[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a pleb or patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg (87 KB, 612x451) Image search: [Google]
Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg
87 KB, 612x451
Was he a pleb or patrician?
>>
>>63351077
Who the fuck cares, get him off this board.
>>
King of the plebs. The man killed film criticism forever.
>>
Patrician although he made some mistakes. inb4 we epically make fun of him for his illness because 4chan's known to be edgy and recent transplants gotta be as epic as possible to fit in.
>>
He was pleb in a patrician way. Or the other way around.
>>
>>63351114
He had cancer, what's so special about that?
>>
>>63351077
His Great Films list is a pretty good way to get into film, patrician for the most part. Got a bit too personal at times though, which got in the way of professional critcism like with his review of Blue Velvet
>>
both, that's why he was so successful
>>
>>63351188
Did he have a feud with Lynch or something? He gave him mostly thumbs up.
>>
>>63351077

100% patrician. anyone who calls this man a pleb is just regurgitating shit they hear on this board. he was an incredible writer and thinker and brought film criticism into the public spotlight. he'll be missed.
>>
inb4 Korineguy pasta
>>
File: SLACKJAW.webm (1 MB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
SLACKJAW.webm
1 MB, 720x360
I was overjoyed when I heard on /tv/ that this charlatan had finally died, but I was also saddened by the fact that he hadn't suffered that much before deciding that he could insult film criticism no longer. The pain and suffering that he went through is only a fraction of the evil that he inflicted on the millions of cinematically illiterate teenagers. When I found out that the old fart had finally decided to not assault the public with his adolescent approach to art, I pulled off the framed picture of Armond White from my wall, kissed it reverently, and immediately embarked on a Korine marathon. Good riddance, you jawless hack.
>>
>>63351320
Nah, he just bitched a lot about his perceived sexual exploitation of Isabella Rossellini and how she was treated like cattle rather than giving a valid critique of the film. Something about it being over satirical too. Also from what I've seen he disliked most Lynch films, the only one saw a positive review of was Mullholland Drive.
>>
>>63351077
He was a pleb if by pleb you mean concerned with film on an emotional level

He simply happened to be the best plebian film reviewer out there. Read his reviews of superhero movies and try and convince me otherwise.

He was also objectively a better writer than any of his contemporaries or acolytes. He could have written novels if he'd wanted.
>>
He was an excellent writer and he really had a knowledge and passion for what he was talking about. Not the most patrician tastes but he was solid and dependable.
>>
>>63351418
He gave both Straight Story and Inland Empire a full score. I don't think even many Lynch fans can go as far as that.
>>
Pleb, kek desu senpai
>>
>>63351077
Didn't he give Prometheus a 4/4?
>>
ITT Criterionbabbies and Nolanfags patronizing one of the most important film critics of the last 20 years.
>>
>still remembering film critics

honestly I feel sorry for you people, it must be awful having this kind of slavish need for authority.

people sometimes reference Pauline Kael too. meanwhile the names of the actual writers of a lot of classic movies aren't remembered. it's incredibly sad.
>>
>>63351591
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>63351538

this

he was middle of the road but skilled at being so
>>
have you read the essay where Based Rosenbaum BTFO Kael about Kane/Welles?

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.net/1972/04/i-missed-it-at-the-movies-objections-to-%E2%80%9Craising-kane%E2%80%9D/
>>
>>63351769
Kael was a hack and it's sad how hard Armond White tried to be her
>>
File: 1448257750077.jpg (40 KB, 334x442) Image search: [Google]
1448257750077.jpg
40 KB, 334x442
>Roger Ebert is the sole male to be interviewed by Arquette. He expresses his belief that studio executives greenlight projects based on the tastes of adolescent boys and young men, who tend to favor light comedies, laced with bathroom humor, and action films. Neither of these genres offers substantial roles for women, especially older women.
>"The function of the murders is to make visible the frenzy of the territorial male when his will is frustrated. The movie gives shape and form to road rage, golf course rage, family abuse and some of the scarier behavior patterns of sports fans."

He's such a cvck. He's Antia tier
>>
>>63351077
neither, he was a troll
>>
>>63351386
>framed picture of Armond White
>Korine marathon
10/10

How have I not seen this before?
>>
>>63353038
How new are you? Pasta don't get much more staler than that or it'd be able to walk off the plate its on.
>>
>>63353712
I remember his death, which is why I was wondering how I hadn't seen it.
>>
File: JUNGLE FEVER.png (541 KB, 745x416) Image search: [Google]
JUNGLE FEVER.png
541 KB, 745x416
blacked
>>
>>63351077
He was a gigantic pleb however he was always right about comedy.
>>
>>63351114
Cry about it, faggot. Do you think he gives a shit if some autistic neckbeard makes fun of him?
>>
File: total recall.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1035) Image search: [Google]
total recall.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1035
>tfw PSH will never play Ebert in a biopic
>>
He doesn't like the original texas chainsaw massacre fuck that guy
>>
>>63353948
>Do you think he gives a shit if some autistic neckbeard makes fun of him?
He got mad at Rob Schneider for calling him an idiot so of course he does.
>>
I guess I respect him for the sheer amount of reviews he made. But we have different taste. I for one really liked blue velvet, and I hated thew way he did a 180 on Donnie Darko after it got popular. I don't understand his comments about women and movies, every movie in the last decade has had a shoehorned romance.

Call me a pleb all you want but the nail in the coffin for me was his constant shitting on videogames. It's fine if he had any kind of arguemne tthat was born from anything but pure ignorance on the topic, but he didn't. It boiled down to "i dont like new things". If he was born 120 years ago he'd be a book critic and complain about movies.
>>
>>63351386 (You)
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.