[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Kubrick is a shit filmmaker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: CVgb3FSUwAAhU_B.png large.png (59 KB, 603x239) Image search: [Google]
CVgb3FSUwAAhU_B.png large.png
59 KB, 603x239
Kubrickfags BTFO by Tag Gallagher
>>
File: kubrick fansd.png (69 KB, 805x711) Image search: [Google]
kubrick fansd.png
69 KB, 805x711
Kubrick fags are the worse kubrick isn't the worst, the worst part about kubrick is he attracts every entry level wannabe filmie and enthusiast who ever opened up an imbd top 100 list.
>>
>>63362795
Yup, John Ford was good.
>>
>>63362900
What the fuck. "I really want to like Bergman because he's Kubrick's favorite" How fucking retarded is this guy. Must be 13 yrs old
>>
>>63362900
I almost wasn't angry until I read "I'm off to watch A Clockwork Orange".
Now I'm triggered.
>>
>>63362795
Um, this is about Paths of Glory, which is an "uncharacteristically Kubrick" Kubrick film. Hardly a takedown of Kubrick's work as a whole. Everything he says about Ford is spot on.
>>
It's not really a good example. John Huston's character in Fort Apache was obviously a glory hound officer who put his triumph over the lives of his men, just like in Paths of Glory or Crosses of Iron. the Searchers would be a much better example
>>
>>63363117
I think you mean Henry Fonda's character, who is a Custer stand-in. But what about how John Wayne's character says something about how no man fought more bravely, essentially whitewashing him for history? This is more morally gray. Ethan Edwards in the Searchers is also a good example of a morally gray character.
>>
Tag who?
>>
File: johnford-gallagher.gif.jpg (40 KB, 456x678) Image search: [Google]
johnford-gallagher.gif.jpg
40 KB, 456x678
>>63363331
Tag you on facebook, pleb.
>>
>>63363222
Fuck, I did mean Henry Fonda. I took john Wayne's speech as a resignation that the official that the official story had been written and the myth set in stone. He was a professional soldier and knew you can't fight these things. He did talk up the strength of the average soldier in the speech too, if i remember correctly. Plus, Henry Fonda's character earned some respect from Waynes for his last stand.
>>
>>63362795
Paths of Glory is not a morally black and white film.

Both main characters, the protagonist and the antagonist vie for power and a playing a chess match. There's never really any more indignation in Paths than Kirk Douglas forced due to his general actor personality.
>>
>>63362795
This doesn't even imply Paths of Glory is a bad movie, let alone saying that Kubrick is a bad artist. It's merely saying that John Ford is underrated.

Which I guess in terms of how he deals with racism, he's right, but I've still never enjoyed any of his movies.
>>
>>63364029
Aren't we meant to hate George Macready and Adolphe Menjou's character especially when he assumes that Dax was doing everything for promotion?
>>
>>63364047
>This doesn't even imply Paths of Glory is a bad movie
It is saying it is a simplistic one, though.
>>
>>63362900
Persona's one of the most eye grabbing movies I've ever seen. I can understand (though I personally did not feel in these ways) not have the interest to continue with Winter Light and The Seventh Seal but, my attitude with Persona was basically "Okay, what the fuck is going to happen next?".

Also, watching Winter Light on it's own instead of in context with the faith trilogy? What a moron. He should have gone with Wild Strawberries instead.
>>
>>63364163
Not neccessarily. Just in comparison to Fort Apache. Kubrick haters have poor reading comprehension.
>>
>>63364123
>Aren't we meant to hate George Macready and Adolphe Menjou
Kind of. It's a Hollywood film so there is some degree of that moral reduction but the film is a lot more subtle about it than most. It's really a condemnation of the entire officer class. For instance, you probably hate Mcready's character more yet isn't Menjou the more morally culpable because he gave to order to take the anthill to Mcready's character?

And then there's the way Douglas's character reacts to the entire affair. He really just attempts to use it within the system to leverage against Menjou in order to push the blame off to Mcready. It's a little more sublte than just straight bad guys and good guys. It's more like Innocent Troops vs Corrupt System and hierarchy. Plus after Kubrick gained financial and artistic independence he got even more morally grey than before.
>>
>>63362795
There is literally nothing wrong with that approach though. Real evil happens all the time and in militarism it's rampant. The film is a highlight to make you remember that justice is important, not a convenience.
>>63362900
Didn't think I could get this mad from one opinion
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.