[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interstellar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9
This film is bullshit.

If you were to enter a black hole you'd die instantaneously

Also there were no "aliens" he even explains they, the main characters, created the events out of sheer force of will, or through the 'power of love'. aliens do not exist

Interstellar actually parallels 2001 A Space odyssey with its theme about the mysteries of human consciousness. Both feature an alien, which really isnt an alien, but representative of mankinds desire to expand our awareness of reality.
>>
>>63352698
You are very smart
>>
File: A_itmes.jpg (24 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
A_itmes.jpg
24 KB, 720x576
>>63352698
Would've been better if "they" was this. i don't care if it's a ripoff, the story would've been better for it
>>
>>63352698
Jesus Anon, how thick are you?
Do you generally believe we know everything about the universe?
The monolith in 2001 WAS alien, did you even watch it?

10/10 Bait made me reply
>>
>>63352698
>If you were to enter a black hole you'd die instantaneously
No one knows what would happen if you were to enter a black hole
>>
>>63352698

you couldn't get near an accreting black hole because of the insane amounts of radiation.

plus the black hole at a galactic center could never have habitable planets orbiting it
>>
>>63352698
prove it
>>
I agree the whole black hole thing was a total cop out. You don't fucking magically transport anywhere in the universe, specifically to exactly where you nee to go. You fucking die. I was quite bothered by this.
>>
>>63352866
Except that the black hole was actually a construct made by 4th dimensional humans. So it can literally do anything
>>
>>63352851
>>63352817
>>63352845
Fuck off.
>>
>>63352951
make me aspie
>>
>>63352923
the tesseract inside was supposed to be the thing constructed by humans IIRC.

the black hole was the central black hole of that galaxy.

it's irrelevant anyway because flying into a black hole IRL would be about as good for you as flying into the heart of a star.
>>
>>63352951
Nice Retort
>>
>>63352698
>>63352866
It's a science fiction you retards. Besides, nobody knows what happens after you cross the event horizon.

>>63352951
You're easily buttblasted anon
>>
File: 1402763425111.jpg (27 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1402763425111.jpg
27 KB, 435x435
>>63352866
>>63352951
>faggots don't know what a gentle black hole is
>>
it is wormhole not a black hole if a black hole showed up near saturn it would swallow the planet whole

the monolith in 2001 was a device made by aliens to probe and give people the next step it wasn't mysterious symbol of human mysterious, it was alien and it had alien origins

there is a similarity between 2001 and interstellar in that the big slab is a tool created to serve a purpose

the 2001 slabs, there were 3, had the intention to gauge humanity

in this sense the robots are a kind of a technical point about the reflection of humanity as well

you can see them as giant mirrors
>>
>>63353024
>gentle black hole
How about I gently enter your black hole?
>>
>>63353082
BIG
WHITE
>>
>>63353024
This. The tidal forces would be so far apart that you wouldn't get killed FROM THEM (other shit will kill you though) until you reached the event horizon and after that we have no clue what happens.
>>
>>63353029
We're talking about the black hole later in the movie you dip.
>>
>>63353006
>nobody knows what happens after you cross the event horizon

no one knows what happens to *matter*

we know enough about the environment around black holes to know a space ship/human being could not survive flying into one.

black holes are literally the most extreme environment in the universe: more extreme than the hearts of neutron stars.

what's depressing about the Interstellar threads is you're defending a concept of black holes that is actually LESS COOL than what they are like in real life.
>>
>>63353029
How did you completely miss the black hole in Interstellar, they mention it so many times and did you never wonder about the time dilation which they also explain

Watch the movie again
>>
>>63353082
Look it up you dumb shit
>>
File: where are proofs.webm (889 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
where are proofs.webm
889 KB, 320x240
>>
>>63353138
>>63353203
man it's been a long time

whatever, anyway you can get relatively near it just not right on it
>>
>>63353108
>until you reached the event horizon

you can never reach the event horizon of a black hole. time slows down to zero at the event horizon so reaching it is literally impossible.
>>
>>63353179
Holy shit, there is not concept of that they're in real life. Only what it has for effects to a very limited extend. And the movie showed these effects very accurate for being sci-fi. Your headcanon of what a black hole is has no real evidence behind it. There is no real "what they're in real life' because we have NO FUCKING IDEA what happens inside it. Our current knowledge of physics breaks down at the event horizon. Cooper was literally just falling inside the gentle black hole waiting to die before the future human BS happened. Your concept is just him just going in than die. Which was literally happening until all the BS started.
>>
>>63353486
No* accurately*

Your concept is just him going into the black hole and then die*

Fucking phoneshit
>>
File: 1439821929397.jpg (15 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
1439821929397.jpg
15 KB, 441x411
>major plot kernel of your film about smart people relies on smart people forgetting their profession and making the dumbest mistake a physics 101 student could tell you wasn't going to work
>mfw someone even begins to praise this dreck
>>
>>63352698
It's not about aliens or magical love powers. It's about Anne Hathaway single handingly populating a galaxy with humans that went on to reach the technological singularity and build the time portal into Murph's bedroom AROUND that black hole so that their lord and savior Matthew McConaughey could save Earth.

Why? Not "love", just the basic fact that humans give a fuck. Mohammad claimed to be earth's savior 1400 yours ago and people are still blowing themselves up for him. Matthew McConaughey inspired humanity in a more productive way.
>>
>>63353249
E=Mc2

There is your proof
>>
File: 1343186244824.gif (998 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1343186244824.gif
998 KB, 500x281
>>63352951
>Fuck off.

First day on 4chan? Don't worry, we'll take care of you ;)
>>
>>63352817
>No one knows what would happen if you were to enter a black hole
probably get an std
>>
>>63353606
That doesn't apply inside a black hole you retard. That's why the physics breaks down after the event horizon.
>>
>>63353563
>complaining about movie things
>in a fucking movie
>>
>>63353563
Please tell me about their mistakes that had to do with their knowledge of physics?
>>
>>63352698
The "aliens" were likely humans in the far future. That's literally stated in the movie.
>>
File: Fat Ogre Shit.webm (630 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
Fat Ogre Shit.webm
630 KB, 830x720
Can somebody explain how the fat ogre shit figures into everything? I didn't get it.
>>
the saving only happened once

so there was a time travelling but only once, backwards

once matt is saved it doesn't need to happen again

>>63353563
just the matt damon one but that's okay
>>
>>63352698
all totally wrong, and this coming from someone who thought the film was far from perfect

If you enter a supermassive black hole like Gargantua, spaghettification only occurs after the event horizon. Cooper is dragged into the tesseract, which is placed before the event horizon, so he never reaches that far deep into the black hole.

The "they" were future humans, it was a stable time loop, it would appear that even despite Nolan spelling it all out explicitly to the point the exposition irritated a lot of people you are so, so utterly retarded you have failed to grasp the most basic of all twists. The entire movie is an ode to the heroics and power of science by Nolan, so it makes sense that its natural conclusion is to leap off the deep end into transhumanism and have the seemingly godlike turn out to be human and scientific in nature.

There are some visual cues which are homages to 2001 but aside from that and the fact they're both set in space there is literally nothing alike between them.

You are stupid, please do not post again on this board until you have had your head checked.
>>
>>63353815
>almost 2016
>still trying to force this failed maymay
>>
File: fiction.gif (495 KB, 264x148) Image search: [Google]
fiction.gif
495 KB, 264x148
>>63352698
it's a work of fiction anon, do you understand it's all make-believe?
>>
>>63353651
dumbass
>>
>>63353892
Nice argument retard. Please show proof that it applies inside a black hole.
>>
>>63353867

It's an infuriating film because it gets some science so right and some other so very wrong. Gravity works over time as well as space? Love? I mean really, what? And that's before the whole wormholes as a method of communication / travel, as tho that's not retarded, but yadda yadda MUH FTL w/e.
>>
>>63353867
Fucking this. I can't understand how so many faggots on this board have a hard time understanding this movie. It's a fucking Nolan movie ffs. Instead they think some "love power" was the cause for all.
>>
>>63352778
>i don't care if it's a ripoff, the story would've been better for it
No it fucking wouldn't
Leave the monoliths alone, it would only make critics call out Interstella in this manner
"It had the aspiration of reaching the hights of 2001 but it just does not live up to it. The monolith was in poor execution"
>>
>>63353934
theres no point, it would go way over your scientifically illiterate head
>>
>>63354029
Fucking pathetic. It's not possible to prove it. There's literally nothing you can write that would prove it. Sure, you could show me some hypotheses but that's not proof. Stop bullshitting
>>
>>63354016
It doesn't have to be a monolith exactly but some being we have no clue about. Nolan likes to end his flicks in a cliffhanger anyway and it would've made way more sense than love being the reason the tressact and wormhole appear there.
>>
File: Butthurt.webm (179 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt.webm
179 KB, 480x360
>>63353699
>This planet right next to a black hole is so heavily affected by its gravitational pull that relativity comes into extreme effect and a few hours on the planet will translate to decades of Earth time
>this comes from the genius daughter of the genius physicist, essentially the scientific leader of the whole mission
>her entire job is knowing the science of everything they're going to have to do
>We have to go down to this planet because we haven't got a bad signal from the person we sent down saying don't come here, also love, let's go
>Hang on a minute, if relativity means that hours on the planet is decades in Earth time, wont that mean that now, years later in Earth time for us on this spaceship, the planet and everything and everyone on its surface would only have progressed hours thanks to relativity, an absolutely basic staple of modern physics that even people without an understanding or interest in physics would know? If that's the case, then we should have assumed we would never receive a message back because the person down on the planet, despite having been there for years Earth time, would only in the time frame of that planet have been there for a few hours, which if nothing else means that the planet is entirely untenable for human life and survival etcetera, and that going down would jeopardize our mission by putting us out of years out of sync with everyone we left on Earth and the black spaceman?
>OK let's go
>Oh no I forgot all that bad stuff, my bad guys ;(
>>
>>63352698

How do you know?
>>
>>63354152
don't pretend like you have any idea whats going on, champ
>>
>>63352698
Can no one enjoy a good sci-fi story? Just because it's close to a reality, doesn't mean everything's true... that's called a "Documentary" which although enlightening, are usually boring as shit.
>>
>>63353651
>That doesn't apply inside a black hole you retard.

This why you are a retard. Yes, it does. Read a book.
>>
>>63353965
Like I said, it does indeed have its flaws. I'm not totally defending it. But I can't just stand by and watch people try to criticise a movie using such retarded arguments that make it sound like they weren't even watching the damn thing. Especially as their misinterpretations of simple dialogue would appear to suggest they've also missed out on the movie's quite un-ordinary and refreshing themes.

Those themes being Nolan's very much subjective and personal reverence towards science to almost transhumanist extremes, the guilt he feels as a blockbuster director pursuing his life's dream at the expense of appreciating his youngest daughter's childhood, and the belief that humans are a 'higher' species and can choose whether or not to follow base instinct, i.e. traits such as greed, powerlust, and valuing one's own life over the fate of many are not inevitable parts of human nature. There may be more in there but those are the things that really jump out to me, on subsequent viewings the parallels between Gyasi and Damon's situations are a great and light-fingered touch I would have liked to have seen developed for longer. I think the movie has its problems but I respect that Nolan has created a slightly deeper movie than people give it credit for, albeit subjective in its messages rather than reaching for universal truths.

Also, poor dialogue made the 'love' shit more confusing than it had to be. Love is not shown to be some kind of magical energy field or anything, it's simply that the future humans who created the tesseract are so unbound from our own plane from existence they can't comprehend a single isolated moment in time (for Cooper to intercept and contact Murph) any better than we can comprehend a new primary colour or a hypercube, and it's up to Cooper to travel through the tesseract until he is able to find a moment he believes is appropriate to make contact at. His love for her provides the inspiration for his method.
>>
>>63354326
But it's Nolan. /tv/ HAS to hate it! God forbid a director actually try to create ideas-based, original property, non-franchise movies, independent from any political or SJW agenda or box office trend e.g. capeshit, on a blockbuster scale!
>>
>>63354364

Sad thing is you put more thought into this post than Nolan did into his script. He directs great action scenes, he should leave the rest to other people.
>>
>>63354431
The only good, great really, thing is the visual side of the movie. The scenes with murph are goat as well.

I like it for those things, but it's not good sci-fi.

I like good sci-fi.
>>
>>63353101
i snowboarded there today
>>
>>63354490
>I like good sci-fi.
Like what?
>>
>>63354162
What does that say me? That they knew what was going on before they went down, including the physics?

And what's up with all the made up bullshit that wasn't in the movie?
>person we sent down saying don't come here

The signal was to come there. Your whole argument is based on the fact that they didn't get a signal that approved that they should come. Which they did get. The even explained all the physics before going down to the planet to that extent only Nolan can do. So that a literal retard should understand it and leave no room for thinking of your own. Their decision to go down to the planet with the extremely big time dilation was retarded. But they were months from the next planet and they were desperate. But it had nothing to do with their knowledge of physics.

Also, if you still think love had any real power in the movie like gravity or time then it's time you rewatch it.
>>

Not necessarily true. Large enough black holes (as seen in Interstellar) have low enough gravitational gradients that you could survive passing through their event horizons.

This movie had some big problems, but the fact that you think this is one of them makes you the retard, OP.
>>
>>63353281
That's just what it looks like from the perspective of outsiders. From your perspective, you'd pass through it in real time.
>>
>>63352698
>Also there were no "aliens" he even explains they, the main characters, created the events out of sheer force of will, or through the 'power of love'. aliens do not exist
This is what Carl Jung believed about UFOs and aliens.

http://www.cgjungpage.org/learn/articles/analytical-psychology/125-the-symbolism-of-ufos-and-aliens
>>
>>63354435
This anti-nolan circlejerk is just fucking sad desu.
>>
>>63354548
I'm gonna get flak for this, but Jurassic World was a better sci-fi flick than Interstellar was a movie. It didn't violate it's own internal logic. The characters made reasonable mistakes (unlike Brand and this >>63354162) for their characters, and it didn't rely on techno-babble to distract from other elements of the narrative. That said, I like techno babble, and JW could've used more, but it only used it to support the themes and narrative of the picture.
When I mean violate it's own rules of logic, I mean things like the Ranger(?) needing a rokcet to take off of Earth, but not needing one to lift off of a planet (water planet) with gravity significantly greater than that of Earth's
>>
>>63354708

I like Nolan's movies, but deep he is not. It's okay to enjoy films purely for the entertainment factor Anon.
>>
>>63354358
As I said before. Give me proof. Otherwise it's just your word against mine.
>>
>>63354435
>He directs great action scenes, he should leave the rest to other people.
He does actually. It's just that Johnathan Nolan is a terrible writer.
>>
>>63354766
I was talking about Christopher's brother that wrote the script m8.
>>
>>63354435
>He directs great action scenes
The_dark_knight_rises.webm
>>
>>63354162
>there are people this retarded and unable to follow even the most excruciatingly anvil-on-the-head laboured exposition possible who post on this board
magician man was right
>>
>>63354777

try reading the actual paper you're citing, moron. Go tell Einstein his laws don't apply inside a black hole and he'd think you were having a stroke. The existence of black holes is PREDICTED by Relativity.
>>
>>63354578
They knew the planet was affected by relativity, they discussed this before going down, and not in a 'well it might have an affect and it might not' sort of way, Hathaway's character specified it down to very specific units of time (hours and years). This means they knew explicitly that anything already on the surface of the planet, IE the person who sent the message back saying to come down, would be affected by this massive time dilation and so any message they had received would in reality be decades old. That alone is beyond a good enough reason not to go down, and they knew it full well beforehand, yet when they land Hathaway's character is the one who slaps herself on the forehead because she forgot how relativity works. The 'they were desperate' argument isn't entirely horseshit until the script has her reveal how she literally forgot the one thing she's supposed to know.
>>
>>63354791
>>63354823

Oh I didn't realise it was his brother not him. Tough call to fire your own brother I guess.

>>63354828

Worst of the trilogy but still had some good scenes. 5/10.
>>
>>63354761
The Ranger didn't 'need' a rocket to take off from Earth, that was just to save fuel. If they're using some crazy-ass shit to power those spacecraft, then they probably don't want to use half the fuel tank on the Ranger up launching off from a planet that we know conventional rockets can take off from just fine
>>
>>63353651
You would die before reaching the event horizon because of the the strong gravitational forces. You would be ripped to dust before entering the black hole, you want proof? E=Mc2.

Now stop being a retard
>>
>>63354913
Not if it's a super massive black hole. Aka a gentle black hole. The size of the black hole that was in the movie would allow Cooper to reach the event horizon without getting ripped apart.

Not that anon btw
>>
>>63354823
Chris Nolan heavily redrafted the script, Jonah Nolan is way further out-there than Chris Nolan who says his biggest influences are Spielberg and Lucas. Just look at anything to do with the forthcoming Westworld series Jonah's in charge of. Jonah's version has shit like fractal-based alien lifeforms and bubble universes and stuff but also, like most of the stuff he writes, it's edgy as all fuck. Earth is dead by halfway through his first draft, along with Murph, and a big portion of the dialogue after that is the crew, the last remaining humans, bitching and moaning about each other about the pointlessness of existence. I'm serious, it leaked, Google it. And the ending is even more of a dues ex machina.
>>
>>63354990
Friendly reminder that Jonah Nolan's initial pitch for Inception painted it as an existential horror movie instead of the film noir/Bond movie elements
>>
>>63354990
I didn't say he was good. Just that he had a big role in the script and both him and Chris most likely thought a litte bit further than just the stuff they wrote in the script. At least to that extent people won't credit them for.
>>
The only thing I don't get about this movie is how it was possible for the future humans to interact with the past humans.

Earth as it was, was doomed. Without escaping to space, without conquering gravity, they'd all starve and die out. That's how it was presented and accepted in the movie, no?

Well, humanity was only saved because of these future humans. How did they come to exist when mankind would surely perish?

There seems to be a contradiction here, unless you involve alternate realities where mankind faced no such problem or somesuch.

But okay, there were two things.
Why the fuck did not the future humans that pick up Coop go to save the rest of the pilots? It's a wormhole jump away. Coop had to buzz off and do it himself.
>>
How do we fix this movie in your opinions?
>better dialogue
>let Cooper and TARS die in the black hole but make TARS be able to send the data to Hathaway
>She sends the data to Murph
>last scene is Hathaway on the new planet
>>
MUUUUUUUUUUUUURPH
>>
>>63355202
>cut out the 45 minute long dirt farmer subplot that lead exactly nowhere
>much longer and crazier visual elements
>last scene ends in total blackness as he hits the event horizon, ending left open
>>
>>63354988
Not true, only way to theoretically get behind a event horizon is to stand on the central region of a galaxy when it collapses In to a black hole. You could survive a couple of hours before the difference in gravitational forces from your head to your feet would tear you apart.
>>
>>63355310
They really should have ended it when Cooper and TARS went into the black hole.

I liked the first 45 min though. Good dialogue, established a good base for what would come and why they had to do what they had to do. Could have been shorter but the movie doesn't really begin to fall apart until the black hole.
>>
>>63355328

Not so, I'll let Lenny explain it to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnItLp3NR5I
>>
>>63355508
>string theory

I'm not gonna bother
>>
I really wonder how the original script was like. Most of the bullshit in the movie was probably Chris Nolans input.

If you read the wiki page on the movie youll see Nolan had retarded ideas like having characters travel at the speed of light.

Despite all the scientific innacuracies its my favorite sci-fi movie of the century.
>>
>>63355677
You can find the original script online. And Chris didn't have the retarded ideas but his brother. Also, if you judge a sci-fi from its scientific accuracy I don't think you know what sci-fi is.
>>
>>63355182

those humans are from the same time when the movie began, the hathaway character already said that the ship carried her offspring so that if the plan to bring the earthicans through the wormhole failed (the mcnahey after tesseract off-screen mission) she would have been awoken much later, not sure if the earlier ships had this seed bank

this off-screen seed bank was basically the origin of the people who made the tesseract

and since the planets will orbit the blackhole for so long into the far future it is possible they understood the gravity to build a device to manipulate the past

not that they are in the past themselves

this hinges on the change of knowledge that mcnauhuey's daughter had before and after the gravity manipulation, the quantum equation or whatever solution could only be given to her by the future earthicans which they figured out themselves, which means that they were not the earthicans that cooper inspired near the end of the film

plan a use data about gravitational anomaly blah
plan b seedships

in reality plan b started plan a

or something like that
>>
>>63352698

what are you, some kind of gay scientist?

where's your proof asshole?
>>
>>63355784
I know, I dont.

The thing is most people who criticize Interstellar seem to think the main theme of the movie was the science involved, when it was actually just a background for the development of the plot, the human relations depicted.
>>
>>63352698
hello reddit
>>
You guys are fucking retarded.
The time manipulation was created by really really advanced humans from the future. They could use gravity to send something trough wormholes and in time. That's also how they send Cooper to somewhere he could be found.
>>
>>63352698
"they" being "us" doesn't mean specifically that group of people, but whatever humans and their descendants are in the future.
>>
>>63352698
2001 was definitely aliens bro, by the point of humans discovering the monolith on the moon they had developed as far beyond the race they were when they seeded the monoliths as humans had beyond monkeys and become beings of pure consciousness.

Also I don't know how many films you've seen but they don't all make sense 100% of the time, personally I reckon they make a lot of it up off the top of their heads.
>>
>>63355665
Stringfags are nuts, but MONDfags are no better.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.