[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No memes now just serious discussion. Whats the real topic of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
No memes now just serious discussion. Whats the real topic of the shining? Fake moon landing, white people killing indians, sexuality, greek mythology?
>>
Ugh that documentary was reaching so badly.
>>
I'm pretty sure it's just a twist on the haunted house story.
>>
It was a movie about a crazy guy and his cracking marriage.
Apply some of the metaphors to society if you want.
>>
>hotel was built on an indian cemetery
>man killed his entire family in a room

ghosts, just ghosts, everything else has been made up by others
>>
>>63356076
>>63355121
>my friend shows that to me
>every 10 minutes he pauses it and turns to me saying YOU SEE? YOU SEE?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWZEwedPkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8UD3aZm10k

possibly gold
>>
the white people killing indians bit kinda fits

the fake moon landing is really out there, the sexuality and greek mythology bits are only based on really passing similarities
"woah he makes out with a naked woman and she turns into a monster!!!! deep look into sexuality!!!!"
"woah they end up running through a maze! exactly like the greek myth of running through a maze being chased by a minotaur!"
like, yeah, your not wrong, but you didn't make any point because those are really basic similarities.
>>
There is no "real" topic of The Shining.

You can find metaphors out the ass for it -- of which I am not a fan [fuck you, Ager].

It's just ghosts driving a man insane.
>>
>>63355121
The film is about Dry Drunks. Nothing else, that's it. Drunks with no access to booze act crazy.

Nicholson's character's negativity is seeping into the psyches of everyone else at the hotel and they feel the danger level increasing. That's it OP. Sorry.
>>
Alcoholism and ghosts.
>>
>>63355121
Genocide of the Native Americans and Danny's sexual abuse at the hands of Jack.
>>
>>63355121

Sins of the past.

There are no ghosts. Ghosts aren't real, yet we fear the dead and the horrible thought of having to pay for the wrongs of our past, or worse repeating them because we didn't learn from them the first time.

The Native American massacre is the sins of their countries past. The sexual abuse is the sin of their family. possibly jack abusing danny, more likely jack worrying he'll become his father and abuse danny. spiraling back into alcholism is again a fear of the sins of ones past, I think jack fears he'll abuse danny like he was abused, he broke his arm and he regrets this greatly but fears the monster he could become if he doesn't change and the past haunts him over this fact.

listen to a lot of the time stuff going on in the movie there are constant inconsistencies but they are purposeful (time between giving up alchol and abusing danny is way off).

the duality and mirror stuff in the movie, mirrors always present during ghost scenes use of mirror to show two stories going on...the fact the "ghost story" part of the movie is most likely just the story jack is writing. the two little girls (ages also dont match their description and therefore they are made up by jack for his ghost story). I think jacks writing the story out of fear of repeating possible abuse in his family and it's coming out in his writing as the protagonist (himself) killing his family.

the gold stuff is sins of the country again and we will regret getting off the gold standard and it's rippling repercussions through out our future.

I constantly hear these themes talked about but no one ever labels it as a single theme which it is: sins of the past coming back to "haunt" us. thats the only real ghosts and kubrick made a movie about it.
>>
>>63356286
dis nigga gets it. Shame there's no place I can steal his analyses somewhere. I mean I like his stuff but there's no fucking way I'm paying money for a term paper
>>
>>63357226
go to bed Rob

good post though
>>
The lady who did the floor plans was kind of cool and I liked the intentional "mistakes" (like switching the rug pattern)

But the documentary is about lunatics obsessed with a movie and not about the shinning itself. Too bad they didn't get the shinning guy who had that website all about the symbolism. I remember reading that years ago ...I'd like to have seen the guy
>>
File: Cartmans Incredible Gift.png (219 KB, 476x355) Image search: [Google]
Cartmans Incredible Gift.png
219 KB, 476x355
>>63356214
DO YOU SEE?
>>
>>63355121
A bad marriage.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.