[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Krampus Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: Krampus-Movie-Poster.jpg (1 MB, 800x1266) Image search: [Google]
Krampus-Movie-Poster.jpg
1 MB, 800x1266
So I just saw this fucking movie. I was shocked at how FUN it really was
>Directed by the guy who did Trick 'r Treat
>The beginning was generic "Holiday Movie" fare, but somewhat salvaged by Adam Scott/David Koechner and a few funny gags
>Does a good job building up the mythos of Krampus without quite spelling it out
>TONS of practical effects
>Monsters all look fucking awesome, especially the Jack-In-The-Box
>The entire movie feels like a Christmas movie, even as the horror gets going
>Funny bits throughout to balance out the horror
>Director has some fucking restraint and doesn't reveal what the Krampus looks like (they showed it maybe twice before that, but he was very far in the distance that all you could see were tusks) until the final climax
>All the leads were great in it, and the child actors were alright
>Ending was clever enough

It was a lot of fun. Not something I would recommend spending $ on to see in theaters, but pirate this shit. I truly think it may end up being a cult classic Christmas movie for teens.

Anyone else see it and enjoy it? From my theater almost everyone enjoyed it except the people expecting a straight horror film
>>
I've been meaning to see this, would you say it's in the same ballpark as Gremlins in terms of fun? I'm a sucker for good practical effects
>>
>>63360212
I saw the movie, I really didn't like it, but if you like practical effects you'll hate the parts with the gingerbread men.
>>
>>63360212
I think it is the same ballpark, but not quite as fun. I still prefer Gremlins, but this really shocked me with its quality.

>>63360275
Yep, thankfully Koechner single handedly carries that scene because they looks awful to the point of breaking my suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>63360359
Is the cgi that bad, or is it just a silly scene that ends up being jarring?
>>
>DUDE WE CANT MAKE A CHRISTMAS MOVIE IN 2015 WITHOUT SHITTING ON CHRISTMAS LMAO
>>
>>63360474
Both.

The problem is that it is happening with another scene and it cuts back and forth. (Upstairs and downstairs)

(Upstairs) is them fighting another group of monsters that are using the practical effects. The effects looks fucking superb and it is a very tense scene

(Downstairs) is a silly as fuck scene with some pretty awful looking CGI Gingerbreadmen attacking Koechner.

Because they are both happening at the same time the styles clash too much. Once they decide to stick with the downstairs scene till its completion it is better, but before that it is rough
>>
File: l.jpg (876 KB, 2500x1568) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
876 KB, 2500x1568
>>63359819
I think I'll see it tomorrow or next weekend. It sounds fun to me. I'm on a horror binge and watched Christine for the first time tonight. Up next is either Cat People or Creature from the Black Lagoon.
>>
adult swim did it better

fuckin gary
>>
File: krampus-movie-image.jpg (14 KB, 540x380) Image search: [Google]
krampus-movie-image.jpg
14 KB, 540x380
>>63359819

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIS FAAAACE
>>
I had a lot of fun with this movie, all the monsters were cool and the movie did a solid job at building tension and scary moments, it's pretty goofy but it's a solid comedy horror flick that doesn't take itself too seriously
>>
How violent is the movie? Does it have a lot of gore?

Just asking because I can get behind a movie for the thriller aspect but if it turns into SAW or Final Destination then meh
>>
>>63360530
>incorporating European folklore is shitting on a European tradition
>>
>>63360965
>PG-13
You're probably going to be OK
There's a parental guidance thing on IMDB that lists all this stuff anyway
>>
>>63360965
There's not really any gore but the movie has some disturbing stuff in the second half, it's violence is restrained a little but still manages to be violent without being gratuitous
>>
>toys and cookies were ridiculous
>elves were frantic and jarring
>Krampus himself was FUCKING TERRIFYING
I fucking loved it.

>>63360965
Not a lot of gore - a guy's leg gets gnawed - but it can get pretty violent.
>>
>>63360965
There is only one scene with human blood, and its a leg bite. Other than that some of the monsters have bloodly mouthes/teeth but nothing too bad. Shits PG-13

>>63361132
Thats how a felt
>Cookies were a bit over the top
>Toys were all fucking scary and ridiculous in their own way
>Elves were frantic as hell and probably the scariest (IMO)
>Krampus looked intimidating as hell, but his face was iffy.
>>
Anyone have a face pic of Krampus out of curisosity?
>>
Anyone else think it was crazy that Krampus looked like a horrible goat demon who wore Santa's face? I liked his design a LOT.
>>
>>63361297
I wish, but I doubt its in the trailer or the promotional material since it was only shown at the very end of the movie.
>>
>>63361004
Honestly, the worst thing I think we got from the PG-13 rating is that one or two places could have really gone for a full "fuck." I think Hollywood regulations only allow for one.

At least "Merry Christmas, motherfucker" could've not been cut off.

>>63361218
Yeah. I don't know how I felt about them really pushing the "Shadow of Saint Nicholas" thing even into the face, though I liked the goat eyes.

But personally I thought Krampus himself was the most terrifying.
>those claws
>those bells accented with the chains
>that call, sounding like either an elk or some kind of alpine horn
>that hiding in the shadows
>THEY INCLUDED THE FUCKING TONGUE
The toys and elves were creepy and I wouldn't want to encounter them, that's for sure, but if I encountered Krampus, I would outright piss myself.
>>63361313
>wore Santa's face
Now that's certainly something I considered. Also curious about what the elves look like under their masks (since they're clearly even in-universe wearing masks).
>>63361435
Yeah, we won't see it for a while, I think. At least until someone bootlegs the movie and we get a shitty camrip.
>>
It felt like Christmas from start to finish. Even the gory being subdued kind of felt less like "let's water it down for kids" and more "let's keep it to a minimum because it's still a christmas movie.

Krampus was fucking gold and his helpers were awesomely done (Cookies were CGI but they were shown in such quick shots I couldn't scrutinize the animation too much.) The jack in the box was pants-shit tier.
Cast was likable in a real unlikable way
Ending was great. Love Krampus' reaction to the kid crying. Like "HAHAHAHA nah fuck you kid."
Overall comfy as fuck. This'll become a christmas tradition for me for sure
>>
Pseudo-Christian/Pagan Demi God kills a family of Jews and their offspring.

Perfect movie.
>>
>Adam Scott/David Koechner

aaaaand I will never see this movie.
>>
File: 1435977711804.png (138 KB, 234x260) Image search: [Google]
1435977711804.png
138 KB, 234x260
>>63359819
I enjoyed it. It was entertaining. Krampus is the hero the holiday season deserves.
>>
File: 1431473246845.jpg (294 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1431473246845.jpg
294 KB, 582x600
Can we talk about how Krampus got the fat kid by dangling a gingerbread man on a chain with a hook to catch his attention, and he fell for it?
>>
Koechner VS Gingerbread Gang was the best part.
>>
For those that saw the movie I want your opinion

Are they all in the underworld trapped in the snowglobe
-OR-
When the kid opened his present, did they all remember what had happened, and the snowglobe is how Krampus keeps an eye on every home?
>>
>>63364565
>Are they all in the underworld trapped in the snowglobe
I saw someone else say this, why the fuck do people think this? It's retarded.

>When the kid opened his present, did they all remember what had happened, and the snowglobe is how Krampus keeps an eye on every home?
This is clearly what happened. The snowglobes are just there so he sees all. If anything, they were trapped when he was attacking them. Him just opening the bell up made them all remember what the hell happened, and to be on their best behavior from that point on.
>>
>>63364640
I donno.

When it first ended I thought that they were all in purgatory, but after thinking on it a bit, I think the second one is true.

Also I think that BY FAR the second one is the better ending. I am not one of those "every movie needs a happy ending" type people, but I think the 2nd option was more fitting to the movie. It felt more Christmasy I guess, kind of like

The 2nd option has that "It's a Wonderful Life" sorta feel, and I think that is what was intended seeing as how near the beginning they are watching it.

Im just glad they didn't go with "It was all a dream" and leave it at that.
>>
>>63364736
If anything, they were in purgatory when all the shit was going down, as literally everything was gone. I'd say the fact that the kid looked out the window and everything was back to normal outside proves that they're back in "reality". If he looked out and everything was the same, then maybe they're in hell, or trapped in the globe.

I think what they were going for was almost a more series version of American Dad's Krampus. He wants you to learn a lesson, but he's going to traumatize you in doing so. I'm guessing the grandmother's family remained dead because she never learnt that lesson, or fought Krampus back after all that.
>>
>>63364640
>>63364736

If I am not mistaken there is a Prequel comic that shows what happens to people so far gone that Krampus has to send to the underworld
>>
>>63364883
Would love a link to read that.
>>
>>63364565
Krampus is keeping them all in a perpetual Christmas morning themed hell and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.
The movie from the get-go is cynical and pessimistic as all fuck. An "everyone's fine" ending goes against the entire rest of the movie tonally
>>
>>63364949
>An "everyone's fine" ending goes against the entire rest of the movie tonally
What movie did you watch? The whole point of the movie was showing how the family hated each other, and it took the absolute worst of times to bring them together, and make them stay together. It was for them to learn a lesson, that's why Krampus returned the letter, and hesitated when Stevie threw the bell. That last bit was just to scare the fuck out of him and everyone so they didn't go back to the way they were.
>>
>>63364919
Same, but it just came out last week so it doesnt seem to be around yet. Here is the Amazon if you REALLY REALLY wanted to read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Krampus-Shadow-Nicholas-Michael-Dougherty/dp/1937278840

>>63364949
I donno since they all seem really happy and are getting along. I donno how much of a hell waking up in a warm house on a beautiful day to a house filled with food with your family would be, even if it was perpetual and you were aware.
>>
>>63364949
It is pretty much a horror version of "A Christmas Carol" and "Its a Wonderful Life"
>>
>>63365061
If they learned a lesson why did Krampus clearly plan on killing everyone but the kid? he gave back the letter as to say "yes, this is why I'm here. Stop wondering, it's your fault, get on with your family-less life you little shit." By that logic he should fucked off as soon as they started not being total douches to each other.
>>63365063
They're happy and getting along before they all remember the Krampus attack. I'm sure once they realize their situation that's going to become a miserable situation right quick.
>>
>>63365223
Because it is the kids fault Krampus even showed up, and because he had learned his lesson and showed giving and sacrifice (by being willing to sacrifice himself for his family) he let them go with a warning
>>
>>63365290
That's fair. I guess I myself just saw that scene differently. I heard him start laugh at the kid begging and read it as him going "Nah fuck you kid, I ain't gonna go for it." What you said makes perfect sense to me as well. Somethings are just how you read them in the moment
>>
>>63365430
Yeah, I think the point is that you can interpret it either way pretty legitimately
>>
>>63365223
>If they learned a lesson why did Krampus clearly plan on killing everyone but the kid?
To make them learn the fucking lesson. That's why he caught his attention when he demanded his family back. You think Krampus just felt bad for him? That was his whole goal.

>By that logic he should fucked off as soon as they started not being total douches to each other.
Except each "death" had a point in bringing them together. And it could be guessed that each "death" was to bring each person back to reality. Don't you find it interesting that no one was explicitly killed on screen? They were all captured, or dragged underground. No heads were cut off or something. Even the girl who was eaten, she was swallowed whole and then the thing ran off.

>They're happy and getting along before they all remember the Krampus attack. I'm sure once they realize their situation that's going to become a miserable situation right quick.
You're an idiot. If they were stuck in a Christmas loop, where is the proof for that other than snowglobes, which, might I add, are an ancient thing to see Santa Claus viewing homes in snow globs. Hell, didn't they even do that in The Santa Claus? You think they were trapped then, too?
>>
>>63365484
Not him, but I now just realized there were literally no on screen deaths, or even dead people on screen (Unless they showed the delivery guy, but I dont think they did)

This movie felt much more violent then it was. Its a great example of being able to push the PG-13 boundary
>>
>>63365430
>>63365290
>>63365223
The way I see it, Krampus is bound by a set of rules. If there is a glimmer of redemption of the holiday spirit then I guess he can give a free pass once in a while. Though the bell was just a stern reminder that he could take it back
>>
>>63365537
I thought they showed the delivery guy frozen in his dhl truck anon
>>
>>63365537
I think they showed the delivery guy froze to death, but he never really mattered to anything anyway.
>>
I just got out of this movie. I thought it was going to gay out at the end but then it was cool with them ending up in xmas hell and them all having the same dream. The gingerbread guys seemed kinda out of place because they were so cartoony when all the other monsters were really well done.

Anyways would recommend. Like OP said, it was generally a fun Christmas movie.
>>
File: 1431884043740.jpg (65 KB, 811x795) Image search: [Google]
1431884043740.jpg
65 KB, 811x795
>>63365430
>Nah fuck you kid, I ain't gonna go for it
>>
>>63365484
The problem I'm seeing here is that I think I was looking at Krampus as a much more malign being. It seems a lot of people here think he's there to remind the family of christmas, but I went through thinking he's just there to punish them for forgetting in the first place, leaving the survivor to learn a lesson from the ordeal. Forgive the capes hit reference, but I saw him as more The Punisher and less Batman.
>>
The ONLY problem I had with the movie is that The Grandma has already seen what happens when a family falls apart like this, and didn't EVER bother to warn the family of Krampus, even when their family life was a complete shitshow

>>63365776
An interesting comparison my friend made is that In the movie he is described as the "shadow" of Santa Clause. Even Santa can give coal to children, which is pretty much completely the opposite of being the "spirit of giving". Because of this, Krampus, being the Shadow of Santa, can give people a second chance (His version of giving coal)
>>
>>63365869
Maybe she was just in denial or repressed it in her later years. She was child, and never saw him the following Christmases.
>>
>>63365869
to be fair, if my grandma started talking about a goat demon and there was nothing going on to back her story up, she'd be at a psychiatrist the next day.
But that story was honestly one of the best parts of the movie, animation was fucking-A[/]spoiler
>>
>>63365869
No there are no second chances. That ruins the movie for me. They were stuck there, it's like groundhog day, but with Christmas.
>>
>>63366061
>>63366082
I never thought of it that way.

>>63366185
If it makes you feel better, just imagine having vivid memories of everything that happened in that movie, and not being able to tell a fucking soul about it without being in the ward.

You would be so fucked up. Probably have PTSD and would be a fucking blast around Christmas, and you would have nearly no one to talk to except your family.

It is a happy ending in the broadest sense. The mental scarring is probably almost as bad as being stuck in a Groundhog's Day X-Mas special anyway
>>
>>63366185
no bro, the tie in pretty much confirms that he was just watching them, not literally owning them

great movie btw, definitely worth the price of admission
>>
>>63366082
Tell me about it, I did not expect that at all, and it was fucking spectacular.
>>
>>63365869
The grandma was working for Krampus
>>
I am really glad this movie won Friday box office and is going to probably end top 3.

Im hoping that after word of mouth gets along it will do well. Shit deserves it
>>
Is it worth seeing if I already know the ending?
>>
>>63359819
>Funny bits throughout to balance out the horror

This just came across as a lack of tone to me. I'm not so cynical that I can leap happily from the murder of children to laughs. The puppetry and shit is great, but there's just not enough of it. It was too straight-laced.

Also, the ending sucks shit.

>>63366559

You would've known what was going to happen about five minutes before it does anyway.
>>
>>63366559
absoloutely. Don't get too much else spoiled and its gonna be great for you familia. It really hits its high point in the middle when they're all in the house, the ending isn't the best part despite what all this debate might have you believe .
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.