[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what annoys me most about the prequel trilogy? How all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: AT-TE_TCW.jpg (127 KB, 690x370) Image search: [Google]
AT-TE_TCW.jpg
127 KB, 690x370
You know what annoys me most about the prequel trilogy? How all the vehicles are actually improvements upon the ones from the original trilogy.

Like this thing is a proto-AT-AT Walker, yet it's superior in design and function to the AT-AT in every way. It isn't even capable of being tied and tripped up, so why would the Empire ever change the design to something that could?
>>
>>63342737

Isn't it smaller than the AT-AT? Also it was probably more expensive so they cut corners as they took power.
>>
>>63342737
are star wars universe engineers retard? legs are the worst choice for a vehicle
>>
It symbolises the empire's complacency.
>>
>>63342808

no there're not, idiiot

would you rather have legs or wheels? get back to me when you figure that one out anon
>>
>>63342737

because it dosent have a giant fucking window front and center
>>
>>63342737
That thing has two legs on one side and five on the other.
>>
Yeah, it's funny that they're showing all kinds of advanced technology in the prequels and by the end of RotS you see the emperor and Vader inside one Destructor with all those beep boop 70s looking control panels
>>
>>63342838
youre a complete retard, read a few books and maybe then you will start to understand why big tanks with legs will never be a thing
>>
>>63342737
they're definitely weaker than an at at though.
>>
>>63342838
what's square law lmao
>>
>>63342868
Yeah, this is another area where Lucas really fucked up. He didn't even try to keep the retro 70s sci-fi aesthetic for the prequels so the transition from prequel to OT is really jarring.
>>
>>63342868
The prequels and original movies are like two separate franchises that got Frankenstien'd together to form one big ugly mess.
>>
>>63342808
I think legs are better for fucking huge vehicles though. The bigger the vehicle, the larger the wheels have to be to the point where it's counter productive.
>>
>>63342940
Just another reason not to consider the prequels canon.

While The Force Awakens may be kike shit at least it's trying to keep the original star wars feel and aesthetic.
>>
>>63342952
it doesnt matter what you think, giant tanks/mechs with legs are impossible
>>
>>63342952
unless star wars universe has different physics laws square law makes AT AT impossible
>>
>>63343028
>>63343007
Obviously the star wars universe has different rules

Know what's imporrible too? Laser swords that can be contained to a given length, slow lasers that explode on contact, repulsor that can lift vehicles without any propulsion, etc

I'm not the first guy btw, but complaining about legged vehicles in fucking Star Wars is fucking retarded
>>
>>63343069
even with different rules legs are a stupid choice, one single hit on a leg and the AT AT is kill

its not so much about it being impossible but aboit it being stupid
>>
>>63342971
And that's ALL it has going for it: aesthetic ad nostalgia.
>>
>>63343165
Which is why they are shielded, as clearly seen in ESB, also ATATs were made to wade through deep snow and swamps as well as overcome high obstacles like small cliffs, where wheeled vehicles would be completely useless

Now of course given repulsors exist there's no reason for either wheeled or legged vehicles to be a thing aside from the rule of cool
>>
>>63343166

Oh wow, you're so close minded.

It also has strong minority main character and a strong independent woman. Check your privilege, shitlord. It's 2015.
>>
>>63342737
>yet it's superior in design and function to the AT-AT
Except there's a good reason tanks don't have big glass compartments up front for their drivers, if it wasn't for that it would be great but as is it's fucking retarded. They should have called it the Coleman Trebor class. And an AT-AT is a major power projection vehicle carrying dozens of troops and speeder bikes and armoured enough to assault a heavily guarded base.
>>
I rekon theres enough varied terrain in the SW universe where wheels probably aren't the best option.
>>
>>63342737
Ground clearance would make it better I suppose. Also the at-at is a personnel carrier, for invasions. The at the is just a walking tank...though it is pretty badass.
>>
>>63343069
Light sabres are plasma in a containment field, blasters are packets of plasma as well, not just light like a laser.
>>
>>63342737
>so why would the Empire ever change the design to something that could?

Because it's Star Wars (tm), which is a franchise run by successfull people who don't give a single fuck about your nerd shit because there's a market full of ADHD nine year olds they have to sell Star Wars (tm) styled bag-packs to.
>>
>>63343379
legs on something of that size would mean a shit ton of pressure on a small point, that means you can only walk on planices with very strong and stable ground
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWyxFeCUgCc
>>
>>63342737
>It isn't even capable of being tied and tripped up, so why would the Empire ever change the design to something that could?

You don't understand Star Wars. Let me school you.

Recently, George Lucas was talking about SW, and he said "Star Wars is not about spaceships". That is your problem. You think it is about spaceships and AT-ATs and vehicles.

Yoda said "Size matters not" and Lucas was saying TO THE EMPIRE, size DID matter. That is why they built the Super Star Destroyer. That is why they built the AT-AT. It was about SIZE. It was about BIG SIZE= FEAR. Yoda was saying "Dont fear big size, do not think bigger = better", Lucas was showing the two opposing philosophies.

PLEASE look at film as storytelling and not a bunch of actions scenes of vehicles and fighting. You will understand things like this.
>>
>>63342808
>>63342874
Idiot. It entirely depends on the terrain. You realize an AT-ST can reach spots a simple tank can't simply due to being elevated so high. Of course that's not always useful, so it depends on the terrain.
>>
>>63343949
nah dude, its just a cosmetic choice
>>
>>63343258
Repulsors?
>>
File: X34-landspeeder.jpg (61 KB, 640x264) Image search: [Google]
X34-landspeeder.jpg
61 KB, 640x264
>>63344059
I don't have the exact term
>>
>>63342874

that's because they're almost impossible to perfect in our world

however in the fictional universe of star wars, surprise, they've done a good job creating them. and good legs > wheels
>>
>>63342737
>yet it's superior in design and function to the AT-AT in every way

The only real advantage the AT-TE has over the AT-AT is the lower body (AT-ATs are stupidly tall). Otherwise, they're smaller, slower, have less firepower, and carry fewer troops (though, they do carry troops, >>63343505), and their gunner & pilot are ridiculously exposed. What happens when an old AT-TE goes up against an AT-AT? It loses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWyxFeCUgCc
>>
>>63342808
>are star wars universe engineers retard?
>Let's build a 100 metre high dog robot that can't swivel it's main guns to face anywhere but 40 degrees of the front
>Hey, let's build this huge Deathstar and not put grates over the exhaust ducts
>Even better, let's not change the design or our defense after we KNOW the rebels stole the plans
>Let's build a shield generator outside our royal spacecraft so that lasers can possibly knock it out
>Let's build the shield generator on this moon instead of inside our giant deathstar 2.0 so that it's vulnerable to a ground assault
Yes, they are beyond retarded
>>
File: girl-in-wheelchair.jpg (2 MB, 1411x2124) Image search: [Google]
girl-in-wheelchair.jpg
2 MB, 1411x2124
>>63344694
Ah, a legman I see
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (26 KB, 406x630) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
26 KB, 406x630
>>63342737
the All-Terrain Armored Transport were supposed to transport troopers into enemy territory
the All-Terrain Tactical Enforcer you posted were there for firepower.

pic related is a nice prototype AT-ST
>>
>>63342940
Yes, I think the prequels sort of work OK on their own. Well not really, because Episode III tries to tie things in with Episode IV at the last minute. But as a set up for the originals they fail pretty badly because they're different to how the events are described in the OT and they have a different style.
>>
>>63342737
yes but, what is scarier?
that or an AT-AT?

The Empire was in the business of terror-weapons.
>>
>>63342737
The Empire is all about mass production of cheap shit you throw at the enemy, soviet style.
This was pre-empire and C.I.S.
>>
>>63344059
Your mom is a repulsors.
>>
>>63344933
kek
>>
>>63342737
In 1999, nobody was gonna buy toys that looked shitter than ones 20 years previously.
>>
>>63344901
The one that can't get taken out by a Landcruiser with tow cables, seriously they could have just used a 4WD and tied the legs up all the same seeing as the AT-AT can't do shit if you come from behind or the sides and the Empire deploys no support vehicles
>>
>>63344806
>Let's build a 100 metre high dog robot that can't swivel it's main guns to face anywhere but 40 degrees of the front

rebel pilots:
>let's attack these dog robots exclusively from the angle where they can return fire
>>
>>63344965
>"Mom I want this toy."
>"But it's design is awful, son, why do you want it?"
>"I don't care it looks cool"
>>
>>63344965
They would if it had "Star Wars" on the packaging and you know it. They could slap "Star Wars" on a rubber dog turd from Hong Kong and it would still sell.
>>
>>63344991
Everyone is Star Wars is on the verge of an aneurysm, it's the only explanation for the behavior
>>
For those speaking Legs V wheels.

Legs are better WHEN they work. But robotic legs are shit tier compared to animals and humans. Robots can barely wall/run/balance etc

Get up. You can use your legs in some crazy ways. Dancers can use their legs in ways robotics aren't close to.

Wheels are easy because balance and it being simple to use and work but wheels also almost always force good flat or near flat paths. Can almost never take high elevations and other reasons

So yea legs>>>>>Wheels. But since no current machine is even close to natural leg efficiency wheels will do
>>
>>63344907
pretty much this
between revenge of the sith and a new hope, rebels destroy the clone facilities on kamino which fucks the empire hard
despite all their military rigor they're just assholes in chinese tier mass produced armor and weapons
>>
>>63346533
Tracks>Wheels though, wheels get bogged and shit and really are the worst option for any highly demanding off road shit
>>
>>63346603
No faggot, the Empire destroys the clone labs because Kamino for some bizarre reason never adequately explained goes full Rebel sympathetic
>EU isn't canon
Fuck it, there's no alternative explanation offered by Disney so what else am I meant to assume?
>>
>>63346627
>implying tracks don't need a living shit ton of maintenance
>>
>>63342737
Blame the shitty chinese art director who wanted to flex his portfolio muscles while completely ignoring the proper aesthetics
>>
>>63346719
I never implied that though kouhai, I just said they don't get fucking bogged and other shit a wheeled vehicle suffers from. Really in a world where land speeders exist there's no reason to EVER use legs or wheels or tracks so SW engineers suck at their job
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.