[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pls help me /tv/ this was my first Lynch film. I dont understand,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
Pls help me /tv/ this was my first Lynch film.

I dont understand, what actually happened, what was it all about?

Fred and Pete were obviously different persons (despite what i believed at first), because the police says so, so if they are the same person or multiple personalities then why is he allowed to leave prison, and how is it possible that the police still thinks that they are two seperate persons by the end of the film?

The weird guy is obviously some kind of emotion... anger? maybe jelousy? Many characters in the movie "know" him at one point or another, fred, pete and dick

Also what happened that night with pete, the night his parents dont want to talk to him about

Every theory i come up with gets instantly trampled because how timeline and characters interactions

pls help
>>
you're overthinking it

trying to figure it all isn't what Lynch is about
>>
File: alternate-stopped-reading-there.jpg (580 KB, 1153x823) Image search: [Google]
alternate-stopped-reading-there.jpg
580 KB, 1153x823
>>63362582
>Fred and Pete were obviously different persons
>>
>>63362603

I kind of agree. You can probably go through and do the whole "close reading" on a lynch film, but I wouldn't bother.
>>
Nobody knows

Just enjoy the ride
>>
>>63362651
>>63362603
well nigger you have to give me SOMETHING to get by.

Or do you all faggots really go to a lynch film and say: wow nothing makes sense, this must be so intellectual, BRAVO LYNCH
>>
>>63362689
No, I don't generally bother with Lynch films.
>>
File: french wojack.jpg (197 KB, 1228x1639) Image search: [Google]
french wojack.jpg
197 KB, 1228x1639
>>63362689
>>
>RODLEY: Arquette's own rationale for LOST HIGHWAY goes something like this: a man murders his wife because he thinks she's being unfaithful. He can't deal with the consequences of his actions and has a kind of breakdown. In this breakdown he tries to imagine a better life for himself, but he's so fucked up that even this imaginary life goes wrong. The mistrust and madness in him are so deep that even his fantasies end in a nightmare.
>RODLEY: Obviously, the story Arquette built for herself worked for her: this man imagines himself as a younger, virile guy, meeting a woman that wants him all the time instead of shutting him out, but this fantasy also falls apart.

>LYNCH: That's exactly right.

There, OP.
>>
>>63362582
the events happening after Fred turns into Pete are all in Fred's mind
Pete is a fictional version of Fred who is living through Fred's fantasies as well as his justification for his act.

In this fantasy Renee (now called Alice) is a lot sexier and Pete is more successful in bed with her
At the same time, Alice is a fictional version of Renee that is not only worse/more guilty of betrayal (to justify Fred killing his wife because she is a bad person) but is also being forced into having sex with Dick Laurent because he is a big bad crime boss
Dick Laurent is also made to seem worse than he is in real life, so Fred feels less bad having killed him.

The end of this fictional sequence is the start of the real situation, in some ways the fictional world Fred created closing in on itself.
Fred driving forever in the car at the end is symbolic of him running away from his problems/his guilt forever

It's a little hard to explain here and without the movie in front of me, but I hope it helped
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 600x818) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 600x818
>>63362582
Fred was trying to celebrate his Independence Day, through the medium of Pete
>>
>>63363063
yeah after thinking about it for a few minutes, i agree with this.

But i also believe that the begining of the movie is not real as well. Its like a fantasy that fred contructed in which all is well and his wife isnt cheating on him. "dick laurent is dead" is the first thing he hears, suposedly a relief for him, as with him being dead, his wife could not possibly cheat him with dick. the tapes are like actual memories that keep coming back and fucking up freds fantasy. The mystery man is actually truth itself.
>>
>>63363213
I tend to agree with this as well
Essentially the whole thing is a looping fantasy dream sequence
>>
>>63363261
As soon as he said he didnt like cameras and why, i made a mental note. This made understanding the film easier
>>
>>63363278
That line is pretty much the key to understanding the entire movie
>>
>>63363379
Yeah. Really great movie. I think the begining dragged a bit tho, I was getting kind of bored just before the wife killing thing happened
>>
File: accept the mystery.png (1 MB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
accept the mystery.png
1 MB, 1280x688
>>
>>63362689
there's much more to appreciate in a good film besides the plot
>>
my man had a twin. aint nothin supernatural.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.