[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: chessfordummies.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
chessfordummies.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an incredible metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with such masterful symbolism? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.
>>
DUDE METAPHORS LMAO
>>
Yes, I liked all the likeable characters in that series. It's like McNulty is such a cool guy and not the biggest asshole in TV history or anything, what is a good change for cop-shows.
There are way too little black people in it though, haha. ^^ Apart from that the show is great though.
>>
>>63362277
i never could finish season 1. tried 3 times t b h familia very boring and homoerotic
>>
If you liked that, OP, you'll love how the show dedicates entire seasons to different levels of society to show that crime is prevalent on all of them. From the street, to the schools, to the shipping docks, to political offices---everything. Even when the seasons don't focus on the characters that people actually care about and become completely uninteresting it's still somehow riveting. Truly the greatest television show of all time. It almost doesn't even qualify as a TV show because it's just that good.
>>
The Wire deserves to be shit on but I watched the whole thing. It does get more enjoyable as it goes on, even if season 5 is sort of meh in regards the the serial killer shit.
>>
>>63362647
>being so stupid that you respond to an insult of the show as if it was praise

Wirefags everyone.
>>
>>63363189
is this meta-shitposting?
>>
File: dunce.jpg (81 KB, 287x317) Image search: [Google]
dunce.jpg
81 KB, 287x317
>>63363189
Boy, do you look dumb...
>>
this boring piece of shit show is awful and with some of the worst dialogue and acting I've ever seen, but its apologist will defend it saying stupid things like 'muh realism' or how it was 2deep4u
>>
>>63362277

The chess scene is really about explaining the gang system to the audience. But at the same time it does a few other things: it's reinforcing 'the game' mentality, the characters position in 'the game', and how they see their position in it. It's a pretty good scene but kind of feels off because they have a bunch of lines that's like winking at the audience. But really it's more exposition than anything.

The wire is about character interactions, not metaphors and accents.
>>
>>63362277

We wuz kangs and shiet!
>>
>>63363718
Tumblr: The post
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.