[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this patrician wannabe garbage? One of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 171x254) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 171x254
Why do people like this patrician wannabe garbage?
One of the worst films I've ever forced myself through
>>
I see you just saw your first David Lynch production

If you have decent taste it'll be your last
>>
It's a meme to pretend David Lynch is good on /tv/ for the hipster cred
>>
>>63361489
Shit I could do poor editing on a movie with bad actors and an uninteresting plot too
>>
Say what you will about the narrative or storytelling problems. There is something to be said when a scene in a crowded diner in broad daylight is one of the scariest scenes I've ever seen.

https://vimeo.com/101462824
>>
>>63361844
So go do it, Champ.
>>
>>63361489
I like the chicks.

Also, it's funny.
>>
>>63361489
>Why do people like this patrician wannabe garbage?

I'm a sucker for surrealism, lesbians and detective stories. Fight me, m80.
>>
>>63361489

Later Lynch movies are basically dream simulators, and I think he makes really interesting dreams.

If you went into it expecting a normal movie sprinkled with quirky bullshit (like most "artsy" flicks), I understand why you didn't like it. I like it, though. Maybe give it a second shot m8.
>>
File: 1449247677071.gif (4 MB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
1449247677071.gif
4 MB, 500x287
>>63361489
The corpse in the bed scene gave me some serious jitters friendo. It loses some sting at the end but it's some weird stuff nonetheless while still being watchable
>>
>>63362682
Finding a decaying body in an empty dwelling is always eerie to me.
>>
Anyone who says a film is bad that has an average of 7.5 and above rating without giving proper points on why they think so which are actually valid if not just their opinion can shove it.
>>
File: 1448155234474.jpg (34 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
1448155234474.jpg
34 KB, 200x201
>>63362736
>their whole journey came to this point
>the slow build up amping me up
>...it's her own dessicated body lying in bed
>mfw
>>
>>63361489
Because it is really good if you don't need plot to get through the movie. Every scene is legitimately compelling if you're actually watching the movie and not just sitting on your phone or some shit.
>>
>>63361489
Just admit you didn't get it.
>>
>>63361489
you probably just didn't understand it. the women are the same person. it's all in her head.

you probably just need to turn 14, OP. or go back to reddit
>>
>>63361489
Pretending to like Lynch flicks is your first step to becoming a psuedo-intellectual patrciain
>>
>not watching sunset boulevard and mulholland drive as a double feature movie night
>>
>>63363878
Throw in Vertigo and make it a triple.
>>
File: Mulholland Dr - old people.webm (2 MB, 1280x692) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland Dr - old people.webm
2 MB, 1280x692
>>
If you can't even get into Lynch, then you're destined for a pleb life of watching shitty indiewood films like Ex Machina and Blue is the Warmest Color, thinking you're smarter than the crowds who go to see Avengers 5 and 6.
>>
File: Mulholland Dr - hit and run.webm (3 MB, 1200x648) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland Dr - hit and run.webm
3 MB, 1200x648
>>
>>63361489
2DEEP4U
>>
File: Mulholland Dr - spooks.webm (3 MB, 1200x648) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland Dr - spooks.webm
3 MB, 1200x648
>>
I just watched this today for the first time

I liked it but the last 20 minutes or so kind of lost me. I read some shit about it and I'd like to rewatch it someday

Naomi Watts alone is reason enough to watch it
>>
>>63364275
I'd say that you don't need a wikipedia summary to get it but a second viewing definitely. The movie's loaded up with a lot to take in so you're bound to miss stuff the first time through, and since it's more complicated than most movies missing just a bit can make the whole thing seem like an incomprehensible mess.

Your second viewing backed up by what you took in the first time should be enough to make the movie more or less clear to you. After my first viewing I had no idea what was going on but after two it was all more or less clear.

If you do want a particularly interesting look at Lynch's work watch "The Degenerate's Guide to Cinema" and "The Degenerate's Guide to Ideology". They're about using looking at films and filmmakers and analyzing how ideology is expressed through film. Lynch's work is a big focus at several points with Mulholland Drive getting a few specific discussions.
>>
>>63364466
thanks man. Plus I'd like to rewatch it with Lynch's 10 clues

>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

1. Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
4. An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
5. Who gives a key, and why?
6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
10. Where is Aunt Ruth?
>>
>>63364543
That's interesting. I could probably give vague answers to about 3 of those.
>>
>>63364466
Lynch's films are emotional. His films are more routed through the experience, rather than linear thought and plotlines. I've read into Mulholland Drive's meanings, and it's interesting and all, but what matters is how the images and scenes resonate and how they make me feel. It's not a mystery that needs to be solved.
>>
>>63364615
yeah, any film that can create powerful emotions within me I will enjoy.

that entire scene at the beginning at Winkie's was incredible with all that tension, I basically had an adrenaline rush just watching two guys sitting at a restaurant.
>>
>>63364615
I don't know about meanings, I just meant that I think I can follow the plot now, with about 20% being open to interpretation.
>>
People approaching Lynch for the first time have to shut off their anal retentive, geeky, nit picker brains for once. Learn to appreciate form, and undo the conditioning of modern realism.
>>63364664
Sorry. Didn't mean to quote you.
>>
>>63361489
if you like structuralism it's pretty good.
>>
>>63363111
What if you actually like some of them?
>>
The masturbating scene was pretty hot
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.