[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things that trigger you in movies Pic related is a big
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 600x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 600x839
ITT: Things that trigger you in movies
Pic related is a big one for me: actors/actresses that play instruments on film that obviously aren't actually playing the instrument and don't know how to play the instrument. The way Rooney has her right hand screams "I don't know how to play"; almost every beginner who holds a guitar for the first time puts their hand like that, while no actual guitarist does (except for virtuoso extraordinaire Lil Wayne).

The wear and tear on the guitar (most likely reliccing) triggers me too but that's something else entirely and not really a movie thing.
>>
File: 73833.jpg (133 KB, 1080x1620) Image search: [Google]
73833.jpg
133 KB, 1080x1620
>>63349250
>>
She looks like she's playing Rock Band.
>>
>>63349292
Isn't that the point of this thread?
>>
>>63349250
whats the name of that movie? do you have any more pics of her holding a guitar?
>>
>>63349292
>not having guitartism
>>
>>63349250

>Things that trigger you in movies

The presence of Rooney Mara. just the worst
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 640x960
>>63349632
It's from a Malick movie shot tears ago that's still untitled.
>>
>no trigger discipline from cops, military or other trained individuals
>shitty accents (ze germans speaking english)
>>
>>63349686
Fuk u queerboi
>>
>>63349250
How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGfAwcMTus
>>
>>63349704
it's called Weightless mi familia
>>
>>63349909
Are there actual human breathing adults that watch that stuff unironically?
>>
>>63349956
IMDb still has it as "Untitled Terrence Malick Project", but with Weightless and Lawless as AKA.
>>
>>63349363
that's a nice picture
>>
>>63349250
St. Vincent taught her how to play guitar in preparation for it though. It's all in a recent Interview Magazine article.
>>
>>63350052
it said Weightless on letterboxd but idk Malick should just leave it untitled and let the film speak for itself, just let it breath man, grass bro, trees
>>
>>63349250
This, only works if actors actually take time to learn

Inside Llewellyn Davis did a good job
>>
>>63350149
I know but one afternoon apparently wasn't enough.

Annie's based though
>>
>>63350142
it's all yours my friend :^)
>>
>>63350159
spookily related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Vxf1-I-k8
>>
>>63349250
This bothers me as well
>>
File: 1442191811906.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1442191811906.jpg
58 KB, 1024x768
>>63350149
>St. Vincent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE7R4nKBK8Y
>>
>>63350149
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/rooney-mara-november-2015
>>
File: hack the gibson.jpg (169 KB, 1024x751) Image search: [Google]
hack the gibson.jpg
169 KB, 1024x751
I want to say Hollywood hacking but by now it's just become part of the fantasy, much like using guns and swords "incorrectly".

The only thing that really bugs me now is inconsistency within the film universe itself, e.g. continuity errors.
>>
File: Jeff Beck.jpg (13 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Jeff Beck.jpg
13 KB, 400x267
>>63349250
Check mate, motherfucker.
>>
>science fiction movie
>we can hear the characters talking and other sounds
>space scene
>suddenly it's silent for some reason

I don't know why people ever thought this was clever. It's immersion-breaking.
>>
>>63350293
OP is referring to her gripping the bottom of the guitar with four of her fingers and using her finger to strum like this shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg

Jeff Beck in that image just has his hand open to use the whammy bar.
>>
>character's singing voice isn't the actor's voice

I've never seen this pulled off well outside of cartoons.

Why not just hire an actor who can sing?
>>
>>63349250
When they do the 'clenched fist with a stuck out thumb' strum is the worst
>>
>>63350312
Don't know when I saw 2001 in a huge IMAX theatre, the silent scene in space with just breathing was incredibly fucking tense.
>>
>>63350383
>Why not just hire an actor who can sing?
Because having Michael J. Fox lip sync worked in Back to the Future 1.
>>
>>63350374
I don't see her gripping the bottom at all. Beck does play like that a lot, though. It's a technique more commonly used by bass players, but by know means is it a definite sign of someone who doesn't know how to play the guitar.
>>
When actors/bands on movies or tv are supposedly playing/singing live or on the spot, but it's very clear they're just playing to a finely edited and produced studio track.

I get that playback might be easier and cost-effective then having them perform live take after take, but shit. Can't at least they make the recording sound like a live recording and not like an obvious top-40 candidate?
>>
>>63350312
But outside in space there's nothing for the sound to travel through...
>>
>>63349250
Most of Whiplash is a big offender of this.
>>
>all those fedora tipping guitar players
>>
>>63350456
No it didn't.
>>
>>63349909
is that something fan made? or is an actual product people payed to watch?
>>
>>63350561
f-fuck you man

https://youtu.be/S1i5coU-0_Q?t=38s
>>
>>63350505
In the dialogue scenes why is there a microphone to pick up their audio?
>>
>>63350635
>not even singing at the same time as the vocals
Fuck off, cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4OAKMbjNY
>>
>>63350652
Are you talking about a specific movie? In any case, the microphones would be on the inside of their helmets, so even if the're outside of the craft there would be air for the sound to travel through on the inside. It's then transmitted as radio waves--which do not need anything to travel through--picked up by the other and transformed back into soundwaves on their end.
>>
>>63350881
In general, although Firefly and Serenity are the obvious targets.

A movie camera just so happens to be recording light and sound waves from a few yards away. That's fine, it's how movies work.

Yet the moment it enters a space scene, there's still a movie camera (out there in space, for some reason!) yet we're not allowed to hear sound, because "sound doesn't travel in space"?

It's fourth wall breaking. Why does it matter that sound doesn't travel in space? Is it because it's hitting a piece of recording equipment? That isn't actually there in the context of the story?
>>
>>63351000
You've somewhat lost me... Light can travel freely through space, while sound can't. How is it then fourth-wall-breaking to include the image but not the sound? There is no sound to be picked up. If anything, the opposite would annoy me.
>>
>>63351332
Because then you're watching the film as a piece of recording equipment rather than some omniscient spectator, or at least a spectator being told a narrative by the director.

Are you annoyed that actors have lapel microphones and sound engineers adjust the audio levels? What if the characters are fifty yards away from the camera, yet they sound like they're in the same room as you?
>>
>>63351518
Oh, I see where you're coming from... The question then becomes wether or not you think the "omniscient spectator" should be able to pick up the sound waves anyway. If you do, I see why it bugs you.
>>
>>63351632
Well if it's coming from a character's point of view, sure. Films do this all the time.

If the characters are hundreds of yards away and it's a windy day, should the dialogue be super quiet and rendered incomprehensible by the wind?

If we're seeing it from the PoV of a character watching them with binoculars or something, sure. It makes sense. If we're seeing it from the PoV of a camera, then no, that would just be irritating.

Usually in these space scenes it's just a "camera" in space. Sound doesn't travel well across hundreds of yards of strong wind. It doesn't travel at all in space. But how are we not hearing things just because of that? What if the spaceship had a lapel microphone?
>>
>>63350239
it shows, oh it shows Roon Roon
>>
>>63351781
>If the characters are hundreds of yards away and it's a windy day, should the dialogue be super quiet and rendered incomprehensible by the wind?

I kind of think so. It's not like I consider a lack of adherence to that an inherent flaw, but I do appreciate it when it's there. It's immersive to me. Though it largely depends on the pov, as you say.

I don't think it's comparable to space-stuff, though. Wanting to hear sounds in space is like wanting to hear clearly underwater.
>>
>>63351781
You've kinda defeated your whole argument here.

There is no atmosphere to vibrate in space. So there is no sound to pick up. If you "lapel microphone" a spaceship you'd still get nothing (Other than maybe some vibrations going from the ship hull through the contact base of microphone). But the audio receiver wouldn't pick up shit from the rockets or whatever

There is nothing to vibrate, so it disappears. What you're asking is for movie makers just to make shit up.

>If the characters are hundreds of yards away and it's a windy day, should the dialogue be super quiet and rendered incomprehensible by the wind?

Dialogue is different than ambient noise. If the camera is 100 yards away in space and a character is talking, yes I should hear it because that's called a voice over. I would expect it also somewhat distorted if it wasn't an inner monologue because he's in a helmet, just like on a windy day I would expect to hear wing whipping. But in a long shot on a windy day would I expect to hear the character's footsteps? No. because wind distorts sound. And it would be strange to suddenly hear a pin drop in a wind storm.
>>
>>63349363

I love this picture

Do you think the Roons made it?
>>
>>63350293

>Jeff beck
>a good guitarist
>>
File: RooneyMara2.webm (3 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
RooneyMara2.webm
3 MB, 1920x1040
>>63349250
god roonroon is so qt ;*
>>
>>63349250
Musicfag here, shit bothers me to no end.

The worst is however when some shitty teenage garage band is playing outside and it doesnt sound live at all. Instead you hear some smooth crisp ass 11/10 production going on.
>>
>hey, throw me another clip!
>*catches magazine* thanks, buddy!
>>
>>63352841
SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW-O-OW
>>
>>63350195
That thumbnail is the first time I've noticed that Rooney and Mara look alike.
>>
>>63349363
>rooney sees mara thread.jpg
>>
File: 1393186580791.jpg (217 KB, 1919x1084) Image search: [Google]
1393186580791.jpg
217 KB, 1919x1084
>>63350173
>>63350149

do u faggot plebs actually like st vincent, i mean have u heard her music at all? like nigga i get shes a qt but its a damn shame about her music, its some of the blandest shit ive heard
>>
>>63355200
I personally like it but I get it if you don't like it homie. Different strokes and all.
>>
>>63349363
>he's calling me a big guy
>but I'm a girl?
>>
File: mr clean watching 9:11.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mr clean watching 9:11.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>63355338

nah dude its cool. i guess i jsut dont understand why ppl like that kinda shit tho. like, music like st vincent makes or even shit like beach house, its jsut weak ass bitches singing over guitars in some boring ass pop style. like the whole indie rock/indie pop/ shit is so done with, nobody making music like taht anymore has anything new to add to it, its a really boring sound now imo.

but then again, im not that big of a fan of guitar music anyway.
>>
File: mrproper.png (101 KB, 388x388) Image search: [Google]
mrproper.png
101 KB, 388x388
>>63355652
mr clean is so fucking creepy holy shit

and they call him mr proper in my country for some reason even though proper isn't really a common word in my language (although correct) and just calling him mr clean would probably be more normal
>>
>>63355740

is mr clean a fag? i just noticed taht he has his right ear pierced. ive been seeing this nigga all my life and i only notice this shit now.

also i wouldnt trust this nigga being at my home and shit.
>>
>>63350293
More like BECK mate!
Right guys?
>>
>>63355900

it's his left bro
>>
>>63356711

doesnt make him any less of a fudgepacker
>>
>>63356874
oh sure
>>
>>63355949
ok
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.