[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Screen plays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: FILE401.jpg (93 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
FILE401.jpg
93 KB, 426x426
1. How do you sell your screen play?
2. How do you determine its value, what if I got the next big zombie movie.
3. How do I write a screen play?
>>
1. You don't
2. I can do that for you; it's shit.
3. You can't.
>>
>>63358653
thanks friend
>>
>>63358621
>1. How do you sell your screen play?
send it to every single studio and hope somebody is interested

>2. How do you determine its value, what if I got the next big zombie movie.
they have people who do nothing but reading scripts and evaluating them

>3. How do I write a screen play?
with words
>>
>>63358740
thanks better friend. but what if they just steal my screen play. can they do that?
>>
>>63358866
you can send the script to friends and family using email, or you can register it.
>>
>>63358653
hows moms basement?
>>
>>63358866
honestly >>63358653 is actually pretty close to being correct.

the spec script (what you want to write) market barely exists. almost all people who try to write scripts are horrible at it.

the best way to write a film is actually to write a novel of a film-able story and get it published. then you get paid for the rights and then again if you persuade them to let you adapt it.

from what I understand, spec scripts can still be useful as writing samples for getting jobs in TV writing. but you need to write an episode of a popular show to show off your abilities and try to get a job on that show or a similar one.
>>
>>63361571
Do you have to write spec script of a tv show to use as writing sampes?
>>
>>63362697
it needs to be something of a similar format to the work you want to do. like, I said the spec market is mostly dead, and it is. But you can still probably use spec movie scripts as samples to get jobs writing or re-writing scripts for projects a studio wants to do. it's just that from what I understand getting into movie writing that way is really hard because of how few open assignments there are. there's actually much more TV writing work - like Rick and Morty was hiring writers based on specs (for R&M episodes) they'd been sent - although probably mostly from writers who'd already written for other shows.
>>
>get an agent to rep your script to studios
>literally every writer has a zombie idea because they're easy as fuck to write. a studio head will see the word "zombie" and throw it in the trash
>google it
>>
>>63362878
Okay that makes sense, but how would you even go about trying to find studios to even submit writing samples because I totally would have tried to write a Rick and Morty spec if I knew about that. Do people just find out from connections or can you just google studios that are hiring writers?
>>
There are semi-legit websites like the black list that have connections to agents and the studios but in reality it's very much the same as trying to get your music "discovered", you either get lucky or use your connections.

Probably the easiest way is to produce low budget version of your ideas and put them up on youtube to try and get your name out there.
>>
I had an idea for a internet start up where people submit their screenplays for movies,tv shows,etc and other people produce them. What do you guys think?
>>
>>63361571
>the spec script (what you want to write) market barely exists

specs can lead to writing jobs on other films though

there's this writer, Jon Spaihts, that wrote some sci-fi specs and he got a job writing Prometheus before Lindelof re-wrote his stuff. now he's doing capeshit

his spec stuff isn't greenlit at all though
>>
>be a rookie
>write a big sci-fi action spec
>studio sees how expensive it would be if greenlit
>studio taking a chance a rookie never happens
>intothetrashitgoes

start small
>>
>>63361571
>the best way to write a film is actually to write a novel of a film-able story and get it published. then you get paid for the rights and then again if you persuade them to let you adapt it.

This is certainly the approach I've been aiming for. Really, I know it shouldn't but, it still surprises me how many writers aspiring for Hollywood or similar want to get straight to writing scripts instead of writing a book or so proper first.

This is personally my dream path as a writer (although yes, I do know that these things never go quite the way we want to)
1. Write (undetermined number) book(s)
2. When enough money has been earned from previous step, hire an artist(s) and collaborate with them on a graphic novel
3. Do the first two steps (but mostly the 1st step) until enough money to fund an indie movie based off one of my works and/or enough reputation to justify starting a Kickstarter.
4. Just hope that maybe somewhere down the line I write that killer bestseller that gets adapted to a major motion picture and leaves me living the good life by the time I'm 50 something years of age and beyond.
>>
>>63363796
>I want to write movies
>I have a great idea, I'll write books!
>being this retarded
>>
>>63363858
It's actually a decent skill to have considering most films are pulled from books anway
>>
>>63363796
i hope you're writing YA books
>>
>mentioned I was writing a script to my English professor today
>told him I wasn't great at dialogue
>tfw he said "Well, then you're not good at scripts, are you?
Whole class heard that too. Fucking disgraced.

He's probably right, though.
>>
>>63363926
holy shit wrecked
>>
>>63363926
Dialogue is my weakness as well. Unless there are some books on learning to write dialogue, I think the only solution is to get over my anxieties & prejudices and learn to mingle with normies. Ree.
>>
>>63364034
Got a tip from my last thread: Get into more arguments with people. See how they produce Bantz, and try to understand their motivation.

Unfortunately since I'm a spineless faggot that's a bit difficult, but the advice is sound.
>>
>>63363926
dialogue is just 1/3 of a good script. can you plot well? can you tell things visually well?
>>
>>63364262
I'll be frank: Visuals are about the only thing I can do, and even then it's difficult to fit it into the spartan language I'm used to using with scripts.

In that sense, I feel like I'd be a better director. I know how I want stuff to look, and I'm relatively aware of how to make it look that way.

Writing's fun, but I'm pretty shit at it.
>>
>>63364353
To be honest family, the visuals is the least important part of a screenplay.
>>
>>63364452
I noticed. What I've heard from some friends is that I'd be a better cinematographer than writer, but seeing as I'm a NEET shut-in I don't know what I could practice that on.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.