[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: the thing.jpg (231 KB, 1720x812) Image search: [Google]
the thing.jpg
231 KB, 1720x812
Last one died, new horror thread

don't hold back on the spooky. The Thing and Alien are of course a couple of the best. What genre are they exactly? Suggestions for more like them?
>>
File: TheBeyond1.jpg (983 KB, 1969x2921) Image search: [Google]
TheBeyond1.jpg
983 KB, 1969x2921
>>63335611
Italian horror movies are objectively the greatest.

>Like Alien
Hardware (2000AD adaption in the vein of the Dredd movies)
Planet of the Vampires (Alien's Italian granddaddy. It's not that great outside of novelty value. It's like a long and goofy Twilight Zone episode but you can see the inspiration)

>like The Thing
Prince of Darkness (similar John Carpenter movie that nobody ever wants to talk about. It's pretty damn cool.)
>>
File: the-thing_1.jpg (156 KB, 3616x1568) Image search: [Google]
the-thing_1.jpg
156 KB, 3616x1568
>>63335731
Thanks for Hardware suggestion. Prince of Darkness is underrated and I love it too, as well as In the Mouth of Madness.
>>
>>63335852
I really like Hardware. It's director only managed to get one more movie, Dust Devil, made but it's also good. The problem is that the producers destroyed it with an awful cut. The Director's Cut is very interesting. It's cool to a see an African movie that's professionally made and deals with distinctly African themes without being about strong expatriot women returning home and being shocked by gender inequality.
>>
File: the thing 1951.png (931 KB, 1390x1032) Image search: [Google]
the thing 1951.png
931 KB, 1390x1032
>>63335941
Cool, thanks. Another added to the list. Maybe I will give Hardware a watch in a few minutes then.

I'm looking for some really scary shit, can you help me /tv/? Something that is going to keep me at the metaphorical edge of my seat (because I'll probably lay in bed while watching). Please. Scariest of the scary.
>>
>>63336157
>Scariest of the scary
I don't see enough horror to be a good judge but here are some more general recommendations:
Sinister (warning: swings between 9/10 and 3/10 between scenes)
Rec (Spanish found-footage zombie movies, probably best of found-footage)
City of the Living Dead (Lucio Fulci can create really creepy atmosphere and his violence tends to be very effective because you rarely see anything else like it. Also he makes great dark scenes, but The Beyond has his best spooky things in the dark scene.)
>>
>>63336300
I really need to make a list of movies I've seen, but god damn that is in the hundreds. I wasn't a fan of [rec], but I did like City of the Living Dead a lot. I am a really big fan of horror films in that era. Sinister and Beyond are added to the list!
>>
I want to have trouble sleeping. I want to be so scared and twisted after viewing it that I can't sleep.

Anything else?
>>
I just marathoned Saw (had seen most before) and I've seen Hostel before. What are some more movies like that? They are not good movies, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to just sit back, turn my brain off and watch them.

I feel like with a few changes Saw could've been a good franchise, but they just do so many things in each installment that feels like a slap in the face to the viewers. First one is probably the only good one out of the series, that twist is still really good.

Or just recommend me some 90/80's gory horror stuff. I've not watched a ton of horror. Atmospheric is my favorite, but I can find that by myself.
>>
>>63337045
Hostel tried too hard on the gore, I think. Wasn't there a girl who popped an eyeball and yellow/green shit came out? Eh...

And as for Saw, they have way too many movies. The first was good back in the day, but the more of them I watched, the number I became to the gore. Occasional gross stuff, but it's not something I'd re-watch. I'm not even sure if I saw the last one. How many are out? Five? Six? Overrated.
>>
>>63337166
I haven't watched Hostel since they came out, so I don't really remember. I know what you mean, as I watched them I thought "this was shocking?". Last ones just felt like B-movies with all that cheap looking gore and buckets of blood. It was just something I wanted to finish and I didn't remember any of them, so had to re-watch the earlier ones. There are 7 of them, some have interesting concepts, but none of them end up being satisfying overall.

I guess I'm basically asking for gory movies I can turn my brain off and enjoy.
>>
File: wake me up.jpg (5 KB, 99x109) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.jpg
5 KB, 99x109
I really like 70s, 80s and 90s stuff. 2000 and beyond have a lot of really, really awful CGI. I liked Dagon for example, but the CGI was cringeworthy. Hell, even Cabin in the Woods had shit CGI.

So I'm going with The Beyond right now, Hardware had actors with accents I had some trouble understanding and there is A LOT of orange. Maybe it's another color, I'm color blind, but I'm sure it's intentionally like that.

I will probably watch more after this goes off because of my insomnia. Hardware didn't seem bad, just not the pace I'm looking for right this minute. Maybe once this movie is done.

Phantasm movies any good? I watched a bit of the first one and remember the scene with the boy running away from "some brown thing on the ground." I think there was mention of a tall man? I don't fully remember, but I know there are four out. Any besides the first worth watching?

Oh, last night I watched Braindead (Dead or Alive?). I highly enjoyed the lawnmower vs. zombie scene, that was great. Really nice to be able to relate to a beta character like Lionel taking fucking charge. His uncle, even though he was a dick, was pretty badass too, especially during the cleaver and knife scene when he hacked up all those bodies. Campy stuff, enjoyable. But not very scary.

I'm waiting /tv/...
>>
File: cant wake up.jpg (112 KB, 990x1090) Image search: [Google]
cant wake up.jpg
112 KB, 990x1090
>>63337286
Ah well I really liked Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2. I'm sure you've seen Evil Dead movies. Re-Animator is good. Demons is good. Nothing spectacular, but I thought they were all very enjoyable even with the simple plots.
>>
File: horror (top 3).png (430 KB, 825x408) Image search: [Google]
horror (top 3).png
430 KB, 825x408
What are your three favorite horror movies?
>>
>>63337484
I've only watched Drag Me to Hell and thought it was awful, I've generally avoided Sam Raimi's movies. Really liked the new Evil Dead though. I'll watch Evil Dead (original) someday. Re-Animator is on my watch list and I've got a bunch of Dario stuff on it, but not Demons. I'll put it on there, cheers!
>>
>>63337587
Oh for fucks sake don't judge Sam Raimi based on DMtH. Please do yourself a favor and watch the Evil Dead trilogy. Also don't listen to anyone who tells you you can skip the first one and starting with ED2 will do fine. Those people are very untrustworthy.
>>
>>63337166
yeah Hostel tried a little too hard to look like that kind of film but it really wasn't in the end. It was just like "hey look gore fans, a-am i edgy enough now? look! it's an eyeball! LOOOOK!"
It's just an excuse to put torture sequences and there's barely any story. And let's not even talk about the acting.
>>
>>63335731
>Italian horror movies are objectively the greatest.
lol

The Beyond is a great horror movie though so any horror fan ought to check it out.

PoD is a great movie too.
>>
File: movies.jpg (583 KB, 2002x978) Image search: [Google]
movies.jpg
583 KB, 2002x978
>>63337498
According to my Letterboxd, but I have not rated older movies.
>>
>>63337646
I'll watch both & Army of Darkness when I get around to it/get on a private tracker. They just took less priority when I read all the "Wow Sam Raimi is back!" comments about DMtH.
>>
>>63337498
I'm pretty indecisive, so narrowing it down to just three is pretty tough.

>Alien
>The Thing
>Prince of Darkness
>In the Mouth of Madness
>Angel Heart
>The Fog
>The Dead Zone
>Pet Sematary

Well shit, that's eight. Alien and The Thing are probably my top two, but I say that only because I think they have good re-watch value. Just my opinion, of course.
>>
What happened to the "New Wave of French Horror"? Haven't heard about any French horror movies in 2-3 years now. They pumped out a ton of good shit for a few years.
>>
>>63337746
OP here, the original Evil Dead was scarier than the second, but they are both campy if you enjoy that. Practical effects are just SO much better, even if they are 20-30 years old or more. I haven't seen Drag Me to Hell, so I can't relate to why it's bad.

Ghosts of Mars- is that John Carpenter? Probably the only one of his movies I haven't watched.
>>
>>63337746
Well I'm glad to hear you didn't write them off because of that. I recommend you push those movies back to the forefront of your priorities (especially the first, being the only horror movie in the series).

I didn't like DMtH either.
>>
>>63337045
Just look up either imdb page and look at the recommended/others have seen list.
>Last House on the Left (remake probably)
>I Spit on Your Grave (remake again)
>Martyrs (maybe)
>most of Eli Roths stuff is pretty mindless
>braindead/dead alive
>Evil Dead 1&2 (personal fav probably not gore filled enough as they are old, but are both excellent movies)
>>
>>63337764
The Thing and Jacob's Ladder round out my top five. I completely agree that Alien and The Thing have amazing replay value. I notice something new every time I watch them.
>>
>>63337417
If you like Lionel, Ash from ED was kind of beta in the first one but manned the fucked up by the end of the movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 740x493
Who /julie/ here?
>>
File: 1448100896336.jpg (129 KB, 917x752) Image search: [Google]
1448100896336.jpg
129 KB, 917x752
>>63338668
Shit, you know it anon. That's such a cool fucking movie. Considering that it's the second unknown sequel to a cult movie I was expecting absolute trash but it was great. It had some cooler effects than the original and it did a great job of recreating the havoc and terror of the original with new situations.

Also it's got that groovy early 90's feel to it, it's like watching an R rated power rangers movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 364x246) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 364x246
Reanimator is cheese but alot of fun.
>>
File: faves.jpg (734 KB, 2260x888) Image search: [Google]
faves.jpg
734 KB, 2260x888
>>63337498
These.
>>
>>63338805
Could you please try to explain the appeal of Werewolf and Nightmare to me? I'm a big George Romero fan so there's at least a bit of common ground.

I felt like Werewolf was just a whole bunch of okay shit thrown together with nice Werewolf effects and not much else while Nightmare became a classic pretty much only because of its premise. I think Hellraiser's more worthy of meme-status than Nightmare, aside from Freddy being cool I could never dig those movies.
>>
File: image.gif (164 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
164 KB, 426x600
>>63338792

Be sure to check out From Beyond and Castle Freak if you want more Gordon/Combs/Crampton goodness
>>
File: splinter.jpg (19 KB, 220x325) Image search: [Google]
splinter.jpg
19 KB, 220x325
Splinter (2006) is a pretty good movie that takes lots of ideas from The Thing. It also uses practical effects so it looks spooky as fuck.

>that crackling noise
>>
>>63335611
>What genre are they exactly?

they're horror. horror has always had an element of sci-fi, it goes back to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein before the sci-fi genre even existed.

in some respects Frankenstein is the first AI story.
>>
>>63338842
I never got into Hellraiser.
The appeal to Werewolf to me is its overall approach to horror. It was one of the only movies to really get the combination of horror and comedy right. Put a good spin on the classic Universal werewolf story. Plus REALLY good practical effects for its time. I just really love it, personally.

I love Nightmare for its really eerie dream-like tone. It has a perfect feel and Freddy is a really creepy character in this. Not the fucking comedian he became in later movies.
>>
>>63338842
Werewolf is good because of how well it balances the tone.

the heart of the horror in Werewolf is the fact that the protagonist has a moral responsibility to kill himself but can't bring himself to do it, so innocent people die. it's WAAAAY darker and more psychological than "guy with a knife is chasing me for having sex" movies. that's the heart of the film, it's the subtext of the nightmare dream sequence about Nazi Werewolves killing the main character's family: the main character is being transformed into something evil that will destroy everyone around him, and that's the best analogue his subconscious can come up with.

Nightmare is a shitty 80s movie by comparison, although, yeah, cool premise.
>>
File: Melinda-Clarke-Wallpaper.jpg (69 KB, 580x464) Image search: [Google]
Melinda-Clarke-Wallpaper.jpg
69 KB, 580x464
>>63338668
Definately an interesting tone in its own right. Still love the original the best.

Fuck me but Mindy Clarke is HOTTTTTT.
>>
>>63338668
I loved the first three movies, they were all great. Great for different reasons, but still great. The last two movies in the series in other hand are trash, though I did appreciate the return of the tarman in the last one.
>>
>>63338842
Not him, my favorite things about AAWiL is everything about it that isn't the werewolf itself. I love the mystery and the fact that the whole town knows it exists but refuses to acknowledge it. I love the strange fever dream sequences. I love the visions he has of his progressively decomposing friend talking to him and trying to convince him that the only way to end the madness is to end it himself. Everything about it is so weird and unlike any other werewolf movie, which is a style of horror I've never been particularly into. To top it off it had the balls to shoot a detailed transformation scene in a very well lit room. Basically that movie set the bar for werewolf movies so high that it's hard to see it ever being topped. The only other werewolf movies I love are The Howling and Dog Soldiers.

As for ANoES for me it's more about the concept than Freddy Krueger himself. It's the idea of an inescapable monster that attacks people where they're most vulnerable, most helpless, and where he's most powerful. Plus it has that 80s vibe and weird practical effects that make the movie very dreamlike.
>>
>>63338842

I'm a big fan of Nightmare but even I'll admit that it's aged terribly. Plus Heather Langenkamp is awful.
>>
File: file_168249_0_Tall-Man.jpg (49 KB, 432x480) Image search: [Google]
file_168249_0_Tall-Man.jpg
49 KB, 432x480
The Phantasm series for damn sure.
>>
>>63338842
Hellraiser was very ambitious but the result in my opinion is kind of a mess in terms of pacing and believability. Also does anyone know what that thing that sprouted from the fire was at the end?

I guess this is a good time to say I've never seen any of the sequels.
>>
>>63339493
If I like Dog Soldiers would I like The Howling? I think I'll probably watch it anyway now but is there anything to know beforehand?

>>63339731
Hellraiser actually does alright with its sequels. I actually think that:

Hellraiser 3 > Hellraiser 2 > Hellraiser
>>
File: howling.jpg (23 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
howling.jpg
23 KB, 800x450
>>63339804
>If I like Dog Soldiers would I like The Howling?
Well, maybe. Dog Soldiers had some of the most intimidating, hard to beat werewolves I've ever seen. The Howling gets unintentionally cheesy at times but it's about as effective of a traditional werewolf movie as it gets. It's one of the hallmarks of the style for that reason. I definitely recommend it. If you like werewolf movies enough it doesn't get much better. Plus it has, in my opinion, the creepiest werewolf design I've ever seen.

>Hellraiser actually does alright with its sequels.
I'll watch them, then. I've just heard nothing but bad things about them.
>>
>>63336300
>The Beyond has his best spooky things in the dark scene.
Yes it does. I almost forgot about that.
>>
File: phantasm boy.jpg (43 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
phantasm boy.jpg
43 KB, 852x480
>>63339690
BOOOOOOOYYYYY!!!!
>>
>>63340402
The darkness combined with that other factor that I won't spoil for anon make it terrifying for me to think about. It's one of my favourite horror scenes in kino.
>>
>>63335731
You should check out japanese horror, which is actually the "best".

An example is Onibaba. Striking, creepy and impeccably shot. There's something of Eraserhead in it, I have no doubts that Lynch watched it and took a few things from it as inspiration
>>
>>63340648
I only realized recently that Suspiria has a very similar scene. I wonder if Fulci was inspired by that.
>>
>>63335731
downloading now, more like this? new to Italian horror ... watched pic related not too long ago and it was good
>>
>>63340712
>You should check out japanese horror, which is actually the "best".
lol

Onibaba is incredible, though.
>>
>>63340712
there's few J-horror film I end up liking as much. Kairo and Tetsuo: the Iron Man, to a lesser extent Ringu
arguably more surreal thriller than horror, Suicide Club is fantastic
>>
Anyone wanna have a stream party?
Some Anon streamed Sleepaway Camp I+II and Terror Firmer recently and it was a great time.

>>63337417
Phantasm is excellent, friend! Best watch the extened cut that's on piratebay. The other films I don't remember as good but I think they're worth watching. They're very different from one another if I remember correctly. The first one is straight atmospheric horror with a haunting soundtrack, the second and third are very 80s with child characters I think and the fourth one is low-budget weirdness. The fifth one is stuck in post-production.

>>63338792
Reanimator is so good! Also really liked the later installments.

>>63335611
My list of comfy horror films to watch with your sweetheart:
>Halloween III
>Trick'r'Treat
>Land Of The Dead
>The Gate
>Phantasm
>Zombi 2 (or whatever it's called)
>Braindead
>Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

Anyone wanna add something?
>>
>>63337587
If you think the first ED is cheap weird try the second one as it is the more approachable remake basically.
>>
>>63337770
Martyrs, Haute Tension and Frontiers are the essentials, right?
>>
>>63342401
Day of the Dead is pretty comfy famicom.
>>
>>63342491
Those and inside are the first ones that come to mind.
>>
File: pumkinhead.jpg (70 KB, 650x446) Image search: [Google]
pumkinhead.jpg
70 KB, 650x446
>>63342401
Pumpkinhead, my negro.

...Wishmaster for anyone who feels it's real..

Hatchet 1-3
>>
>>63342554
Is the 3rd Hatchet worth watching? It's made by an entirely different crew, right?
>>
>>63342593
It's worth it for Danielle Harris, and to conclude the saga of Victor Crowley.
>>
>>63335611
Creature Horror Genre. Full movies on youtube,

"Galaxy of Terror".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-KCxZYYVI

"Mutant (Forbidden World)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYUs2SdVlLQ

"Dead Space"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQsbIB3QPc

>>63338964
Seconding.
>>
>>63339973
Best watch Hellraiser up to part 5, it's the last decent one. Although there are many people who also like the sixth.
>>
>>63342747
Can't exclude Hellraiser in space. every nt horizon
>>
>>63343097
That was part 4, right?
Loved that shit.

I also really liked Jason X, if only there was a Freedy in pace movie. Or a tall man in space movie, that would actually make sense.
>>
Leviathan (1989) is a cross between Alien and The Thing... but underwater. The final act is a little weak (the last form of the creature, the last attack, etc.), but before that it's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FskSqAQis
>>
>>63343226

I laughed for a good twenty minutes at the ending of that movie
>>
File: SocietyPoster.jpg (169 KB, 290x421) Image search: [Google]
SocietyPoster.jpg
169 KB, 290x421
I watched this recently and it was a surprisingly good, disturbing psychological thriller where the narrator/main character becomes shaky for about 15 min, but ultimately does pay off with special effects
>>
>>63344091
Society is really cool. great effects, good humour and pretty disturbing in parts, I agree.
>>
File: what a fag.png (544 KB, 901x300) Image search: [Google]
what a fag.png
544 KB, 901x300
it's a goddamn shame that ever since you're next came out, it's impossible to find a copy of pop skull. it was such a fresh film, and miles better than anything else wingard ever did

>>63337697
i'll never understand people's love for [rec]

is it like the strangers where it's pretty much defined by one scary scene and that's it
>>
>>63342401
Creepshow, my dude.
>>
File: 2nd avenger.jpg (137 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2nd avenger.jpg
137 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>63344959
Really cool film.
What is other good jap horror next to this and onibaba?
>>
>>63336479
>not starting the list as soon as you start getting into movies

I'm at 1173

cum on step it up
>>
>>63345100
the curse, I've heard

it's based on a true house
>>
rewatched scream recently and damn does that 1st scene+berrymores death still hold up
>>
Rank meta horror:
>Texas Chainsaw Massacre IV: The Next Generation
>Cabin In The Woods
>Cabin Fever
>Berberian Sound Studio
>Terror Firmer
>Scream

Some of these are not the same kind of meta as the others, they're all pretty meta though.

meta
>>
>>63344823
>early 2000s
>I convinced everyone to rent that movie at blockbuster, and they all thought it sucked

It was at that moment I realized I was hanging out with plebs.
>>
>>63346296
Fucking plebs.
>>
>>63346146
I realized recently that I've never watched Scream, only Scary Movie. Are all the Scream movies good? I find David Arquette to be kinda annoying, so hopefully he's not in them much.
>>
childs or macready /tv/?
>>
>>63346384
I watched Scream for the first time in my life on Thursday night. I can't tell you anything about the sequels but I will tell you Scream got a very mixed reaction out of me. I like the concept a lot, I like the characters for the most part, except Dewey, who is of course David Arquette. The way it unfolded at the end impressed me, even though I can't tell you shit without spoiling it. Also, the video store scene was quite funny.

What I didn't like, however, was the majority of the horror movie related dialogue itself. It came off as so fucking cliche. It's completely full of tropes. To its credit, this movie was very original and the reason I've seen it parodied so many times is because it was among the first of its kind, but that didn't help. For that reason most of it was very predictable.

One last thing, Wes Craven had balls to call ANoES a classic and deride the sequels as shit within the first five minutes. Not that he's wrong.
>>
>>63346489
More badass? MacReady
The Thing? Neither
>>
>>63346630
Alright, thanks! I'll watch it tonight/tomorrow.
>>
>>63346704
You're welcome. Also, Matthew Lillard was excellent. That's a praise I forgot to mention.
>>
>>63346630

It's predictable and full of tropes because it's a deconstruction of the horror genre.

It's not trying to be original, it's basically using horror movie tropes explicitly.
>>
>>63346854
Yeah, that was pretty easy to figure out when watching the movie. What was original, or at least was fairly original, was how some of the characters displayed a keen understanding of how horror movies work within a (sort of) horror movie itself. That's one of the reasons it's considered a classic.
>>
>>63346630
>because it was among the first of its kind

Nope.
>>
>>63347010
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4 did it first.
Well no, not really, but it basically tries to do the same thing as Scream and Cabin In The Woods yet never gets mentioned when this kind of selfaware horror is talked about.

Know some good films to add to my meta horror list?
>>63346272
>>
>>63346272
>>63347160
Oh wait, I forgot American Psycho II!
>>
>>63346489
Why is the ending so perfect bros?
>>
>>63347121
yep
>>
Beberian Sound Studio
>>
File: 1324690418001.jpg (54 KB, 388x380) Image search: [Google]
1324690418001.jpg
54 KB, 388x380
>>63347248
>there will never be anymore 1980s action/horror flicks
>>
>>63347340
Underrated little film. Liked it alot.
>>
>>63339690

Where the fuck is Ravager already? It's been in the can for a fucking year now.
>>
Where the fuck is Return To Nuke 'Em High Vol: II already? It's been in the can for more than a fucking year now.
>>
File: xorvdtwaogugbsasgiha.jpg (110 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
xorvdtwaogugbsasgiha.jpg
110 KB, 1024x768
Play Silent Hill 2 if you like horror.
>>
>>63347910
DUDE MY GUILT TRIP LMAO
>>
Why are horror threads always so much more civilized zhan the rest of the board?
>>
>>63347910

>2
>not 1 or 3

2 looks like candy land when compared to the others. Only reason people like it is MUH WIFE
>>
>>63348089
2 is the best overall, but 1 and 3 are better games to actually play and has better monsters, challenge and more horrifying.

But 2 is just bleak and completely fucked, it also has the best story and most surreal. Its like a nightmarish fever dream, while 1 and 3 are like hell.
>>
>>63338805
Just got done with American Werewolf in London. Very nice recommendation ty.
>>
Can someone tell the title of this one (I think french) horror film that I remember seeing the end of on TV one night.

It was about some adults (I think a couple maybe) being hunted by a buch of kids. Think 'Eden Lake'.

The ending takes place at night in the woods, there's like a wirefence, then an underground section, then the kids win and kill the last woman and walk along a street in the morning light.

Thanks
>>
>>63349037
Eden Lake
>>
>>63349037
>>63349087
Sorry. I think you are talking about Them (Ils). I only remember kids, "underground" (tunnel) and woods.
>>
>>63349173
Thanks, that's probably it.
>>
>>63349173
Okay, just watched a trailer for that and that's definitely the one. Though the trailer didn't do much for me. I dunno, I was really tired when I saw the ending. Can't even remember if I liked it desu.
>>
Good horror movies without jumpscares? I know they are a great way to build tension but my childhood was a bit fucked up and it has made me a too jumpy.
>>
>>63349535
Mothman Prophecies scared the shit out of me
>>
>>63349497
I only remember what I mentioned. I don't remember liking it, but I rated it 3/5.
>>
>>63349535
Spalovac Mrtvol
>>
>>63349564
>>63349575
Thanks lads. Posted twice so i deleted the the other post.
>>
>>63349535
The Amityville Horror
>>
File: tree movuhs.jpg (791 KB, 1955x977) Image search: [Google]
tree movuhs.jpg
791 KB, 1955x977
>>63337498
Note: Favorites. I know there are better horror movies out there, technically speaking, but I've watched these three over and over again.
>>
>>63338668
Edgecore queen
>>
File: frank munster.jpg (90 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
frank munster.jpg
90 KB, 720x400
>>63349766
>sahmtimes dead is bettah
>>
>>63349916
Jud was right though.
>>
>>63344273
Is a field in england understandable and not boring?

I need to know to be in the right mood for watching it, i need to know what to expect or ill probably hate it. Just like i hated beyond the black rainbow because i wasnt in the right state of mind
>>
>>63340712
>le dead girl walking in le unnatural way with hair covering her face movie
No thanks. You see one, you've seen them all.
>>
>>63335731
I'm not really into Giallo but I really love Fulci's Zombi if only for the shark vs zombie scene
>>
File: Aliensilhouette.jpg (122 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
Aliensilhouette.jpg
122 KB, 1200x803
Most well-made horror film
>Alien
Most unnerving horror film
>Jacob's Ladder
Most relentless/suspenseful horror film
>The Thing

I think these are pretty widely accepted around here, for good reason.
Personally I think Alien is the single best horror film ever made. The incredible production value, casting, design and scripting is just phenomenal.

The way you couldn't tell who the last survivor would be until the last act was brilliant.
A deleted scene showed one victim halfway through being turned into an egg, with another victim strung up to be impregnated. It was such an enormous improvement to the life-cycle in terms of actual horror.

Might be a good thing the sequels turned to action, it gave the original a far more distinct and 'original' feel.
>>
File: 1441240080038.gif (435 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
1441240080038.gif
435 KB, 500x213
>>63351052
That's three of my top 5 all time right there. I could not agree more.

>Most well-made horror film
>Alien
Aside from all story, suspense, monster design, etc, one of the most underrated features of Alien is the practical effects of the landscape itself, from the Nostromo/escape pod, both inside and out. It felt like a very believable space ship. I don't think that gets enough credit.

>Most unnerving horror film
>Jacob's Ladder
Yep, I've always said this about JL. There is no situation in any horror movie that disturbs me more than Jacob Singer's.

>Most relentless/suspenseful horror film
>The Thing
What hasn't already been said about that that I can say any better?
>>
Not enough love in this thread for Kairo. Pretty much the last film to actually instill fear in me.
>>
>>63351361
Wait, I think I downloaded that but didn't watch yet. Will do now I guess.
>>
OP here. This thread is still alive? Holy shit. Keep 'em coming, thanks /tv/
>>
>>63346718
I don't know how to feel about his performance
On one hand it's completely over the top compared to everyone else
On the other hand it's just such a fun performance to watch
"It's a scream baby" is the 2nd best line in the movie behind the obvious "what's your favorite scary movie?"
>>
>>63352129
His over excited nature is what's so endearing, in a weird way, to me and that's why I love it.

My favorite line was "Everyone's a suspect!"
>>
>>63335941
I forgot all about that one. Definetly interesting film. I remember being disappointed towards the end though.
>>
File: fairuza_balk.jpg (23 KB, 253x400) Image search: [Google]
fairuza_balk.jpg
23 KB, 253x400
>>63344004
>>63343226
Agreed. I hate the actor who played that bitch boss. 10/10 ending.

>>63339804
OP here, confirmed Hellraiser sequels are good up until 4 and beyond. Then they are trash.

>>63338964
I liked the atmosphere and the characters a lot, the creature had potential but it just never got there for me. Fucking firecrackers and bags of ice? Come on..

>>63338846
From Beyond is great, thanks for Castle Freak. Combs in that too?

>>63338641
Most definitely. Anyone who hasn't seen Evil Dead 1 and 2 by now is fucking up and needs to remedy that. Army of Darkness, while not as scary, is a solid action flick. Alternate ending was best.

I love John Carpenter's works, is Ghosts of Mars worth watching? Ice Cube...? I've got a lot on my list, and it's on there, but I've heard nothing but negativity about it.

Also I like this chick. Faculty is good and has a lot of actors that I think /tv/ would enjoy, if you haven't seen it.
>>
>>63350082
you smoke weed? Then you are in the right state of mind. You don't? You're fucked then.
>>
>>63352708
>OP here, confirmed Hellraiser sequels are good up until 4 and beyond. Then they are trash.
Does 4 take it to space? I've heard it does. Sounds terrible.

>Most definitely. Anyone who hasn't seen Evil Dead 1 and 2 by now is fucking up and needs to remedy that. Army of Darkness, while not as scary, is a solid action flick.
Yep. I love every one of em. 1 is a great horror movie, 2 is a great hybrid, and 3 is just fun for every reason.

>Alternate ending was best.
The "alternate" ending depends on what country you're in. Are you talking about the potion ending or the store ending?
>>
I enjoy 80's horror.

Night of the Demons + part 2
Return of the Living Dead
Re-Animator + part 2
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Comet
The Gate + part 2
Sleepaway Camp
Dead and Buried
Demons + part 2
Chopping Mall
The Funhouse
Brain Damage
Deadly Friend
Fade to Black
Bad Dreams
Troll + part 2
Bad Dreams
Maniac Cop
Terrorvision
Tourist Trap
Nightbreed
I, Madman
Motel Hell
Phantasm
The Stuff
Waxwork
Prison
Dolls
>>
>>63352960
Whooo, Nightbreed!
>>
>>63349535
invasion of the body snatchers. Really haunting, no jump scares
>>
>>63352875
Hellraiser 4 stars off in space but the majority of the movie deals with flashbacks to the origin of the box. The first two are the best and only ones really worth watching, really. Part 3 is shit, but part 4 is better than the 3rd, imo.
>>
if you survived Nang Nak, you probably will be immune to all western horror movie 2bh
there're other great thai horror movies, but nang nak is a good starter 4 u
>>
>>63353032
>>63352875
>>63352708
Part 4 switches between then present day, future space time and renaissance. Pretty cool in a trashy way. Part 5 is also pretty good imo, at least far better than 6-8. One of the only films that really play with the concept of the cenobites in a creative way.

>>63353113
That sounds intriguing.
>>
File: .wav.jpg (25 KB, 384x345) Image search: [Google]
.wav.jpg
25 KB, 384x345
Outta my way mp3 fucking shits
>>
>>63353032
>>63353140
That's just too many Hellraiser movies for me, man. I don't think I've ever watched a horror series chronologically all the way to a fifth movie. By that point they're usually pretty much dead in the water and/or out of ideas completely.
>>
File: banshee chapter poster.jpg (146 KB, 878x1280) Image search: [Google]
banshee chapter poster.jpg
146 KB, 878x1280
Are there any good/underrated Lovecraftian horror movies that are not necessarily based on anything by Lovecraft? Movies that use that cosmic scale of terror type of thing, something where the characters step into something way bigger than humanity etc.

I liked Banshee Chapter, it was kinda clunky, but just the base idea of the movie was good enough to get me spooked. It's inspired by "From Beyond" by Lovecraft, and the title even mentioned in the movie, but instead of resonator they use drugs.
>>
File: March of the Saint.jpg (41 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
March of the Saint.jpg
41 KB, 400x399
>>63353291
Motherfucking Armored Saint!
>>
>>63353297
I think I've gone through just about every horror franchise and out of the most famous one's Hellraiser is among the worst overall. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is toward the bottom as well, but still better than the whole of the Hellraiser franchise.
>>
Too scared too watch this, looks terrifiying.
>>
>>63352875
Potion ending
>>
>>63353358
kek
>>
>>63353297
Well, after 5 it's pretty mucg dead. 6 and 7 are generic an boring as fuck and 8 takes the series in a new direction but in a horrible way.

>>63353362
Hellraiser is okay up to 5.
Texas Chainsaw 4 is a masterpiece on par with the first one. 2 and 3 are shit though as are the remakes.
Nightmare is the worst, with all that silly funny Freddy shit.
>>
last shift was good
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (244 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
244 KB, 563x600
Inland Empire is the best
>>
>>63353327
I think "The Mist" could actually be considered Lovecraftian in that increasingly frightening beings emerge from an inescapable mist that plagues a town. The viewer's understanding of why all this takes place, is as foggy as the environment itself.
>>
I like the 'August Underground' trilogy but I'm edgy as fuck.

Lot of other micro budget horror I like too.

Hellraiser is probably my favorite franchise.

But as far as I'm concerned 'The Seventh Continent' 'Wake In Fright' and 'Antichrist' are horror movies so I would go with those.
>>
>>63353362
>I think I've gone through just about every horror franchise and out of the most famous one's Hellraiser is among the worst overall. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is toward the bottom as well, but still better than the whole of the Hellraiser franchise.
This is what I hear. I've heard after the first one Hellraiser starts to plummet very fast. Others like F13, I've seen 1-3, but after that I've seen 7, 8, parts of 6 and I think that's it. ANoES I've seen 1, 2, and New Nightmare.

As for TCM, of course the original is a masterpiece, but I have a special fondness for 3 just for how many things that are hilariously wrong with it.

>the unkillable black guy
>MAMA!!
>It's just you and me now, fucker!
>Viggo Mortensen in the role he probably hopes everyone forgot
>>
>>63353508
I wanted to like Inland Empire, but the only scene which legitimiately creeped me out, was when that older woman came over to the mansion and began using increasingly threatening language towards the female protagonist: "BRUTAL FUCKING MURDER." - "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Anon, could you explain why you found this movie frightening? What parts scared you most and why?
>>
>>63353585
You didn't find -THAT- scene terrifying?
The brutal fucking murder scene was pretty tame, I don't know why you find that so scary and not -THAT- scene.
>>
>>63353467
I think you're wrong on all accounts.

Hellraiser 1 and 2 are the only good movies. The rest are just bad, with 4 being the only tolerable exception.
TCM 1 is the only good one, but people tend to overlook how terrible the acting is. 2 is fun, 3 was butchered by the censors, but isn't good. 4 is an abomination. 3 and 4 made Leatherface into a cross dressing fag. The remake is actually an improvement and the remake's prequel is also decent. But if R Lee Ermey wasn't in either of them they would have been shit. He carried both of those movies.
The Nightmare on Elm Street movies have some of the most underrated practical effects in any franchise. Each movie tried something new. They were ambitious, but sometimes suffered from that ambition. Freddy's Dead is the worst, but still watchable. I'd rank 1, 3, and 4 Nightmare movies above New Nightmare.

>>63353561
Friday the 13th is my favorite franchise. 4 is my favorite. 5 gets shit, but is great up until the twist, which doesn't negate how enjoyable it was up until that point. 6 is the second best. Some would say the best of the franchise.
>>
>>63353508
3 hours of meandering nonsense. Terrible movie. David Lynch lost it long before Inland Empire.
>>
>>63352960
Thanks for list mate. Added a lot. Still chasing the horror dragon.
>>
File: brendan 1.jpg (266 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
brendan 1.jpg
266 KB, 563x600
>>63353773
>he watched it as a movie
>>
>>63353832
It's a movie that tries to be a film but fails and becomes a flick.
>>
File: the guy adheres.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
the guy adheres.jpg
376 KB, 1920x1040
>>63353734
Well, that's merely like your perception of things, friend..
I personally love TCM 4, it's kind of like the Cabin In The Woods of the 90s (for obvious reasons). Most of its shortcomings are meant to be parody of horror film clichés. McConougheys performance is also top notch and the climax is wonderfully crazy. I agree that Leatherface is no longer threatening but he really only was in the first film and he's at least funny in this one.
>>
>>63353734
So basically, in your view, I've seen almost every F13 movie but the best ones? Damn, I'll watch them then.
>>
>>63353647
That scene gets me every time. It's so great watching the film with someone who sees it for the first time. Wonderful example of a well executed jumpscare. You know what else is pretty scary?
Terry Crews
>>
>>63354013
Pretty much. 4 and 6 are the Friday the 13th fan favorites.

3 is usually considered to be the best Nightmare on Elm Street movie as well.

If you wind up watching all of the Friday and Nightmare movies then there's two documentaries that are must watches.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (4 hours long) and Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (around 7 hours long). They're phenomenal and as comprehensive as you can get.
>>
>>63346489
both were the thing
>>
The Gate creeped me the fuck out.
Also Brain Damage
Basket Case
The first Chucky movie
>>
>>63347368
>>63347248
>>63354318
>>63346656
>>63346489

STREAM WHEN
>>
>>63344091
Thanks man will check it out, looks like it's down my alley.
>>
>>63354236
>3 is usually considered to be the best Nightmare on Elm Street movie as well.
Nah, 3 is considered the best after 1 and sometimes even after NN.

>Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (4 hours long) and Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (around 7 hours long). They're phenomenal and as comprehensive as you can get.
Ooh, thanks man, I think I will. Especially that Elm Street one.
>>
>>63354385
>The first Chucky movie
I'll second this. Genuinely creepy at moments
>>
>>63354318
nonsense, they are both humans. The paranoia atmosphere here between the two is only to increase tension. At the end they both relax and wait for death. It's a disturbing ending but fits the movie perfectly.
>>
>>63339690
This tbqh familiars. I'm very partial to bizarre, all-over-the-place, gonzo 80's horror like The Gate and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOX6-Rw5PWc
>>
>>63355418
The ending is open to interpretation on purpose but this is how I've always preferred to see it.

Neither of them are The Thing, but they're endlessly suspicious of each other anyway. That's the point. The paranoia had become too much for it to matter. They would just sit there, watching each other's every movement until they froze to death.
>>
>>63355479
Ok now this looks fucking cool.
>>
>>63355479
TCM II is one of my favorite Horror movies of all-time.

I think it's really underappreciated.
>>
>>63353647
>>63354154
I asked you "Which scenes did you find most scary, and why?" You didn't specify WHICH scene other than using the words "THAT scene" and you still didn't specify why.

Please be more specific, and explain why. I'm not trying to challenge your opinion, I'm just genuinely interested in what it is about that movie that scared you. One of the reasons I enjoy these threads is seeing what frightens fellow human beings about movies. So, please help me out anon, lol.
>>
>>63355939
I don't think you've seen the whole thing if you don't know that scene. I'm talking about the one where the phantom attacks Dern's character near the end of the movie and there's a huge jumpscare with Dern's face digitally superimposed over the phantom's face.
The other scene where Dern runs across some kind of forest trail in the night scared me too.
>>
For everyone who loves Italian horror you need to watch The Editor. It's hilarious. Basically a parody of Italian horror and giallos and it's just as insane and confusing as those films could be. Those same guys are also making a "serious" horror film though called The Void which looks awesome so far.
>>
>>63356087
Thanks anon! I appreciate your response. Perhaps we will both enjoy ourselves as we go to the theaters this January to see "The Witch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXmlf3Sefg
>>
>>63356246
I'll definitely see it, but I'll probably pirate it. Pretty excited though
>>
>>63356227
Thanks guy I'll keep that in mind.
>>
Thoughts on Mulholland Drive? Why is it so fucking confusing? What the fuck was the point of that woman's face being burnt?
>>
>>63358574
It's shit that was praised by stupid people who searched for a deeper meaning or full blown retards who think they're better than everyone else because they "got it".
>>
>>63358760
Thanks for the backup. I couldn't find it scary just because the story seemed to go in so many different directions.
>>
>>63355893
>Dennis hopper vs leather face chainsaw duel to the death
TCM 2 is GOAT
>>
>>63358941
People always confused David Lynch movies as horror movies because they fear what they don't understand.
>>
>>63359008
Does anyone fucking understand it? Do you??
>>
>>63356246
This looks alright. Might go see this.
>>
>>63356246
>>63359646
Why are they using two "V" characters if they just mean "W"? It's not The Vitch. Fuck this triggers me
>>
I have a backlog of horror movies I got at the library:
>Cat People
>The Blob (1958)
>Creature from the Black Lagoon
>Dracula (Bella Lugosi)
Which one should I watch tonight? I've never seen any of them before.

I finished Christine tonight and loved it. It was really good for such a crazy premise. The acting was great and the special effects were top notch.
>>
>>63335611
We don't need a constant general thread devoted to a genre, and you don't have the knowledge or the intelligence to spark interesting discussion anyway.
>>
>>63336976
Look in your mirror
>>
File: HorrorFaves.png (404 KB, 654x320) Image search: [Google]
HorrorFaves.png
404 KB, 654x320
>>63337498
>>
Spoorloos, tbf.
>>
File: theobjectivel.jpg (34 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
theobjectivel.jpg
34 KB, 352x500
>>63335611
>>
>>63360837
Yeah that hit me right in the autism too.

>>63361291
Thanks for bumping.

>>63361495
Great choices. That reminds me I seriously need to watch Psycho again.

>>63361534
Hell yeah
>>
>he hasn't watched The Last Shift yet
One of the recent unsettling/scary movies.
Also Take Shelter.
>>
>>63362346
Take Shelter is not a horror movie.
>>
>>63360964
The Blob is incredible. GOAT theme song too.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1280x1024
this movie was so based.
>>
File: what movie is this.png (400 KB, 860x662) Image search: [Google]
what movie is this.png
400 KB, 860x662
Anybody know what movie this scene is from?
>>
>>63364920
poltergeist
>>
just saw Krampus, was lots of fun. Great monsters.

What are /tv/'s favorite horror movies to watch during the holidays? For me, Gremlins and The Thing are definitely up there. Also the dawn of the dead remake for some reason. I think it's because I have fond highschool memories of watching it during Christmas vacation
>>
>>63339690
I wished they would finish the series. Ice cream man for the win.
>>
File: Black-christmas-image-3.jpg (41 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Black-christmas-image-3.jpg
41 KB, 600x338
>>63365433
Black Christmas, every year on christmas eve.
The phone calls still make me uncomfortable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZWDPUAQJ9M
>>
>>63337498
1.) John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)
2.) Alien (1979)
3.) Halloween 4 - The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
>>
File: silent-night-deadly-night1.jpg (50 KB, 856x482) Image search: [Google]
silent-night-deadly-night1.jpg
50 KB, 856x482
>>63365433
Silent Night, Deadly Night is also essential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxPi8Vcttk
>>
>>63366070
Black Christmas is great if not solely for the killer getting away while making you think they got him.
>>
>>63347368
Watch Cold in July for a very good very 80s style thiller.
>>
File: SilentNightDeadlyNight.png (2 MB, 1920x1032) Image search: [Google]
SilentNightDeadlyNight.png
2 MB, 1920x1032
>>63366134
Mother Superior is one of the best characters in all of horror.
>But when we do something naughty, we are always caught. And then we are punished. Punishment is absolute. Punishment is necessary. Punishment is good.
>>
>>63365433
All types of horror movies will do for me all parts of the year, but for basic wintercore purposes

The Shining
Black Christmas
The Thing
Child's Play
Silent Night, Deadly Night
30 Days of Night
>>
Anyone got the Winter Core/Snow Core chart? Is pic related any good?
>>
>>63352960

I love how most of these are on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWW_LvuAYw&ab_channel=AmirBasson
>>
>>63367203
If there's a wintercore chart then these >>63366729 should definitely all be on there.
>>
File: images.jpg (18 KB, 292x438) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18 KB, 292x438
i watched the exorcist for the first time a few days ago, heres my experience and opinion:
>everyone online (including /tv/) says its the scariest movie of all time so i was excited when the torrent finished downloading
>watch it
>it wasnt scary
>at all

it was edgy i'll give it that. i feel like the strong points of the film were all the subtle little details: the weird noises in the attic, the priests dream, the weird statue in the church, the demons face, the girls change in behavior, the mothers desperation, and im sure im forgetting more. i expected more in the exorcism scene, not just "fuck god and fuck your mom". i thought it was going to have a bigger physiological impact on me but it didnt. my expectations were really high. i think the key for making a good exorcist film is to be subtle.like god, satan/demons work in mysterious ways. building up tension would be the most important thing in this type of film. make the girl have weird visions, the mom weird dreams, more weird noises, stuff like that. that would make the exorcism part even scarier imo. the film did an okay job with building up to the exorcism scene, i feel like they were rushing to finish the film though. its all about the little subtle details in the film that made it good. i almost forgot to mention that the dream scene was the only part that made made me feel uneasy and it was the most memorable part of the film for me. its stuff like that that made me want to see more of the demon and it made me finish the film. and thats what i mean when i said being subtle is the key. i ll watch the sequels some other time.

tl;dr its not a bad film, i liked the build up more than the the actual exorcism scene.
>>
>>63367948
I'm with you on the subtle details being the meat of The Exorcist. It's like how I feel everything else about An American Werewolf in London is better than the werewolf itself.

Going back to The Exorcist, I think it's a great movie and I think it's a classic, but I completely see why it doesn't affect everybody. It does rely somewhat on the physical "decay" of Regan and the disgust factor, both in the physical and in her language. Especially if you've seen a lot of other movies about demonic possession, The Exorcist might not seem quite as remarkable to some people now as it did in the early 70. I was always much more creeped out by The Omen. While it's not the same, I think it definitely hits the religious aspect home more effectively.

>i ll watch the sequels some other time.
This might be a good time to warn you that Exorcist II is one of the worst horror sequels ever made. Exorcist III on the other hand, a lot of people like that one.
>>
>>63367203
requesting chart
>>
>>63368137
yea i understand the impact it had when the movie was originally released. watching the exorcist today isn't as shocking as it used to be. i think everyone should watch at least once though. and thx for letting me know about the sequels m8.
>>
>>63367948
The exorcism and god stuff in general varied between laughable and boring. But yeah there's plenty of creepy scenes. A memorable one for me was reagan wandering around the doc's office like she was high. All of her symptoms before the physical changes were well done.
>>
>>63368661
Yeah, no problem. It's just the right thing to do. Everyone deserves a warning before going into Exorcist II.
>>
>>63368764
I was surprised how they attempted the scientific, medicinal route before just assuming it was demonic possession.
>>
>>63362346
It's a 6/10 at best.
The main girl was awesome though.
>>
>>63362346
Shit ending.
>>
OP here, thanks for making this thread last for more than 24 hours, great recommendations /tv/. Good scares in some. <3

>>63370896
Creepy atmosphere, but it never felt like she was in real danger. Agreed on the shit ending.

>>63367948
>scariest movie of all time
>pea soup
nah

>>63368137
Personally, kids don't scare me in movies. Village of the Damned, The Omen, Exorcist. I feel like I could just punch those kids into oblivion and take care of the problem. Plot armor I know, but whatever.
>>
>>63371693
>punch those kids into oblivion
hi Maddox
>>
>>63339690
You know, I don't know what I expected going into phantasm
but it sure as shit wasn't alien slave trade
what the fuck
>>
>>63372142
currently watching the first Phantasm. I didn't think I was going to like it, but after the first 30 minutes things really get intense. I don't know where this is going, but it's suspenseful. Not going to look at the spoilers (thanks for that).
>>
File: 1446900710270.jpg (18 KB, 480x578) Image search: [Google]
1446900710270.jpg
18 KB, 480x578
>horror thread
>no evil dead
just fuck my shit up familia
>>
>>63372728
It's definitely a film where the atmosphere is superior to the actual events transpiring in the plot.
Not to say where it's going is bad, but it's definitely not something you would pitch at a meeting and be able to claim with a clear conscience that you believed it was a good idea.

>>63372918
you sir, try again, it's right here >>63337498
>>
File: thewendigo.jpg (76 KB, 497x746) Image search: [Google]
thewendigo.jpg
76 KB, 497x746
>>63372950
Just finished it. WTF? Car accident? It was just a dream? Reggie alive? Is there something I missed??? This movie gave me some serious chills, definitely watching the second one now.

>>63372918
>ctrl + f evil dead
>9 results
you're not even trying anon
>>
>>63353327

Try one called The Borderlands (or it may be called Final Prayer in some places).

It's not strictly Lovecraftian, but if you pay attention throughout it leaves you with the same sort of feeling as his work.
>>
>>63359083
The first part is a dream, it's not that hard to figure out. But why ask about it in this thread? It's not a horror film at all, more of a neo-noir/psycho-thriller comedy or something.
>>
>>63373634
It was not all just a dream, it was legit an alien slave trading ring, and tall man comes back because reasons. Don't expect more answers from the first sequel, they only start fleshing out lore in the third, but in doing so they also lose the "dude what" charm the previous two had. In fact, the first sequel feels almost identical to the original film in terms of events, so if watching things twice isn't your thing don't bother with the first sequel either. For any situations that come up that seem weird, assume alien technology and rule of cool/scary.

>>63373748
Aw shit yes, the borderlands!
I was genuinely shocked when my initial thought that the symbol kinda looked like a mouth turned out to be correct, because goddamn it's so rare to see such a divergence from the formula setting-wise. I would love to actually learn more about that film's world.
>>
>>63360837
They are trying to emulate the way it would have been printed back in the middle ages, I guess. Raw materials were sparse and expensive so when building a printing press it would be cheaper to use two Vs instead of making an extra W negative. It's still pretty stupid to use it in movie posters of the digital age though.
>>
>>63367382
Someone should do a stream chat thing then
>>
>>63373748
thanks m8
>>
File: eraserhead (Quadrat).jpg (62 KB, 571x571) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead (Quadrat).jpg
62 KB, 571x571
>mfw this great thread is about to die
>>
Ginger Snaps 1 and 2 (3 sucks)
Babadook
It Follows

Thought these were all quite good and didn't see mention of them in this thread. (Could have missed it though.)
>>
Anyone excited for this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wox2Oh2EXw
What are some other films you're excited for?
Personally I'm excited for The Visit to come to Bluray/Torrent.

>>63375804
Probably because It Follows and Babadook have been memed to death on this board by now. Now that we're at it I think Knock Knock was really quite good. A nicely hilarious exploitation film in the vein of Bloodsucking Freaks, quite good for an Eli Roth film.
>>
>>63375804
I hated Babadook. Build-up that led to nothing, I wasn't scared.
>>
File: Suspiria-048.jpg (298 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Suspiria-048.jpg
298 KB, 1920x816
>>63335731
Suspiria is really enjoyable. The sequel was meh and the third movie was modern day torture porn.
>>
>>63348089
Nah 2 is way scarier.

1 was fun but not scary, cause polygons.
3 was underwhelming after the gut punch that was 2
>>
>>63367948
Not to tip my fedora TOO hard but I've yet to find an exorcism movie that scares me because I can't take them seriously on any level... Cause exorcism
>>
bump, don't die
>>
>>63351277
>Aside from all story, suspense, monster design, etc, one of the most underrated features of Alien is the practical effects of the landscape itself, from the Nostromo/escape pod, both inside and out. It felt like a very believable space ship. I don't think that gets enough credit.
In the VFX community, Alien is mentioned all the time as an all time classic with practical effects and matte paintings that still look almost as good as today's standard.
>>
>>63379028
I'd say that they look better than today's standards. CGI ages so poorly, Avatar looks like shit after only 6 years.
>>
>>63379268
>>63379268
>avatar
You really can't compare a film that's entirely CG to a live action film man. And Avatar is getting old, yes.

If you would have done all the keying, matte paintings and comps in Alien today, it would have looked better.
Matte paintings don't age but the compositing does. There are plenty of error in Alien as well, like the bounced light on the Nostromo when it's flying in space.
Remember that having CG elements doesn't mean you need to make the Alien CG, just that all the set extensions and matte paintings would be integrated better.
There are tons of CG elements in film you would never spot.
>>
I enjoy the Scream movies a lot.
I like the concept that everyone could be the killer and that it makes fun of itself and the slasher subgenre

>>63349535
jumpscares are just annoying and destroy the whole atmosphere. It's the worst thing that happened to horror.
It's not fucking fucking scary
>>
>>63381095
Well, jumpscares can be well done (without the blasting musical stinger that is and only one or two times in a film with a slow build up of atmosphere beforehand)
>>
>>63381359
I'm okay with it when it fits the atmosphare and is actually the villain and not "oh look it was just Nadine, but u all got sooo scared u guys xDDD"
>>
>>63381479
Yup, very true.
Wish I could think of some well executed jumpscares off the top of my head but the only ones I can come up with is THAT scene in Inland Empire and the black eye thing in Jacob's Ladder.
>>
>>63375804
>Babadook
The premise was good, but the execution in some parts fell short imo, leading to no subtly and a loss of tension. It had some good parts and a good message, but overall it felt weak to me.
>>
>>63381894
Same for me with It Follows. Both films are really clever with great concepts but execution is lackluster.
>>
28 days later...
>>
>>63376446
Fucking great.
>>
File: hor general.jpg (274 KB, 1000x999) Image search: [Google]
hor general.jpg
274 KB, 1000x999
eNJOY fAMILY
>>
Scanners
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.