exposing yourself to as much of it as possible. Casablanca is a great starting place.

The other anon is just bitter because the average IQ of posters on /tv/ is 55 and he's been pushed past his limit.
>>
>>63368663
Batman Begins. From a while back. Meamerizing plot.
>>
File: casablanca.jpg (126 KB, 1600x1202) Image search: [Google]
casablanca.jpg
126 KB, 1600x1202
Casablanca's actually my top example of beloved classic films. I often feel weird when people list Citizen Kane and The Godfather ahead of it on movie lists.

Citizen Kane had its moments, but I could never pay enough attention to Godfather. And really, there's just something great about Casablanca. Sort of a story of lost souls, gathering together. Considering how soon after the war it was made, and the emotion behind it all. The La Marseillaise scene. Holy shit, the feels. And Louis might be my favorite Claude Rains character.

> I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
>Your winnings, sir.
>Oh, thank you very much.
>>
>>63368638
only plebs say this

this film is the perfect setting and the perfect cast

the dialog is kind of weak and the emotional pull is a bit sentimental but it never aspires to be more than what it is
>>
>>63368436
i've actually never seen casablanca even though i usualyl really like bogart films because i'm convinced it'd be lame nostalgiacore trash.

is it good?
>>
It's not even Bogarts best.
>>
>>63368808
not many people left that can truly nostalgia the 40s
>>
>>63368808
Its pretty shitty. OP just thinks he's smart for liking something on AFI's top 100.
>>
File: 1448616735219.jpg (209 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448616735219.jpg
209 KB, 1024x1024
>hey I watched what is generally agreed to be either one of the greatest movies of all time or the greatest movie of all time, and I liked it
>isn't that weird?!?
>>
File: ingrid-bergman1.jpg (126 KB, 727x926) Image search: [Google]
ingrid-bergman1.jpg
126 KB, 727x926
>>63368781
Citizen Kane isn't as fun, but it's an infinitely better movie.
>I could never pay enough attention to Godfather
Come on pal, you're doing my job for me.

>>63368808
It's pretty good. It's sort of a mass appeal film noir. A bleak and seedy crime story handled with surprising romanticism and soft edges. The best word for it is 'corny', and I love it for that.
>>
I haven't seen Casablanca in years and now I wanna rewatch it, wish I had my old tape of it.
>>
>>63368808

It's staggeringly good. It and Citizen Kane are probably the best things to have come out of an American or any film studio

>inb4 butthurt hipsters and some literally who cares movie by literally who
>>
>>63368829

I definitely liked him in The Maltese Falcon

>>63368808

I loved it. It's the setting and the atmosphere that does it.
>>
>>63368865
>greatest film of all time
More like corniest.
>>
>>63368888
>VHS
>not having the Criterion BR

i am checking those quads out of protest
>>
>>63368865

I've seen classic films before.

A lot that are supposed to be masterpieces just didn't click for me. This did.

The question was supposed to be if people had similar experiences.
>>
>>63368901
>inb4 [people who disagree with me] [people with a greater interest in the arts than me] and some [movie I've not seen] by [director I'm unfamiliar with]
>>
>>63368436
This kind of topic always confuses me.
>dude I watched this well loved and highly rated classic film
>and I was so surprised that I actually liked it!

It's not like you faggots watched some experimental shoe string budget student film and liked it. You watched a movie that has been around, critiqued and analyzed longer than your parents have been alive. Do you think you're special for liking a movie everyone else has liked for 70 years?

Jesus christ. You fucking people. You idiots. Just shut the fuck up and watch more films.
>>
File: cbblineup.jpg (183 KB, 1150x783) Image search: [Google]
cbblineup.jpg
183 KB, 1150x783
>>63368638
>>63368660
Yeah. Nothing wrong with entry level when it's well put together. Hell, that's the way you SHOULD introduce someone to something.

Veering off-board for a moment, but a good example. Cowboy Bebop. It's basically an anime for people who don't like anime. Totally entry level. But it's also a great example of how anime isn't just hentai, isn't just shouting kids and ridiculously muscular men, isn't just kawaii girls in supernaturally short shorts. It can be relaxed, cool, funny, with good action and intriguing character backgrounds.

Bringing it back to old movies though... any love for the Marx Brothers?
>>
>>63368901
>It's staggeringly good.

What is this supposed to mean? It was so good you couldn't walk straight?
>>
File: Big_Lebowski_1.jpg (48 KB, 320x473) Image search: [Google]
Big_Lebowski_1.jpg
48 KB, 320x473
>>63368950
I don't know, man. I've seen some movies recommended by /tv/ and hated them.

Then there's this fucking piece of shit. Absolutely loved it.

Not classic movie though.
>>
>>63368966
>liking anime
Nothing wrong with entry level, unless it's an entry level for a bunch of weeb shit.
>>
File: 1449114821336.jpg (39 KB, 598x608) Image search: [Google]
1449114821336.jpg
39 KB, 598x608
>>63368966
>posts an anime picture
>thinking anyone is going to care about his thoughts on arts or life
>>
File: Classic Paul Dano.jpg (219 KB, 1538x1040) Image search: [Google]
Classic Paul Dano.jpg
219 KB, 1538x1040
>>63368436
>not liking classic film
>>
>>63368925
Thanks for the check, I'll check out the criterion for you.
>>
File: jet.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
jet.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>>63369016
Entirely missed the point then.
>>
>>63368781
>Considering how soon after the war it was made
It was made in 1942, son. However, I agree with you. One of the few "classic" films that deserves to be called a classic
>>
>>63369045
No he didn't. You weebs are retarded.
>>
>>63369045
you really should watch more anime films

cowboy bebop is not near the casablanca level
>>
How to spot a Tourist:
>using classic as a binary term/objective label
>differentiating movies as english vs foreign
>differentiating movies as b&w vs color
>differentiating movies as 'old' vs 'new'
>>
I love Casablanca, it's my mum's favourite film so I was watching it before I even knew what the fuck was going on and just loved how it looked and sounded. It's a great movie in its own right but there's just something totally comfy about it for me.
>>
>>63368950

I've seen classic films before, and don't get most of the classic Hollywood era stuff that people say is great. I saw this expecting the same but was surprised by how much I liked it.
>>
File: cowboy-bebop_00342469.jpg (166 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-bebop_00342469.jpg
166 KB, 1920x1080
>>63369096
>films
>Cowboy Bebop
I mean, there is one, but that really wasn't my point. My point was that it's good for non-anime viewers to get started, without being inane, faux-deep garbage. Like Evangelion.
>>
File: wewww.jpg (32 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
wewww.jpg
32 KB, 300x450
first had to watch this for a film history class, walked in like "wewww black and white euro art house movie, this is gonna be a painful couple of hours"

and despite the fact that I obviously didn't understand every little thing that was going on, it got to me in a really human way and I got choked up for reasons i can't fully explain.

it was probably the first time I ever watched a supposedly classic experimental movie and felt like I saw whatever was in it that made people so sure it was great.
>>
>>63369102

Yes, why would people classify films at all? Using genre terms shows how little you know about movies.

Also,

>not acknowledging that the classic Hollywood era is a real thing.
>>
>>63369261

OP here.

Thanks for actually answering my queston.
>>
File: gift.jpg (75 KB, 586x538) Image search: [Google]
gift.jpg
75 KB, 586x538
>>63369296

no problem bruh

>drops morsel of earnest content into this god-forsaken board
>flies off into the night to spread cheer
>>
Should I upload my history of american film syllabus or nah
>>
File: dan darper variety.jpg (88 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
dan darper variety.jpg
88 KB, 413x395
>>63369553
>>
>>63369588
At least you can laugh knowing you're not wasting your time majoring in this shit like I am.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1go738b9asjudds/FTV106A_syllabus.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/io8xu27euzc6wlk/FTV106C_syllabus.2-5.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/okccumo8iejjz68/FTV108_syllabus.pdf

I should've gone to Berkeley after all.
>>
File: Dark_Knight.jpg (63 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Knight.jpg
63 KB, 300x444
Surprisingly good for a superhero movie
>>
>>63369269
Classic Hollywood =/= Classic films
>>
>>63369625

Y I K E S
>>
>>63369680
This is what you get when you don't go to films.
>>
>>63369695

USC
>>
File: chico.jpg (54 KB, 454x557) Image search: [Google]
chico.jpg
54 KB, 454x557
>>63368966
Duck Soup is the funniest movie ever made.
>>
File: late-spring-1.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
late-spring-1.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
>even if you successfully marry and rear good children you're going to die lonely
No ;_;
>>
>>63369718
Seriously, at least at USC you don't have to put down $600 on getting insurance to rent out equipment, editing supplies,16mm from Kodak and processing at fucking Fotokem just for one meaningless class.

It's a shame it's one block away from the shoot-on-sight ghetto though.
>>
>>63369625

wewwwwwwww

i'm a junior film/animation major

shit's alright if you can find some niche you're good at and get really good. if you can't do that you'll find out soon and adjust accordingly.
>>
>>63369774
I like editing, but from what I've seen it looks like doing that as a job will fuck your shit up. Case in point, one of my profs was working on Sharktopus 2 while teaching the class and you could visibly see her age slightly more each and every week.

I'm too autisticly beta and focused on innocuous details to direct or produce, so I'll probably just end up going to grad school so I can be an entertainment lawyer or something, even though I have no interest in law.
>>
>>63369774
Speaking of film schools, is it true that CalArts is clothing optional and you can sometimes see naked chicks running around?

>>63368436
OP, what classic films have you watched before Casablanca?
>>
>>63369835

i'm at NYU but from the people I know at Calarts I've heard its effectively true (i also see no reason to distrust alison brie). i'm sure there's a lot more of it from certain majors than others lmao, theater and animation students tend to be pretty different types.

what a different life it must be out in those sunny orange groves
i don't hate new york or anything, especially around christmas, but god i miss swimming and green plants and certainly don't mind the fact that i might have to head there after graduation.
>>
>>63370027
Walt Disney's money well spent.
>>
I have seen Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind and Casablanca, any other great and watchable old movies?
>>
File: ben-hur-1.jpg (261 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
ben-hur-1.jpg
261 KB, 720x720
>>63369835

About to go to sleep so I probably won't see any responses after this for a while.

Only other Bogart movies I've seen are The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I like Bogart's acting in both but thought they were decent but fairly boring films.

Erroll Flynn movies I've seen Captain Blood and Robin Hood and thought that both of them were really simple and didn't get the appeal.

I've seen Metropolis and liked the art but couldn't really get into it. The acting is so overblown it's really weird for me.

I grew up on Westerns because it's just about the only kind of movie my Dad enjoys watching, but it was mostly the John Wayne style of Western with some Jimmy Stewart mixed in and it really killed me on the whole genre, although I know that's unfair.

Also, I don't really like Charlton Heston movies, because it seems like everything he's in was made just to stroke his massive ego.

I've seen other stuff but nothing specific is coming to mind right now.
>>
>>63370076

ol' uncle walt is smilin down up on all those sun-kissed, naked alison bries. happy fucking birthday to him.
>>
>>63370134

Oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned Gone With the Wind after >>63370123

pointed it out.

I didn't like that movie either except for the "Quite frankly my dear" line.

The whole thing just seemed so unrealistic, an ultra-idealized version of the old South.
>>
>>63370134
>Only other Bogart movies I've seen are The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I like Bogart's acting in both but thought they were decent but fairly boring films.

Gotta disagree with you there. I think they're both fantastic.

>Erroll Flynn movies I've seen Captain Blood and Robin Hood and thought that both of them were really simple and didn't get the appeal.

Those movies are simple, and they aren't my favorites, but you must at least like the swordfights.

>I've seen Metropolis and liked the art but couldn't really get into it. The acting is so overblown it's really weird for me.

Did you see the recent restored version, or an older one, like with a Giorgio Moroder soundtrack? The most recent restoration is one my favorite films of all time. The acting is different, but I found it easy to get past.

>I grew up on Westerns because it's just about the only kind of movie my Dad enjoys watching, but it was mostly the John Wayne style of Western with some Jimmy Stewart mixed in and it really killed me on the whole genre, although I know that's unfair.

There are a lot of lousy westerns. Many of them are very generic, but there are many great ones. Besides the revisionist westerns of the 60's, there's The Searchers, Rio Bravo, My Darling Clementine, High Noon, The Man who Shot Liberty Valence. I'll probably think of some more good ones the second after I hit post.

>Also, I don't really like Charlton Heston movies, because it seems like everything he's in was made just to stroke his massive ego.

Three words: Touch of Evil. It's Orson Welles' absolute masterpiece. I like it more than Citizen Kane, which you should also see.

>>63370173
Gone with the Wind is a very idealized version of the south. That is kind of the appeal. It is long, I can understand not loving it, but there is a lot of good stuff in it.
>>
File: image.jpg (688 KB, 2000x1584) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
688 KB, 2000x1584
>>63370123
On the Waterfront - 1954. Winner of Best Picture and Best Actor (Marlon Brando). 8 total Academy Award wins

A Street Car Named Desire 1951 - Marlon Brando

Rebel Without a Cause - James Dean

The Bishops Wife - 1947 Cary Grant

The Shop Around the Corner - 1940. James Stewart

It Happened One Night - 1934. Clark Gable. First film to ever win all 5 Academy Awards

Guys and Dolls - Frank Sinatra, Marlon Rando, Dean Martin

Mary Poppins
>>
>>63370173
>The whole thing just seemed so unrealistic, an ultra-idealized version of the old South.

That doesn't matter. Quit getting upset at white people living in the south during the 1800s
>>
>>63368436

My ex loved shit like this. She had me watch this one. It was funny. It was about this guy and this girl who worked at a newspaper, but were getting divorced and she was quitting. Then they get an inside scoop on this criminal and she gets drawn back in. And the criminal dude was hiding in a desk. It was really fast, quippy humor. Very funny.

She had me watch this other one though where these 2 girls were on a cruise ship. I dunno what happened. I was thoroughly bored. But they sang this song that was about being a slut from Little Rock that got stuck in my head.
>>
File: 1431314629019.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
1431314629019.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>63370565
His Girl Friday and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

I wish I had a girl to watch classic movies with. You had one and broke up with her.
>>
>>63370565

Oh yeah, and this one where this guy and this girl were unhappy in their respective marriages and they agree to meet like at the Statue of Liberty of something and break off their marriages, but she don't show up and he's all butthurt about it. Then they meet much later and it turns out she was paralyzed or some shit in an accident and that's why she didn't show up. That one sucked too.
>>
>>63370592
>His Girl Friday and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
>I wish I had a girl to watch classic movies with. You had one and broke up with her.

Hey thanks man. Those were the titles for sure.

As for the girl, watching movies with her was great, for sure, but it don't make up for all the other bullshit. If the movie ain't fun to watch by yourself, it probably aint worth watching at all.
>>
File: 1428197793576.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
1428197793576.png
74 KB, 412x351
>>63370697
How old was she when you were going out? Are there others like her?
>>
>>63370774

She were 26 when we last broke up. And they're all like her, man. Relationships are less about finding the right person and more about learning to put up with irrationality. I aint got it down yet.

But this shit is off-topic, man. I dunno any more classic movies though.
>>
File: 1431765282302.jpg (46 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
1431765282302.jpg
46 KB, 746x982
>>63370867
>i will never have An Affair to Remember with a mature, but still young qt
>>
>>63370173
I love Gone with the Wind because it's watching Vivien Leigh as a white bitch, yelling and screaming as she makes a bunch of mistakes for 2 and a half hours.

I probably missed the point but whatever it's fun to watch her world fall apart around her.
>>
>>63371112
That's precisely the point. It's four hours of buildup to someone finally telling her that he doesn't care about her or her problems, which is what you've wanted to tell her since the beginning.
>>
>>63371164
God bless that Thanksgiving marathon on AMC where they ran it all day.

By the third time it came on I was sick of it but those first two watches after not having seen it in a long time were amazing.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.